Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bad at Game?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
Hi, as you see the title, i am actually a level 90 with a level 85, 36, 35, and 8. But with my level 90, I finished a boss with 9k health and i finished with 302 health, when i have 4200 health. Am I bad? I need an opinion. Thanks!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
eric56379 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Hi, as you see the title, i am actually a level 90 with a level 85, 36, 35, and 8. But with my level 90, I finished a boss with 9k health and i finished with 302 health, when i have 4200 health. Am I bad? I need an opinion. Thanks!
You can finish with 1 health, as long as you defeated him, it really doesn't matter.

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
No you are not. Every player has troubles and more than half of them are boss fights! I'm a level 89 Conjurer in Azteca right now and I find great difficulty with bosses. To finish with health left is the key. It matters not if you finish with 1 health left, it matters that you finished it at all!

Survivor
Aug 28, 2010
First of all, no one can be bad at the game. It just requires practice
Second, could you tell me what your health is normally when full? This would help to answer your question

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
Depends. What is your gear set up? How did you play. I don't think you can be truly bad, but maybe your technique or gear is.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Depends on what school you are. Overall it is pretty good. No one is bad at anything they just need improvement

Explorer
Feb 29, 2012
no you are not bad and here is why:

1) your resist what is it? because mine is only 12% (ww cape)

2) what world were you in?

3) if you were in cl-Azteca then what is your critical block?

4) what is your school?

5) depending on these if any of these things are not good (1-3) you should go to the bazaar if you don't want to do ww then farm for gear and use the bazaar

Keelan sun vaultpromethean

Defender
Jan 22, 2012
You are not bad. No one could be a Promethean and be "bad". Boss fights are unpredictable - sometimes you leave with almost the same amount of health, sometimes you are almost dead, and sometimes you are dead. But just because you finished one boss fight with 302 health doesn't make you bad!
Sierra Ashblood, Legendary

Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
saberlover5 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
no you are not bad and here is why:

1) your resist what is it? because mine is only 12% (ww cape)

2) what world were you in?

3) if you were in cl-Azteca then what is your critical block?

4) what is your school?

5) depending on these if any of these things are not good (1-3) you should go to the bazaar if you don't want to do ww then farm for gear and use the bazaar

Keelan sun vaultpromethean
Resist is 40% fire, 30% for the rest
world is celestia
critical block is about 96 all schools but fire, fire is 120
fire
all of my gear is crowns only

Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
Everyone, i always needed help with every enemy in azteca. So that is what it makes me feel like, i have been playing for almost 5 years, and i still need practice. Whats up?

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
sierraisonfire on May 31, 2013 wrote:
You are not bad. No one could be a Promethean and be "bad". Boss fights are unpredictable - sometimes you leave with almost the same amount of health, sometimes you are almost dead, and sometimes you are dead. But just because you finished one boss fight with 302 health doesn't make you bad!
Sierra Ashblood, Legendary
Well, what if there was a promothean that lost to a boss in wizard city? Won't that be considered bad?

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
You need a larger sample size to determine whose fault it is.

One match that came close = not a large enough sample size. Your win or loss might have been circumstantial: a bad draw, you going second, a lucky crit noob bolt, etc.

Fight the same boss 10 or 20 times, look at how you do. If you're losing a lot more than you're winning, it could be that your skills need work.

Some people aren't good at picking which cards to put in their decks against a certain boss. If this is you, you will notice some cards that you didn't use at all, or discarded. You may have wished you had included a certain card. Go back and tweak your deck and try again. Try to notice a pattern over several types of mobs which deck builds work best.

Other people aren't good at making critical decisions under time pressure during a match. There's nothing for this except practice, and minimizing distractions. If it means you need to solo, then make time to get some solo work done.

Still others aren't good at thinking two turns ahead when they're going second, and making worst-case scenario judgments. Again, nothing for this except practice and sharpening your powers of observation.

Finally, watch videos of good players and notice what they cast, when they cast it, what they discard, and what they keep.

Defender
May 03, 2009
Percy373 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Well, what if there was a promothean that lost to a boss in wizard city? Won't that be considered bad?
Well, it depends. What id they didn't want to flee, so they let the monsters kill them? What if they were away from their keyboard? If not, they're not 'bad', but it is 'sad'.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, I discard what I don't need. I looked at other peoples stratagies (Sorry, I can't spell good) And I still need help with Azteca and such

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
eric56379 on Jul 27, 2013 wrote:
Yes, I discard what I don't need. I looked at other peoples stratagies (Sorry, I can't spell good) And I still need help with Azteca and such
Critical Death is here to the rescue (Or I could really fail, who knows?)! As a life you have access to Spinysaur (Do you?) which is a great spell. Plus if you're a level 90 kick back and relax. Wait until level 100 comes out to quest or you're wasting quest exp. My advice. By the way you seem a bit stressed play on a low level and joke around. Wiz101 is for fun not stress.
Critical

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Everyone, i always needed help with every enemy in azteca. So that is what it makes me feel like, i have been playing for almost 5 years, and i still need practice. Whats up?
Take heart young wizard, a lot of us have played the game a while and are suffering in AZ.

Not every aspect of the game is something all of us can "get". Some make it sound like a piece of cake while we struggle just to get by. Some were gamers before so this type of game play isn't hard for them to figure out, we who really haven't played games find it trying to figure out.

In the end it is totally possible that not all of us can "step up to the plate" and get though AZ with out issue and we just have to accept the game we play has out grown our abilities.

Mary StarGem lvl 90

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
critical death on Jul 28, 2013 wrote:
Critical Death is here to the rescue (Or I could really fail, who knows?)! As a life you have access to Spinysaur (Do you?) which is a great spell. Plus if you're a level 90 kick back and relax. Wait until level 100 comes out to quest or you're wasting quest exp. My advice. By the way you seem a bit stressed play on a low level and joke around. Wiz101 is for fun not stress.
Critical
That last part is something we should remember always, and never lose sight of.

Someone much younger than me asked me to help her and a friend through their first Mirror Lake run last night.

I had been scrapping with huge, bloated, cheating AZ bosses all afternoon and I thought it might make a nice break so I went along.

Bad idea. I was short with them because they were inexperienced and I was tired and just wanted to get through it. They wanted to set up and make a huge one hit kill, and use their new spells, but I just wanted it to be over, so I hit into their setup and ended the game early. They were understandably teed off and I lost a couple friends last night.

If you're not feeling it, just bow out gracefully and go do something else. If you're not enjoying what you're doing, then stop. You risk ruining the fun of it for those who do want to do it at their own pace and in their own way.

If you no longer look at Mirror Lake as an epic gauntlet to prove your worth to move on to Avalon, and instead view it as a chore to be processed as quickly as possible to get two pixie stix, then maybe helping two fresh new runners is a bad idea.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
No people finish hard bosses with low health all the time. It doesn't mean your bad at the game.