Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Doom & Gloom Update

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Doom & Gloom - 3 pips, 25% damage to all spells AND reduce all healing spells by 50-65%

Maybe instead of Doom & Gloom being just for reducing healing, it could actually boost damage as well?

It just kinda seems silly that can't directly benefit from their bubble.

's bubble helps everyone
's bubble helps everyone

's doesn't really unless you're just saying they can just use drains which are unaffected by healing reductions anyway. Still it seems should boost from this, not remain unaffected completely.

If Doom and Gloom goes up, healing should suppress as well as attacks get stronger.

and still reap benefits from their bubbles.

should too.

Anybody think this would make Doom and Gloom too overpowered?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Yes it would make it too overpowered. Just like making bubbles attack also would OP them.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
seethe42 on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
Yes it would make it too overpowered. Just like making bubbles attack also would OP them.
im sick of hearing op!!! to me there is no such thing as op. better still lets give everyone new global spells each with extra effects.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I think Doom & Gloom should make it +50% to all Death Steal spells. I think this would make allot more sense. Death is slowly becoming a PvP school, just like Myth. Enemies don't cast heals, only people in PvP. Dr Von's Monster ads a heal defect. How does this help in PvE? How does all the Death Avalon Utility spells help in PvE? How does any of the health defect spells help in PvE? I am not a PvPer. I dislike PvP very much. I do hope Doom & Gloom changes to help ALL Death Wizards, not just the PvP Death Wizards.

-Nick level 95

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Emperor of Life on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
im sick of hearing op!!! to me there is no such thing as op. better still lets give everyone new global spells each with extra effects.
I'm sick of everyone wanting everything added to every wizard. The schools and their spells are different for a reason. Making every school super powerful at every single thing is just ridiculous.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
seethe42 on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
life and balance bubbles do not benefit players exclusively~ they boost the enemies as well; same with the death aura. it harms the enemies, but it also harms the team.

i agree with emperor: i'm sick of hearing that any school is somehow overpowered; giving these 3 the same boosts that the other schools already have does not make them overpowered. it's equality, not privilege.

(power play is the biggest waste of 4 pips in the history of ever)

-v.
promethean x3

Survivor
Nov 15, 2008
I try to look at the spells that KI gives us to decide how my character was meant to be played. I'll cover all of the bubbles for you, how I use them strategically, what that bubble says about their designed play style.

1. Balefrost
This spell is meant to capitalize on the fact that Ice has low attack. It's like a trap, but better. You could blade and trap every enemy and blizzard, or you could blade, Balefrost, and blizzard. If you still want to use the traps, go for it. But, otherwise, that's what I believe this spell is used for. It's not really a team player spell. It's designed by KI to give Ice that little boost over the Storm and Fire bubbles.

2. Darkwind
Duh. It's storm! This is meant to do something similar to Ice's bubble. Ice's bubble is meant to be used in cohesion with traps and blades to boost their attack's power. Storm has no issues with that. What this does is essentially create all of the traps required for Tempest. It's made so that a Storm can kill even faster because they don't have long to make their move last. Not a team spell.

3. Doom and Gloom

It destroys any healing outside of steals. That is seriously the whole point. It's a pressure tool which is what Death is good at. It's a team player spell, if everyone is Death. But, the whole point isn't to boost your attack. It's to cut their Achilles Heel.

4. Power Play
I have a Balance wizard. I literally use this spell never in PVP. It's too dangerous. In PVE, I don't need to. But, it's meant to be a team move. It can be used in a Judgement setup, or it can be used to support the other members of the team.

5. Sanctuary
This is the exact opposite of Doom and Gloom. Relieve some pressure. Crush their hopes because you now get insane heals. If Life and Death alternated bubbles in a team, it would be unstoppable. This is definitely a team move. Use it wisely because it's a double edged sword.

Survivor
Nov 15, 2008
6. Time of Legend
This spell is 100% meant to save the time of double trapping. While double trapping and blades used with a Time of Legend could be deadly, Time of Legend is meant to boost or save time. Not really a team move, but it also helps your minions. It's a great move - if you're a Myth.

7. Wyldfire
This move is totally meant to boost fire. Fire is MEANT to be a slow class. They're not fast. It's Damage over TIME. They're not as slow as Ice, but that's why this bubble exists. It makes it so those DoT ticks can be all the more powerful. Really, this with a fully charged Heck Hound would be absolutely murderous, discounting the blades. Wyldfire isn't a team move. It's a catalyst much like Storm's bubble. That's why their bubbles aren't as strong as Ice's. Ice's isn't so much a catalyst as a playing field leveler so they can do medium damage.

So, overall, the point of Death's bubble isn't to directly benefit in attack boost. It's to put the pressure on. It's to make taking an enemy down that much easier. You're tightening your noose. You don't chop off heads like Storm. You make a series of smaller moves that increase pressure and damage. These things build up cumulatively. The point of Death is to back your enemy into a corner. You have to be smart to use Death. Know your bubble and it will serve you well!

I hope I covered these well enough! If you have any questions or corrections, don't be afraid to post a reply!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
life and balance bubbles do not benefit players exclusively~ they boost the enemies as well; same with the death aura. it harms the enemies, but it also harms the team.

i agree with emperor: i'm sick of hearing that any school is somehow overpowered; giving these 3 the same boosts that the other schools already have does not make them overpowered. it's equality, not privilege.

(power play is the biggest waste of 4 pips in the history of ever)

-v.
promethean x3

I never said any schools is overpowered. I said the spell change would make the spell overpowered. It's not equality. All bubbles affect all players, NONE benefit a player exclusively. Death's Doom & Gloom already does it's purpose. It allows Death to damage opponents while still healing with drain AND prevents them from effectively healing themselves at the same time. As for Power Play, I personally don't use it either, but it can be very effective in team play boosting the teams ability to use X spells more effectively. Obviously a 14 pip tempest, judgement or dryad is far more effective than a 7 pip.

promethean

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
seethe42 on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
I never said any schools is overpowered. I said the spell change would make the spell overpowered. It's not equality. All bubbles affect all players, NONE benefit a player exclusively. Death's Doom & Gloom already does it's purpose. It allows Death to damage opponents while still healing with drain AND prevents them from effectively healing themselves at the same time. As for Power Play, I personally don't use it either, but it can be very effective in team play boosting the teams ability to use X spells more effectively. Obviously a 14 pip tempest, judgement or dryad is far more effective than a 7 pip.

promethean
so you mean to tell me that, if a storm wizard (or a group of them) uses darkwind vs. a non-storm boss, the aura does not benefit the player exclusively? why would they use it, in a situation (ie the boss is storm as well) where this is not the case?

my elemental and myth wizards use their auras all the time. as a max-level balance wizard, i have never used my aura in pve; the only thing it's good for is getting rid of your opponent's damage bubble in pvp. and, as in pve, that is a double-edged sword because you're also boosting them by giving them power pips.

my necromancer doesn't use doom, either; enemies in pve don't heal enough for it to be warranted. as with balance and life bubbles, their only purpose is pvp.

if that boss across from you is almost dead and just so happens to cast a critical dryad with full pips (5600 health back), well, that's on you. so yes, a 14-pip x spell is obviously more effective than its 7-pip counterpart... until it comes back to bite you.

-v.