Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Mooshu Based off of China or Japan?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
I believe that Mooshu is based off of japan. I always see the toris everywhere and samurai, both being Japanese. On the other hand bamboo PRIMARILY grows in china and jade is often used as an Emperial chinese symbol along with the dragon. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions? I'm confused.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Iceweaver1233 on Jun 13, 2013 wrote:
I believe that Mooshu is based off of japan. I always see the toris everywhere and samurai, both being Japanese. On the other hand bamboo PRIMARILY grows in china and jade is often used as an Emperial chinese symbol along with the dragon. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions? I'm confused.
Well, this is a fantasy game so it's based on Asia, no one country in particular and is not meant to be single-country specific.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Survivor
Mar 21, 2011
Hi.

Well, i actually think mooshu is made from china, but it has stuff that could be japanese, i think since it has more stuff that is from china i think china

This message is from Sarai ghost hunter and Calmity roseblossom
level 78 and 51 both types.

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
It's probably a mix of both. Mooshu is my favorite world, afterall, maybe I should know this?

Defender
Jan 22, 2012
It's a mixture of both. Some things in Mooshu are uniquely Japanese and some are uniquely Chinese.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
Hello!

I believe that MooShu is based off of both China and Japan. With everything being squished together, it's possible they did just that.

Yes, Samurais were of Japanese culture and bamboo is primarily grown in China.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
its nethier its based of of asia

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
It's a pan-Asian fusion world.

I've seen Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian/Turkoman, Korean, Vietnamese, and Indian themes and names in areas of MS

I think they've chosen to run with "oni" as a catch-all for the major bosses to avoid obvious conflict with current themes in living Asian religions.

And a lot of the street mobs seem to be based off comic-book J-pop culture. Ninja pigs, ronin, etc. More so than the small numbers of goat monks and nature-spirit types in select areas - many of which also have Japanese names. Almost all the minibosses have Japanese names as well: Koto, Tamauji, Youkai, etc.

So in a sense I would agree the world is overall a feudal Japanese flavoured world populated with pan-Asian elements.

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
It's Japan because China doesn't have samuri*

*I know it's spelled wrong

w

Survivor
Apr 27, 2013
Mooshu is just Asia from what I know of.

Defiantly Marleybone is London, England due to Big Ben

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
Mooshu in my opinion is a mix of feudal Japan and the Han dynasty most likely. between the tori gates used in Shinto religion and the previously mentioned bamboo and jade it is easily a 50/50 split

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Hello, i have taken Japanese for 7 years and wanted to clear up the topic of if Mooshu was China or Japan. I want to start off saying it really is both. There is a little island of the side of Japan like i said in my last post it is called Okinawa. Okinawa is a part of Japan that mixes Chinese and Japanese culture. Here are some things i saw that are Chinese and Japanese:

Japanese Things: Mountains, People, Pagodas, Kimonos, Samurai, Jade, Trees, and the Red Bridges
Japanese Names:Yuji Hamada, Fida Hadohan, Sabara, Kame, ( Kame:Japanese for turtle) Toshio, Yachi, and Yachiko
Japanese Place Names: Kishibe, Shoshun, Yoshihito, Hametsu, Shirataki, and Tatakai
Chinese Things: Lanterns, Music, and Scrolls
Chinese Names: Su Lee, Xan Zhao, Jing-Han He, and Zhi Lan
Chinese Place Names: Names that are in English just not translated (example: Village of Sorrow)
Both: Kanji Writings, (kanji is an alphabet China and Japan share) Bhudda, and the accents

Hope this shed a little light on the situation!
-Sayonara
Kevin Battle Breeze level: 82 Life

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
The answer is Okinawa an island of Japan that mixes Chinese an Japanese culture but is owned by Japan not China.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Both. Japan's samurai, mountains, Ect. With China's bamboo, temples, Ect. Also, fortune cookies are actually Japanese, not Chinese.

Explorer
Mar 10, 2010
Tough question. When people see Mooshu, they automatically think it is China or Japan. But you never know! The Moodha is based off of the Buddha is a very common religion in Asia. That being said, i looked on a website and found that the country with the most Buddhist people is Thailand (by percent of population.) China leads in the world of the number of Buddhist people, yet it is very little percentage, based on it's huge population. The Japanese rate for Buddhists are at 50% and is in 9th place. Thailand is at 95% Buddhist. China is not in the top 10. That being said, I think that Mooshu is based off of Japan as opposed to China.

Amber Rainbowstone - - level 65

Sierra Hex - - level 34

Survivor
Apr 01, 2012
I know for a fact that MooShu is a mix of countries, but, as most people wouldn't know, MooShu is a type of Chinese Chicken, ( it is awesome ) and your right, it does look like a mix of China and Japan but I think it was meant to be Asia.

~ This Message Is Brought To You By ~
Muttkitty19
Isabella Earthriver
Adept

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
I looked it up on the Wizard101 Wiki page, and Mooshu is based on Feudal Japan I was kind of right though

Explorer
Mar 20, 2010
I think that the graphics are mostly based off Japan - the shinto arches, the samurai - but the storyline is vaguely based of China. For instance, in the history books the "Warring States Period" is mentioned and Lo Po (the rabbit NPC) was a real Chinese poet. The horses are clearly meant to represent the Mongols and the Horde (in Pirate101 I believe that they're named as the Amber Horde), and the spirits who have invaded the emperor bear quite a few relations to Chinese pagan spirits.

However, Japan also had an emperor - has an emperor, in fact - and both countries had an isolationist policy (as in Pirate101) as well as a belief in evil spirits and incense.

I'm pretty sure China is the country with the mountains. You know, on account of Japan being an island? And, off topic, fortune cookies are actually Californian. That's the reason the fortunes are written in English.

-Myrna Deathblood, Legendary Diviner

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
Most people here have said both or china. My personal belief is that it is based off of Japan. The women with painted faces is an old Japanese tradition, as well as the Buddhist faith, from which the Moodha stems. The architecture is also wholly Japanese. Many rock gardens and sand gardens can be seen throughout the lands of Mooshu.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2012
Darkwillow Rushidi on Nov 9, 2013 wrote:
I think that the graphics are mostly based off Japan - the shinto arches, the samurai - but the storyline is vaguely based of China. For instance, in the history books the "Warring States Period" is mentioned and Lo Po (the rabbit NPC) was a real Chinese poet. The horses are clearly meant to represent the Mongols and the Horde (in Pirate101 I believe that they're named as the Amber Horde), and the spirits who have invaded the emperor bear quite a few relations to Chinese pagan spirits.

However, Japan also had an emperor - has an emperor, in fact - and both countries had an isolationist policy (as in Pirate101) as well as a belief in evil spirits and incense.

I'm pretty sure China is the country with the mountains. You know, on account of Japan being an island? And, off topic, fortune cookies are actually Californian. That's the reason the fortunes are written in English.

-Myrna Deathblood, Legendary Diviner
I just wanted to say, even though japan it and island, it has many mountains

Maria Rainwraith, level 41

Survivor
Sep 21, 2013
I think i like all the worlds. lol just kidding marleybone is kinda boring and krokotopia but the rest are awesome

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
It's based off of Feudal Japan.

Survivor
Oct 12, 2013
I think its based off all the parts of North Asia.

The Moodha statue in the middle is a character inspired by a Thai, Chinese and Japanese god called Buddha.

LOL David
(lots of love David)