Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what schools are the best for pvp

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 10, 2014
hi i was wondering what schools where the best in pvp in order from best to least. please leave a comment.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
hey, fred. in my opinion, death is the best school for PvP because it can swap. that way, you can attack, but still get health.

myth is good as well. they are wonderful at fighting solo in 1v1s.

then i think would be balance. they have minions that assist well by providing shields and pips. they also have lots of blades and often damage.

ice would be next. they have good health and resist. they also have fierce spells. maybe not the best damage, but their spells are solid and can come at any time.

fire would probably be next for me. it has good damage and surprises the enemy with DOTs.

life is after that. though they do not do too much damage, in the higher levels, they are fierce like ice. their spells can go on at any time.

storm would be last in my opinion. it tends to need a partner, and has less health than the other schools. however, storm has amazing damage and they can attack with feeling.

all the schools are good, but this is my opinion.

- Shadow out

Survivor
Jul 03, 2010
If you mean lvl 100 pvp then storm is good for basically EVERYTHING now. If your actually good at pvp go balance, but judging by your post your just looking for an advantage in pvp.myth is after balance, then ice, then... Well the rest aren't really good but if your looking to rank up do 1v1 it relies on you skills and not others and takes a little bit of the luck factor out.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Speaking from my experience and observations, you can be good at 1v1 PvP with any school up until around Level 40. Commander gear levels the playing field quite a bit. There's no best school, and you can even play secondary or tertiary schools to mix up your strategy. However, after Level 40, your opponents become too strong for the gear you have, so it shakes things up.

However, for Level 40 to Level 60, here's my opinion on ranking:

1st place: Ice
emphasizes DoT hits, has minions, gear offers good, often great resistance boost
easiest school to achieve Captain or higher rank with
newer wizards excel

Tie for 2nd: Myth, Death, or Fire
decent resistance, decent health
schools use DoT hits (Basilisk tc, Poison, Heckhound) as opposed to one-strike hits
newer wizards can learn the basics of these schools easily and high powered tc are always available

6th place: Balance
good damage, variety of attacks, can be quite good once you get some experience
newer wizards tend to get confused at all the options rather than planning out a strategy

7th place: Storm
resistance and health are a joke
1v1 is not worth your time until you get past Level 90 and learn Shadow magic
all but two Storm hits (elf and hound) are easily blocked with a shield
newer players end up spamming and "racing the clock" hoping for lucky criticals and Wild Bolts

Above Level 60, I think we are still figuring out who the best contenders are. Jade wizards and the Transcendent utility spells muddy the water a lot, it's too hard to say. However, Ice is still a main contender (as it always is), but Storm and Myth are making a solid comeback in the latest levels.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Lucas Rain on Dec 23, 2014 wrote:
Speaking from my experience and observations, you can be good at 1v1 PvP with any school up until around Level 40. Commander gear levels the playing field quite a bit. There's no best school, and you can even play secondary or tertiary schools to mix up your strategy. However, after Level 40, your opponents become too strong for the gear you have, so it shakes things up.

However, for Level 40 to Level 60, here's my opinion on ranking:

1st place: Ice
emphasizes DoT hits, has minions, gear offers good, often great resistance boost
easiest school to achieve Captain or higher rank with
newer wizards excel

Tie for 2nd: Myth, Death, or Fire
schools use DoT hits (Basilisk tc, Poison, Heckhound) as opposed to one-strike hits
newer wizards can learn the basics of these schools easily and high powered tc are always available

6th place: Balance
good damage, variety of attacks, can be quite good once you get some experience
newer wizards tend to get confused at all the options rather than planning out a strategy

7th place: Storm
resistance and health are a joke
1v1 is not worth your time until you get past Level 90 and learn Shadow magic
all but two Storm hits (elf and hound) are easily blocked with a shield
newer players end up spamming and "racing the clock" hoping for lucky criticals and Wild Bolts

Above Level 60, I think we are still figuring out who the best contenders are. Jade wizards and the Transcendent utility spells muddy the water a lot, it's too hard to say. However, Ice is still a main contender (as it always is), but Storm and Myth are making a solid comeback in the latest levels.
First off, where is life on your list? Also, I would have to disagree with balance at low levels. Because of its blades, it can utilize secondary schools well at low levels, and also can get loremaster and savage paw, which make it difficult to beat.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Dec 25, 2014 wrote:
First off, where is life on your list? Also, I would have to disagree with balance at low levels. Because of its blades, it can utilize secondary schools well at low levels, and also can get loremaster and savage paw, which make it difficult to beat.
My mistake. I meant to put Life at 5th place prior to Level 60, but I suppose it didn't make the list before I clicked submit. Life suffers from the same affliction as Storm, in that nearly all Life hits are single impact, but has many advantages that Storm does not:
  • very few opponents have a shield to guard against Life, and can only tower
  • Lifeblade and Trap more quickly boost your hits than most other schools
  • Sprite minions are actually useful
  • newer life wizards tend to be predictable and fail to vary their strategies (depending on Big Centaur, or forcing an opponent ragequit through healing)

Survivor
Dec 30, 2014
Aaron SpellThief on Dec 25, 2014 wrote:
I quit for about a year and idk what your saying pvping balance at a low lvl is bad, its at least 100% was the easiest school to get warlord

Survivor
May 14, 2011
All schools are good at PvP if played correctly. But my personal favourites are:

1. Myth - they have good attack, good health, and a decent amount of resist. At low levels, the minions are really useful.

2. Balance - Balance gets judgement at a very early level, which is really useful. At the higher levels, their damage is pretty good and the rest of their stats are also well rounded.

3. Ice - Ice has amazing resist. At the lower levels, their damage isnt the best but at the higher levels, it is in the 60 - 80 range. Since other schools resist is lower, their attacks can do a lot if planned correctly.

4. Death - Death has a lot of good drain spells and bad juju etc. All of their stats are well rounded and do a decent amount of damage.

5. Storm - Its pretty fun playing with a storm wizard since their damage is extremely high. They lack resist but their damage makes up for that

6. Fire - Fire has all rounded stats and a decent amount of health. I personally don't prefer playing with fire but its an amazing school if you know how to play with it correctly

7. Life - Life would be last on my list. Just like Fire, I dont really like doing PvP with this school but its great otherwise

~ Exalted Ice

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
Life, Balance, and Storm pretty much dominate the arena.

Mason Greenbane Exalted