Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cant survive on my own any tips

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 13, 2010
I am a lvl 86 balance wizard which I cant solo anything. I can do a lot of damage with some blades and traps but when I am blading and trapping they kill me before I use all my blades and traps?

Survivor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time in Azteca. I just finished Azteca with my Balance wizard. I would say that I went solo for 95% or more of that world. I'd be more than happy to share my insights with you. What do you have for gear and pet? Since you are level 86, did you get the new astral spells to help?

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
Quinn Shadowrider on Jan 18, 2013 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time in Azteca. I just finished Azteca with my Balance wizard. I would say that I went solo for 95% or more of that world. I'd be more than happy to share my insights with you. What do you have for gear and pet? Since you are level 86, did you get the new astral spells to help?
my stats are 6 damage to all school exceot for balance 69 30 resist to balance 3 accuracy for balance 26 critical rating to all schools 72 block rating to all school except for balance 127 and for myth 115 85% power pip chance 7healing in 3 healing out 0 stun resist and 2 armour

btw cant get star spells tried heaps of times

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Cole Dunerunner on Jan 17, 2013 wrote:
I am a lvl 86 balance wizard which I cant solo anything. I can do a lot of damage with some blades and traps but when I am blading and trapping they kill me before I use all my blades and traps?
not true~ my (now-level-90) balance wizard soloed most of azteca (except for the grind-y 3v1 dungeons that no sane person should ever want to do more than once, but that's another topic).

my question to you: how high are your resistance and critical block? if you can tell me what gear you're wearing and what stats you have currently, i can help you.

-von
promethean sorceress

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Cole Dunerunner on Jan 19, 2013 wrote:
my stats are 6 damage to all school exceot for balance 69 30 resist to balance 3 accuracy for balance 26 critical rating to all schools 72 block rating to all school except for balance 127 and for myth 115 85% power pip chance 7healing in 3 healing out 0 stun resist and 2 armour

Yeah... you're gonna need stronger gear to survive in Azteca...

I suggest the waterworks gear, or the crafted gear from Avalon/Azteca.

Explorer
Mar 06, 2010

Try getting the waterworks gear and a pet with spell proof or defy, i am a storm wizard with 41 resist to all schools cause of waterworks gear and my pet and with that resist i can solo most people, also try to find the best wand for your character from bazaar, not sure about best wand for lvl 86 but i currently use rod of icy tears which you can get from bazaar, which gives in the 30s critical and in the 60s critical block.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010

Try an find gear that increases that block rating and resist, You can let your crit level drop because of how many mobs have high crit block now. Try to find more universal resist if you can instead of specifics unless you want to drag a bunch of gear in your backpack and then thats fine. I had resist up to 50ish and thats like a permanent tower shield all the time.

Health is another key factor that alot of wizards are overlooking, Ive seen dozens of wizards going into azteca with under 3200 health and that just will not do. When i went into azteca i was at 4700ish health now i range from 4850-5100 depending on what im wearing on set day.

Also sometimes dont try for the huge hit, On my fire i utilize the meteor all the time, and storm uses tempest more than sirens, Life uses meteor more than life spells, Ice i usually go with meteor there also, Death uses deer knight and meteor, I dont have a myth or balance in azteca yet.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 21, 2013 wrote:
Try an find gear that increases that block rating and resist, You can let your crit level drop because of how many mobs have high crit block now. Try to find more universal resist if you can instead of specifics unless you want to drag a bunch of gear in your backpack and then thats fine. I had resist up to 50ish and thats like a permanent tower shield all the time.

Health is another key factor that alot of wizards are overlooking, Ive seen dozens of wizards going into azteca with under 3200 health and that just will not do. When i went into azteca i was at 4700ish health now i range from 4850-5100 depending on what im wearing on set day.

Also sometimes dont try for the huge hit, On my fire i utilize the meteor all the time, and storm uses tempest more than sirens, Life uses meteor more than life spells, Ice i usually go with meteor there also, Death uses deer knight and meteor, I dont have a myth or balance in azteca yet.
Excellent advice lastdaysgunslingler. I'm a Lvl 83 Balance Wizard in Azteca and I struggle with almost every quest. I currently have WW Hood of Judgement and Boots of Judgement (still desperately trying to get Robes of Judgement.. These two items have helped and I've already noticed an improvement in my survivability.
The problem with Balance is that we are "Jack of all trades, master of none", we are very good at blading/traps for other players as well as healing but we don't have high damage spells like other schools (relatively speaking).
Your tips for using lower pip spells is quite correct, I use sandstorm and power nova far more than Ra ( I'm five levels away from my next spell.)
I also load up on global spells like blizzard etc because my secondary school is life. Spritual/Elemental defuse are good too but I find the pip cost too high.
I hope some of this advice helps and if there are any Balance Wizards out there who have found some good battle tactics/strategy, please let me and your Balance brothers and sisters know
James Dreamweaver lvl 83 Balance

Survivor
Jan 18, 2012
It is a matter of play style also. I knew going in, that I'd want a pet that provided an extra blade - the Dragonblade. So, my Balance uses a Tricky Dragon. I do a lot of pet stuff and did get a SPUD+mc Fairy pet out of it. However, for a pet, you want that extra blade, spell proof and some healing from it. For an extra blade from equipment, I used an amulet from Avalon.

For gear? I never did Waterworks with my Balance because I don't believe the gear is worth the time and effort. Instead, I craft gear from Wintertusk, Avalon and now Azteca. I have enough different gear that I can switch things out based on the school of the enemy. For the ring and athame - use something that boosts your global block, while also giving added pips and damage.

So for mobs, I could routinely use 4 unique blades for a Ra. If you craft your own Balanceblade TCs - you can make it even more powerful. For shields (which I never used), I trained all the individual school shields.

In a boss fight, the best strategy is to have the higher resist be against the boss (if different from mob) and then kill the minion as quickly as possible. Once the minion is dead, use some heals, and start to work on the boss.

Balance takes some tinkering with to solo, but I did most of Azteca alone. With good gear, a decent pet, and some thinking, you can tackle most enemies by yourself.

I'd be happy to meet up with anyone in game if they would like help or tips. See ya in the Spiral . . .

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Most of us got trapped in Azteca by trying to follow the same rules of thumb that we'd learned in the previous worlds. Remember -- new world, new rules. This includes new rules of thumb. So --

If they are killing you before you cast your big spell, two things come to mind.

1) Make yourself more resistant to their attacks. Gear up for Resistance, Critical Block, and consider packing shields.

2) Take less time to hit.

Every turn you put up a blade, trap, shield, or aura, is a turn they get to hit you and take more of your Health away.

I hate shields, personally. Total waste of time. But when I kept dying in WinterTusk, I pulled them out, dusted them off, and used them. Then put them away after WinterTusk and haven't pulled them out again since except in very rare circumstances.

The important thing is that there is a balance point (pun intended) between how long you take to get a hit off and how long you have to live.

Find that balance point.

Those of you who have had attack-all spells since level 22 have learned the value of the big multi hit which knocks them all down in one turn. Even us Life dudes got to learn that at level 58 when we were finally graced with an in-school multi.

However, that is not the only way to run a battle.

Think back to your pre-level-22 days. When you had multiple opponents, how did you beat them?

The right answer is: One at a time. Keep hitting the same guy over and over again until he falls.

Because now there are fewer of them hitting you. Which means you take less damage. Which means you need to heal less, have better chances of living long enough to heal (or hit) again.

Most of us stumbled at first in Azteca because we'd learned that "the" way to beat the game was a few blades and an enchanted multi hit. But that takes time to build. Time which can get you killed in Azteca.

Different jungle has different rules.

So back off, shake off your assumptions, and start as if it was your first time in a new game.

What do you need to beat these guys?

For me, it turned out to be a spam deck. Fast hits, fast heals, no permanent structures for them to take away like blades, traps, auras, or even pips and accuracy.

What will your answer look like? I don't know -- but it probably will include fewer blades and smaller hits. Cuz if you are getting killed before you cast, you are taking to long to cast.

And gearing up to survive longer wouldn't hurt, either.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Aditha12,

Any updates? Have you found a way to beat the bad boys of Azteca?

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Survivor
Jun 17, 2012
So, i feel your pain. I'm in aztec and its hard, i couldn't solo the place at all. But then i thought, what is holding me back? My answer: gear ( that includes the pet ). Here are the stats you should at least try to get:
-100-200 critical hit rating
-90-100 block
-50+ damage
-20+ resist
-5+ accuracy [optional] ( depends on school accuracy, 5 should do it for balance )
-Pet that can heal ( i recommended your school pets, most have spritley )
i have a few more of each of those items and i was able to beat a boss with about 20,000 health alone.

Hint: it was water works gear for balance that got me those stats.
Tip: Once you lose a battle dont give up, try again cause all the time its not cause your bad.Maybe its because you used the wrong spell at the wrong time.

So anyways i hope that helped

P.S. Tell me if there is anything i should change
P.S.S This was built specifically for balance, but if your in another school, this might work if your feeling you can't survive in azteca.

Good luck with aztec a y'all.