Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pet vs pet

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I was just playing some pvp, and I realized that most of my opponents just had epic and ancient pets that ensured their win. This is isn't very fair. All it is now is pet vs. pet

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
watermelones on Apr 12, 2013 wrote:
I was just playing some pvp, and I realized that most of my opponents just had epic and ancient pets that ensured their win. This is isn't very fair. All it is now is pet vs. pet
You also have the option of training your pet(s). So how is it unfair?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Pets don't ensure anyone's win. It's skill and strategy that are the ultimate winners. Everyone has the opportunity to train their pets up to mega. For some, it takes longer than others, but the opportunity is still there.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 12, 2013 wrote:
Pets don't ensure anyone's win. It's skill and strategy that are the ultimate winners. Everyone has the opportunity to train their pets up to mega. For some, it takes longer than others, but the opportunity is still there.
A pedigree 32 pet that no-crowns pvpers have access to is unlikely to give the same caliber of benefits that a Sea Dragon or Velociraptor would give. Even if you train it to mega it will still give you (at best) pip o' plenty, myth giver, myth shield, and maybe life giver. Compare this with the stuff the crown pets could develop by mega.

And then again you could train your baby myth sprite to mega and get Cheeky, Wise, Hearty, and Effective. Which do nothing for your pvp matches. Crown pets usually have a higher pedigree meaning their genome isn't cluttered with recursive abilities like these - they start with higher overall default attributes and most if not all their genome is composed of useful talents.

So while pets don't guarantee a win, they do guarantee the owner of the better pet will start the match with an extra piece of gear that confers sometimes substantial advantages.

And it costs the same amount of time, Energy, and snacks to mega your myth sprite as it does a Sea Dragon. So most people whose pet choices are limited to drops don't bother.

I at least train all the random piggles and sprites up to adult (no snacks until teen) to see if I get at least a school damage bonus or a Myth-Proof or pip boost. Those are pretty useful if you are level 10 or so and just getting started. It's a waste of time to go any further.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
> It's skill and strategy that are the ultimate winners

Since when? If you're talking about ranked, it's all about who has the best tricks, treasure cards, and gimmicks.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Everyone is right, pets don't dictate who wins and loses.

Obviously the player with the pet gets an edge, but it's just a little non-required add-on. I didn't get an actual good pet on my level 5 ice commander till he was roughly 750 in rank, then I got it just to help me with the blade and spritely + proof

Explorer
May 14, 2009
I don't see how that is unfair. Sure, it is a pain to get good traits and a lot of money to make the perfect pet, but after the work someone put into one, they deserve to use it in a duel.