Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

weird issue, is it a bug?

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Here's the issue I have. I play W101 windowed so I can do other things. if I pick a spell, then switch to my browser, w101 deselects my spell selection. I'm thinking that it shouldnt be happening, but Im curious if others notice this, and if in fact it is a bug, since I'm not clicking anything in the game window at all

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
dayerider on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
Here's the issue I have. I play W101 windowed so I can do other things. if I pick a spell, then switch to my browser, w101 deselects my spell selection. I'm thinking that it shouldnt be happening, but Im curious if others notice this, and if in fact it is a bug, since I'm not clicking anything in the game window at all
When you do other things your game window becomes inactive. Not a bug ot a glitch.

You need to stay active in the game window inorder for your spell to be cast. Once you go to work on other things, you are nolonger in an active game window.

You can cast Multi-Spells, just not Multi-Task. :)

LOL

Sophia Dragonheart

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Sophia Dragonheart on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
When you do other things your game window becomes inactive. Not a bug ot a glitch.

You need to stay active in the game window inorder for your spell to be cast. Once you go to work on other things, you are nolonger in an active game window.

LOL

Sophia Dragonheart
what if the results are inconsistent? it only happens sometimes, not every time. it happens sometimes if i mouse click elsewhere OR ALT+TAB. if what you say is true, shouldnt it happen every time and not only some times?

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Sophia Dragonheart on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:

LOL

Sophia Dragonheart
No, that's wrong. It's absolutely a bug and a problem.

It doesn't always happen. It doesn't usually happen here, thank goodness since we often double or triple box, but sometimes it does what the OP said; a spell is selected, but goes away when I change to the other window. That is NOT supposed to happen.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Sorry,

I think I have seen a spell, that I thought I had selected on, get posted, but it turned out not to be.

For some reason I thought that was me not doing it right. (I do not multi-Task)
And I may have looked away from game screen after selecting the spell.

So I think I will pay a lot more attention to see if It was selected and then went away.

Maybe this is what you are talking about. That has happened to me alot.

I thought it was me causing it. I will come back and let you know what I learn next time it happens to me.

So Question:

You are sure you did select your spell and it was showing selected, before you went to do your browser? (am I understanding this right)

Because, I was not as sure if my spell was selected or not, I sure thought it was.
I just know it did not cast like I expected it to, thought maybe I did not make sure it was showing as having been posted.

Will pay more attention and get back to you. :)

Sophia Dragonheart

P.S. The game window does go inactive when you are looking at your browser, until you click on it again. You can still see movement but if left alone for a time, you get kicked off the game. :(

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Sophia Dragonheart on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
Sorry,

I think I have seen a spell, that I thought I had selected on, get posted, but it turned out not to be.

For some reason I thought that was me not doing it right. (I do not multi-Task)
And I may have looked away from game screen after selecting the spell.

So I think I will pay a lot more attention to see if It was selected and then went away.

Maybe this is what you are talking about. That has happened to me alot.

I thought it was me causing it. I will come back and let you know what I learn next time it happens to me.

So Question:

You are sure you did select your spell and it was showing selected, before you went to do your browser? (am I understanding this right)

Because, I was not as sure if my spell was selected or not, I sure thought it was.
I just know it did not cast like I expected it to, thought maybe I did not make sure it was showing as having been posted.

Will pay more attention and get back to you. :)

Sophia Dragonheart

P.S. The game window does go inactive when you are looking at your browser, until you click on it again. You can still see movement but if left alone for a time, you get kicked off the game. :(
I am 100% positive i selected a spell, because the "waiting for other players to choose their spell" box came up. What Im saying though, is if it is supposed to go idle, or deselect your spells, why does it NOT do it all the time? it's willy nilly

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
dayerider on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
I am 100% positive i selected a spell, because the "waiting for other players to choose their spell" box came up. What Im saying though, is if it is supposed to go idle, or deselect your spells, why does it NOT do it all the time? it's willy nilly
It isn't supposed to, but sometimes it does. I've never found the cause.

Usually you can select a spell then change focus to another window and the spell will stay selected, but occasionally when you change focus, the spell goes blank and it goes back to waiting for you to pick. A related problem is the pointer icon going away when you are over that window. It vanishes or gets stuck. I can usually fix that by minimizing all windows, then bringing the problem one back up. Most of the time that makes it normal again.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
dayerider on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
I play two wizards at a time and I've seen it happen, but very rarely. It may happen on average once a month at most. The occurrence so infrequent that I didn't bother to try and figure it out. Usually I just chalk it up to I accidentally clicked somewhere else on the screen before I switched windows.

How are you changing windows? Are you playing full screen and using a key to select other windows, or do you have your windows shrunk down so that you can select other programs from the task bar? I do the latter, and as I say the times this has happened to me is so negligible that I considered it a non-issue.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
High Five Ghost on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
I play two wizards at a time and I've seen it happen, but very rarely. It may happen on average once a month at most. The occurrence so infrequent that I didn't bother to try and figure it out. Usually I just chalk it up to I accidentally clicked somewhere else on the screen before I switched windows.

How are you changing windows? Are you playing full screen and using a key to select other windows, or do you have your windows shrunk down so that you can select other programs from the task bar? I do the latter, and as I say the times this has happened to me is so negligible that I considered it a non-issue.
I am playing windowed (not full screen), and it happens if I ALT+TAB or just click the mouse on my browser