Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Being an Author!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2014
I know this sounds silly, but hear me out.

This would work by having a desk much like the crafting stations placed in you're castle!
To unlock this, you would have to be level 20 or higher, basically you need the reagent leather, (and paper, which would come with this if implemented).

Once you have the required materials, (20 leather and 50 paper), you would press x or click to activate the desk and begin writing a book!
Once the book is finished it can be sold in the trade menu for a price.

The books would be one of a kind, not just an infinite supply.

I feel this would really bring creativity out in the Wizard101 community, and could let people be big book collectors and have a very big collection of awesome artwork from the community!

(also there would be a save and load feature, most people are creative already and they can't write in one sitting.)

Survivor
Mar 01, 2014
I like this idea, but would the books be sold or traded? (I wasn't sure what you meant) Also, would people actually read each of these 50 page books or just collect them? And if you do read them, based off of many player's grammar and word choice in the game, I wouldn't want to read some books. (Not saying these players are dumb, just a lot of them are pretty young)
To add to your idea, maybe there could be a book entry (like rating houses), where you could either read samples of books and rate them, or once a month, players are allowed to enter their books and others could rate them until there is a group of 5 or so that would win. These 5 could receive a prize of an item or bundle from the crowns store or gold.
A major problem with this idea would be the players who abuse open chat, there could be some PG-13 and even R rated reading material out there if they're able to abuse the system they way they currently do in chat.
I hope your idea is somehow used later on! :)
Katie Smith level 35

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
raysofoprah on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
I like this idea, but would the books be sold or traded? (I wasn't sure what you meant) Also, would people actually read each of these 50 page books or just collect them? And if you do read them, based off of many player's grammar and word choice in the game, I wouldn't want to read some books. (Not saying these players are dumb, just a lot of them are pretty young)
To add to your idea, maybe there could be a book entry (like rating houses), where you could either read samples of books and rate them, or once a month, players are allowed to enter their books and others could rate them until there is a group of 5 or so that would win. These 5 could receive a prize of an item or bundle from the crowns store or gold.
A major problem with this idea would be the players who abuse open chat, there could be some PG-13 and even R rated reading material out there if they're able to abuse the system they way they currently do in chat.
I hope your idea is somehow used later on! :)
Katie Smith level 35
I agree on the part where you said that there are chat-abusive players that would use a feature like this in ways that wount definitely not be appropriate. Maybe, if this feature was added, it could have stipulations along with it such as it being a traded sort of thing for friends-only. That way you would hopefully know what kind of person was giving you the book before reading it. Also there could be a list of words able to use and not use; so basically the same lines as the text chat (definitely not open chat).

Historian
May 15, 2009
not to be a bubble buster, but I have to agree with Raysofoprah.
I am a writer myself and while I would love to have a chance to show off my skills by writing a cool fanfic for the community it's the fact that some people would abuse this system and could potentially write some content that was really unsuited for the younger players.

I would like it if KI or other sites that support this game held more writing themed contests. it would give players who like to create stories an outlet with possibility of being rewarded for their efforts.

but an in game item would really be pushing it and I really wouldn't want KI to have to deal with some lawsuit because someone decided to write a very graphically inappropriate story.

the only way I could possibly see this working is if KI wrote in a new system that required any and all books to be checked by a KI employee before it could be allowed to be created/sold/traded. sort of what they do for these message boards. at least then they could try to keep it clean. However I believe that would require a lot of manpower that they don't really have because it isn't a priority.

if you can tell a lot of messages have a fairly long wait time up to 24-48 hours if not longer here before they get accepted and are visible. They don't have a lot of people sitting here all day accepting all the messages. so asking them to do the same but for millions in game and for an up to 50 page book? that would really be stretching it. some could take days weeks or even months to get accepted if ever.

so again I am sorry, but I just don't see this as a viable in game addition as cool as it sounds.

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
here are my ideas about this topic
  • we could have homework and text books
  • we could buy books of all genres at a library
  • there would be a moderator, before your book is published, much like the message boards
  • we could also sell our books to the library
  • we would need to make a title, genre, story or chapter book, font size, and font type.
  • we could use our screenshots in the game and post them in our book. there would also be a landscape option where we could take photos of scenery and friends without our character in the way
  • these are the following genres we can chose from...
1. fantasy
2. fairytale
3. home and garden
4. fashion
5. autobiography
6. biography
7. informal
8. personal experience
9. poetry
10. realistic experience
11. historical fiction
12. science fiction
13. guide
14. diary
15. textbook

please reply if you like any of my ideas

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
I like that, and add a spell check thing too!

Cole Goldenflame, Level 39 Pyromancer World: Mooshu and Grizzleheim Area: Tatakai Outpost and Mirkholm Keep

Survivor
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought I would fix mistakes people didn't understand,

To be sold, they would be sold to libraries in the Spiral, (e.g ones in krok, wc)

It is unfortunate, but the books would only be one of a kind, so they will demand large priced depending on the reader's opinion.

I agree with the moderator system, after the moderator has allowed it, it will be simply placed in the author's inventory to be sold or collected.

I also agree with the genre system, I think people need prior knowledge to something before purchasing it.

I also want to expand it with some ideas I came up with,

Much like the genre system, there would be a series system that you would use to obviously let the reader know what series it would be in, but, to ensure a decline of any extra problems, to make a new series, you would have to spend 3500 gold.

To make books more rare, I think to make a new book you would have to throw in an extra 100 gold, ( Sorry if this sounds expensive, but you don't have to make a series, you can just make a single book, then make a series as you get more gold in the game.)

Also, I agree with that one person who said there should be customization of font and text, it was a very essential thing I should have posted in the actual thread.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2012
As long as there was some sort of filter on it, I would totally do that!

Kieran SandTalon

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
Actually I was thinking writing and publishing would be free, but buying books would cost money. If writing books cost money, then no one would want to do it. That career is off the list!

Defender
Nov 10, 2012
I agree with you purrfectgirl. What if you could go to the librarian (There would be libraries in all worlds?), and ask to make an addition to the collection of books. (Aka you'd write on yourself) And you would write it, come back and have it submitted to be checked for naughty things. Assuming it was fine. It would be published within the game and people could purchase and read your book. Using bookshelves to store and display books, giving them a use.

Savannah MoonBlossom 29 & Jacqueline ShadowBlade 9

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
Blau Blitz Wolf on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
I agree with you purrfectgirl. What if you could go to the librarian (There would be libraries in all worlds?), and ask to make an addition to the collection of books. (Aka you'd write on yourself) And you would write it, come back and have it submitted to be checked for naughty things. Assuming it was fine. It would be published within the game and people could purchase and read your book. Using bookshelves to store and display books, giving them a use.

Savannah MoonBlossom 29 & Jacqueline ShadowBlade 9
KI would decide what to price the book (not pricy at all, meaning no more than 100 coins). once they check their collection they can collect the money the players have spent between the last 2 views by the player.(sorry its hard for me to put it in words). you can put your books on a bookshelf and view them whenever you want.

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
My questions on this would be:
Would menu chatters or mutes be able to do this?
What about unsavory people?
What about stealing ideas and turning it into a real book?
What if we make up a world or word that describes something?
When summer comes, Ice wizzies! Run!

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I'd love this idea! But allow me to make some suggestions:
  • When you finish writing your book, you would take it to any librarian in the Spiral.
  • That librarian would thank you for your submission, and then say "I'll go make sure there is nothing naughty."
  • Your book must be a minimum of 10 pages (to avoid spammers)
  • You can price your own book from 100-5,000 gold (because books are one of a kind)
  • You only get half the price you choose when you submit your book, and the other half one someone buys it.
  • You will get a notification when someone buys your book.
  • Four copies of your book are made when you submit it, three so you can sell them and one so you can keep one for yourself.
  • You can get ranks depending on how many books you sell.

-Nick level 100
"Child of Light and Shadow"

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Oh and the ranks can be:

Novice Book Writer

Starting Book Writer

Creative mind book writer

Soaring Stars book writer

Book Publisher

Defender
Nov 10, 2012
I really hope this is put into the game. This sounds extremely cool!

Survivor
Feb 11, 2011
i would totally do but the thing is these ingredients would be found all over the spiral because membership should not restrict you creative mind! i am not trying to offend people and sorry if i did, and also lets just make these books short but there has to be player made illustrations for the wonderful artist of the spiral and it has to be your own, if anyone uses that picture that's how you would catch a crook, i love this game and the KI team and hopefully this would happen!

with determination, the wheels of fate will drive you to success,

Survivor
Mar 22, 2014
Autumn Summerstone on Jun 5, 2014 wrote:
Oh and the ranks can be:

Novice Book Writer

Starting Book Writer

Creative mind book writer

Soaring Stars book writer

Book Publisher
Well, how would these be attained? By books sold? By books written? By size of a book?
Also, I apologize for being inactive, sub ran out.