Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Awful Match-Ups

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
I recently emailed KI on the topic and they pointed me in this direction so here I am.

First of let me introduce myself, I have several wizards, one of which being a level 12 with just over 1300 rating in Ranked PvP. As I've ranked up I noticed an increase in difficulty, as one would expect, but around the time I hit 1200 or so, things got a bit.... ridiculous. My first notable match was against a level 30 fire commander who I fought 3 times. (winning every time, but still very unfair ) But roughly 15 minutes before my deciding to write this, I had an even more shocking encounter... a level 31 with 975 rating. How on earth is this even remotely fair? I understand that at high ranks you fight hard opponents, but at what point do you realize that a level 12 just flat out cannot fight these people. And these were only the higher ranking magi. I've fought people as high as level 55... As it stands now I'm a level 12 with 1391 rating and I think that we desperately need to enforce some kind of level difference cap in the PvP system. No matter how big the rank difference I don't think that you should fight anyone more than 20 levels higher than you. TC and commander gear can only get you so far in an arena with cannons with 50+ damage, twice your health, and an unblockable critical rate. Not only that but I think that PvP rating should play a WAY smaller role in the matching system because when it comes down to it, rating is just a number... unlike level.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear any input

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
I just fought a level 31 balance overlord.... the matches keep coming.
(Question if I was in the middle of a fight when maintenance occurred will it be counted as a tie or what will happen?)

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Aaron Mistflame on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
I recently emailed KI on the topic and they pointed me in this direction so here I am.

First of let me introduce myself, I have several wizards, one of which being a level 12 with just over 1300 rating in Ranked PvP. As I've ranked up I noticed an increase in difficulty, as one would expect, but around the time I hit 1200 or so, things got a bit.... ridiculous. My first notable match was against a level 30 fire commander who I fought 3 times. (winning every time, but still very unfair ) But roughly 15 minutes before my deciding to write this, I had an even more shocking encounter... a level 31 with 975 rating. How on earth is this even remotely fair? I understand that at high ranks you fight hard opponents, but at what point do you realize that a level 12 just flat out cannot fight these people. And these were only the higher ranking magi. I've fought people as high as level 55... As it stands now I'm a level 12 with 1391 rating and I think that we desperately need to enforce some kind of level difference cap in the PvP system. No matter how big the rank difference I don't think that you should fight anyone more than 20 levels higher than you. TC and commander gear can only get you so far in an arena with cannons with 50+ damage, twice your health, and an unblockable critical rate. Not only that but I think that PvP rating should play a WAY smaller role in the matching system because when it comes down to it, rating is just a number... unlike level.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear any input
I agree that matchups can be very unfair-I find that, at magus level, the matchups are horrible at higher ranks. I have a myth magus at about 1550 rank, and I often battle level 50-55 players with 60+ damage, three times my health, critical, block, better heal boost, about the same resist, better spells, more deck space, better power pips, better accuracy, etc. There's a point where, no matter how good you are, stats just overpower strategy.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Explorer
Nov 27, 2011
I created a fire wizard and he level 12 now, i PvP with him, and i was just a corporal when, surprise! you're gonna fight a level 34 And she was veteran I tried to kill her but everytime i hit her she healed and ugh i didnt like i hope they fix this

-Digby

Explorer
May 08, 2014
I am a lvl 35 sgt and it puts me against lvl 40 warlords with way better gear.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
My pvp wizard is level 34. Ever since I earned my vet badge, my opponents have been 90% grandmasters (some privates, mostly corporals and sergeants).

Now that I'm a captain, I'm willing to bet actual money that my next opponent will be level 60, in full waterworks or jade turtle gear, with massive critical and resist.

It would be nice to have some kind of level cap, so that it's not a case of death by lucky crit.

-von "el capitan" shadowsong

Survivor
Mar 13, 2012
I'm having the same issue Except, I'm a lvl5 and I like to pvp with my friend, she is a lvl5 also.
We've lost recently, well a bunch of times. This is due because the opponents are always warlords or knights. While we wizards are lvl 5 privates! We don't click that "Try All Opponents" icon. Why would we use it? Anywho, this has to be fixed. We both became Pvp Sergeants, but sadly ranked down by all these warlords. Even if they are not warlords/commanders/knights, they would be lvl 20 and/or even higher. This isn't fair. Please fix, Thanks
~Jennifer Darkflame

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
If you are a level 12 warlord, you should be drawing higher level opponents. Low level PvP is a cheap easy way of gaining rank. It is dominated by players who can get good gear and pets because they have higher level wizards, and mostly win using OP gear and TC.

If you are hitting a wall at 1200, good. It shouldn't be possible to endlessly rank up at very low levels. The matching system is working right.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
I have had battles where the opponent is 35 levels above me, and I have seen this many times.
I had expected that after the update, they may narrow it down to maybe 20 levels, but that is not the case.
I don't care if I fight a Warlord, but when I am a level 28 fighting a level 60, it's an uphill battle.
I have no critical block, no critical, and a solid un-shielded hit, it's Match end.
I don't mind a challenge, but I personally think that KI should wonder if level 58 and above should
be divided from level 57 and lower in pvp...... just my point of view on the matter.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Gemma Luna on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
If you are a level 12 warlord, you should be drawing higher level opponents. Low level PvP is a cheap easy way of gaining rank. It is dominated by players who can get good gear and pets because they have higher level wizards, and mostly win using OP gear and TC.

If you are hitting a wall at 1200, good. It shouldn't be possible to endlessly rank up at very low levels. The matching system is working right.
Yes, you should be battling higher level opponents, but not matches that are impossible to win. How is low level PvP any more cheap than higher level PvP? It requires just as much skill, and there are lots of warlords at both levels. The players with "OP" gear and treasure cards work for their gear. Wizard101 rewards playing the game for a longer amount of time...do you want it to be easy to get the best gear in the game, and just be sitting around bored and then eventually quit? PvP is my favorite aspect of Wizard101. I would prefer to not be forced to stop playing it in order to stop losing, as my competitive nature causes me not to enjoy myself as much when I lose within the first 3 rounds.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
" It requires just as much skill"

It certainly does not. It's a quick, easy way to gain rank because there is an endless supply of inexperienced new players to slaughter. Making a low level char on an account that has a high level, buying high level TC and good gear and killing low rank opponents is very easy. If you enjoy that, OK, but there's no reason to change the game to make it any easier.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Gemma Luna on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
" It requires just as much skill"

It certainly does not. It's a quick, easy way to gain rank because there is an endless supply of inexperienced new players to slaughter. Making a low level char on an account that has a high level, buying high level TC and good gear and killing low rank opponents is very easy. If you enjoy that, OK, but there's no reason to change the game to make it any easier.
Sure...the first few matches you do will be easy, but once you start battling higher level players, it gets harder and harder until the matches are impossible. Lower levels have fewer tools to use than higher level players, so yes, lowe level PvP can be much harder. I don't want ridiculously easy matches; I would be fine with matches where both players have a chance to win.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2014
The match up system is just plain broken until they fix it guys. Dunno what to say. It seems like they don't think any match ups will happen if they don't include a larger range of people. However I don't think they ever said pvp was fair lol. Anyhow I completely agree with you OP it needs serious work or narrow the level ranges.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
I agree. I have a myth that is a Grandmaster with a rank of 1908, and I fight Exalted players with 450-500 critical all the time. Although I do win a lot of these it's still unfair. You shouldn't have to fight people more than 20 levels higher than you. And what does it say to the high level. It must make them feel bad to fight people so many levels lower than them and lose.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2010
Dont complain. You all use tc to win -.- n is only 19 lvl difference

Some of us legendary face lvl 100 who r 40 lvl higher with MASS Damage, CRITICAL, Pierce, Health, sometime jade with 93 resist -.-