Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What mistakes have you made in the past?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
Just a curiosity. Here are some of mine.
  1. Never knew about Shared Bank. I deleted all of my crowns gear until I found out about the bank
  2. Wasted crowns, A LOT. I get so indulged in hoard packs that I can't stop until I am stripped empty.
  3. Never did all of the side quests. It is so boring trying to do lower world side quests when you are just starting Krysalis. (sorry for the fail)
  4. I posted some very... weird things on these forums before. Now I am much more mature.

I think maturity has a lot to do with those, and how I had a lack of in the past. Anyhow, question.

(and now)

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
I would say my biggest mistake was not researching where to put my points. Now I have to decide if I want to spend 20 dollars to reset them

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
1. I said that I would never mess with pets or crafting and sold all my reagents and pet snacks.
2. Spending all my training points and having to buy them back when the mastery amulets came out.
3. Moon school (buying points back again)
4. Messed up and stitched over one of my Rockin' Outfits.

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
  1. Got rid of farmed Crabling pet by deleting character
  2. Wasted 55 crowns (out of 101 free crowns) on Fire Elf transformation
  3. Using Fire Elf transformation
  4. Training Doom & Gloom

Innate Shadowmancer Haley MoonHeart

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
1) having a secondary school when it's not needed.

my first wizard (balance) had trained all 3 astral schools + fire and death with training points. this was before mastery amulets... so, once i realized how utterly useless it was, i had to buy all of my points back at level 80. it was a mistake that cost me 12,500 crowns to fix, and one that i definitely won't be repeating.

(when i bought back her points, i retrained the sun/star spells, stun block, and death to feint; that's it, that's all)

2) playing with a horrible setup.

it took me running out of cards during a boss battle in avalon and having to start the fight over, despite playing with a full deck, to realize that my setup needed work.

3) starting pvp too late/teaming up with strangers.

i fought my first wizard-to-wizard duel at level 55. at that point, everyone else had started out at level 5 and was a commander or warlord with pvp elite gear and stupid amounts of resist. there was no such thing as waterworks/hades gear or armour piercing back then, and i had to make do with whatever dropped or bought gear i could get from bosses or the bazaar. i also avoided 1v1, in favour of teaming with strangers. bad, bad idea: we always came up against people (usually warlords) who played together regularly and knew what they were doing... naturally, we lost, again and again.

towards the end of the first age, i fought a battle with two good friends i played with regularly: we went in with a plan - we (balance private, ice private, and storm warlord, all level 90) 3v3'ed against an ice captain + life/death warlords, and we won.

yes, even the great vonawesome has made mistakes. but she owns them.

-von

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
Oy, where do I start?

1. Using one of my precious training points on learning Shield Minion (I'm buying back my points soon)
2. Learning Doom and Gloom
3. Deleting good gear when I can put them in the Shared Bank
4. Using a LOT of crowns on Hoard Packs (I did get a neat bow though, so that wasn't a waste)

I have a LOT more mistakes, but they aren't coming to me right now... I might post later as well...

Melissa Smith
Magus- near Master Sorcerer
Honorary Engineer

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
I played this game for days before I realized you could discard cards to make other cards come up more quickly in your deck. I've pulled some other boners, but that is the one that sticks hardest in my memory.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Well, I started a new account just to start completely from scratch, I made so much mistakes on my last one.
So here are all my mistakes on my other account, my very first wizard, mind you.

I used training points carelessly. I was death who had Life fully trained (You should only go to Satyr) and storm fully trained along with most of fire.
I trained moon. At the time, the Moon school was probably the most popular when Celestia came out. Being able to transform into an enemy was awesome!... But later on it proved to be no help at all.
I sold all my reagents and pet snacks. Pet snacks were not so big, but reagents oh my gosh. I will never forget selling all that Amber I had picked up, to later find I desperately needed it once I started crafting. Word of advice: DO NOT SELL REAGENTS! Even if you don't craft! Take it from a transcendent crafter!
My gear. My stats were horrid on my death. His damage was horrible, resist, block, and critical were horrible. See, at the time this was my very first character and I did not really understand what was defined as "Good gear". It really came back to bite me, trying to figure out if Waterworks was still valid to me (It was).
MY QUEST LOG. This is a biggie for me, as I am OCD as you can tell by the way I post. My quest log, no joke, was 34 pages long. I picked up every quest I saw, planned to do it later, ended up not wanting to do it, then later found the rewards too minimal. And it still kept adding up until of course the moment I quit. On my new account, with my storm, he has a max of three pages right now. I plan to have it at zero by the time Khrysalis part two is over.
Message Boards. Yes, I was immature on the message boards. It wasn't bad conduct, just often to where I would be rude without noticing, or make everyone mad by arguing with them. Obviously, I have changed and matured. But boy I had so much posts. I wish I had them show for this account too haha!

See ya in the Spiral!

Survivor
May 18, 2011
1)Using up 5 training points on Fire spells when my main school is Storm

2)Not realizing that not every pet can learn a "may-cast heal" spell.

3)Using Tempest with only 1 pip.

Kymma Anvilheart- of the Falling Sky

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Taking more then one wizard though Azteca. It's the game divide for me. I can tolerate Avalon until Deep water but from there on it it goes down hill in fun factor.

It's not that I can't do it, believe me as handicapped (because I do not farm for gear) as my wizards are they are one thing "fighters", it's that I just don't want to. It's long drawn out battle after battle to the annoying xe blah blah finish then what appears again 2 - 3 against 1 solo battles before you can even get though the gate in the K world.

Mary

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Using my training points terribly. I have storm and fire as a backup school.
Wow, uh, I had no clue about shared bank!

-Molly level 86 balance

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Well, since I was the dumbest newbie ever, where do I begin. Ok, when I first started I had no clue about selling items. Once my backpack filled up, I went to Pat O'Gold because I thought that was where you sold stuff, and got ripped off. Then I learned about the Bazaar. Lol. Ok, I also loaded my Wizard up with spells from every school, used up training points as soon as I got them. My Balance Wizard had 2 or 3 spells from each stinking school. Ended up having to visit the Registrar and pay Crowns to reset my spell deck. What else? Oh took me weeks to figure out I had to buy recipes for the Crafting Quests, I was clueless. And Gardening? It was like 2 months before I figured out I had to buy the Spells from what's his name in Golem Court. And you want to know what the dumbest thing I've ever done is? Well, it was only recently, after I've been here over a year, that I realized some of the stuff in the Crown Shop can be purchased for Gold. Lol, i can't even imagine how many Crowns I wasted on Furniture items and Castles. I'm living proof that extreme amounts of disposable income do not equal intelligence. In my own defense, I did kinda figure everything out eventually. And I grasped the important stuff, like fighting and killing things immediately. I don't know exactly what that says about me. I have, however, made 3 more Wizards who are much more smarter and intelligenter than my firstest Wizard and I have the lofty highest hopes for them. Their futures are shiniest.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2011
Buying Packs, that was the end for most of the crowns that I have gotten.

When life gives you pips, cast a spell

Defender
May 11, 2012
The biggest mistake I made was using my training points to buy spells for schools other than my primary and secondary. I didn't realize how important those training points were going to be when I got up into the higher worlds. I know I can buy back my training points with crowns, but I'm sorry, I just won't do that. I feel like it is a huge waste of crowns. It would be better to be able to pick and choose which spells we want to sell back instead of having to do a mass sell and buy back.

The second mistake I made was choosing a secondary school too early in the game. I wish I had waited until I understood mastery amulets better and then chosen a secondary school after purchasing the mastery amulet I finally decided on.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Autumn Rain on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
The biggest mistake I made was using my training points to buy spells for schools other than my primary and secondary. I didn't realize how important those training points were going to be when I got up into the higher worlds. I know I can buy back my training points with crowns, but I'm sorry, I just won't do that. I feel like it is a huge waste of crowns. It would be better to be able to pick and choose which spells we want to sell back instead of having to do a mass sell and buy back.

The second mistake I made was choosing a secondary school too early in the game. I wish I had waited until I understood mastery amulets better and then chosen a secondary school after purchasing the mastery amulet I finally decided on.

At your level there's still quite a few training points you can earn. Zafaria, Celestia and Avalon all have a few easy quests to earn them if you didn't already do those side quests.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
Ooh, I have a lot.

• Did too many sidequests, got into worlds at extreme high levels
  • Deleted a mount from deleting a character
  • Deleted an important char without moving all its stuff to the shared bank
  • Went into a battle with only wand attacks packed
  • Mistakes in PvP

And soo many more.. ^3^

Rebecca (WinterBlossom) Delver into
Suri Jade and Jenna Skyblosom, Delver into
"The best things in life are unseen, thats why we close our eyes, to dream, and to cry."

Defender
May 11, 2012
seethe42 on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
At your level there's still quite a few training points you can earn. Zafaria, Celestia and Avalon all have a few easy quests to earn them if you didn't already do those side quests.
I am almost done with Avalon and have done every single side quest since the beginning of the game so I have very few chances left to earn any new training points. I have 5 training points saved up, but I could have had more saved up by now for future use if I had not spent them so randomly early on (and if I hadn't wasted them buying polymorph training in Celestia-I didn't realize how much I was going to hate polymorphing ).

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
Training empowerment and treant polymorph on my main character.

When I first wanted empowerment, I thought to myself,"I'm going to use this a lot :D (plus I like the purple aura)". Right after training it, I had only ever put one at most in my deck lol

Polymorph's were always interesting for me, even though I knew that they were a waste of training points. (Right now I'm trying to refrain from buying the jaguar polymorph). I only bought the treant for its amazing healing ability..and it was useful, until around lvl 80 when I would just die by the lack of block and resist lol. I did have fun using it to kill mobs in wintertusk though.

One of my other mistakes was on my first wizard(who was a fire). I had him train STORM..which was a horrible mistake(and I think I speak for everyone-or at least most of my friends-when I say this). Lucky for me, Lincoln was willing to give me back my training points for 0 crowns..this was either a glitch or because I hardly had any TP in the first place, being a lvl 15 and all.

Explorer
Nov 27, 2011
Buy keen eyes instead of monstrous :| :| :|
Richard FrostBreeze

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
I actually just had a relatively recent one. I got the appearance and stats part in the stitching mixed up, LOL

I lost a tricksy robe, and got a statless, ugly robe instead.

Defender
Nov 10, 2012
Hmmm.... Assuming it's for this game:

Spending thousands of crowns on card packs.
Remaking a single character about 3 times.
Investing both of my chars tp in Fire.

Survivor
May 31, 2014
The Spiral Twister on Feb 19, 2014 wrote:
Just a curiosity. Here are some of mine.
  1. Never knew about Shared Bank. I deleted all of my crowns gear until I found out about the bank
  2. Wasted crowns, A LOT. I get so indulged in hoard packs that I can't stop until I am stripped empty.
  3. Never did all of the side quests. It is so boring trying to do lower world side quests when you are just starting Krysalis. (sorry for the fail)
  4. I posted some very... weird things on these forums before. Now I am much more mature.

I think maturity has a lot to do with those, and how I had a lack of in the past. Anyhow, question.

(and now)
Ah, i feel for the shared bank one. Here's mine:

1. Shared Bank (of course). I learned of this before i ever started getting serious with the game, but it was still a big face palm for me since i had one day mounts i used to stress about that i wanted to transfer.

2. "Ignoring what i'm doing" (sry for wrong wording). For example, today, i was making a new character, and i ignored the fact that it was not showing the quest i needed on the screen (because of how it changes quests randomly as all players know). About half an hour later, i realize that i didn't get the quest from lady orial (sry for misspell) and i was just punching myself in the face (metamorphic ally of course).

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ruthless Anthony on Mar 20, 2014 wrote:
Well, I started a new account just to start completely from scratch, I made so much mistakes on my last one.
So here are all my mistakes on my other account, my very first wizard, mind you.

I used training points carelessly. I was death who had Life fully trained (You should only go to Satyr) and storm fully trained along with most of fire.
I trained moon. At the time, the Moon school was probably the most popular when Celestia came out. Being able to transform into an enemy was awesome!... But later on it proved to be no help at all.
I sold all my reagents and pet snacks. Pet snacks were not so big, but reagents oh my gosh. I will never forget selling all that Amber I had picked up, to later find I desperately needed it once I started crafting. Word of advice: DO NOT SELL REAGENTS! Even if you don't craft! Take it from a transcendent crafter!
My gear. My stats were horrid on my death. His damage was horrible, resist, block, and critical were horrible. See, at the time this was my very first character and I did not really understand what was defined as "Good gear". It really came back to bite me, trying to figure out if Waterworks was still valid to me (It was).
MY QUEST LOG. This is a biggie for me, as I am OCD as you can tell by the way I post. My quest log, no joke, was 34 pages long. I picked up every quest I saw, planned to do it later, ended up not wanting to do it, then later found the rewards too minimal. And it still kept adding up until of course the moment I quit. On my new account, with my storm, he has a max of three pages right now. I plan to have it at zero by the time Khrysalis part two is over.
Message Boards. Yes, I was immature on the message boards. It wasn't bad conduct, just often to where I would be rude without noticing, or make everyone mad by arguing with them. Obviously, I have changed and matured. But boy I had so much posts. I wish I had them show for this account too haha!

See ya in the Spiral!
oh my gosh, i can relate to your #3.

my main wizard (balance) is a promethean crafter, and i had never planned to craft anything on more than one wizard. she has always supplied my entire wizarding family with everything they needed. but then, the crafted spells came out...

i wanted deer knight for my necromancer, which meant that, at level 95, i had to make him craft everything from wc to that spirit-caller-drum nightmare in zafaria. it took me about 3 straight days, but i eventually got my transcendent crafter badge.

it was an expensive mistake. it cost about 60K for the recipe, and 100K (or something like that) for the amber transmute. and, because i hadn't kept my reagents, 3 wizards went completely broke buying all the stuff i needed for valerian's crafting misadventure.

my balance wizard spent about 2 months harvesting reagents, and she farmed tortureus (my most-hated dungeon of all time) repeatedly, in order to get amber or the stuff she needed to make it; storm, life, myth, and fire also took up the cause and donated all of their quest drops to the shared bank.

but i really could not have done it without my wizard-sister brynnerofreign, who had been stockpiling blood moss and sunstone and put some in the bazaar for me last night, so i could finally finish the spell. i hate crafting in general, so the whole experience was dreadful.

#thankgoditsover

@pokebow~ please don't punch yourself in the face. that hurts!

-von "getting punched in the face is still less painful than crafting" shadowsong
exalted promethean legendary grandmaster magus

Explorer
May 19, 2014
I pressed the end button

Right when i was doing the Emperors Retreat Dungeon

I got teleported back to the Oasis.

I tried to go in but i had to start again.

From then i had to get used to W,A,S,D.

Explorer
Nov 27, 2011
Well, lets see,
Going to fire school in my ice and get all spell. Had to buy back and now i have till satyr
Skipping all sides and starting Celestia level 48 . Then had problems going to ZF, level 57 when done with Celestia
Created lot of account not knowing i could do more than one wiz in an account
Stitching to noobs gear
Didnt get waterworks gear until i was levwel 70
NEVER crafted until i saw those awesome Avalon gears, then i was questing and crafting in MB
Selling or trashing good reagents/snacks/tc
Farmed some boss in Tree of Life for Samoorai for my Ice wiz, when i dont even need it
Learn moon
Learned Keen Eyes
Tried to kill in one hit bosses, too hard for ice, and even more hard if you just use Frost Giant
Didnt do Wintertusk or even Grizzleheim and had to do both at level 57
Mess up with my rank
Sold my dragon hoard robes (That hoard was awesome)
That all i think XD
Richard FrostBreeze 80 Sgt.
William 72 Sgt
Steven Blade 60 Corporal
Brahm Nightshade 50 Warlord
Richard LifeSword 12 Private
Get my wizards a second name