Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire vs Storm - School Favoritism?

AuthorMessage
Champion
Dec 01, 2011
I have completed Azteca with my Diviner, and I should say that my Diviner had no problem with Azteca. Coinsidence? Not really. I have been observing the way my Diviner deals some damage, and I have created a conclusion from it.

Storm has a big advantage in PvE against fire. They are able to deal WAY greater damage in less rounds. They have also been given some great utilities. But what about fire? Tell me, do you have Backdraft or Detonate in your deck? At rare times right? Thats what my fire does.

I dont want to complain, because I am actually not. I am happy with both schools, as I have a wizard of each school.

If you think that I am "complaining," you might think that this is wierd that I am "complaining" about my OWN wizard's school.

Thank you, and please tell me what you think and feel free to post your feelings about this.

#popcicool7777777

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
popcicool7777777 on Mar 19, 2013 wrote:
I have completed Azteca with my Diviner, and I should say that my Diviner had no problem with Azteca. Coinsidence? Not really. I have been observing the way my Diviner deals some damage, and I have created a conclusion from it.

Storm has a big advantage in PvE against fire. They are able to deal WAY greater damage in less rounds. They have also been given some great utilities. But what about fire? Tell me, do you have Backdraft or Detonate in your deck? At rare times right? Thats what my fire does.

I dont want to complain, because I am actually not. I am happy with both schools, as I have a wizard of each school.

If you think that I am "complaining," you might think that this is wierd that I am "complaining" about my OWN wizard's school.

Thank you, and please tell me what you think and feel free to post your feelings about this.

#popcicool7777777
I have both detonate and backdrat in my deck, and in my storm i even have supercharge, insane bolt, and enfeeble, i'm crazy. I really don't know how to explain on this, both are great schools, but still fire does have more health and resist usually, so it's an even trade off.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
lol half the time i find im the one dealing greater damage then storm wizards. i dont run into very many storm wizards that value damage boost the most beleive it or not. i have a storm thats level 42 and its becoming obvious to me he will be dealing a lot of damage in the future. my fire went through azteca without to much trouble. im not sure if im the only one that does this but i always have backdraft in my deck lol its a boss killer however i have never used detonate as i see no reason to at all. if i have 4 pips left over after my rain or dragon im gonna use meteor.
as for storms advantage yes they sure have one as long as you have the right gear. cause if you got the right gear, oh my goodness storm owl would kill everything without fail so long as you know your limits and how many blades and/or traps you need(i think supercharge would be enough though)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
my fire and storm wizards are 50 levels apart, so i don't think i can accurately compare them at this point, lol.

my pyromancer, who's finishing up in krok, struggled until she got her meteor strike spell, but my diviner was all over that, ever since she was a baby wizard. sestiva is the most-deadly weapon in my arsenal... her damage boost is +90%, and she has perfect accuracy, which makes her pretty scary. if i ever try pvp with her, i pity the poor person standing on the other side of that circle- even ice wizards with immunity will shake with fear, because she's awesome like that.

yes, storm's damage is higher than fire's, but at the expense of resist and crit block. they are, as i'm sure you know, the go-big-or-go-home school: either they hit big, or fizzle and "go home" to the commons. storm was built for damage, and nothing else... their job is to kill before they get killed.

as of now, i am absolutely dreading the day sestiva heads off to azteca. yes, she has better resist and crit block than most diviners i've run across, but it's nowhere near enough to survive the enemies' massive critical hits (which, by the way, happen almost every round); she's been lucky thus far, but her luck will run out somewhere. plus, i've already got 2 wizards in azteca, and that's more than enough azteca for me, lol. so i think i'll take my time and enjoy avalon, while i still can, without worrying about what's to come.

as for angela (my pyromancer), she's the baby of my main account's wizarding family. but her noob days aren't going to last forever, so i'm taking my sweet time leveling her up.

-von
sestiva & angela,72 storm & 22 fire.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
gweedoboy on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
lol half the time i find im the one dealing greater damage then storm wizards. i dont run into very many storm wizards that value damage boost the most beleive it or not. i have a storm thats level 42 and its becoming obvious to me he will be dealing a lot of damage in the future. my fire went through azteca without to much trouble. im not sure if im the only one that does this but i always have backdraft in my deck lol its a boss killer however i have never used detonate as i see no reason to at all. if i have 4 pips left over after my rain or dragon im gonna use meteor.
as for storms advantage yes they sure have one as long as you have the right gear. cause if you got the right gear, oh my goodness storm owl would kill everything without fail so long as you know your limits and how many blades and/or traps you need(i think supercharge would be enough though)
My storm boost is somewhere near 110%+ damage, while retaining decent defenses and health. Even with that it still took me a while to complete Azteca.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Dr Von on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
my fire and storm wizards are 50 levels apart, so i don't think i can accurately compare them at this point, lol.

my pyromancer, who's finishing up in krok, struggled until she got her meteor strike spell, but my diviner was all over that, ever since she was a baby wizard. sestiva is the most-deadly weapon in my arsenal... her damage boost is +90%, and she has perfect accuracy, which makes her pretty scary. if i ever try pvp with her, i pity the poor person standing on the other side of that circle- even ice wizards with immunity will shake with fear, because she's awesome like that.

yes, storm's damage is higher than fire's, but at the expense of resist and crit block. they are, as i'm sure you know, the go-big-or-go-home school: either they hit big, or fizzle and "go home" to the commons. storm was built for damage, and nothing else... their job is to kill before they get killed.

as of now, i am absolutely dreading the day sestiva heads off to azteca. yes, she has better resist and crit block than most diviners i've run across, but it's nowhere near enough to survive the enemies' massive critical hits (which, by the way, happen almost every round); she's been lucky thus far, but her luck will run out somewhere. plus, i've already got 2 wizards in azteca, and that's more than enough azteca for me, lol. so i think i'll take my time and enjoy avalon, while i still can, without worrying about what's to come.

as for angela (my pyromancer), she's the baby of my main account's wizarding family. but her noob days aren't going to last forever, so i'm taking my sweet time leveling her up.

-von
"even ice wizards with immunity will shake with fear, because she's awesome like that."
...Even quequeg?(; Sorry von, you can't beat an ice with 6118 health and over 80 storm resist..<3

Anyways, on topic:
Who uses detonate first of all. LOL. As for storm, let me put it this way:

Storm: PvE Boss, PvP fail.
Fire: PvE decent, PvP awesome. c: (Obviously not the best, but still very good IMHO)

Speaking of which, I need a strategy for PvP on my storm...

Champion
Dec 01, 2011

-von
Lucky, your still in Avalon! Since grade 4 (when I was an 8) I have been attached to the King Arthur and Queen Guinevere. I did some little research and I found this: Arthur's father Uther Pendragon, the wizard Merlin, Arthur's wife Guinevere, the sword Excalibur, Arthur's conception at Tintagel, his final battle against Mordred at Camlann and final rest in Avalon.

When I first saw Avalon, I knew I would have so much fun. In these days I was level 33, so I pulled my sleves up and speen ran the worlds to go to Avalon. I loved it. The subtile little wink Kingsisle gave me at the end almost made me... you know... well, I was about to cry.. reminded me of all those nice dreams I had... ...

Sorry for the emote abuse, hehe.

Anyways, back on topic.. where was I? Oh yeah, enjoy Avalon the more you can, and think of me when your doing Ghost Avalon and when you are squishing that Young Morganthe..

PS - Things you must know about Morganthe:

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
This is a huge problem for me. My first character was a diviner. I decided to make a life pvp noob and just kept leveling it and now its legendary. I dare not go past archmage because i am so used to being done bosses in 4 to 5 turns that i can't wait the 10 to 12 turns as well on my life. It may sound stupid but it infects 1 in every 1 storm first wizards. As a wise woman once said, "ain't nobody got time for that"

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
popcicool7777777 on Mar 19, 2013 wrote:

#popcicool7777777
For me im a bit opposite. My pyro does insane damage very quickly and i have always said from my experience that fire moves through the game the fastest. For me the fire school can do the most damage the fastest of all schools.

On the first round i can meteor with a colossal for over 2000 damage to all opponents. Now if i wait till round 2 i can meteor for over 3200. And if i have tag alongs with me blading and trapping by round 2 im doing over 6000 to all opponents, This is crit included of course.

Now if you go by actual damage instead of speed then storm has the advantage with a full pip tempest of course but that takes 5 rounds to get to.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011

-von
My Storm Wizard, my second wizard, is now in Avalon and I enjoy playing him far more than my Balance wizard currently struggling in AZ.
I can already see problems for my Storm wizard as he works his way toward AZ. My WW gear is starting to show its vurabilities and having less life than most other schools is definitely a concern. I've only overcome this aspect by buying amulets etc that give a life boost as well as a card.
My Pyromancer is only in Marleybone ATM so a long way to go before I can make comparisons.
Von I wanted to ask you about gear for AZ I know crit becomes irrelevant since bosses always block so crit block is more important but what about resistances...those guys throw around some mean spells!!!
Any advice you (or other Diviners ) can provide about preparing me for AZ would be greatly appreciated

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Enlightened One on Mar 23, 2013 wrote:
My Storm Wizard, my second wizard, is now in Avalon and I enjoy playing him far more than my Balance wizard currently struggling in AZ.
I can already see problems for my Storm wizard as he works his way toward AZ. My WW gear is starting to show its vurabilities and having less life than most other schools is definitely a concern. I've only overcome this aspect by buying amulets etc that give a life boost as well as a card.
My Pyromancer is only in Marleybone ATM so a long way to go before I can make comparisons.
Von I wanted to ask you about gear for AZ I know crit becomes irrelevant since bosses always block so crit block is more important but what about resistances...those guys throw around some mean spells!!!
Any advice you (or other Diviners ) can provide about preparing me for AZ would be greatly appreciated
me and QQ have each taken a balance wizard through azteca, and we agree that they struggled, when compared with the other schools.

for the most part, my balance played support to que's ice; second time through, her balance plays support to my necromancer. it's not that we can't do it alone~ it's just that having a friend around makes the torture go by faster, lol.

gear for azteca... both my balance and death wizards are in full or partial waterworks gear, and neither had any issues with early defeat or unblocked critical hits (well, maybe one or 2 the entire world, lol). the avalon crafted gear is only good for ice (and maybe storm)~ my balance wizard was required to craft 2 separate sets of gear, both of which were subpar and are now collecting dust in her bank.

you need gear with good resist and block. forget critical~ it's pointless. and get a pet with proof, accuracy, and some may-cast-healing talent.

sestiva has just started avalon and she's in full ww gear; her pet is a therizinosaurus with proof, may cast fairy, and storm sniper, so she has about 30 universal resist, +90 to damage, and perfect accuracy. she hasn't run into any problems yet but, if i start to see cracks in her armour, i might get my balance wizard to craft the dun dara gear for her.

and yes, Ronster is right. sure, converts and amour piercing exist for a reason, but no one will ever beat super-tank Brynn.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2012
I am a total fan of storm! They don't have too much life, but their damage is amazing! Sure they fizzle a lot, but I go with storm

Dolan Griffontalon Grandmaster Diviner (level 52)