Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Most useless spell.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Right off the bat I'd say most if not all of the Minions, except the Balance Mander Minion, Balance Nerys and the initial Myth Minions are OK, just not great. I'd have to say my overall most useless spell is Taunt. I've yet to see it be any kind of a factor in any battle, even when enemies use it.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
valdushawkflame on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
Right off the bat I'd say most if not all of the Minions, except the Balance Mander Minion, Balance Nerys and the initial Myth Minions are OK, just not great. I'd have to say my overall most useless spell is Taunt. I've yet to see it be any kind of a factor in any battle, even when enemies use it.
Taunt does work when cast by those minions you dislike or a wizard with a lot of health/shields up; it draws attention to who/whatever cast the spell and away from you.

Most useless spell is the Power Play because it not only gives you an increased chance of power pips, but the mobs/boss as well.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
There are a few minion spells that are useful, especially at lower levels, but in general most of them are not worth the pips used to cast them. As for taunt...I have actually used that spell on my ice wizard when playing in a group.

I believe each school has at least one worthless spell besides the reduce/increase threat spells (which I have never used)

Fire: immolate and fire elemental.
Balance: Power Play, elemental defuse, and spirit defuse.
Storm: insane bolt and disarm.
Life: in my opinion, the only spells of this school I find useless is the reduce/increase threat spells.
Ice: ice armor and snow drift. The only time I have used snowdrift was when fighting Hades.
Myth: dimension shift.
Death: outside of PvP, doom and gloom, infection, and mass infection are useless. I also have never found the need to use empower. I have also never used animate.

I am sure there are other spells that many beeline to be useless, but those are the only ones I could think of at this time.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Enemies can cast taunt, but the reality of the spell makes it useless for them. Taunt and Pacify (both pretty much a waste of pips) only work against the game AI. They both work as intended, they just really serve no real use. Taunt when used by a player will increase that player's target risk status, making the AI enemy more likely to attack that player and leave others alone. Pacify just increases the chances that an enemy will pass. With real players, we decide who to attack and when, so taunt and pacify CANNOT work for enemies or in PvP.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I forgot about Power Play. Lol, talk about aiding and abetting the enemy.

Explorer
Oct 23, 2011
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Alex watersinger on Mar 4, 2014 wrote:
I think its Dark Pact
Dark Pact is an extremely useful spell. Especially when used by non-Death wizards. Say you're fighting a boss that uses a lot of different weakness and plague, like Loremaster. Pull out a Dark Pact TC and for one pip you have cleared your weakness/plague/virulent plague AND added a +30 blade all without wasting any blades or traps. Very useful in some pvp situations too.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Comment made from the PvE side of things:

All first generation minions (they're helpful to a point, but that ends quickly)

Beguile

Stun in any form (this spell CAN work, but after a certain point, 90%+ of monsters are immune to it)

Doom and Gloom (we heal MUCH more often than monsters do, so this one effectively hurts the wizard only)

Detonate (it's an extremely specific use spell that doesnt have a need for many situations. If you could cast it as a trap that would trigger when a DoT was cast after, or a precast spell like the Astral Spells it would be a whole lot more useful)

I'm sure I'll come up with others

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Hannah Lifebringer on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
There are a few minion spells that are useful, especially at lower levels, but in general most of them are not worth the pips used to cast them. As for taunt...I have actually used that spell on my ice wizard when playing in a group.

I believe each school has at least one worthless spell besides the reduce/increase threat spells (which I have never used)

Fire: immolate and fire elemental.
Balance: Power Play, elemental defuse, and spirit defuse.
Storm: insane bolt and disarm.
Life: in my opinion, the only spells of this school I find useless is the reduce/increase threat spells.
Ice: ice armor and snow drift. The only time I have used snowdrift was when fighting Hades.
Myth: dimension shift.
Death: outside of PvP, doom and gloom, infection, and mass infection are useless. I also have never found the need to use empower. I have also never used animate.

I am sure there are other spells that many beeline to be useless, but those are the only ones I could think of at this time.
I would agree on some, not so much on others. I'll say off the bat, minions for all schools but myth are pretty much a waste of pips.

Fire: Detonate (mainly because the pip cost) Immolate is actually very powerful for a low level spell, especially used in conjunction with a fire shield.

Balance: I agree Power Play is kind of a waste and for the most part all difuse spells are a waste of pips unless disabling a specific cheat. The elemental and spirit versions might have some use in PvP but the cost and usefullness in PvE make them useless.

Storm: For PvE, Enfeeble, Disarm and Insane Bolt are totally a waste of deck space, but they all have their place in PvP for Storm.

Life: Minor Blessing and Spirit Armor.

Ice: Ice Armor and Frozen Armor. Snow Drift could be useful in PvP but I agree Hades is the only place in PvE it is.

Myth: Dimension Shift but only because it's pip cost.

Death: Mass Infection, outside PvP and Doom and Gloom, even in PvP (unless you happen to be 1v1 against a Life and you don't have a healing pet).

Moon School: Pretty much all. There's a few instances that the Ice and Life polys might have a use, but they are too few and far between to bother learning.

Sun and Star: All spells have a good use, though I find most Star spells to just waste deck space.

Historian
May 06, 2009
seethe42 on Mar 4, 2014 wrote:
I would agree on some, not so much on others. I'll say off the bat, minions for all schools but myth are pretty much a waste of pips.

Fire: Detonate (mainly because the pip cost) Immolate is actually very powerful for a low level spell, especially used in conjunction with a fire shield.

Balance: I agree Power Play is kind of a waste and for the most part all difuse spells are a waste of pips unless disabling a specific cheat. The elemental and spirit versions might have some use in PvP but the cost and usefullness in PvE make them useless.

Storm: For PvE, Enfeeble, Disarm and Insane Bolt are totally a waste of deck space, but they all have their place in PvP for Storm.

Life: Minor Blessing and Spirit Armor.

Ice: Ice Armor and Frozen Armor. Snow Drift could be useful in PvP but I agree Hades is the only place in PvE it is.

Myth: Dimension Shift but only because it's pip cost.

Death: Mass Infection, outside PvP and Doom and Gloom, even in PvP (unless you happen to be 1v1 against a Life and you don't have a healing pet).

Moon School: Pretty much all. There's a few instances that the Ice and Life polys might have a use, but they are too few and far between to bother learning.

Sun and Star: All spells have a good use, though I find most Star spells to just waste deck space.
I wouldn't say the Moon School spells are useless. Moon spells are designed for Group play and, from the looks of many commentors, more players are Soloing than Group playing which takes a big hit against Moon. Also even in Group play, players are 99% more likely to be comfortable with the school, stats, and deck setup than transform into another creature. Then you have Mastery and Exalted Amulets that do a more effiecent job of using other school spells than what the Moon School provides. Also now we're coming out with Team Up! which is bound to be another punch to the gut for Moon.

I use Moon spells pretty actively if I'm ever called to help with a dungeon with a group. That's pretty much where they shine. I really like the Life Polymorphs the most during battles as I tend to act as healer for battles more often than naught. But I they don't see a lot of battles because, I think, Group play isn't seen as much as Solo play and because people just prefer staying they're school.

I don't think the school is useless, just unpopular.

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
doom and gloom, power play and minor blessing (into the high levels yes but the lower ones no)

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
If the minions fire elemental, storm elemental, and ice gaurdian are useless, then spectral minion is doubly so. Firstly, you don't even know what you'll get when you cast the spell, as you get one of the three at random. And, just to make it more useless, balance has to spend 4 points instead of the 3 the other schools get these minions for. Yeesh.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Most useless spells:
(in order, by my wizards' levels)

Balance: power play. Never seen a more ridiculous waste of 4 pips in the history of ever. Like, I could understand if it boosted power pips for my team only, but the fact that it helps the enemy is just lamesauce.

Death: mass infection, or infection, period. Unless you pvp, it has no use at all.

Storm: healing current. Nothing like casting one of these and having it hit 100 when you're about to die; total waste of 3 pips, do not use if your health is less than half. For reliable healing, use the pixie you got in unicorn way.

Life: cycle of life. It's the exact same thing as mend, but with an increase to incoming death damage, whoever thought this was a good idea should be thrown into the doghouse and eaten by my Forest Lord, Chewy.

The rest of my wizards (myth, ice, and fire) are under level 50, so will have to wait and see what happens then.

-von

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Mar 4, 2014 wrote:
Dark Pact is an extremely useful spell. Especially when used by non-Death wizards. Say you're fighting a boss that uses a lot of different weakness and plague, like Loremaster. Pull out a Dark Pact TC and for one pip you have cleared your weakness/plague/virulent plague AND added a +30 blade all without wasting any blades or traps. Very useful in some pvp situations too.
couldnt agree more about the Loremaster situation

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
Moon Spells
for example Polymorph Draconian:
I'ts only for like 5 rounds sometimes lowers your health ( my health is around 4,000 if I used polymorph draconian it would be at 2,500) no resist and boost to ice and storm and you also have like 6 spells.

Bailey Waterrider level 81

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Regarding Power Play I remember when I was a newbie my Mander Minion had 4 pips and cast Power Play on himself. That was an eye roller to say the least. I think I quit using minions shortly after that.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
I regard the mander minion as quite useful -- in the right situation. The toughest fights for balance are against bosses with 80% (or higher) balance resist. Mander minion is awesome in these fights. He feeds you a stream of extra balance blades and power pips, as well as elemental shields, which are great because balance bosses often throw spectral blast or hydra on you.

In normal fights, helpful mander is a bloody nuisance because he throws weak balance attacks that burn your traps. Against balance bosses, you simply don't use balance traps. You want to load up on spectral blast and hydra, which do damage the boss doesn't have 80% resist to. You can support those with elemental trap and mander minion won't burn them because he only throws balance attacks. Heck, the helpful guy will even throw an elemental trap for you once in a while. So you spam attacks, blades, and occasional healing while the mander supports you with spell after spell. His balance attacks do hardly any damage, but so what, they don't hurt anything, and occasionally burn a tower shield.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
valdushawkflame on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
Regarding Power Play I remember when I was a newbie my Mander Minion had 4 pips and cast Power Play on himself. That was an eye roller to say the least. I think I quit using minions shortly after that.
Do you mean Donate Power? Because powerplay is the global field that gives all players extra power pip percentage. One can't cast power play on oneself or on an individual.

I'd agree with Powerplay/ Dimensional Shift most useless spells in game.

Donate Power used appropriately I don't think is useless, but with your minon playing it for himself, then yes lol

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
valdushawkflame on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
The most useless and worst spell idea in the history of wizard101 is detonate. I don't think I have ever seen that poor excuse for a spell used by anyone. KI should really boost it or something. I don't even think KI pays attention to how much people cast the spell or whether or not they cast it themselves (wouldn't be surprised if they didn't).

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
RavenLady777 on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
Taunt does work when cast by those minions you dislike or a wizard with a lot of health/shields up; it draws attention to who/whatever cast the spell and away from you.

Most useless spell is the Power Play because it not only gives you an increased chance of power pips, but the mobs/boss as well.
Power play isn't that bad (I'm a Magus Sorcerer so I still need the power pip chance), but Elemential and Spiritual diffuse are honestly the worst spells I have ever encountered. Who in their right mind will fork over 5 pips just to dispell one spell?

I wouldn't.

I just remembered! I also don't like Doom and Gloom. Not only is it depleting the enemy of the ability to heal fully, you're also going to suffer because you'll also lose the ability to heal 100%.

Melissa Smith
Magus Sorcerer
Honorary Engineer

Survivor
May 18, 2011
Despite not being a Death wizard, I have to say the most useless spell is Doom and Gloom. I mean, why would you want to cast a spell that reduces healing percentage? If you are working together in a group to take down a big boss, Doom and Gloom is an especially bad move.

Kymma Anvilheart: of the Falling Sky

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
doom and gloom has tons of use. I deleted my death a while ago. but at the time I had it, she was a maxed out grandmaster, so quite a long time ago. doom and gloom lowers everybodies healing, but death can heal without actually healing, the steal health spells still return 50% health back to you, like they're supposed to. only spell I wouldn't reccomend using is sacrifice, but that is just one spell.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
So far I can say without a doubt that powerplay is the most useless infact it's almost sacrificial seeing as your helping the enemy....it has it's upsides though...I guess.