Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lock and Unlock needs URGENT improvement

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

I love the new feature, unfortunately it gives a false sense of security, is to easily defeated and makes it all to easy to sell something you do not intend to. I had locked item in my backpack (greenwardens 80+ robe with 22 pet energy) and could not find it. I thought I must have unlocked it somehow and sold it. I have experimented and found the following 2 weaknesses (not the spells, bad joke) with the Lock/Unlock feature.

In short, the robe was in my shared bank and still locked.

Item 1 - Please add a prompt before allowing locked items to be moved to shared bank.

Should locked items be allowed to be moved? At first I thought NO, but then realized it is safer to transfer locked items than to require them to be unlocked, transferred, and then locked again. People would forget to lock them upon completing transfer, which could lead to the item being sold/lost. IMHO, this prompt is a very good idea.

Are you sure you want to move locked item?

Item 2 - Please add a prompt before allowing locked items to be unlocked.

It is far to easy to accidentally unlock an item without realizing what you have done, especially when locked item is equipped. I thought I had unlocked the robe at some point and then sold it after farming Halfang. After farming players are in a "sell anything not nailed down" mode, which is why I believe KI added the lock/unlock feature in the first place.

Are You Sure You Want To Unlock Item?

Similar to the prompt KI uses to prevent people from accidentally selling item in bazaar. This prompt is great, but as I said before, after farming Halfang, players are in a "sell anything not nailed down" mode.

IMHO, this is also a very good idea.

I know what the programmers are thinking (do not let the boss hear you saying it), I spent years protecting people from themselves when I was programming.

Thank you

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I guess I don't understand what the urgent improvement is. The lock feature prevents your items from unintentionally doing the following:

sold to a vendor
be quick sold from the backpack be sold to the Bazaar be trashed be fed to a pet

The lock feature has never been intended to prevent wizards from moving their items around (and thankfully it doesn't). Losing your item forever is more urgent than temporarily losing it, because you forgot where you put it (and that is what it is currently designed to do). Your suggestion, in my opinion, only adds more additional unnecessary prompts...as in I should double confirm every action I take.

If wizards are in such a hurry to sell items that they have to be prompted to ensure they want to unlock an item, well no amount of prompts are going to prevent accidental sells. In fact, the more prompts added is only going to increase frustrations to complete the action you want to take, thereby increasing the chances someone is not even going to read the prompts before clicking them away.

Administrator
This is working as intended. Please see https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/july2013#locks

Items you have chosen to lock will have a Locked icon in your backpack.

Locked items CAN:
be put in houses
be put in the attic *
be put in the bank
be put in the shared bank
be put on mannequins

Locked items CAN:
be dyed
be stitched
be unstitched
be used in a crafting recipe

Locked items CANNOT:
be sold to a vendor
be quick sold from the backpack
be sold to the Bazaar
be trashed
be fed to a pet

* Please note, items will not remain locked when in the Attic

Locked items CAN:
be put in houses
be put in the attic *
be put in the bank
be put in the shared bank
be put on mannequins

Locked items CAN:
be dyed
be stitched
be unstitched
be used in a crafting recipe

Locked items CANNOT:
be sold to a vendor
be quick sold from the backpack
be sold to the Bazaar

be trashed
be fed to a pet
* Please note, items will not remain locked when in the Attic

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Gabriel Stormhunte... on Aug 29, 2013 wrote:
Hi,

I love the new feature, unfortunately it gives a false sense of security, is to easily defeated and makes it all to easy to sell something you do not intend to. I had locked item in my backpack (greenwardens 80+ robe with 22 pet energy) and could not find it. I thought I must have unlocked it somehow and sold it. I have experimented and found the following 2 weaknesses (not the spells, bad joke) with the Lock/Unlock feature.

In short, the robe was in my shared bank and still locked.

Item 1 - Please add a prompt before allowing locked items to be moved to shared bank.

Should locked items be allowed to be moved? At first I thought NO, but then realized it is safer to transfer locked items than to require them to be unlocked, transferred, and then locked again. People would forget to lock them upon completing transfer, which could lead to the item being sold/lost. IMHO, this prompt is a very good idea.

Are you sure you want to move locked item?

Item 2 - Please add a prompt before allowing locked items to be unlocked.

It is far to easy to accidentally unlock an item without realizing what you have done, especially when locked item is equipped. I thought I had unlocked the robe at some point and then sold it after farming Halfang. After farming players are in a "sell anything not nailed down" mode, which is why I believe KI added the lock/unlock feature in the first place.

Are You Sure You Want To Unlock Item?

Similar to the prompt KI uses to prevent people from accidentally selling item in bazaar. This prompt is great, but as I said before, after farming Halfang, players are in a "sell anything not nailed down" mode.

IMHO, this is also a very good idea.

I know what the programmers are thinking (do not let the boss hear you saying it), I spent years protecting people from themselves when I was programming.

Thank you

I've seen another problem, when ever I unequipped a locked item, it becomes unlocked. Please fix this!

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

I have a few points regarding your response.

1) All Locked items do not have visual confirmation as you stated. Specifically those items that are Equipped && Locked.

Regarding my request for prompt when unlocking an item. I believe the need for the prompting would be greatly reduced if there was visual indication of Equipped && Locked.

My Courtly Dirk has somehow become unlocked twice now. I originally placed blame on me but now see that others my be having similar issues. I am not sure if we are clicking on unlock by accident and not realizing it, then clicking on un-equip. Later finding our item no longer locked, or if it is a bug.

2) Regarding my request for a prompt when moving a Locked item. It appears that KI has already addressed this in the past for Equipped items and has determined that such situations calls for a prompt.

Please attempt to move an Equipped item to the shared bank and see what happens. Also note that the prompt text incorrectly specifies the regular bank, it should specify the shared bank.

Confirmed Equipped && Locked BUG

Using a wizard with several houses
Equip and Lock one of them.
Lock all remaining houses
Go to Farley
Press X to talk with Farley
Select Sell tab
Note that all houses are grayed out
The house that is Equipped && Locked shows no symbol as far as Equipped || Locked
The houses that are Locked only show the proper Locked symbol.

Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

Community Leader
Nicholas Hawkspear on Aug 29, 2013 wrote:
I've seen another problem, when ever I unequipped a locked item, it becomes unlocked. Please fix this!

I have never seen this happen I remove and re-equip pieces I have lock all the time. I even have my mounts locked. Did you move the item or just un-equip?

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Paige MoonShade on Aug 30, 2013 wrote:
I have never seen this happen I remove and re-equip pieces I have lock all the time. I even have my mounts locked. Did you move the item or just un-equip?
Just un-equip. It is very annoying because I have to go back and lock the item. It dose not happen right away. It will un-lock it's self after a week or so. I my self do have all of my items locked. I lock them once I get them. (If I want to keep them) It doesn't happen if they are not equipped, only when I unequipped something I've had on for a while.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Nicholas Hawkspear on Sep 14, 2013 wrote:
Just un-equip. It is very annoying because I have to go back and lock the item. It dose not happen right away. It will un-lock it's self after a week or so. I my self do have all of my items locked. I lock them once I get them. (If I want to keep them) It doesn't happen if they are not equipped, only when I unequipped something I've had on for a while.

I lock all of my items and have never had this problem on any of my wizards.

-v.
90 and

Survivor
Apr 15, 2011
What I usually do is lock the items that I don't want to lose and then change the setting, turn off lock items, that way the items cannot be unlock accidentally. This seems to work for me.