Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mythology and Random stuff in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 20, 2008
Wizard101, as do most RPGS, (especially JRPGS) Goes off of lots of Mythology. Like. A LOT. A LOT OF MYTHS. So I wanted to talk about some in wizard101, or, at least the ones i know! Also just bringing up fun thins i know because, still. Why not?

We'll start with a more Obvious one. At least i think its obvious. The Jade Palace. I am not exactly sure what myth its from, but its from an Asian myth. (Seriously, I do not know.) Now, into something I am more sure of, the Oni's. In Japanese Lore, they are demons that ravage villages, and kinda sort of, just. Well. They have fun making a mess of people. Three of the Oni's you fight in Mooshu are named after 3 of the horsemen of Apocalypse. (War, Death, and Plague) Which, i personally thought was a cool thing. When I was 14, and i still do now.

In Norse Mythology, there is a tree named Yggdrasil, which connects all the realms in its mythology, allowing people to travel to them. Its also called "The World Tree" or "The Tree of Life" as its what keeps everyone in the world alive.
Grendel was the name of a monster that the warrior Beowulf slayed. Although, i might be mistake, the Grendels act more like Erklings, German wood spirits that would hide in forests, and kidnap kids with their entrancing laugh.

Probably my favorite world in the entire game, Avalon, has LOTS of references. Lots. So many, my brain couldn't handle it. I love it.
First, its name, in Arthurian Legend, Avalon was the mythical island of Apples. Caer Lyon, (Caerleon) was a city where Arthurs court was, Annwn, or, those crystal caves in Avalon, was the Scottish otherworld. The sword of kings real name is actually Caliburn. That was the sword that allowed King Arthur to become king, the sword in the stone. Anyone who wields it, can also become the king/queen. (Basically, we are all leaders of avalon. let the hunger games, BEGIN!) Excalibur, was the magical sword he received from the lady of the lake. It is NOT the same as Caliburn (the sword of kings) This world also have several references to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Which was probably the most beautiful reference in game history. Ever. (Kingsisle, I love you for those references ) And lots of other stuff. (The Coconut mount is a direct reference to a joke in Monty Python.)

Mount Olympus is pretty obvious, as is Atlantia. But, Tartarus, is actually a pit in the underworld, for condemned souls. (Yay!) The Garden of Hesperides, is a garden where the gods got there immortality.

Xibalba is the underworld in Mayan mythology. And the World, Azteca is based off the Mayan apocalypse calendar.

Shangri-Baa is a parody of Shangri-La, which was a harmouns valley in the Himalayas. Like how Shangri-Baa is a valley in the Himoolayas. (With harmony stuff)

Anyway, thats it for now! If you noticed other mythology references, or movie references, let me know!

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
Yeah, Wizard 101's foundation is built off of mythology, that's where they get all their cool ideas from and add a little twist to it to make it funny. The worlds are based off of the cultures that did exist or still exist today,(Mooshu: Medieval Japan with Samurai, Marleybone: 20th century England, etc.), The creatures we summon are based off of myths, some well-known ones include the chimera, dragons, imps, satyrs, centaurs, minotaurs, hydra, etc..