Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question about hatching and abilities

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
If you've paid attention and looked into hatching enough to know exactly what you were looking for in the hatching outcome, to the point where you could toss the pet in the trash after it hatched, without having to train it up to know, then this question is for you:

Have you ever seen a hatch produce offspring with 5 or more epic abilities? And yes, the parents have enough different epic abilities to account for 5 or more. Been trying for a while, keeping records of my hatches, and haven't yet seen more than four. The odds, if this is a truly random sequence of events and based on the abilities of the parents, I put at 1:420. Now, I haven't tried 420 times, but enough to begin to question why I never see more than 4 epic talents in the offspring.

Thanks for any insight!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Having a bunch of epic talents isn't always a good thing. It all depends on what talents you would like to instill into the gene pool for your pet and/or for future hatching.

My pets have a clean talent pool. What I mean by that is, that all 10 talents are universal and can be used to hatch or use with any school wizard I have.

I do have several types of talent sets that I use to hatch. Since you are looking to see if someone has 5 of more epic talents on the pet, yes there are wizards out there (including myself) that do. However, I will usually trash them, because the combination of talents that manifest are not what I'm looking for.

For example, I do have a Lord of Winter pet that manifested 5 epic talents: mc Balance Blade, Infallible, Critical, Healing Current, and Unicorn. The other 5 talents that didn't manifest were: Pain Giver, Proof, Sprite, Defy, and Fairy.

So, it is possible!

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for the info. That's amazing to manifest 5 epic talents. Now that I know its possible, I'll push forward. My Mythical Basilisk has an good set of talents, but unfortunately manifested three pig derby abilities, so I stopped at ancient. I've since bred him with a friend's Trojan Horse and manifested both epic talents: unicorn and piercemonger. I'm myth, so don't mind the pierce monger, but that idea of going for cross-school abilities is what I'm shooting for overall. I'm currently breeding that 2nd gen bass with a Bronze Golem I bought and waiting until I get the unicorn and myth fuel, or at least have the odds in my strong favor that those are two of the epic talents possible, then I'm breeding that with a sea turtle to get healing, and then start training and trashing until I finally get a pet that helps in battle.

To get to the level you are at with pets, how many hatches do you estimate you've done?

Thanks,

Stephen Wildshade
lvl 89 myth

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Hundreds of times, carefully picking which pets to hatch with to get just the right talent sets. Plus, I have a friend in the game who spent two years trying to get the 'perfect' talent pet with a clean gene pool as well. Lucky for me and other friends, we started a hatching frenzy with her and eventually, we had some pets more than worthy to be our base hatcher.

Not only do we now have more than one talent set, but all of these pets are also perfect stat pets (250 across the board).