Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spamming and the problem it creates

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 17, 2009
Alright I know this'll make me sound really whiny but I have to say this, spamming is really obnoxious. It shows us that you have no talent in dueling and are basically mocking us with the fact that you aren't strategizing and working your brain like the rest of us in dueling. I would like to propose making spamming and anything related to it illegal and banded from the game due to the fact it really isn't fair and isn't really fair to everyone else who's fighting.

That's just me though,

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Define spamming, and then we'll see. The answer is probably no though.

Here's a suggestion: instead of a hamfisted and probably unenforceable ban on "spamming", why not just find acceptable nerfs to the spells so commonly spammed?

Survivor
Oct 05, 2009
Spamming is a strategy. You keep the opponent on the back foot. Admittedly, it is a bit simpler than others, but its still a strategy.

Also, spamming isn't a free win strategy, it does require thinking, as endless spamming can be countered by endless heals and shields. You can also counter spam. It just requires some thinking to beat spammers. Interrupting them is also very effective, as a spammer requires momentum. Stop that momentum, and you regain the upper foot.

As for banning spamming, that's going to be hard (practically impossible) to do. Spamming can be obnoxious, but in PvP, a competitive scene, it's about winning. If spamming makes you win, then people are going to do it, especially in Ranked.

Also, good spammers won't just endlessly spam, they will actually use the spam to build up to something bigger. It keeps them safe in a very aggressive way as they build up to a large finisher. A strong can offence can also be a strong defense.

So, instead of whining to KI to ban spamming, figure out how to beat it ingame. That makes you a better player and makes it easier to beat more people.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
Worlack on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
Spamming is a strategy. You keep the opponent on the back foot. Admittedly, it is a bit simpler than others, but its still a strategy.

Also, spamming isn't a free win strategy, it does require thinking, as endless spamming can be countered by endless heals and shields. You can also counter spam. It just requires some thinking to beat spammers. Interrupting them is also very effective, as a spammer requires momentum. Stop that momentum, and you regain the upper foot.

As for banning spamming, that's going to be hard (practically impossible) to do. Spamming can be obnoxious, but in PvP, a competitive scene, it's about winning. If spamming makes you win, then people are going to do it, especially in Ranked.

Also, good spammers won't just endlessly spam, they will actually use the spam to build up to something bigger. It keeps them safe in a very aggressive way as they build up to a large finisher. A strong can offence can also be a strong defense.

So, instead of whining to KI to ban spamming, figure out how to beat it ingame. That makes you a better player and makes it easier to beat more people.
No it's a lack of strategy because it's uncreative and really just a quick fix for people to achieve a quick "victory" for their wizards and witches. And I think you and I both understand healing and shields aren't spamming they're necessary for any battle. Obviously we want our spells to be more powerful and we want our health up so as to not be defeated quickly. Spamming though is completely pointless because anyone can do it literally anyone so there's no talent or as you call it "strategy" to it. It's just repetitive attacks of the same spell. No talent, no forethought, no strategy, and no positive points.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

P.S. Whining? wow dude that's really rude and kinda disrespectful of me. I'm not whining, I'm just merely pointing out that spamming is an unfair and unsportsmanlike "tactical option" in PVP.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Sapphirewater on Jan 3, 2016 wrote:
No it's a lack of strategy because it's uncreative and really just a quick fix for people to achieve a quick "victory" for their wizards and witches. And I think you and I both understand healing and shields aren't spamming they're necessary for any battle. Obviously we want our spells to be more powerful and we want our health up so as to not be defeated quickly. Spamming though is completely pointless because anyone can do it literally anyone so there's no talent or as you call it "strategy" to it. It's just repetitive attacks of the same spell. No talent, no forethought, no strategy, and no positive points.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

P.S. Whining? wow dude that's really rude and kinda disrespectful of me. I'm not whining, I'm just merely pointing out that spamming is an unfair and unsportsmanlike "tactical option" in PVP.

Sarah UnicornFlower
Define creative, and why do strategies have to be creative? My primary requirement of a strategy is that it makes me win. I do find some things a bit OP (i.e. wild bolt spam, especially when it hits max and criticals), but that's a result of too much randomness.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
If you mean being annoying and saying the same thing over and over and not stopping, you can simply ignore them.

If you mean using the same spell over and over again, your claims are flawed and you may be the one not strategizing. If it is removed, then it wouldn't be fair to the people who actually knows how to use a common tactic that is necessary sometimes. KingsIsle will never ban this kind of "spamming", it would be really hard to do so and they would upset lots of people due to another game mechanic being changed.

In short, verbal spamming may be annoying but you can just ignore the person or find another group, the other kind of spamming is a strategy, people could build enough pips to be able to use the same spell over and over and that could be more useful than buffing yourselves sometimes. I don't see the problem with that kind of spamming at all.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Sarah UnicornFlower
XD ok i fined this funny

1 spamming is a strategy do you know why? easy because it keeps people back to the wall while the downside its a pip waster unless there on a team they spam snow ball to get rid of the other teams block while another ice wizard blades up and get ready for a epic hit but there still a down side in 1vs 1 pvp it can fail you just because your spamming a spell that say is 2 golden pips so 4 pips doesn't mean your enemy wont blade up while you hitting them with a harmless spell and hit you hard with lets say woolly mammoth not only that but spamming also good to lower your enemy guard they will think your going only cast the same spell if your spamming till they see you stop spamming

so it is a strategy not a vary good stragegy unless your in pve but none the less a stragegy it truthfully useless in pvp

and any good pvp carrier blades and stuff to counter there spamming

Defender
Jun 13, 2009

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Sarah UnicornFlower
I agree that spamming is a dishonorable tactic to be used in the arena for example Jade Juju spammers, Wild Bolt/ Insane Bolt Spammers, lore spammers, etc. however that does not mean it is an ineffective strategy it simply means that the person just doesn't want to think as hard to win matches so they resort to spamming. if a person is to spam a spell there are ways around the tactic just like every other strategy people can think of in the arena. Sure it is annoying but there is really nothing we can do about it except find different ways to defeat spammers because they will always exist in wizard101. Any player with enough skill can overcome any opponents strategy they come across including spammers.

Mason Greenbane Prodigious

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Sarah UnicornFlower
I completely know what you mean, spamming is such a lack of skill when I am over here trying to use my confidence and ability to create great combos and try to kill at some point. BUT, a ice walks along( no offense just stating the strength and capabilities facing another school over another, anyways) a ice comes along with 7K health, 80-90 damage,+60 resist and 28 pierce just spams abominable weaver like its nothing and gg in about 3 shadow pips I am dead. if pvp was that easy why not I just make a ice lvl it to max and do the same. but that no fun when your that op and pvp is suppose to be a challenge so I stay using a school that can be beaten and beat the greats of my disadvantages.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
Robobot1747 on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
Define creative, and why do strategies have to be creative? My primary requirement of a strategy is that it makes me win. I do find some things a bit OP (i.e. wild bolt spam, especially when it hits max and criticals), but that's a result of too much randomness.
Strategy- A scheme or plan of action. Spamming isn't planning. Spamming is just ridiculous laziness.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Sapphirewater on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
Strategy- A scheme or plan of action. Spamming isn't planning. Spamming is just ridiculous laziness.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice
Kindly define something I asked for. (spamming, creative) Also, it seems as though spamming fits your definition of strategy. The opponent is coming in with a plan to spam.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
Robobot1747 on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
Kindly define something I asked for. (spamming, creative) Also, it seems as though spamming fits your definition of strategy. The opponent is coming in with a plan to spam.
Look... I'm in a really really really really bad mood as it is...So I really don't wanna put up with someone who's being kind of a smartaleck... I just defined what strategy and I just said spamming doesn't fit into the definition.~-~

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

P.S: The opponent isn't coming in with a plan. He's coming in with a quick fix way to "win". As I've said before. IT ISNT STATEGY!

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
Robobot1747 on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
I agree with spphirewater because why?

spamming not strategy make pvp unbalance and I though guys hate shadow magic because shadow enchanted spell and I last time hear coming about shadow enchanted spell praying for shadow pips to do a OHKO not skill base? for being cheap & raging rank and 3arc so, mess up because pvp so, unbalance others people doesn't want play fair?

strategy is key of winning but spamming is not (won't help you win vs others class)

when I came to wizard101 had trouble picking school want to be (so, feel bad for ice) allot people complain about ice wasn't useful school in pvp (so, be ice wizard) show people what tanking is really about!

kingsisle make ice wizard be immune fire & storm because ice allot issus of defeated storm because to overpower (to much spell to remove blade) pvp has got harder for ice because storm figure out get pass threw ice defense ever since zafaria as new world (bought out armor pierce)

but pvp has gone allot more easy for ice (now more to offense then defense) able take out strong school out very quick when they vs jade gear wizard

(spamming is annoying in pvp) sometime spamming not everything of winning pvp and do there pvp strategy and don't make a mistake and then won't lose to a spammer and others ways to beat spamming and such a issus with jade juju spammer and think like a school that be easy way to get rid of those spell remove weakness?

I love using death spell for mine ice wizard because help for extra healing vs a wizard that are a life dispel spamming and also myth spell others school get frisky of spamming trap, shield

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
This is an easily debatable topic. I can see Sarah's point of view, but to be honest I have to say it is a strategy that should be allowed. I'm neither against nor for spamming... it's just an option out there that some people consider. I do think it does require skill, because I know people who have tried just randomly repeating the same spell or pattern of spells and it doesn't work. It only works if they build it up to something greater, like others have said in the comments, and if they keep it steady. The opponent could just block that steady rhythm. For example, if a was spamming wild bolts the opponent could spam shields and weaknesses in return. Spamming is not a detailed, complicated system, it's simple, but I think that things don't always have to be "creative" as you put it.
- Gabrielle Silversword 93

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
Lizziebell03 on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
This is an easily debatable topic. I can see Sarah's point of view, but to be honest I have to say it is a strategy that should be allowed. I'm neither against nor for spamming... it's just an option out there that some people consider. I do think it does require skill, because I know people who have tried just randomly repeating the same spell or pattern of spells and it doesn't work. It only works if they build it up to something greater, like others have said in the comments, and if they keep it steady. The opponent could just block that steady rhythm. For example, if a was spamming wild bolts the opponent could spam shields and weaknesses in return. Spamming is not a detailed, complicated system, it's simple, but I think that things don't always have to be "creative" as you put it.
correct

I was and vs a love spamming FFA & Fire Beetle (then ice think of & second option take strategy and fire school hate guardian spirit when life critical a guardian spirit :)

don't forget about dispel because dispel can help because they can remove people shadow pips (they cast a shadow enchanted spell at right timing)

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
By definition, any play that anyone makes at any time is "strategy". If someone chooses to spam, whether it be Dispels or Weaknesses or Wild Bolt, that is a strategy. The fact that it annoys someone is proof that at least on some level it's working.To "ban" certain strategies would be virtually impossible. Who's to determine what spells fall into the "spamming" category? How many times must a spell be cast sequentially before it's considered spamming? And what should the penalty be for exceeding those numbers? Should you no longer be able to use that spell in the match or do you have to wait a certain number of rounds before you can cast it again? One method would be for the game to monitor the number of times a particular spell is cast in row. But if someone chooses to cast three Towers in a row does that mean they're spamming? If only specific spells are singled out for the "banning" action then who decides what spells those are? Everyone has a different opinion of which spammed spells are bad for the game and should therefor be included on the "Spam-Ban" list.
All of the spells in this game serve a purpose. They are there for us to use in whatever way we deem necessary in order to win. If casting Dispels is your method of choice then so be it. As others have stated, there are counters to that, so if that's what repeatedly happens to you, and you don't prepare for it, then bad on you. The onus is on you to be ready for any contingency and if you can't handle that then perhaps PvP is not for you.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
TucsonWizard on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
By definition, any play that anyone makes at any time is "strategy". If someone chooses to spam, whether it be Dispels or Weaknesses or Wild Bolt, that is a strategy. The fact that it annoys someone is proof that at least on some level it's working.To "ban" certain strategies would be virtually impossible. Who's to determine what spells fall into the "spamming" category? How many times must a spell be cast sequentially before it's considered spamming? And what should the penalty be for exceeding those numbers? Should you no longer be able to use that spell in the match or do you have to wait a certain number of rounds before you can cast it again? One method would be for the game to monitor the number of times a particular spell is cast in row. But if someone chooses to cast three Towers in a row does that mean they're spamming? If only specific spells are singled out for the "banning" action then who decides what spells those are? Everyone has a different opinion of which spammed spells are bad for the game and should therefor be included on the "Spam-Ban" list.
All of the spells in this game serve a purpose. They are there for us to use in whatever way we deem necessary in order to win. If casting Dispels is your method of choice then so be it. As others have stated, there are counters to that, so if that's what repeatedly happens to you, and you don't prepare for it, then bad on you. The onus is on you to be ready for any contingency and if you can't handle that then perhaps PvP is not for you.
Make Rules To PVP keep people spamming:

made: BLACK FLAG Rules means:

Black Flag Means For Wizard: "Consultation Flag" Wizard make this as: BE BLACK FLAG for spamming? don't stop spamming next 5 around

second black flag call:

black flag with diagonal white stripe means for wizard:

Wizard101 make this flag: to Wizard NOT OBEYING THE BLACK FLAG WITHIN 5 AROUND (or Indicating scoring of the wizard has been suspended until further notice
----------------------------------------------------
(card deck be suspended from rank pvp/tournament) want there deck back from being suspended (cost: CROWN fines) cost under how much crown does it cost for not respond black flag rules!

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
TucsonWizard on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
I totally agree with you. If Wizard101 were to enforce a rule of some sort, it would be almost impossible to make people happy because there are different levels of what people could consider "spamming."

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
I pvp on my ice level 60 and I cast multiple spells in a row. Basically what you're saying is if I choose to do nothing for four rounds and save my pips up you want me to be punished for it? I cast two spells in a row and people start to bellyache about it, and no it doesn't always work to my advantage. You run into a turtle, mana burn, or a charm chopper and it offsets the game dramatically against me.

So why not ban shields because people shield a lot or ban mana burn because it takes your pips away. While we're at it why not ban heals because you know only noobs heal, or treasure cards even? It's a game mechanic that you can't take away. I give you four rounds to kill me and if you don't I'm going to knock you out or hurt you real bad to where you have to heal and I still have enough left for two more hits coming. If you're opponent isn't really doing anything for several rounds and you're still having trouble you need to look at your approach to pvp and reassess the situation.

Survivor
Sep 04, 2008
Agreed, wandering wizard. I'd like to think that when she says spamming, she had a few spells in mind,(lore master, brimstone, luminous weaver, and possibly winter moon, not to mention bolts). True, those spells particularly make spamming a very effective strategy and very annoying at times, but like a lot of other people have already said, its a part of the game and it can't be monitored by KI. It would take a lot of work to make the previously proposed system and KI would most likely lose a lot of players because of it. I think what gets to people the most is not the strategy itself, but the spells being used. The ones above are just a few spells I personally see the most, but in reality, any rank five or four and below spell can be spammed. Its the spells that are being used that make it so effective. I'm going to use lore master as an example (Balance wizards please don't yell at me ). For four pips, you can do 390-470 damage and afterwords you put on a -20 weakness and a -30 accuracy. Thats a really good spell for pvp, for a lot of reasons. 1. The damage it does is really good for a rank4 balance spell 2. The after affects are amazing because they de-buff your opponent after you just did damage to them 3. As a rank 4 spell, its already in perfect position to be spammed, as most wizards that have it have no problem getting the power pips needed and it's not wasting any pips either, like with some of the rank 5 spells. I think to fix the problem of spamming, its not the strategy that needs to limited or banned, but the spells that need to be nerfed. Or like previously mentioned, there are ways to get around spamming too. The best thing to do is to come prepared and find the weakness in your opponents strategy and then go from there.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Sapphirewater on Dec 29, 2015 wrote:
Alright I know this'll make me sound really whiny but I have to say this, spamming is really obnoxious. It shows us that you have no talent in dueling and are basically mocking us with the fact that you aren't strategizing and working your brain like the rest of us in dueling. I would like to propose making spamming and anything related to it illegal and banded from the game due to the fact it really isn't fair and isn't really fair to everyone else who's fighting.

That's just me though,

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice
Actually, what it shows is that your opponent isn't using your prefered strategy in battle. Spamming is a strategy, and quite useful used correctly.

And, if K I were to ban spamming, they'd have to change how all the mobs outside of PVP work, because that's pretty much what they do. None of them boost up for a massive attack. they hit as hits come up, even with stuff like tempest and judge. They don't even wait for pips for those, they just hit.

there are far too many other things that are highly unfair about PVP, and that do need to be changed (and won't be). This isn't one.