Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Minions and Shields in PvP

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Has anyone noticed the trend of no Minion and no shields at Higher levels.
At level 85 to 95, I have not seen one person, use a Minion. It's like PvP is
so fast now, there is no use for one. Talos is just about a one hit kill now,
almost no reason to use him. Plus, lately, I see many players are not even
using shields, maybe because of the new Dark spells, not sure.

Anyway, PvP has really changed since the level cap has increased to
95. The person going second, if setup correctly, has a much better chance
of winning, imo. That really includes Fire, I see them as a top contender again.

Death too seems to be making a comeback, with Dark Magic.

PVP is so fast paced now, I am starting to wonder if Cloak is even worth using.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Veracity8 on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:

of winning, imo. That really includes Fire, I see them as a top contender again.

The top pvp schools now are probably storm, balance, and fire. Storm and fire can be great critical spammers and balance is very deadly with loremaster, savage paw, supernova, and mana burn. Yes it is true that shields aren't used as much and minions are practically extinct at max lvl pvp because there is almost no use for them anymore.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
A good observation. This is why I say the is kinda pointless now. If you could get a little myth punch on another wizard there would NEVER be a purpose to create a conjurer. I love attacks and my conjurer, but she's about to get the boot so I can have all the other schools. I'm tired of playing frog and earthquake all the time. Those animations are very overplayed and I think it's the weakest schools in terms of group fighting, hands down. In 1v1 I understand they shine, I agree. But so does and even and too if you're good. I've seen some excellent 1v1 players. And a or that have fully embraced there school and know what they're doing can be very difficult to go against. So the argument is a 1v1 school is a lame excuse. minions are outdated and functionless lots of times.

Moral of the story: easily the weakest school in terms of groups.

Make a better group school. AOE please.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I still find use for at least one minion... the golem minion. This little 0 pip wonder attacks every round which serves to constantly break tower shields and if you are lucky a specific shield also. Any move to kill this minion is a free move for you and if they use any attack spell besides a wand or aoe you are winning the pip war.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Veracity8 on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:

PvP is fast paced, my best high-level character (ice 91) is a Commander and got to Captain through 1v1. The whole time I used a slow-paced strategy. I would use minions whenever it was convenient. Start punching through their health with frostbite until I find a bigger hit then slam them against the wall with a Mammoth or Lord of Winter. Considering they don't have much resist, one ice blade turns a mammoth into a crushing 1700 damage hit. Especially because I fight Hades, and I DO block most of the time. Which I'm sure bugs them to no end, but I can block and still critical on them because they have NO block. I only have 244 critical but most of my criticals go through Hades gear. Also, just a general tip, never take minion out of your deck. Most of the storms I fought used tempest to kill minions, effectively using up 6 pips that they had on a minion kill. (not all will do this but its a helpful tip) If you try to play a slow paced game with a control deck, you need to practice it. Practice in this time is critical for a player using a control deck. It IS still possible, but you need to have the right stats.

Also, Death making a comeback isn't anything awful

Hope I helped,
Wolf Skullslinger