Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Old-School Wizard101 Idea

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
This isn't exactly an idea to alter Wizard101 gameplay, it is instead an idea that can be easily brought to life with little or no effort (or at least I would hope). I firmly believe that there are tons of older Wizard101 players and maybe even newer players that would love to see the original game itself. So my idea is to actually create a copy of the game, and take out ALL the things that were added onto Wizard101, such as: worlds after Dragonspyre (including side worlds: Wysteria and Grizzleheim) , mounts, pet abilities, gardening, etc. Why? You might be wondering. Because, back then everything seemed a little more fair and everything was well played out. The simplicity of the game really stood out amongst all the others. The storyline was made perfectly and everything else just pretty much fell into place. You created a whole universe that actually didn't have anything wrong with it. But at the same time , it would be nice if the graphics could be spruced up just a bit. Also, instead of adding new worlds and such (like in the present Wizard101), you could add on more quests so we can learn even more about the worlds that we all know and love, like in Mooshu you could have a quest where you go to a temple and defeat some rogue samurai, and save monks who would say, "All hail Moodha the most benevolent, graceful, merciful and powerful ruler of all!"

I know I am not the only one who thinks this because I talk with my friends about this all the time. We all truly want to see this happen. At least give it some thought? But if not, thanks for at least taking the time to read this.

- Kyle

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
I firmly believe in what Kyle said. The game was much simpler back then and to be honest, it was much more fun. I remember a time when only the best wizards were able to wield swords as wands, especially Jade Oni's blade. I also firmly believe that the addition of the treasure card section in the bazaar completely threw out the amount of skill required to PvP and allowed any random joe to buy an insane bolt and win in the second round.

-Duncan DragonGlade
Level 74 Balance

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
Duncan DragonGlade on May 2, 2014 wrote:
I firmly believe in what Kyle said. The game was much simpler back then and to be honest, it was much more fun. I remember a time when only the best wizards were able to wield swords as wands, especially Jade Oni's blade. I also firmly believe that the addition of the treasure card section in the bazaar completely threw out the amount of skill required to PvP and allowed any random joe to buy an insane bolt and win in the second round.

-Duncan DragonGlade
Level 74 Balance
Exactly This is one of the reasons why PvP isn't as good as it was. It isn't right for a level 5 pyromancer (Fire) to be able to use a Fire Dragon (level 48 spell), while at the same time it is a somewhat stronger version of the exact same card. And yes, the item drops back then, such as the good-ole Mooshu themed swords, made you into your own unique individual, as not many other people would have the exact same gear due to the rarity from it. Things were laid out in a different fashion, everyone was equal in their own will.

Bring us a copy of the original! If not for everyone, at least for the people you know what to play it!

- Kyle

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
these was the topic i been waiting for it was a easy time it yous to be everybody party in commons and tower or at there house is or fun clan wars even fun in pvp because everything back then was not so complex now a days it like you have to try to recap the story line just to understand it and nobody wants to party in commons or in towers anymore because there to tired or mad about how hard the game has become and now everybody has become a stuck up player who likes to show off so i like the ideal of a world of old wizard city with wizards party in the street of commons and making jokes and players not being rude maybe you could make the story line go into a world called old wizard city and have like cpu and stuff party and making jokes with chat bubbles and stuff like that and you could go to that world and you have to stop a evil or something and you could see you self there getting you first quest and everything i think that be fun

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Whilst I agree firmly that it was much more simple back in Vanilla, I am afraid I am going to have to play mean old reality again (Which I hate doing).
I don't think Kingsisle would do it. It just doesn't seem worth the effort (Although somewhat minimal).
Most people would miss the features of the other, more advanced game. I can't imagine not have pet talents or a mount to ride. But at one point I walked everywhere I went before Mounts came to be

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
sliver moon wolf on May 4, 2014 wrote:
these was the topic i been waiting for it was a easy time it yous to be everybody party in commons and tower or at there house is or fun clan wars even fun in pvp because everything back then was not so complex now a days it like you have to try to recap the story line just to understand it and nobody wants to party in commons or in towers anymore because there to tired or mad about how hard the game has become and now everybody has become a stuck up player who likes to show off so i like the ideal of a world of old wizard city with wizards party in the street of commons and making jokes and players not being rude maybe you could make the story line go into a world called old wizard city and have like cpu and stuff party and making jokes with chat bubbles and stuff like that and you could go to that world and you have to stop a evil or something and you could see you self there getting you first quest and everything i think that be fun
I also remember when people used to randomly host parties in the school towers and commons. One second there is nobody, but then the next there are hundreds. The community back then was nicer, as almost everybody got along. People these days on the present Wizard101 are more separated than what the game should be. Everyone helped each other if they had a question or needed assistance in a quest.

I like the idea that you brought up the community, and how it used to be more fun

- Kyle

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
Ruthless Anthony on May 4, 2014 wrote:
Whilst I agree firmly that it was much more simple back in Vanilla, I am afraid I am going to have to play mean old reality again (Which I hate doing).
I don't think Kingsisle would do it. It just doesn't seem worth the effort (Although somewhat minimal).
Most people would miss the features of the other, more advanced game. I can't imagine not have pet talents or a mount to ride. But at one point I walked everywhere I went before Mounts came to be
The pet talents and mounts would stay in the present Wizard101 that you have today. The idea that a copy of the game seems logical in all aspects on how it would work out. Different game engines(or whatever they use to host realms, etc.) could be set up so they don't have both versions colliding. People who want to play the original could play on the copy, Then, if they feel like they want to play the updated version one, they can log out of the copy and into the one we have already. Plus people can then see the improvements that they have made since when the game launched (which to me is plentiful).

Isn't that much of a big deal, all they would have to do is delete and/or move the update files into a completely different folder or copy the code into a new hosting site then remove the add-ons. Simple all around, but you must admit it is an idea to ponder about.

- Kyle

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Kyle Myth on May 5, 2014 wrote:
The pet talents and mounts would stay in the present Wizard101 that you have today. The idea that a copy of the game seems logical in all aspects on how it would work out. Different game engines(or whatever they use to host realms, etc.) could be set up so they don't have both versions colliding. People who want to play the original could play on the copy, Then, if they feel like they want to play the updated version one, they can log out of the copy and into the one we have already. Plus people can then see the improvements that they have made since when the game launched (which to me is plentiful).

Isn't that much of a big deal, all they would have to do is delete and/or move the update files into a completely different folder or copy the code into a new hosting site then remove the add-ons. Simple all around, but you must admit it is an idea to ponder about.

- Kyle
It just doesn't seem likely.
You would be surprised how little people would play this version instead of the one we have now.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
Ruthless Anthony on May 6, 2014 wrote:
It just doesn't seem likely.
You would be surprised how little people would play this version instead of the one we have now.
There is no way to find out for sure how many people would play this, so judging the amount as little would be counted as inaccurate. But like always, opinions are always welcome, and yes even though it isn't likely, this was only an idea.

- Kyle

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Kyle Myth on May 1, 2014 wrote:
This isn't exactly an idea to alter Wizard101 gameplay, it is instead an idea that can be easily brought to life with little or no effort (or at least I would hope). I firmly believe that there are tons of older Wizard101 players and maybe even newer players that would love to see the original game itself. So my idea is to actually create a copy of the game, and take out ALL the things that were added onto Wizard101, such as: worlds after Dragonspyre (including side worlds: Wysteria and Grizzleheim) , mounts, pet abilities, gardening, etc. Why? You might be wondering. Because, back then everything seemed a little more fair and everything was well played out. The simplicity of the game really stood out amongst all the others. The storyline was made perfectly and everything else just pretty much fell into place. You created a whole universe that actually didn't have anything wrong with it. But at the same time , it would be nice if the graphics could be spruced up just a bit. Also, instead of adding new worlds and such (like in the present Wizard101), you could add on more quests so we can learn even more about the worlds that we all know and love, like in Mooshu you could have a quest where you go to a temple and defeat some rogue samurai, and save monks who would say, "All hail Moodha the most benevolent, graceful, merciful and powerful ruler of all!"

I know I am not the only one who thinks this because I talk with my friends about this all the time. We all truly want to see this happen. At least give it some thought? But if not, thanks for at least taking the time to read this.

- Kyle
What do you hope this will accomplish? Simpler doesn't always mean better, the Gardening is optional so it doesn't really matter. And couldn't you just do the Wizard City through Dragonspyre storyline? A new Wizard101 isn't gonna make people get along better. And I think this will require more work then you think. I wouldn't want to play a game where there is less stuff than there is.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
As previously stated I don't see this happening. no one forces you to play beyond the Dragonsypre world. Also, you can't just add more quests to one and not the other. This would also throw off the balance of leveling (or could if it was a mainline quest) so KI usually doesn't go back once they move on to another world.

-The RavenCatcher

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
wraithcaster on May 7, 2014 wrote:
What do you hope this will accomplish? Simpler doesn't always mean better, the Gardening is optional so it doesn't really matter. And couldn't you just do the Wizard City through Dragonspyre storyline? A new Wizard101 isn't gonna make people get along better. And I think this will require more work then you think. I wouldn't want to play a game where there is less stuff than there is.
It would accomplish more than you could possibly imagine, considering your pessimistic output regarding this idea.

Gardening is optional, but it wasn't around when the game first launched. It is a good source of obtaining treasure cards for PvP, which makes the overall rating of it lessen. Sure they can leave it in, but the bonuses from it would have to decrease or be non-existent at all.

While you could do all the original worlds, you still have all the newer ones implemented, so to any new players thinking of doing the storyline in order, they would most likely think the world order is this: {Wizard City, Krokotopia, Grizzleheim, Wysteria, ..., Dragonspyre}. Because Grizzleheim and Wysteria are unlocked at level 20, while for a fact they were added later-on after launch.

A newer Wizard101 (ironic to say) would make people more friendlier, honestly, do you think all of the trolls and kill-joys are really going to join in on a degraded version of a game? No, they would stick to the main one as they would see more prey.

Sure the work may be plentiful, but who is to say that is wouldn't be worth it? Don't all good games deserve a remastered version? Example: Halo Combat Evolved. And making the original wouldn't be that big of a deal, they can do what they did and then re-add on all the additions, according to when they can live to the version of which we play. Trust me ,seeing the difference between the present and the past is tremendous. Just give people something to look forward to, as a small project.

You don't have to play Wraithcaster, We will :)

- Kyle

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Kyle Myth on May 8, 2014 wrote:
It would accomplish more than you could possibly imagine, considering your pessimistic output regarding this idea.

Gardening is optional, but it wasn't around when the game first launched. It is a good source of obtaining treasure cards for PvP, which makes the overall rating of it lessen. Sure they can leave it in, but the bonuses from it would have to decrease or be non-existent at all.

While you could do all the original worlds, you still have all the newer ones implemented, so to any new players thinking of doing the storyline in order, they would most likely think the world order is this: {Wizard City, Krokotopia, Grizzleheim, Wysteria, ..., Dragonspyre}. Because Grizzleheim and Wysteria are unlocked at level 20, while for a fact they were added later-on after launch.

A newer Wizard101 (ironic to say) would make people more friendlier, honestly, do you think all of the trolls and kill-joys are really going to join in on a degraded version of a game? No, they would stick to the main one as they would see more prey.

Sure the work may be plentiful, but who is to say that is wouldn't be worth it? Don't all good games deserve a remastered version? Example: Halo Combat Evolved. And making the original wouldn't be that big of a deal, they can do what they did and then re-add on all the additions, according to when they can live to the version of which we play. Trust me ,seeing the difference between the present and the past is tremendous. Just give people something to look forward to, as a small project.

You don't have to play Wraithcaster, We will :)

- Kyle
I still disagree that a new (old) wizard101 will keep all the jerks out, sorry, but that's not how the internet works.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
Sokad on May 8, 2014 wrote:
As previously stated I don't see this happening. no one forces you to play beyond the Dragonsypre world. Also, you can't just add more quests to one and not the other. This would also throw off the balance of leveling (or could if it was a mainline quest) so KI usually doesn't go back once they move on to another world.

-The RavenCatcher

they added in worlds before just like short fun worlds for lower level so they could say go talk to the life teacher to discover a new world the life teacher would send you to a new tower that they just made with bosses of course it a hard for lower level lets say it for level 75 wizards sent there 7 class is you have to fight a boss from each class and once you got the key the life teacher would say great job young wizard now we can unlock the past and we can fined the what ever they have you looking for back then and then you could see like you pas self in the world and stuff like that but here the cool part it look just like wizard city but old and you be able to face new stuff like the ghost you face in unicorn way will look cooler and each thing would have small cheats not like big cheats just easy cheats not on the boss fight but just the normal fights but they would not be like big cheats they be like you lose one turn every 3 rounds because you get stun on that round you know just little fun cheats not really big deals but you could go threw past wizard101 story just these time it would be driffter because you trying to stop a evil that was trying to kill you back then but you didn't know about all because the life teacher saw the future for a short time or something like that that way it fits into the story line and it be really short for high level wizards but it be a new thing to the new level wizards you know and it be just for fun like a side quest but i think lots of people would like the ideal to see them self and the world would be easy enough to solo threw but hard so you get a little challenge and there could be new gear there and be only rare craft stuff there i sure everybody would love that it become like the new commons lol for high level but i so go there and farm 247

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
wraithcaster on May 8, 2014 wrote:
I still disagree that a new (old) wizard101 will keep all the jerks out, sorry, but that's not how the internet works.
I knew you'd still disagree on some parts. Its ok though, everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. I see your side of the story, on how there will be people wanting to ruin anything no matter what. But, who said that the same safety features such as hall monitors would be taken out? That will prevent people in the first place from even becoming what as already became on the present Wizard101.

Implement something to prevent something, and that something will likely never happen at all.
{Hall monitors, chat restrictions and regulations} > {Trolls and inappropriate language}

- Kyle

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
Sokad on May 8, 2014 wrote:

-The RavenCatcher

I don't recall the badge Scribe of The Howlin' Wind, being in the olden Wizard101. They added it onto one of the original worlds as a side-quest [event], so they most certainly can do this. The statement of going back once they move into a new world is vague as in all the worlds (or almost all of them), you have a quest that requires you to go back to a previous world. So in a sense they do kind of go back.

Now keep in mind that I did state that they could do a remastered version of Wizard101 to keep people waiting for a newer game release or major update: "graphics can be spruced up a bit". <- (as seen in original post).

- Kyle

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
let's see. I'm sitting on my mount in my garden watching my pet constantly spawn a pixie and I'm wearing a space helmet. I wouldn't download it.

Brittany Rose

born of the stars and moon

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
purrfectgirl on May 27, 2014 wrote:
let's see. I'm sitting on my mount in my garden watching my pet constantly spawn a pixie and I'm wearing a space helmet. I wouldn't download it.

Brittany Rose

born of the stars and moon

That brings up the pets. When a pet's may cast abilities are used drastically, it makes it extremely harder for others to compare to them in PvP. The statement "constantly spawn a pixie" is proof of that.

And as stated before you're just one person with their opinion. However, I don't see the point of your post onto this implies to be honest, also unlike the others you've only just said " I'm sitting on my mount in my garden watching my pet constantly spawn a pixie and I'm wearing a space helmet. I wouldn't download it."

You don't need to download it, as I've said to another. You would miss out though, as others would surely want to try it out.

Think of it as a test realm not for newer items and additions, but to improve the things that should've been updated already.

Yours truly,

- Kyle

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
Kyle Myth on May 27, 2014 wrote:
That brings up the pets. When a pet's may cast abilities are used drastically, it makes it extremely harder for others to compare to them in PvP. The statement "constantly spawn a pixie" is proof of that.

And as stated before you're just one person with their opinion. However, I don't see the point of your post onto this implies to be honest, also unlike the others you've only just said " I'm sitting on my mount in my garden watching my pet constantly spawn a pixie and I'm wearing a space helmet. I wouldn't download it."

You don't need to download it, as I've said to another. You would miss out though, as others would surely want to try it out.

Think of it as a test realm not for newer items and additions, but to improve the things that should've been updated already.

Yours truly,

- Kyle
I know. it would be a great idea to add this, I just wouldn't download it.