Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sun Spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
I think that when we enchant spells (whether it be blades, traps, heals, or attacks) it should be casted as a sun spell. It makes sense that if you summon a sun enchanted creature, the spell should be casted as a sun spell. A good example is Cronus because he casts sun enchanted traps. It makes the sun school a little more appealing because its the only school out of the astral schools that doesn't have a commonly casted symbol. It's like if a wizard were to polymorph to a tree, instead of being casted as a moon spell, it would be casted as a life spell. It just doesn't make sense. It's like "Oh man watch out! It's not just a regular storm spell its a SUN storm spell!". It would really set apart the sun school as a 'school' instead of just a bunch of enchantments. For example if you used colossal on a triton, your wizard will cast a sun spell (since it is a sun enchanted spell) but the damage would still be storm damage.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Alric Summerthorn on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
I think that when we enchant spells (whether it be blades, traps, heals, or attacks) it should be casted as a sun spell. It makes sense that if you summon a sun enchanted creature, the spell should be casted as a sun spell. A good example is Cronus because he casts sun enchanted traps. It makes the sun school a little more appealing because its the only school out of the astral schools that doesn't have a commonly casted symbol. It's like if a wizard were to polymorph to a tree, instead of being casted as a moon spell, it would be casted as a life spell. It just doesn't make sense. It's like "Oh man watch out! It's not just a regular storm spell its a SUN storm spell!". It would really set apart the sun school as a 'school' instead of just a bunch of enchantments. For example if you used colossal on a triton, your wizard will cast a sun spell (since it is a sun enchanted spell) but the damage would still be storm damage.
a spin on this would be to use the sun school animation in the initial cast, and inside the sun "icon" have the main school icon appear

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
If the spell changes into an entirely different school, we won't be able to benefit from our power pips when casting it. You only benefit from power pips when casting spells from your own school, or an additional school if you have a mastery amulet equipped. There are no Sun wizards or Sun mastery amulets, so no one would be able to benefit from power pips if a spell's school changed to Sun

We would also have to rely on universal passive damage, accuracy, and critical in order to boost spells if they become Sun spells. The damage, critical, and accuracy boosts you get from gear are based on the school of the spell, not the type of damage it deals. This is why having Balance damage from gear still boosts the base damage of Hydra, for example. This is also why accuracy boosts still affect non-damage spells like an Ice wizard's Stun.

Finally, foes would be unable to dispel our outgoing Sun spells. Like damage enhancing stats, dispels are based on school type rather than damage type. There is no Sun dispel or universal dispel, so this could potentially be overpowered.

If these factors were to be accounted for, though, then I guess it would be okay.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
Tanner Silver on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
If the spell changes into an entirely different school, we won't be able to benefit from our power pips when casting it. You only benefit from power pips when casting spells from your own school, or an additional school if you have a mastery amulet equipped. There are no Sun wizards or Sun mastery amulets, so no one would be able to benefit from power pips if a spell's school changed to Sun

We would also have to rely on universal passive damage, accuracy, and critical in order to boost spells if they become Sun spells. The damage, critical, and accuracy boosts you get from gear are based on the school of the spell, not the type of damage it deals. This is why having Balance damage from gear still boosts the base damage of Hydra, for example. This is also why accuracy boosts still affect non-damage spells like an Ice wizard's Stun.

Finally, foes would be unable to dispel our outgoing Sun spells. Like damage enhancing stats, dispels are based on school type rather than damage type. There is no Sun dispel or universal dispel, so this could potentially be overpowered.

If these factors were to be accounted for, though, then I guess it would be okay.
Actually I disagree, what the original poster is asking for is already in the game, take a look at the cloak spell. The cloak spell is a sun spell, and after casting a card enchanted with it you do make the sun spell animation rather than whatever your shield, blade, or trap spell normally does. In addition, I don't think the original poster was talking about changing the spell as a whole, just that opening symbol animation. For example if I were to cast fire cat, rather than the flame symbol being drawn it would make the sun symbol and fire cat would do what it normally does (plus the stat bonus from the sun spell of course).

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
RaiTaebeck on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
Actually I disagree, what the original poster is asking for is already in the game, take a look at the cloak spell. The cloak spell is a sun spell, and after casting a card enchanted with it you do make the sun spell animation rather than whatever your shield, blade, or trap spell normally does. In addition, I don't think the original poster was talking about changing the spell as a whole, just that opening symbol animation. For example if I were to cast fire cat, rather than the flame symbol being drawn it would make the sun symbol and fire cat would do what it normally does (plus the stat bonus from the sun spell of course).
Exactly, if you cast a cloaked virulent plague as a death wizard, it can still be cast using 1 power pip and 1 normal pip, instead of needing 3 normal pips. So if you cast a TC Colossal on a Sabretooth it would show the sun icon, but still do 1,350-1,450 balance damage for 5 power pips, not 10 normal pips.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Very interesting, because when you cloak a blade, trap, etc, you see the sun school animations while casting....

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
RaiTaebeck on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
The school of those spells still don't change. An enhanced Plague or Virulent Plague still has a Death icon in the upper right hand corner of the card, not Sun. In other words, the school doesn't actually change. The OP said school, so as far as I was concerned, that is what he meant.

In most cases, spell school and casting symbol match. Cloak is the exception, but for a good reason: keeping the regular school symbol on the spell would be defeating the purpose of cloaking. You're supposed to be hiding what the spell is. The Sun symbol isn't just there to look pretty, it is there to cover up.

If we are just talking about changing the outgoing casting animation, I would be fine with that. I wrote at the end of my original post that: "If these issues were to be accounted for, I guess it would be fine". Making it so that it was just a cosmetic change instead of modifying the spell's school would be such a way to account for those issues I listed.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
Tanner Silver on Nov 9, 2013 wrote:
The school of those spells still don't change. An enhanced Plague or Virulent Plague still has a Death icon in the upper right hand corner of the card, not Sun. In other words, the school doesn't actually change. The OP said school, so as far as I was concerned, that is what he meant.

In most cases, spell school and casting symbol match. Cloak is the exception, but for a good reason: keeping the regular school symbol on the spell would be defeating the purpose of cloaking. You're supposed to be hiding what the spell is. The Sun symbol isn't just there to look pretty, it is there to cover up.

If we are just talking about changing the outgoing casting animation, I would be fine with that. I wrote at the end of my original post that: "If these issues were to be accounted for, I guess it would be fine". Making it so that it was just a cosmetic change instead of modifying the spell's school would be such a way to account for those issues I listed.
I understand why they did it for cloak, but I was using it as an example for what they could do with the other spells. As for the OP's original idea, like i said the first time "In addition, I don't think the original poster was talking about changing the spell as a whole, just that opening symbol animation.". I agree that the first line and one or two others sounded a bit confusing but overall it sounded to me he was talking about just the appearance of it, like "For example if you used colossal on a triton, your wizard will cast a sun spell (since it is a sun enchanted spell) but the damage would still be storm damage." or 'It's like "Oh man watch out! It's not just a regular storm spell its a SUN storm spell!".' Though if he was talking about making it into a completely different spell I would whole-heartedly agree with you in saying no to that.