Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance School Combinations

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 15, 2008
So, recently I've picked up Wizard101 again as a hobby. I'm currently at level 22, and I've been trying to pick a secondary school. Well, I decided to go with fire. My reasons? I'm extremely sick of never being able to effectively solo in boss battles. I used to be able to, but once I got up to the higher levels, things got a lot more difficult. I have a friend who's a Balance/storm wizard. He's a great player, but he fizzles a lot. His Kraken fails him at the most needed times. So, I went with Fire.

Fire has a moderate accuracy rate that can be improved with Precision. Fire also has a much needed area of effect attack, and with a balance blade, it's a killer. Also, because Fire's primary strength is Damage over Time, it works very well with the Balance strategy. I personally play my cards like so -

If I have a Fire Elf, use it.
Shield until I build pips.
Trap and blade things
Build more pips
Sandstorm, Meteor, or Sun bird everything.

If I'm facing more than one enemy, I summon a Mander Minion or a Death Minion that I get from my pet.

That's just how I play things right now. I'm actually really enjoying Fire right now, and I'm not seeing any drawbacks in playing the way I do. Is there anything I should be worried about in the future?

Personally, I think that Fire's DoT and Balance's buffs work really well together!

Reasons I didn't pick other schools:
I don't find myself needing to heal very often because I have so many shields to protect me.
Stealing health really didn't fit my play style. I'd have to save my pips to do any real damage with death, and I can't always do that with the enemy at full health.
It was a really hard decision because I so badly want minions for some extra support while I'm soloing, but I looked it up. It turns out I don't get all of the minions that I want. I get a bunch of Myth attacks. I'm considering training up to Earthquake though.
The lack of accuracy really put me off. Even with a precision, most of the attacks would still be less accurate then my least accurate attacks. Sometimes I really need something to not fizzle, and Storm fizzles too much (I first started with Storm and decided against it).
I really liked the idea of defense to help me out, but Balance is already defensive as it is. I don't need any more defense to help me out. I really need some attack power for my blades and traps. I'll probably still train up to tower because that would help my defense.
The only reason I would think of not picking this is because it still has low accuracy. Sometimes, it fails to do exactly the damage I need, but it gets the job done with a blade.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there anything you think I should do? What's your favorite combo for Balance wizards (Please include reasons). Any advice would be great! Thanks! Also, does anybody know if there are other places to get fire spells besides Falmea? Much appreciated!

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
TheMusician00 on Feb 12, 2014 wrote:
So, recently I've picked up Wizard101 again as a hobby. I'm currently at level 22, and I've been trying to pick a secondary school. Well, I decided to go with fire. My reasons? I'm extremely sick of never being able to effectively solo in boss battles. I used to be able to, but once I got up to the higher levels, things got a lot more difficult. I have a friend who's a Balance/storm wizard. He's a great player, but he fizzles a lot. His Kraken fails him at the most needed times. So, I went with Fire.

Fire has a moderate accuracy rate that can be improved with Precision. Fire also has a much needed area of effect attack, and with a balance blade, it's a killer. Also, because Fire's primary strength is Damage over Time, it works very well with the Balance strategy. I personally play my cards like so -

If I have a Fire Elf, use it.
Shield until I build pips.
Trap and blade things
Build more pips
Sandstorm, Meteor, or Sun bird everything.

If I'm facing more than one enemy, I summon a Mander Minion or a Death Minion that I get from my pet.

That's just how I play things right now. I'm actually really enjoying Fire right now, and I'm not seeing any drawbacks in playing the way I do. Is there anything I should be worried about in the future?

Personally, I think that Fire's DoT and Balance's buffs work really well together!

Reasons I didn't pick other schools:
I don't find myself needing to heal very often because I have so many shields to protect me.
Stealing health really didn't fit my play style. I'd have to save my pips to do any real damage with death, and I can't always do that with the enemy at full health.
It was a really hard decision because I so badly want minions for some extra support while I'm soloing, but I looked it up. It turns out I don't get all of the minions that I want. I get a bunch of Myth attacks. I'm considering training up to Earthquake though.
The lack of accuracy really put me off. Even with a precision, most of the attacks would still be less accurate then my least accurate attacks. Sometimes I really need something to not fizzle, and Storm fizzles too much (I first started with Storm and decided against it).
I really liked the idea of defense to help me out, but Balance is already defensive as it is. I don't need any more defense to help me out. I really need some attack power for my blades and traps. I'll probably still train up to tower because that would help my defense.
The only reason I would think of not picking this is because it still has low accuracy. Sometimes, it fails to do exactly the damage I need, but it gets the job done with a blade.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there anything you think I should do? What's your favorite combo for Balance wizards (Please include reasons). Any advice would be great! Thanks! Also, does anybody know if there are other places to get fire spells besides Falmea? Much appreciated!
For pvp, fire is generally not a good secondary school unless you have arena gear and a fire mastery amulet. Personally, when I did pvp on my balance at magus, I did use fire elf to remove shields at first. This kind of worked, and got me to about 1300 rank. I could judgement after the fire elf removed all of the shields, and stack a few blades so the fire elf would not remove all of them. However, after a while, opponents began shielding when they knew I was going to attack. I was too predictable, so I switched to a basilisk and minotaur strategy. I found that this worked much better. If I needed tons of damage, I could use a basilisk into minotaur/judgement combo. If the opponent did not shield, I could medusa or chimera. Personally, I don't find fire to be the best secondary school, as many of its best spells are not trained, and many of its advantages lie in stats. I have seen guides on sites such as Duelist101 that make good use of fire mastery amulets, but I personally don't recommend it. Generally, in pvp, you don't want to get a secondary school just because of damage. Secondary schools will not be boosted by your gear, and will not be as efficient as just using spells of your school. They will also not be affected by power pips, which is a huge disadvantage. (Unless you have arena gear, gear that gives no damage, or a fire mastery amulet, of course.) Personally, I'd recommend getting ice to tower and myth to minotaur at level 35. At your level, I'd just recommend getting tower shield, then maybe infection and a few myth spells.