Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How Do Pets Work And I've Heard Of Custom Pets?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Ok so I was and am still trying to figure out the meaning of a custom pet.

(First Guess On How Pets Work) So far I believe that it means I can choose what pet I want to train (how the pet looks). I get it to learn some power like "May cast unicorn" that it comes with, then I get it to at least adult, and I hatch it. After I hatch it, We both get an egg and I can train it again. Let's say he had "May cast tower shield" and some universal resist on his pet but mine didn't. Could I have the chance of getting the powers that his pet had and the power I had of "May cast unicorn" on the new egg we both got and being able to train it to possibly earn both of these on the new egg? Is this gen? P.S I hope this is true because being able to have resist and a bunch of may casts is awesome.

(Second Guess On How Pets Work) Or is it my second guess which is that you train it to adult at least and then you can hatch it and get a baby egg that has the ability to get an additional power that the parent could have gotten? Is this what people mean by first gen, second gen, third gen etc.? If not what does gen mean?

(Third Guess) Is it both of the first and second guess?

Thanks! And if you don't want to read all of the above can you at least explain if a pet can get multiple powers from both of it's parents, and what's a gen?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
A generation or "gen" is the number of successive hatches it has taken to get a specific pet.

A first generation is the original pet you buy or get as a drop in the game. It will have a standard set of talents and derby abilities in it's "genes" - 10 of each - and will "manifest" or unlock one of each every level you train it up.

When you hatch, you keep your original pet(s) as they are and get a new egg, which hatches into a second generation pet. That will have a mix of talents and abilities from both parents. If you hatch this hatched pet again, you'll have a third generation, and so on.

By selecting the offspring that have talents, stats, and abilities you want, and hatching them repeatedly, you can get the mix you want.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Oct 16, 2014 wrote:
A generation or "gen" is the number of successive hatches it has taken to get a specific pet.

A first generation is the original pet you buy or get as a drop in the game. It will have a standard set of talents and derby abilities in it's "genes" - 10 of each - and will "manifest" or unlock one of each every level you train it up.

When you hatch, you keep your original pet(s) as they are and get a new egg, which hatches into a second generation pet. That will have a mix of talents and abilities from both parents. If you hatch this hatched pet again, you'll have a third generation, and so on.

By selecting the offspring that have talents, stats, and abilities you want, and hatching them repeatedly, you can get the mix you want.
Oh, thanks this is exactly the answer I wanted and needed. I am very glad that I get to mix my favorite ability's together. And I now know what a gen is. Thanks A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Here are several pet-guides you may want to read. These will tell you everything you want to know about how to hatch and train great pets. Hope you find them as helpful as I have!

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Hatching_Pets

http://www.duelist101.com/community/thepetguide/wizard101-pet-talents/

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/