Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Get these guys out of here!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 11, 2009
So, I was in The Lake, having my friend help me out with defeating Foul Skirkers. We entered the battle, and her friend teleported. (Journeyman) He attaracted an unwanted Skirker, so we all died, because of that Foul Skirker. He did NOTHING exept an AoE that didn't even kill them. We all had to go back, and I found it frustrating but easier by myself.

My final note: Get these low levels OUT of Avalon! They need enough firepower to at LEAST get the mob down by 3/4 to even TRY to live in this world!

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
True that but its not going to happen. Go rage about it to your friends like the rest of us.

Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
I feel your pain. They're so irritating and think they can help. They've also used up my traps before, preventing me from killing a boss. Also, if they're mute, you can't tell them not to do something or tell them to leave. They keep repeating "I need healing" about five million times. Trust me, it's even more painful in Azteca. One time an apprentice ported when we were fighting a cheating boss and they broke every single rule which killed us all. They should have something pop up telling you that they're porting and you should be able to deny them porting or let them port because that would make the whole world (or worlds) a better place.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Percy373 on May 13, 2013 wrote:
True that but its not going to happen. Go rage about it to your friends like the rest of us.
I disagree. It can happen.

If the follow-up world after Azteca follows the progression of difficulty I suspect we will see limitations. Having unsolocited level 20's porting in would be intolerable. Just imagine it happening in Pitch Black Lake or Twin Giants... now imagine the next world after Azteca... unsolocited porting just can't be allowed. Cooperative team play and friend's assistance is important so turning off ports is not at all reasonable.

~ RottenHeart

Defender
May 03, 2009
StormofSpades on May 13, 2013 wrote:
So, I was in The Lake, having my friend help me out with defeating Foul Skirkers. We entered the battle, and her friend teleported. (Journeyman) He attaracted an unwanted Skirker, so we all died, because of that Foul Skirker. He did NOTHING exept an AoE that didn't even kill them. We all had to go back, and I found it frustrating but easier by myself.

My final note: Get these low levels OUT of Avalon! They need enough firepower to at LEAST get the mob down by 3/4 to even TRY to live in this world!
Well, I can think of two solutions.

1) Battle with three other players so the battlefield is full. When the younger levels teleport, they'll get pulled into another battle.

2) Delete all younger levels up to level 70 (if in Avalon. If you're in Azteca I'd advise level 80's). Tell your friend to do this too. Also, tell your friend to keep their ports off. No one would teleport. If you deleted all lower levels, you should be fine.

But yes, I hear many complaints and I do agree it is annoying.

Explorer
Dec 11, 2009
  • Thank you. The Life grandmaster was not a problem, as I had specifically asked her to help me for a bit. She was actually USEFUL.
  • Second, I personally disagree with you, KayleeLane. It must happen. It used to be plaguing Celestia, then some of the disease (random low-levels porting) spread into Zafaria, Avalon, Azteca, Wintertusk, and any other high-levelled world because the low-levelled want to "power-level." I'm okay with power-levelling, but only in small quantitys.
  • My next point, Avalon and Azteca are way too hard and challenging for a level 5 to use a Thunder Snake and kill the mob, and they always act surprized that the "Oh so mighty Thunder Snake" didn't kill the 3,000 health mob because all the Lost Souls on Unicorn Way died instantly, to my mind.
  • Another point, Avalon and Azteca are grueling. Quest after quest, it seems. Collect and collect. It's not for little, inexperienced level 1's that just joined to try and solo.
  • That's pretty much the end, but the final message is: Live or Die in these worlds.
Amber Nightblossom,
StormofSpades

Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
Scarlet Hawk on May 15, 2013 wrote:
Well, I can think of two solutions.

1) Battle with three other players so the battlefield is full. When the younger levels teleport, they'll get pulled into another battle.

2) Delete all younger levels up to level 70 (if in Avalon. If you're in Azteca I'd advise level 80's). Tell your friend to do this too. Also, tell your friend to keep their ports off. No one would teleport. If you deleted all lower levels, you should be fine.

But yes, I hear many complaints and I do agree it is annoying.
Well the first one isn't really a solution. You're never going to know when a lower level will port so that won't work. Also, I don't think you should delete all your friends below level 70 or 80 or tell your friend too either because some of them probably actually are your friends.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010

That's not even that bad. The worst thing I hate is low lvls in high lvl places. Today, when I was in Azteca, this low lvl came, then brought two other enemies into the boss battles. Both those enemies totaled 10 THOUSAND hit points. Then he brought another low lvl with him. The second low lvl would die every round and keep teleporting back. The first low lvl would cast nonsense treasure cards like powernova, for 7 pips even though i could hit 3 times more using a one pip spell, and they kept casting fairy and such. Yes, they must be limited from these high lvl places. I have some reasons for this.
  • Brings more enemies in the battle which they cannot kill
  • Does not really weaken the enemy and provides not much use
  • Relies on the high lvl to get xp and loot
  • Mess the battle up
  • Did not earn there way to that area just "tags along"
Yes we must get these low levels out.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
A lot of them port in so they can collect all the high value chests in places like High Road and Three Points.

I don't think they even realize they are porting into a fight, nor do they care, they just want something for no effort.

I do have a lot of lower level friends but if I'm going into an area where they would have trouble/make trouble for me, I turn off ports. I do wish I could turn it off for only select people, so that people around my level can come to help.

This is sort of easy to fix. Just set a nominal and liberal minimum level to enter Avalon, through any means, at level 60+ or thereabouts. For Azteca, maybe 68-72 and above. This would allow a wide range of skill levels without compromising the ongoing match. If you're level 12 and you try to port to me in WT, I may never know about it. The game would simply disallow the port.

Maybe accompanied by an automated chat dialog box that says, "That area is off limits to you because you have not attained a level X or higher." So they will get the message that those areas, and the reagents and items found in them, are reserved for players who have worked long and hard to be there and know what they're doing.

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
I feel ya. I get tired of having low levels port in on me when I'm fighting in Avalon or Zafaria. And it isn't always with just lower levels! There's always the issue of someone porting or walking in when you just finished off the last enemy. Happened to me a couple days ago and I died instantly against Hobgoblins Fiends. Which is why I stick to quiet realms with my ports off.

But these complaints have been flying around since Dragonspyre. I doubt there's going to be a change in anything. But yea, the menu thing popping up when someone tries to port should exist. I'm tired of telling people who walk or port in to ask to join first.

Emma Stormshade, Transcendent Sorceress

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
RottenHeart on May 15, 2013 wrote:
I disagree. It can happen.

If the follow-up world after Azteca follows the progression of difficulty I suspect we will see limitations. Having unsolocited level 20's porting in would be intolerable. Just imagine it happening in Pitch Black Lake or Twin Giants... now imagine the next world after Azteca... unsolocited porting just can't be allowed. Cooperative team play and friend's assistance is important so turning off ports is not at all reasonable.

~ RottenHeart
I sincerely hope so too. I'm tired of having to spend half an hour more in battle because of an unwanted porter. I remember a boss battle in alto alto took two hours because of it. Now i'm changing my mind and considering the prospect. It sounds promising. Let's just hope the company will soon enough realize that we need level cap limitations.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
The level restriction and any message to the low lvl player really REALLY needs to come from the basic game software. Trying to get across to some of these entitled young people that they must ask before porting, and never while i'm in a battle, is a fool's errand. The kid gets bent out of shape and argues with you, swears at you, spreads wild tales about you to your mutual play group, etc. Eventually your friends list shrinks to nothing as all the low lvls get ignored or removed, and your level peers and higher all "win" the game and retire that wizard.

I'd love to keep the option open to help these players in their own proper questing area whenever they need help, but discourage them from coat-tailing in advanced worlds. If it's an integral part of the game software, then they can't hold a grudge against me for not letting them "help".

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
crunkatog on May 19, 2013 wrote:
A lot of them port in so they can collect all the high value chests in places like High Road and Three Points.

I don't think they even realize they are porting into a fight, nor do they care, they just want something for no effort.

I do have a lot of lower level friends but if I'm going into an area where they would have trouble/make trouble for me, I turn off ports. I do wish I could turn it off for only select people, so that people around my level can come to help.

This is sort of easy to fix. Just set a nominal and liberal minimum level to enter Avalon, through any means, at level 60+ or thereabouts. For Azteca, maybe 68-72 and above. This would allow a wide range of skill levels without compromising the ongoing match. If you're level 12 and you try to port to me in WT, I may never know about it. The game would simply disallow the port.

Maybe accompanied by an automated chat dialog box that says, "That area is off limits to you because you have not attained a level X or higher." So they will get the message that those areas, and the reagents and items found in them, are reserved for players who have worked long and hard to be there and know what they're doing.
Harsh. Lots of low levels just want to see the world. I would rather have it so they can port, but not get any loot. (No treasure chests, No reagents, No fights) Though keep Vestrilund open since many players farm with multiple accounts there.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
KOblivion on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
Harsh. Lots of low levels just want to see the world. I would rather have it so they can port, but not get any loot. (No treasure chests, No reagents, No fights) Though keep Vestrilund open since many players farm with multiple accounts there.
Maybe each world should have a sneak peek visit the way Grizzleheim did - and a level cap reminder.

I agree that lower lvl wizards being able to visit higher lvl worlds is a good selling point.

Maybe just fix port-to-friends so it asks you if you would like that friend to port to you, and you can accept or decline. That will fix the specific problem of unwanted porting during battles.

If low lvls choose to mark a spot in a higher world, not much you can do about it except broad level restrictions. That said, using their marker this way will hamper their ability to quest efficiently and effectively.

I've had situations where we were in a nasty battle and the only healer we knew was 30 levels below the area target ranks. He saved us from certain death and redeemed himself when called upon. I've also been that person who answers a call for help and found myself in Pitch Black Lake, healing and shielding and helping players far above my lvl. I don't want this aspect of teamwork to go away. I also want to be able to reward upcoming players who helped out, by showing them where they can find rare reagents and housing items like quetzal nests and gorilla huts. I don't want this to become totally locked down.

Just find a way to curb the worst abuses and hazards.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
crunkatog on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
Maybe each world should have a sneak peek visit the way Grizzleheim did - and a level cap reminder.

I agree that lower lvl wizards being able to visit higher lvl worlds is a good selling point.

Maybe just fix port-to-friends so it asks you if you would like that friend to port to you, and you can accept or decline. That will fix the specific problem of unwanted porting during battles.

If low lvls choose to mark a spot in a higher world, not much you can do about it except broad level restrictions. That said, using their marker this way will hamper their ability to quest efficiently and effectively.

I've had situations where we were in a nasty battle and the only healer we knew was 30 levels below the area target ranks. He saved us from certain death and redeemed himself when called upon. I've also been that person who answers a call for help and found myself in Pitch Black Lake, healing and shielding and helping players far above my lvl. I don't want this aspect of teamwork to go away. I also want to be able to reward upcoming players who helped out, by showing them where they can find rare reagents and housing items like quetzal nests and gorilla huts. I don't want this to become totally locked down.

Just find a way to curb the worst abuses and hazards.
My problem isn't with low levels specifically, but with people who just drop in uninvited. I don't care who you think you are~ you ask before porting to me, or you will be blocked and deleted. End of.

The only low-levels on my buddy list are those who belong to existing friends and whom I trust not to take advantage of me that way. I do not power-level my own characters, and I will not power-level yours either.

I agree with you that each world should have a sneak-peek, like GH did, but with some restrictions:

-if you have not entered that area via quest progression, you may not join any battles or attain any loot;

-xp gain will be temporarily suspended;

-if you ported to someone in combat, you are stuck like glue to that person and cannot flee or log out until you defeat the extra enemy you brought in.

-

I have suggested a million times that a selective porting option be added to the game. Like, if my level 90 balance wizard is in Twin Giants and someone wants to port to her, she'd get a message like this:

"Valerian Deathwhisper, level 90 wants to port to you. Allow?"

Click yes to invite him into the battle; if I click no, the other wizard would receive the "your friend is busy right now" message. Or something to that effect.

I once had a level 8 friend port to my then-level-45 Balance wizard in Dragonspyre. Instead of fleeing or casting nonsense TC, he acted as a minion might~ he kept me shielded and buffed, so I had no problem making sure that he survived the battle as well... Unfortunately, he was the exception, not the rule. Most low-levels who randomly port in are trying to get something for nothing.

/my 2 cents,
-v.

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
no offense, but some of you people are being inconsiderate. remember, you were that level once and eventually they'll get there where you are.
Justin firethief level 77

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
KOblivion on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
maybe some of the low levels want to see the spells that they can cast. I think they should be able to do whatever they want. think about it, if you were a level ten wizard you would be kind of offended by these comments.
Justin Firethief level 78

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Porting is annoying. But tell me if you've ever had this happen. You're battling two foes, well over 2,000 hp each. You've taken a few hits and are down in health, but you're just about to kill them both, and 2 other players join, dragging in 2 new foes while you are at the front of the line for more abuse from the new foes. And, instead of healing or shielding you, they heal and shield themselves! Now I find that annoying. I'm to the point where I'm posting in text to please not join my battle, but it doesn't work. Unless I accidentally get dragged into a battle, I ALWAYS ask first. It's just common courtesy.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2011
Three solutions KI could do

1. Make it so that if a ally joins that is not above your lvl they bring a weaker enemy, this makes it so they are no longer annoying because they can kill that enemy.
This would be the most beneficial solution

2. Restrict ports to a level (this is optional to turn on)
By far the easeist solution

3.Make entering a battle have a lvl restriction, if you try to fight enemys of too high lvl merle advises you not to fight them,if your low lvl you can only be in the battle in a group or solo for some random people who either want to try it
A decent solution but has downsides, would be not that hard to implement

James Thundercatcher: a Promethean

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
valdushawkflame on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:
Porting is annoying. But tell me if you've ever had this happen. You're battling two foes, well over 2,000 hp each. You've taken a few hits and are down in health, but you're just about to kill them both, and 2 other players join, dragging in 2 new foes while you are at the front of the line for more abuse from the new foes. And, instead of healing or shielding you, they heal and shield themselves! Now I find that annoying. I'm to the point where I'm posting in text to please not join my battle, but it doesn't work. Unless I accidentally get dragged into a battle, I ALWAYS ask first. It's just common courtesy.
This always happens when I've just clicked on my beefed-up sweeper. They must be able to see my hand of cards, and see that I'm clicking on tempest, and time their arrival so enemies are staggering in over not one, but two additional turns. And they do nothing to help while the new mobs start pounding you.

Seems the worst offenders for this are storm and fire - they think they are gods' gift to the spiral. One wiz I removed from my friends list was a life - it's really hard to say NO to a life joining your battle, but he was so awful at it, he was an absolute liability. He was never there to help, only to ask me to help him level.

I had a couple friends who seemed competent lvl 70s. They would invite themselves into my boss battles and then one of their very underleveled Pagoda buddies or a little brother or something, would port to them adding another enemy. Then both of them would run into trouble quickly and expect me to heal them. I started removing people for doing that and several of them resorted to verbal harassment so I ignored them, too.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012

Yesterday I was trying to do a high level spell with lots of blades and traps and somebody joined in! The hit my target and killed him!!!

Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
Looking back at our posts and how long our complaints have been going on in past threads too, I don't think KingsIsle really cares about the low levels killing us in battle and porting and all that stuff. The most they've done is prevent people from porting into dungeons which is even worse for us because if we need help, we don't get it and die.
Oh and @Molly, your post isn't at all related, you're talking about somebody coming and killing your target (which I agree is REALLY annoying) but this is about low levels porting and killing us.