Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ghost chasers, or archmage

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
I'm 76 necromancer now, but when I get to the top levels, which gear do I buy? Or do I buy packs? ghost chasers has a crazy critical hit ratio, and archmage has resist. Do I go one way or the other, or I do buy the ghost chasers hat, but robes and boots of archmage.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Brandon Nightcaste... on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
I'm 76 necromancer now, but when I get to the top levels, which gear do I buy? Or do I buy packs? ghost chasers has a crazy critical hit ratio, and archmage has resist. Do I go one way or the other, or I do buy the ghost chasers hat, but robes and boots of archmage.
don't waste your crowns~ your level 60 waterworks gear is still the best available, for all schools.

my necromancer is level 87 in azteca, and still wears his full ww set; if you're not interested in farming, the wintertusk crafted gear is the closest alternative. when you get to azteca, you want resist and block: critical is random, and i'll gladly get rid of it, if it means a boost to my more-important stats.

-von/shadowsong/valerian
90 balance & 87 death

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
get WW gear or crafted (I prefer crafted) they are both good and have balanced stats.

Wolf Nightcaller lvl 90 balance commander
Talon Spiritfinder lvl 81 life knight
Wolf Sunwalker lvl 71 fire knight
Wolf Nightcaller (original name right?) lvl 10 myth captain

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
Yeah, I do have ww gear, but people say there's a craftable gear in azteca that tops it

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Brandon Nightcaste... on Mar 27, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, I do have ww gear, but people say there's a craftable gear in azteca that tops it
the azteca gear is only slightly better, and you can't even get to it until you're practically done with the game (no porting to friends, either, since quest prog unlocks the vendors).

both of my wizards in azteca are still wearing waterworks gear; i have a level 90 wizard, but she is nowhere near the end. i've seen my friend's crafted gear (she's the same level and school as me), and it's just... meh. like, balance wizards have to craft 2 separate sets of gear, neither of which is that great.

-von
90 balance/87 death/72 storm and the uber-noobs.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Brandon Nightcaste... on Mar 27, 2013 wrote:
Mix and match friend thats the best option. Solid WW gear is not the answer or you may get back on and post that you are getting defeated more often than you should be like others do. I see some posting they cannot make it past something solo yet they wont accept tips on changing their gear or playstyle to make them more versatile.

Its a funny thing when you get stuck in the past. I definately wont use an playstation1 if i have access to a playstation3 you know what i mean. Waterworks gear was great when we were back at level 60. Now we need and have access to a bit more options like azteca crafted, crowns an pack gear. Mix them together and you get a much better solution to your problem.

Or you can just do whatever you want but if you waste a week farming for the waterworks gear at level 75+ just imagine how far you might have made it in the game during that time. I guess it comes down to what you want and what you can achieve.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Von honey - We're talking about gear stats, not how we get them.

WW hat, crafted AZ robe, and block boots (93 uni block) are best. No crowns needed.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Dr Von on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:
the azteca gear is only slightly better, and you can't even get to it until you're practically done with the game (no porting to friends, either, since quest prog unlocks the vendors).

both of my wizards in azteca are still wearing waterworks gear; i have a level 90 wizard, but she is nowhere near the end. i've seen my friend's crafted gear (she's the same level and school as me), and it's just... meh. like, balance wizards have to craft 2 separate sets of gear, neither of which is that great.

-von
90 balance/87 death/72 storm and the uber-noobs.
Yup - first paragraph

Yup - second paragraph. I'm the other Balance wizard Von is talking about. I did craft the AZ gear just to see what it would actually do for me.

For Balance, you have to craft TWO hats. One offers elemental resist and the other offers spirit resist. While wearing the elemental hat (for example), if elemental bosses use a mastery amulet for spirit, you're going to get smacked to the ground, because your spirit resistance drops way down.

The AZ robe is only slightly better than the Wyrd Walker crafted robe from Avalon. The boots are so-so.

I still switch to my Waterworks gear quite frequently, or do a little mix and match with the AZ gear, depending on what I was fighting.

What's going to help in the long run, is finding a good Athame, Wand and Ring, and in some cases, amulets as well.

Overall, the AZ gear is not worth crafting. Avalon gear (for some schools) works the best. The Archmage crown boots are good for a bit more universal resistance. I use those on my Balance wizard.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Rony The Turtle on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:
Von honey - We're talking about gear stats, not how we get them.

WW hat, crafted AZ robe, and block boots (93 uni block) are best. No crowns needed.
Well Said Ronster!

To those of you that want to waste crowns on gear, go ahead, you will just be that much of an easier target in PVP and be defeated that much faster. So please, feel free to waste your money and get those losses in.

Do not listen to Ronster, you will make PVP that much more difficult!

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:
Mix and match friend thats the best option. Solid WW gear is not the answer or you may get back on and post that you are getting defeated more often than you should be like others do. I see some posting they cannot make it past something solo yet they wont accept tips on changing their gear or playstyle to make them more versatile.

Its a funny thing when you get stuck in the past. I definately wont use an playstation1 if i have access to a playstation3 you know what i mean. Waterworks gear was great when we were back at level 60. Now we need and have access to a bit more options like azteca crafted, crowns an pack gear. Mix them together and you get a much better solution to your problem.

Or you can just do whatever you want but if you waste a week farming for the waterworks gear at level 75+ just imagine how far you might have made it in the game during that time. I guess it comes down to what you want and what you can achieve.
lol lastday i hope your not refering to me or people like von and darth as we have all stated that we have done azteca mostly solo, heck i even did the spell quest without henchmen so really if its just that terrible then i must be twice as skilled as you are lastday lol.
heck i dont even re arange my deck while people like you are always messing with it and are always rearanging your gear for every fight.

you know i dont know about you but i have 40 universal resist, 82 damage boost, and 19 accuracy(at least thats what i would have if my pet hadnt eaten my ww robe), those stats are what i live off of so if youve got a pyromancer with better stats then that then plz tell me what he is wearing as i have yet to see anything better then my ww gear witch btw also gives me some nice healing boost. i also cant seem to tell you enough times that the only gear worth buying in the crown shop is the archmage attire as everything else has either not resist or is only good for fighting 2 schools(level 80 and 85 crown gear).
keep your ww gear as nothing anytime soon is gonna give you better stats then what it gives you(at least for fire).

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:

Apart from the Hoard Pack Wands and the Jade Gear, there is nothing better in packs.

And Von,

I only wear my WW hat: because it gives general resist, instead of resist to schools of my group.

The crafted robe may be better with 1% more resist. It also gives more health than WW.

The Ice/Your School boots are way better than WW Boots. It gives a ton of general critical block, as well as higher health and resist.