Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestions on Adjusting Shadow Spells

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
I really like the current Shadow spells. I think they each add a cool element of power that was not currently found in spells prior to the game. However, I do feel the spells need some adjusting to really stand out more. I marked all the changes I think should happen in red and underlined.

For one thing, there is an inequality in the power of the spells. Shadow Shrike has 4 effects, while Shadow Sentinel and Shadow Seraph have only 3. I really like the power of Shadow Shrike and I don't feel it needs to be nerfed as it immensely boosts the power of all the schools, but I do feel that Shadow Sentinel and Shadow Seraph need a boost in power to provide 4 effects like Shadow Shrike. Let's run them down:

Shadow Sentinel currently intercepts 1 spell for 25% on each enemy. This just means the spell makes you take 25% of the damage any of your friends take. Then it adds +80 Critical Block rating and 10% resistance to incoming spells, making it a strong defensive mechanism.

I like the dynamic it has, but I think it should include +50% Stun Resistance. I think it adds to the defensive element of the spell. Plus if Shrike is giving a large boost in an offensive situational stat, I think Shadow Sentinel should, too. Also it's Backlash only response downward to Shields and Interceptions. I think the Backlash should decrease to Stun resists and Critical blocks, as situational as they may come. Finally, the -10% incoming damage should be increased to -15% incoming damage.

Shadow Seraph currently increases incoming damage by +25%, increases outgoing healing by +25% and adds a 100 Absorb shield to all friends when ever you heal as the spell is active.

I find the healing boost to the spell nice, but I think it could be better. I think the spell should also increase incoming healing by +25% and increase the 100 Absorb to 250 Absorb. Also the spell's Backlash should decrease on incoming heals and decrease when you cast a healing boost like Guiding Light, Brilliant Light, and Sanctuary.

Shadow Shrike currently increases Pierce by +50%, increases damage by +10%, but decreases incoming heals by -25%. Also, while not specified on the card, Shadow Shrike will add a +10% Universal Pierce (or Dragon Spear) to all friends if you use a damage spell.

While PvP is crying out that this spell is overpowered and should by banned from PvP (which would mean for fairness purposes all Shadow Spells would need to be banned from PvP), I think the spell is fine. It helps a lot of Wizards verses they're own schools and increases offense. I just think the description of the card should be shuffled around to add "+10% Pierce on Damage." to make Wizards aware of that bonus. Additionally, I think the spell could add +10% Critical rating, but this is really optional. It's not needed to better the spell.

These are just some suggestions that I think will help these spells really stand out or be a little better.

Explorer
Jun 24, 2011
I think the shadow seraph spell should be only life, I am NOT too happy about receiving seraph later on. I do not usually heal, like most balance wizards.
Wolf RavenBreath93

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Who knows?, maybe they'll add more shadow spells in the next update.

Historian
May 06, 2009
master of the sabe... on Dec 14, 2013 wrote:
I think the shadow seraph spell should be only life, I am NOT too happy about receiving seraph later on. I do not usually heal, like most balance wizards.
Wolf RavenBreath93
But you get a ton of training points through out the game. I trained by points some time ago to get only the essential spells I know I would use often, and now, even if I trained all the Shadow spells, I would still be left with 3 points. So I don't think it's that bad to get a spell for free that you may not like. I'm Death, so I get Sentinel free, but I thought Myth would better use that and Death could get Shrike free, but I'm happy still. Shadow Sentinel looks awesome. So while you may not like getting Shadow Seraph free, you should at least appreciate KI decided to give Balance or any school Shadow Spells for free. You're not forced to use Shadow Seraph if you don't want to. You can always train Shrike or Sentinel if you prefer those spells.