Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

the haka and the aussie

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
when you first meet the mouse at the beach (just before you battle him) he tries and I mean tries to do the haka all well and good if the spelling was correct but did anyone notice that he has an Australian accent all well and good but kiwis and aussies are having a huge giggle as we are not the same country anyone else notice this big booboo

You've got a great eye (and ear) for details. I've been all over the Spiral, and I can tell you that they aren't really Aussies or Kiwis, they are more Mad Max-ians.

Many of our worlds are a blend of cultures, mixing and matching as needed, but that's great feedback, thanks!

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
Prospector Zeke on May 7, 2014 wrote:
You've got a great eye (and ear) for details. I've been all over the Spiral, and I can tell you that they aren't really Aussies or Kiwis, they are more Mad Max-ians.

Many of our worlds are a blend of cultures, mixing and matching as needed, but that's great feedback, thanks!
why thankyou prospector zeke for answering but anyone that knows mad max knows that mel Gibson is an aussie and has that great aussie accent lol

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Prospector Zeke on May 7, 2014 wrote:

Mad Max-ians? I don't think I could have put it better myself. Exactly what they reminded me of.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
calamity dragonhea... on May 12, 2014 wrote:
why thankyou prospector zeke for answering but anyone that knows mad max knows that mel Gibson is an aussie and has that great aussie accent lol
Hi
As an Aussie I always cringe when I hear the Aussie Digger's accent as he sounds like a really bad Steve Irwin lol.
The Australian and New Zealand accent is slightly different, just like the Canadian and American accents.
Our Kiwi cousins tend to sound their vowels slightly differently than we do so that the letter i sounds more like the letter e so fish and chips to someone outside NZ sounds like fesh and cheps.
Oh BTW, Mel Gibson grew up in Australia but he was actually born in the U.S.A.
Can I ask KI to consider hiring an Australian actor next time they need a downunder accent..believe me your Australian fans will appreciate it

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
Enlightened One on May 13, 2014 wrote:
Hi
As an Aussie I always cringe when I hear the Aussie Digger's accent as he sounds like a really bad Steve Irwin lol.
The Australian and New Zealand accent is slightly different, just like the Canadian and American accents.
Our Kiwi cousins tend to sound their vowels slightly differently than we do so that the letter i sounds more like the letter e so fish and chips to someone outside NZ sounds like fesh and cheps.
Can I ask KI to consider hiring an Australian actor next time they need a downunder accent..believe me your Australian fans will appreciate it
oh boy hate to put a dampner in all your um rivalry but as a kiwi myself your accent is not the best either I mean the way you say some things(which I will not put here) are not the best either so please leave us out of your words and if you had actually read what the first mouse was trying to say it was a very poor imitation to our haka but sounded awfully like hugh jackman from the movie rise of the gaurdians where he played the easter bunny which made me laugh as my kids all love the bunny and unfortunately yeah mel Gibson may have been born in the us but as he grew up in aussie he has the accent which is why I said what I did

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
calamity dragonhea... on May 14, 2014 wrote:
oh boy hate to put a dampner in all your um rivalry but as a kiwi myself your accent is not the best either I mean the way you say some things(which I will not put here) are not the best either so please leave us out of your words and if you had actually read what the first mouse was trying to say it was a very poor imitation to our haka but sounded awfully like hugh jackman from the movie rise of the gaurdians where he played the easter bunny which made me laugh as my kids all love the bunny and unfortunately yeah mel Gibson may have been born in the us but as he grew up in aussie he has the accent which is why I said what I did
Sorry if it sounded like I was critisizing the Kiwi accent, that was not my intention, I was just trying to point out that the accents between Australia and NZ was slightly different which was for the benefit for players in other countries.
I used an example not to insult but merely to illustrate the difference.
Hugh Jackman's accent in the movie was actually made very thick, I suspect that this was at the insistance of the studio.
Listen to his voice as the rat in Rattatuoi and you'll see what I mean. I knew the mouse was trying to say/perform a haka and I do understand it must have been annoying for an Aussie sounding character to speak a haka which is an intergral part of Kiwi culture.
Hope this clears up any misunderstanding about what I was trying to say.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Enlightened One on May 13, 2014 wrote:
Hi
For authenticity, yes. I have to agree.

What is equally laughable is the comparison between Canadian and American accents. I doubt that someone from NZ could stroll into the capital and not stand out when talking. Cannot mistake a Queensland accent, I could go on with examples, but I suspect you already know what I am talking about.

There are Canadians who live stateside that in no way stand out when talking, in either country. Here, there are Americans I have mistaken for Canadians. In the U.S. there are Canadians I have mistaken for Americans.

However, certain states, and provinces of both have radical changes to accent when compared to the rest of their respective country. In one case I honestly believed they were speaking another language until I got used to it.

Where was this? Just across the bay from where I live. Can drive there in half a day going out around. Cross the border and they sound different again, a 10 minute drive away.

For the sake of authenticity. Yes. For sure.

Perhaps I am a little thicker skinned than most.

The Khrysalis Lion boss therefore should have a South African accent? Am I right?

Survivor
Jul 07, 2012
mebbenow on May 12, 2014 wrote:
Mad Max-ians? I don't think I could have put it better myself. Exactly what they reminded me of.
i wanna be unmuted how cn i be unmuted when i am muted for a month plz plz plz un mute me i have learned my lessons not to say bad laugage if you do say sorry to the persong you did it to plz unmute me plz my parents are going to kill me if they found out i am soooooo sry for saying bad laugage without you i wouldn't have learned my lesson

thank you from gabrellia from wizard101 i am muted