Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Make the game more easy for single players Please

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 05, 2012
i know but lvl 58 quest their hard instead of damage why not get resistance but really you should see this michael stormwraith guy he never loses

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
I solo just fine! Well, except Mount Olympus. And Sunken City. But I'm in MooShu now and the battles have been easy.

Cole GoldenFlame, Level 38 or 39 Pyromancer World: Mooshu Area: Tatakai Outpost

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
hull1974 on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
joined back on FEB 15 and got to say LOVE The game im up to level 47 but then BAM you run right into a wall when you either have to fight a 8,000 pt monster or 3 months with 1500 to 6000 each.

there is never anyone on when i want to play and finding people is very hard to do

love to keep playing but being stuck with no more QUEST besides these insane ones (and waiting and hoping to find someone who is doing the same one)

really dont see a reason to keep the membership going sad to say. Got till april 14 to figure if i want to stay or not but right now im thinking bye bye
remember weakness and shields are your best friend peace and good luck in the real world

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
valdushawkflame on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
I played competitive backgammon in real life for 20 years and made quite a bit of money doing it. Note, I made money playing that game. I researched, practiced, strategized and it paid off financially. Now as far as Wizard 101 I pay real money to play this game. Membership, Crowns, etc. I use it as a way to blow off steam when I'm not doing my real job which pays money also. I like the storylines. I like the graphics. I like most of the people I encounter. I'm not prepared to devote the time it takes to get 20 different sets of armor for different boss fights, whether I get them by amassing Gold and purchasing them or amassing a million reagents and crafting them. I really have a limit of how much of my time I'm going to devote to this game. I'm only going to do a limited amount of research. I generally look on 101 before boss fights, mainly to find out their cheats and what spells they have.
I don't see any reason why KI can't strike a balance between the casual players and the non-casual players. Unless you're gaming to make money, when games become brutally difficult they become less fun. When games become less fun, people tend to stop playing them. If there were monetary incentives involved, trust me I'd study and research and practice and strategize with the best of them. But I'm buying here, not earning so it's a whole different ball game.
The point is, nothing is "brutally difficult" in wizard101. You don't need 20 different sets, you need a few different pieces though. And the research I referred to is exactly what you say you already do. Just take 30 seconds to look up the boss on wizard101central and see if/what cheats he has. We aren't talking about a major effort. We're talking about basics. KI does strike a very good balance in my opinion.

Explorer
May 07, 2009
hull1974 on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
joined back on FEB 15 and got to say LOVE The game im up to level 47 but then BAM you run right into a wall when you either have to fight a 8,000 pt monster or 3 months with 1500 to 6000 each.

there is never anyone on when i want to play and finding people is very hard to do

love to keep playing but being stuck with no more QUEST besides these insane ones (and waiting and hoping to find someone who is doing the same one)

really dont see a reason to keep the membership going sad to say. Got till april 14 to figure if i want to stay or not but right now im thinking bye bye
The game is a challenge to solo in many parts but with some effort it can be done. Also the team up feature should be quite useful now.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
GPM499 on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
I solo just fine! Well, except Mount Olympus. And Sunken City. But I'm in MooShu now and the battles have been easy.

Cole GoldenFlame, Level 38 or 39 Pyromancer World: Mooshu Area: Tatakai Outpost
The first arc never was the problem for solo players. It gets more difficult in the second arc. Most of it is still manageable, but there are some bosses & dungeons that can really set you back as a solo player, and overall it gets to be more of a slog, more work, less fun.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
gtarhannon on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
I have been pondering your post and I find that I remain conflicted. Speaking as a parent myself, I find that I often prefer to play this game with my kids in a whimsical laid back kind of atmosphere. On the other hand, I like to model how to solve problems with research and strategy. In particular, this bit stands out to me:

"Having to research strategies in order to play a game, is a bit silly. While it may be possible for everyone to do this work, most players don't really have the time or the inclination to work that hard in order to play a game."

I find that most cultures throughout the planet have traditionally used games to hone ones own survival skills. My father, for instance, used chess to teach me a great number of life lessons and actively encouraged me to research and study it for the purpose of improving my strategic mind. While I am not inclined to completely disagree with your points on 2+ hour dungeons and fun, light down time, I find I cannot completely agree either. From my perspective, we easily spend two hours or more going to a family movie when you include drive time, ticket purchase, etc. This activity is far more interactive than that, much cheaper, and doesn't require a change of Saturday morning attire. Further, I find it provides an opportunity for grandparents who may not live within driving range.

I guess I can see both sides. I will say this in addition to your points on long dungeons.. while I understand the purpose of cheating bosses and dungeons, I do NOT like them involved in the main storyline. I strongly feel that they should remain strictly optional as they do not (at least in my opinion) provide any light down time fun... only fun derived from strategic accomplishment. At any rate, I just thought I would weigh in with my perspective on the matter... ambiguous though it may be.
I appreciate your thoughtful response.

I agree that some games can be great teaching tools for sharpening the mind. I don't think this is one of them though. This is nothing like chess, and is not a high-strategy high-thinking game. This is a family friendly easy-going game -- or at least it was, up until they started ratcheting up the time commitment for beating bosses and dungeons.

Now it is still not a high-strategy game, it is just a longer slog of a game, with some stopping points that require both a lot more time, and also money or friends to get through.

Personally, I prefer my kids develop their research skills on things that really help them in life. My daughter has plenty of that to do for school, and she regularly builds those skills just looking up projects and information that interests her.

We did not get into Wizard101 for that purpose. We got into this game because it was a light fun relaxing activity we could do together or alone. And for years, that is what it has been. Recently though, that has been changing more and more -- and for us it is a loss, and a disappointment.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
I appreciate your thoughtful response.

I agree that some games can be great teaching tools for sharpening the mind. I don't think this is one of them though. This is nothing like chess, and is not a high-strategy high-thinking game. This is a family friendly easy-going game -- or at least it was, up until they started ratcheting up the time commitment for beating bosses and dungeons.

Now it is still not a high-strategy game, it is just a longer slog of a game, with some stopping points that require both a lot more time, and also money or friends to get through.

Personally, I prefer my kids develop their research skills on things that really help them in life. My daughter has plenty of that to do for school, and she regularly builds those skills just looking up projects and information that interests her.

We did not get into Wizard101 for that purpose. We got into this game because it was a light fun relaxing activity we could do together or alone. And for years, that is what it has been. Recently though, that has been changing more and more -- and for us it is a loss, and a disappointment.
I certainly respect your position on this. I don't wish to challenge your personal view of the game, especially in regard to your view point on parenting. However, the computer guy in me feels a bit slighted by the post. I don't know if I'm reading it the wrong way, but from the tone it seems that you are really looking down at the educational opportunities this game provides. I apologize in advance if I'm taking this the wrong way, but I feel like I need to stand up a bit for the things I have personally used this game to teach.

From a mathematics standpoint alone, this game is worthy. If playing it with kids and participating in the forums here has taught me anything, it is that the populace at large is ridiculously poor at basic math skills and concepts. The exercise in understanding probability, statistics, and simple multiplication with multiple polynomials alone has helped my kids with math grades. While I agree it isn't chess, there are multiple opportunities for real strategy, particularly since I don't allow this:

"Now it is still not a high-strategy game, it is just a longer slog of a game, with some stopping points that require both a lot more time, and also money or friends to get through."

While swarming is certainly a valid strategy (and historically a very common military tactic), eliminating it as an option immediately increases the need for more basic mastery of basic tactics. I realize as I write this that I'm being somewhat defensive and that is likely because of the amount of time I have invested in playing the game and posting on these forums. It could also stem from the fact that I have already been through the "pay to win" concept with my son and turned it into a "teachable moment" such that he no longer feels the need to shortcut the game with money.

With my need for defensiveness sated, I'm going to go ahead and end this post. I do hope I haven't offended you with it as that isn't my intention.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
gtarhannon on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
I certainly respect your position on this. I don't wish to challenge your personal view of the game, especially in regard to your view point on parenting. However, the computer guy in me feels a bit slighted by the post. I don't know if I'm reading it the wrong way, but from the tone it seems that you are really looking down at the educational opportunities this game provides. I apologize in advance if I'm taking this the wrong way, but I feel like I need to stand up a bit for the things I have personally used this game to teach.

From a mathematics standpoint alone, this game is worthy. If playing it with kids and participating in the forums here has taught me anything, it is that the populace at large is ridiculously poor at basic math skills and concepts. The exercise in understanding probability, statistics, and simple multiplication with multiple polynomials alone has helped my kids with math grades. While I agree it isn't chess, there are multiple opportunities for real strategy, particularly since I don't allow this:

"Now it is still not a high-strategy game, it is just a longer slog of a game, with some stopping points that require both a lot more time, and also money or friends to get through."

While swarming is certainly a valid strategy (and historically a very common military tactic), eliminating it as an option immediately increases the need for more basic mastery of basic tactics. I realize as I write this that I'm being somewhat defensive and that is likely because of the amount of time I have invested in playing the game and posting on these forums. It could also stem from the fact that I have already been through the "pay to win" concept with my son and turned it into a "teachable moment" such that he no longer feels the need to shortcut the game with money.

With my need for defensiveness sated, I'm going to go ahead and end this post. I do hope I haven't offended you with it as that isn't my intention.
No offense taken whatsoever. I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I hope I too have not offended you.

Kudos to you for finding "teachable moments" -- they can be found anywhere, it is true. But for me, this is not where I want to invest that effort. That just is not what we play the game for. We really are casual gamers here, and that is all we want to be here. We came to Wizard101 for light fun, magic, and delight.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
No offense taken whatsoever. I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I hope I too have not offended you.

Kudos to you for finding "teachable moments" -- they can be found anywhere, it is true. But for me, this is not where I want to invest that effort. That just is not what we play the game for. We really are casual gamers here, and that is all we want to be here. We came to Wizard101 for light fun, magic, and delight.
Nope, no offense taken at all. I completely understand where you're coming from. :)

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
The point is, nothing is "brutally difficult" in wizard101. You don't need 20 different sets, you need a few different pieces though. And the research I referred to is exactly what you say you already do. Just take 30 seconds to look up the boss on wizard101central and see if/what cheats he has. We aren't talking about a major effort. We're talking about basics. KI does strike a very good balance in my opinion. Yes Seethe. In your opinion. Which I respect. Up to the point where you refuse to respect mine, or others. Then I have a problem. You've turned shouting down anyone who doesn't share your opinion into an art form, not just on this thread but on many others. You are also condescending. In the future I shall ignore your opinion, as you continue to ignore mine. Just as you continue to ignore or dismiss others opinions, and consider yours to be paramount. KingsIsle will decide who is right. Peace. Have fun big time gamer.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
seethe42 on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
I disagree. It gets easier as you level up. Celestia is really the hardest point in the game for soloing. After Celestia solo play gets easier and easier as gear improves a lot. Also the new team up and dungeon recall features make it a lot easier. The recall is especially useful for solo players with multi-minion bosses. Just kill a minion without dying, if you die you recall and you have no minion.
I disagree. It gets harder. Id rather fight a 5,000 boss in dragonspyre than have to solo a 27,000 with 3 minions all with 3,600

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
Jack The Ice Guy on Apr 25, 2014 wrote:
I disagree. It gets harder. Id rather fight a 5,000 boss in dragonspyre than have to solo a 27,000 with 3 minions all with 3,600
Right? I did the three fourteen k storm bosses by myself, and if it wasn't for being death and wearing the crafted boots, I would be closer to death than before.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2011
Really, the hardest part for me is trying trying to fight a magic boss due to 2 things:
1. I am a Thurge, meaning my attacks stink against it.
2. They heal. That's annoying.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I would agree with you if I was a level 40 wizard in dragonspyre facing that 27k boss with 3 minions, but that's NOT how it is. Facing that at level 95 is nothing difficult. Comparing Dragonspyre difficulty to Khrysalis is laughable. A level 95 in DS can kill pretty much anything in 2-3 rounds. The challenge in Khrysalis is pretty much the same or easier and when we were level 40's in DS compared to power available.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I can understand this thought process. Because, honestly, given the choice, so would I.

So far, my grind to level 100 has been just that: grinding. Endless monotony. Just because I *can* solo a 4-on-1 boss battle in Khrysalis doesn't mean that I *want* to.

-von