Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I train my pets correctly?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
So right now I have one adult banshee and one teen piggle. I am level 33 and I don't know when I need them trained by. I don't have many good treats so it takes so long to train my pets. So when should I have them trained by and any tips on doing so? Thanks for any help.

Survivor
May 30, 2012
Well, there's no time frame of when you should have your pets trained by--you should train at your own pace, no need to rush.
I'm not sure if you have a character that's finished Zafaria, but you could do Mirror Lake for Mega snacks (2 Pixie Sticks per completed run). It's pretty worth it if you have a good team to farm with. Gardening is another good way to gain Mega snacks (Couch Potatoes and/or Magma Peas--might be more but I forgot). And lastly, buying them in the Crowns shop is another way to get them, through but I doubt you'd want to pay crowns for Mega snacks. Those are all the suggestions I have for you. Maybe someone will post another one I haven't mentioned.

Good luck on your pets!

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
If they are pets you bought or got as a drop, train only to adult. hatch the one you like best with a pet that has better talents. Then train that baby to adult and see if you like it enough to train more, or want to hatch again.

Plants are a good way to get snacks and gold. You can garden Prickly Bear, Couch Potato, and (best if you can afford them) Evil Magma Peas. There are some more:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?213621-A-Guide-to-Mega-Snack-producing-Plants

I think Sword Ferns and maybe others have been added since that guide.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2014
So Gemma, the pet you hatch with does it need to be epic or mega? Also, how does that work with learned talents versus empty spots?

For example:
Parent A is Epic with 4 learned talents

Parent B is Ancient with 3 learned talents

The Baby will always get 10 possible talents but only 7 talents of the possible 20, assuming a talent is not duplicated, are learned. So what I am asking is if the offspring will always get a mix of learned talents and then 3 random unlearned talents or is it a random mix of the 20 talents regardless of what a parent has learned?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Scribble Scribe on Feb 18, 2015 wrote:
So Gemma, the pet you hatch with does it need to be epic or mega? Also, how does that work with learned talents versus empty spots?

For example:
Parent A is Epic with 4 learned talents

Parent B is Ancient with 3 learned talents

The Baby will always get 10 possible talents but only 7 talents of the possible 20, assuming a talent is not duplicated, are learned. So what I am asking is if the offspring will always get a mix of learned talents and then 3 random unlearned talents or is it a random mix of the 20 talents regardless of what a parent has learned?
Hatched pets will always have 10 talents, mixed from both parents pool of 20. The age of the parents doesn't matter. The reason people like to hatch with epic or mega pets is to see more of the talents, but it doesn't affect what you get. Both learned and unlearned talents can pass to the baby.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2013
Soarent, Since they sound like first generation (Drop or bought) it is best just to get it to adult.
You can do a google search for the piggle and banshee. Just type in wizard101 and what the pet type is. Make sure you include whether it's a blue, red, life, or boss banshee. Same thing for the piggle.
If you look up the talents for your first gen. pet and the person who you hatch with knows their pets talent list that is the best and fastest way to go. Take a screen shot when you hatch and you can compare the two to the off spring. If you need some help on that part you can post that screen shot and one of the offspring over at central and they may be able to help you decide whether to go past adult on training or try for another hatch. It may be fast or take several hatches.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?101-Pet-Mixing

Scribble scribe what the offspring gets is random. Most of the time it's a 4 to 6 or 5 to 5 according to shared talents. Manifested talents do seem to turn up more often, but there isn't a guarantee.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Scribble,
Your pet can manifes any of the talents from either parent, not just the learned ones.
And, there's no guarentee that the manifested talents from the parent will even go over.
The offspring will get 5 talents from each of the parents possible 10.

I hope this helps

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Sarg042 on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
Scribble,
Your pet can manifes any of the talents from either parent, not just the learned ones.
And, there's no guarentee that the manifested talents from the parent will even go over.
The offspring will get 5 talents from each of the parents possible 10.

I hope this helps
it isn't always 5 from each. Sometimes it's 6 or 7 from one parent. It's just luck.