Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jewel socketing does not seem to work at all??

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello,

I tried the new "Jewel Socketing" and it seems to have absolutely no effect?
Please before you answer, make sure you have a good understanding of math and how this game works.
EG:
I have a fire defense of 29% before the jewels. I added an additional 80% with a 3 separate jewels. I was attacked and the spell was firezilla. I was hit for 473? I find that kind of odd since the normal damage is average 690 from a fire zilla.
Now even if the firezilla was at max damage, it should be
730 - 29% = 518, then 518 - 80% =103. So I should have been hit for 103 or less?

I also went a step Further and un-equipped the items that gave me the extra 80% fire resist

I still received the same exact damage 473

I did this a few times, I switched back and forth with the ( jewel socketed ) items and I have seen absolutely no effect.

So can someone answer this?

Thanks
Mark Dragonleaf

Defender
Jan 27, 2012
Thats because you didnt add 80% resist. You added a flat 80 damage off of any fire attack.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
You didn't add 80% resist; you added 80.

The jewels subtract a fixed amount of damage, not a percentage. Note that there is no % indicated, and that it appears on a separate line of your character stats.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Hello! Happy to answer the question. Now that's not the way the jewels work. The jewels are not in Percent's. The jewel Most likely shows 29 And fire resist. It will remove 29 Damage from an attack not 29%. Always make sure you see the % sign. Most jewels don't have Percent's in them. You have 80 damage off an attack from that firezilla. If the jewels were in percent's The game would break essentially because players would be far too overpowered. Hope this explanation helps :)

Survivor
May 08, 2011
Defense jewels subtract a number, not a percentage. For example if you have a -10 resist jewel, it subtracts 10 damage not 10% of the spell. As for you seeing no effect, i have no clue. Maybe the things you unequipped took away stats that was able to have the same affect.

Timothy Darksword lvl 74

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
The damage and resist on jewels is not percent. It's flat. So it will have very little effect.

I've been going for critical, block, and accuracy since those *are* percent.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 11, 2015 wrote:
The damage and resist on jewels is not percent. It's flat. So it will have very little effect.

I've been going for critical, block, and accuracy since those *are* percent.
Critical and block are rating, not percent. If you mouse over your wizard character stats you'll see what they really add, which under the current system is almost always 1% per jewel.

When the next update comes to live, presumably next week, that will change slightly, roughly 1% critical per 5 rating, but with some overall deduction for level.