Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beware of the two computer pvp'er

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
I recently had a match with a wizard who exploited the peanut gallery ability to see the spells being cast in the duel. This wizard had two avatars in the arena at the same time. One was in combat and the other was in the peanut gallery. He/she would wait and see what spell I had selected to select a spell that would counter the spell that I was casting. Since the wizard was casting first he/she could manipulate the battle for an advantage. I caught on to it after a couple of rounds because he/she was using the viewer to talk during the battle. When I started waiting to the last second to cast the spell, the viewer got upset and asked if it always took me that long to cast a spell. Again this person was manipulating the mechanics to get an advantage, because if you speak during combat the opposing team can select your name and see what equipment you have and what spells or abilities your pet has. I didn't speak to the duelist, but it was frustrating, and made the match last longer because I was waiting till the last seconds to cast my spell. Maybe the developers at KI can allow the viewers to see the spells after the spells have been selected and locked or the timer runs out, stopping this type of manipulation by people who have two computers. It seems to give your opponent an unfair advantage in pvp. Maybe I am old fashioned and believe in honorable combat, but there will always be those who would win at any cost to honor. And maybe, the developers can block the ability to allow duelists to see their opponents equipment and stats by selecting their name when they speak. It may seem small, but it would help people to keep honest when fighting in pvp. That is all I have to say about this subject; I enjoy the game and the occasional pvp, but this type of behavior makes sure that I stay as far away as I can from pvp. Their are honorable duelists, but the cheaters make it less enjoyable to the other players.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Tristan Dreamcraft... on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
I recently had a match with a wizard who exploited the peanut gallery ability to see the spells being cast in the duel. This wizard had two avatars in the arena at the same time. One was in combat and the other was in the peanut gallery. He/she would wait and see what spell I had selected to select a spell that would counter the spell that I was casting. Since the wizard was casting first he/she could manipulate the battle for an advantage. I caught on to it after a couple of rounds because he/she was using the viewer to talk during the battle. When I started waiting to the last second to cast the spell, the viewer got upset and asked if it always took me that long to cast a spell. Again this person was manipulating the mechanics to get an advantage, because if you speak during combat the opposing team can select your name and see what equipment you have and what spells or abilities your pet has. I didn't speak to the duelist, but it was frustrating, and made the match last longer because I was waiting till the last seconds to cast my spell. Maybe the developers at KI can allow the viewers to see the spells after the spells have been selected and locked or the timer runs out, stopping this type of manipulation by people who have two computers. It seems to give your opponent an unfair advantage in pvp. Maybe I am old fashioned and believe in honorable combat, but there will always be those who would win at any cost to honor. And maybe, the developers can block the ability to allow duelists to see their opponents equipment and stats by selecting their name when they speak. It may seem small, but it would help people to keep honest when fighting in pvp. That is all I have to say about this subject; I enjoy the game and the occasional pvp, but this type of behavior makes sure that I stay as far away as I can from pvp. Their are honorable duelists, but the cheaters make it less enjoyable to the other players.
Tristan,

As far as I know, the mechanics if the game are correct, you do not see what is selected by the other person,
until it cannot be changed by both. Waiting till the last second does nothing, as it has no affect at all in
the match. No, if you server has a delay, then it's possible that they can see a few seconds before, what
you have and could change at that point. As stated, it would only be a few second, and only if your
Network Server company has a delay in their system. So what you are saying is possible, but it will not
be so for everyone.
I would suggest that no one talk in the beginning of the match, why let anyone know your stats when the match
starts.

I always know exactly what my opponent is at the start of the match, KI allows you to know this, and you
should know it.

For years I had the same view as you, I would win with Honor at all cost, as I refused to use shatter, Jades,
etc. Over the past year, I have finally given up on that concept, and added one shatter to my deck.
I will never use Jade, as I feel that anyone that is smart enough, just doesn't need it. The less skilled players
needs it to win, not me. Those without honor, I see and will alway see not as cheaters, but as thoses that
have no consideration for a fair fight. It they have no values, then they show no honor on the battelfield.
Win at any cost is a sad motto to live by, but if a game title is all that critical to their self esteem, so be it.

Bottom line, I will continue to PvP, I will win some and lose some, but that is the challenge, to see how
many I can win, without dropping to a sad motto.......

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
After reading this post, I decided to put this to the test, to see how much of a delay there is.
I set up two computers, at my location, and asked my Dad if he could set up two at his location.
He logged onto both of my brother's accounts, and I logged onto both of my accounts.

We set up two practice matches, 1v1, in PvP, and decided to see if I could see the others
cards, before end of the turn. This way, I could adjust my selected card, and actually
see what the other was about to cast.

The results are, yes, it's about a second to a two second delay. Giving me more than
enough time to click on the card or quickly select a different one. I noticed on the slower
laptop, the delay was enough so the other person could always change the card.
On my faster PC, FX8350 CPU, the delay was only about a second.

I also noted a huge delay, my Brother's wizard could leave the area, but I would still see him
there. When we raced to a point, I would see my wizard as leading the race, but actually I was
well behind the race. So, seeing the card ahead of time on a fast PC, with a fast internet
connection is a real issue.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
This is pretty sad, and the spell selection period in PVP should be "padded" to eliminate the possibility of someone exploiting cpu lag to preview spells.

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
When I talked about the duel, when you are in the duel the other duelist cannot see your spells until they are locked, but the people in the viewing arena watching the duel, can see which spell is being cast by the duelists in the fighting arena. I have done it, while watching the tournament play, and I could see which spells they were going to cast before the duelists in the arena could see what was being cast. That was my concern when I saw what was happening with the second avatar in the viewing gallery, watching the tournament. That is why I had to change my spell casting times, so that the viewer couldn't see my spell until the last second. So delay wasn't an issue it was the avatar in the viewing arena watching my spells before the avatar in the arena could see them. I still won the duel, but it was frustrating because the person had two avatars in the arena. One in the duel and the other in the viewing gallery. And when it comes to honor, I know that if I am fighting a myth wizard they are going to use their school spells to the best of their abilities - shatter, earthquake, stun, and the dread two hit spell, like orthrus or minotaur. And two of their spells have the stun ability before any other school has access to them like medusa and basilisk. That is to be expected, when fighting a myth wizard. And then if you are fighting a balance, expect a judgement to come after they build up pips. That is fine. I don't have issues with them and don't call them dishonorable, what got me was the two avatars in the dueling arena - one fighting and one watching.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Tristan Dreamcraft... on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
When I talked about the duel, when you are in the duel the other duelist cannot see your spells until they are locked, but the people in the viewing arena watching the duel, can see which spell is being cast by the duelists in the fighting arena. I have done it, while watching the tournament play, and I could see which spells they were going to cast before the duelists in the arena could see what was being cast. That was my concern when I saw what was happening with the second avatar in the viewing gallery, watching the tournament. That is why I had to change my spell casting times, so that the viewer couldn't see my spell until the last second. So delay wasn't an issue it was the avatar in the viewing arena watching my spells before the avatar in the arena could see them. I still won the duel, but it was frustrating because the person had two avatars in the arena. One in the duel and the other in the viewing gallery. And when it comes to honor, I know that if I am fighting a myth wizard they are going to use their school spells to the best of their abilities - shatter, earthquake, stun, and the dread two hit spell, like orthrus or minotaur. And two of their spells have the stun ability before any other school has access to them like medusa and basilisk. That is to be expected, when fighting a myth wizard. And then if you are fighting a balance, expect a judgement to come after they build up pips. That is fine. I don't have issues with them and don't call them dishonorable, what got me was the two avatars in the dueling arena - one fighting and one watching.
About the main part of the post, as far as I have seen, spells are only visible in the spectator viewing when they are being cast. This eliminates the possibility for cheating almost completely. (you can see accuracy and damage, allowing you to see, for instance, if someone used different enchants on efreet, the person could remove the weaknesses in one spell instead of 2) As for this post, don't stereotype balances to always use judgement. My balancew has not used judgement at magus in a long time. Basilisk and chimera are much better alternatives, as they can still do good damage through shields. Just my observations.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I've seen one person with two accounts play 2v2 PvP by themselves. This is most certainly cheating and is one of the main reasons I'll never play team PvP.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2012
why is it cheating if one person is playing pvp with 2 wizards? They get less time to make decisions for each wiz. I would see it as a disadvantage.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
note:

you dont need 2 computers to play 2 accounts at the same time.

launch w101 get one toon to the login screen where you select your character then lanuch the same copy of w101 again get the second toon to login screen where you select character then click play on each alt+tab between them simple. Also if there is one watching it does not matter, you dont see as the vewer what is being casted until the moment its being done after (both) picked spells have been done for that turn.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
:P see for me I have one wizard doing pvp and one in the "peanut gallery". I have never seen what my opponent is going to cast haha only reason I do it, is to see if I fizzle or not!

For your second point about view stats when a wizard talks. You are not forced to talk :-] you can easily hide your stats. Besides, its a way to keep yourself steady and calm while some other "less honorable duelist" taunting you.

Also be careful when you use the word "cheater". A cheat is yes, being able to see the spell you selected before anything is cheating but, what the game allows isn't cheating unless you are doing something the game did not intend. The game intended for you to select on a persons name but, the game did not intend for a wizard to see the spells ahead of time. Granted, I have never noticed this.

Also, maybe that person that was "countering" your spells, simply knew what you were gonna do. Solid proof such as: you change the current field spell or bubble then your opponent going second changes the bubble on the same turn. That is pretty good proof for cheating but, not specific enough about how this wizard was countering you.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
Veracity8 on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
Tristan,

As far as I know, the mechanics if the game are correct, you do not see what is selected by the other person,
until it cannot be changed by both. Waiting till the last second does nothing, as it has no affect at all in
the match. No, if you server has a delay, then it's possible that they can see a few seconds before, what
you have and could change at that point. As stated, it would only be a few second, and only if your
Network Server company has a delay in their system. So what you are saying is possible, but it will not
be so for everyone.
I would suggest that no one talk in the beginning of the match, why let anyone know your stats when the match
starts.

I always know exactly what my opponent is at the start of the match, KI allows you to know this, and you
should know it.

For years I had the same view as you, I would win with Honor at all cost, as I refused to use shatter, Jades,
etc. Over the past year, I have finally given up on that concept, and added one shatter to my deck.
I will never use Jade, as I feel that anyone that is smart enough, just doesn't need it. The less skilled players
needs it to win, not me. Those without honor, I see and will alway see not as cheaters, but as thoses that
have no consideration for a fair fight. It they have no values, then they show no honor on the battelfield.
Win at any cost is a sad motto to live by, but if a game title is all that critical to their self esteem, so be it.

Bottom line, I will continue to PvP, I will win some and lose some, but that is the challenge, to see how
Very wise. I like you :)

I also believe that no tc and honour is most important. If you 'cheat' to win rather than doing it properly and fairly you ruin it for everyone, even yourself.

Lauren Iceshard lvl 47

Survivor
Apr 15, 2011
The only way you can see another persons spell is after it has already been selected. When watching a match as a spectator, if a players pet heals before your spell has been cast, you will see that players up coming spell. It will also show a hand icon if you passed or fizzled. This in no way affects the outcome though.

As far as seeing their stats, this is why I never talk in pvp. It may sound rude but I am there to win, and you seeing my weaknesses or strengths can affect the outcome. For example, the other day I was fighting an ice wizard who had 70 ice resist but mediocre resist across the board. If he had said something, I would have known not to use ice against him without a convert, I did not realize this until after the match was over.

Using the battle order trick you can see what school the opponents are. This is a helpful in selecting spells, timing spells and knowing who to dispel. For example, If you are a myth wizard. I will know to dispel you before you reach 6 pips.

Checking for amulets, I also always check for amulets, You can see what amulet a player is wearing from the little orb floating around their face. Different colors mean different amulets. I will know to dispel anyone wearing a life or myth amulet. If you are wearing a death amulet and you are first, I will count your pips before I attack or just single attack or smokescreen / stun before a big attack all.

Advice, Don't talk before matches. Use a transformation to hide any mastery amulets you would like to hide.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2012
Catsarefluffy2003 on Jan 25, 2014 wrote:
Very wise. I like you :)

I also believe that no tc and honour is most important. If you 'cheat' to win rather than doing it properly and fairly you ruin it for everyone, even yourself.

Lauren Iceshard lvl 47
Very much agreed good to see there are still some honorable duelists out there the only tc I really use is weakness and glacial shields for those fire and ice spammers if you rely yourself to stoop to their lvl what better are you?
Blaze deathbringer lvl 49 warlord
The last true survivor

Survivor
May 28, 2011
After reading this post, I decided to put this to the test, to see how much of a delay there is.
I set up two computers, at my location, and asked my Dad if he could set up two at his location.
He logged onto both of my brother's accounts, and I logged onto both of my accounts.

We set up two practice matches, 1v1, in PvP, and decided to see if I could see the others
cards, before end of the turn. This way, I could adjust my selected card, and actually
see what the other was about to cast.

The results are, yes, it's about a second to a two second delay. Giving me more than
enough time to click on the card or quickly select a different one. I noticed on the slower
laptop, the delay was enough so the other person could always change the card.
On my faster PC, FX8350 CPU, the delay was only about a second.

I also noted a huge delay, my Brother's wizard could leave the area, but I would still see him
there. When we raced to a point, I would see my wizard as leading the race, but actually I was
well behind the race. So, seeing the card ahead of time on a fast PC, with a fast internet
connection is a real issue.
I totally agreed with you,the moderator should turn off this type of feature to see the spells being cast during the match. Kings isle should address this issue and fix it the problem cause it ruins the game.there's no more fun playing in pvp, when some player can manipulate the match through their advantage by seeing the spells in advance ahead for the next round just turn it off like it was before no one can see the spells.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
Tristan,

be so for everyone.
starts.

should know it.

Really, Tristan you always know who's your opponent? You full of it ,don't give me those kinda crop not certainly knows every opponents. You sounded like your one of the players has the advantage with a second char to watch your back and able to see the other opponent during the match. Stop lying!

Survivor
May 28, 2011
I make this thing short ! I would say bring the day that one can see the spells including the audience in the arena. The got no business is seeing the spells being cast period fair and square.kingsidle just please just do it remove it for the game sake to makes everybody happy and enjoy game like it was.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Bennotoriuos fire on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:
I make this thing short ! I would say bring the day that one can see the spells including the audience in the arena. The got no business is seeing the spells being cast period fair and square.kingsidle just please just do it remove it for the game sake to makes everybody happy and enjoy game like it was.
1. Spectator mode basically is the way it was, except now you can see what spell is being cast as it is cast, and it is a lot easier to see pvp. I personally like spectator mode much better than before the update that brought this, and don't see why it should be removed.
2. On your other post, you said that Veracity8 was full of him/herself because of knowing their opponent's school. This is not true. If you go to menu chat and press battle orders, you can see a picture depicting your opponent's school and position on the battlefield.
3. Having 2 accounts is something I would guess that Kingsisle wants. It gives no advantage but being able to 2v2 with your own character. From my personal experience, it is impossible to see spells before they are cast. (although pet heals allow players to see the spell that is being cast by their opponent slightly before, but this does not affect what cards are chosen, as it is after the card choosing phase) Kingsisle makes more money if players buy 2 accounts. They need money to keep wizard101 running. I don't think they're going to disallow people from having 2 accounts because of a few claims of wizards seeing their spells...
As for the original post, the player probably asked you to choose more quickly just because it was annoying waiting for you. I might have done the same thing; waiting 30 seconds for the opponent choose is not the fun part of wizard101.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
It wasn't like this until some novice and cheaters suggest to have the spells available through the viewers during the pvp match. Which is not very good idea and this is what I'm afraid of the result actually is chaotic now no more fun of playing this game anymore.
Kingsisle has to fix this issue immediately ASAP put it back what it was before no one can see the spells like it was before fair and square the best wizards wins the match with honor and dignity.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
TC spells that's another Extra accessories for everyone to use it means available to all wizards out there and It's your fault if don't use it. My point view is for reference your in the as a front line soldier your in the situation of life and death scenario trying to survive your out ammo but your surrounded with dead soldiers with extra ammunitions and guns around you available accessories to use in order to survive. What would you do?i know exactly what you're thinking" that's my point of having TC use it ,if you want to survive and live another.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2008
The main issue with 2nd character (mostly they are low lvl) is that they could talk to you, call a noob, could be more offensive and use bad words, but even if you report them and they get banned, the main character will create new wizard and will continue using same strategy. I think would be fair if KI ban also main wizard if they are using same IP address, because everyone knows that they are same person.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Hey, I know this seems like cheating, but it honestly gains them nothing. Unless they are somehow hacking the game (which I highly doubt) they can ONLY see the spells AS they are being cast. I think an administrator explained it on the boards before this. Spectator only shows the spells as they are being cast. It doesn't show anything during the planning phases, this is commonly misunderstood..so don't feel bad The only thing I think needs to be changed is fizzles. When a person fizzles, spectator mode shows a "pass" symbol of the open hand. But, it also shows the arrows that point to the person who they attacked or if they healed someone on their team it points the arrows that show were the spell would have been directed to. This gives the opponent a hint if they are watching. Its not a huge deal but I would like to see it fixed.

Hope I helped,
Wolf Legend

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Aside from any high/low level issues, I don't understand how this is cheating? What would be the difference if 2 friends or family members were in the same room using 2 separate computers playing together in the same match? I may be interpreting this wrong. ?

2 computers playing a different wizard each on the same team in pvp does not seem like it is cheating to me regardless if it's 1 human or 2 controlling the wizard. They can't creat a clone of themselves lol, they are using 2 computers/2 different accounts. Not only do they have to be VERY quick to click in both wizard commands, but this is factoring in no issues with lag as well. Plus drawing/enchanting, seeing teammate selections, etc.

Even if the player is using 1 computer for 2 wizards, it has to be 2 accounts. And then they have even LESS time to do all of this.

It may put them at an advantage (smart) of cooperation, but they have to be very quick about their spell selections. It's also no different than 2 friends on same team whispering what spells they have in their hand, etc.

I could be incorrect but that's what I took from this post's meaning.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
moonwhisper8869 on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
why is it cheating if one person is playing pvp with 2 wizards? They get less time to make decisions for each wiz. I would see it as a disadvantage.
If a person pays for 2 accounts how can you say its cheating? I don't think it is cheating. Most 2v2 or higher pvpers are all good friends and they group their wizards and chat during battle. Plus most high ranking wizards pvp with the same wizard friends and set up their strategies well before they enter the arena, with each wizard knowing almost exactly what the other will be doing. I agree with the other poster who stated that having to watch 2 wizards and set up a strategy by yourself would be a disadvantage rather than an advantage. I would much rather go into a battle with a close friend wizard who I know I can trust to make the right choices and I can focus on my own wizard.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
I can have 2 wizard on at the same time but I choose not cheat with my crown user.

If you see kymma shadow dualing someone and there another death name Jordan Spritehunter in the stand.

Those are both my wizards.