Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fossils

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
What is the purpose of making fossils and stone blocks so rare? There must be hundreds if not thousands of people farming these things because every time I try to buy one at the Bazaar it says I'm too late. In the 1.5 seconds that it takes me to click on it, it's already gone.

We need 64 of these things to make the conga drums for the legendary quest. I'm the type of person who always picks up reagents on the way to a quest, and I have nowhere near enough fossils or stone blocks. I spent one whole morning farming and got less than half of what I needed.

Maybe increase the volume of these reagents by 10-20%? We can't profit from any excess we farm anyway because the Bazaar sets the sell price artificially low.

I'd just abandon crafting since I'm not that interested in it anyway, but I've read several posts that say you NEED the crafted gear to solo the tougher bosses in Azteca, and I'm really, really tired of getting defeated by them.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
keep reloading the reagent screen over and over, you will get them, it tales patience. the is an are in Stone Town that has the stone blocks in various locations. farm them there.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
windrunner585 on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
What is the purpose of making fossils and stone blocks so rare? There must be hundreds if not thousands of people farming these things because every time I try to buy one at the Bazaar it says I'm too late. In the 1.5 seconds that it takes me to click on it, it's already gone.

We need 64 of these things to make the conga drums for the legendary quest. I'm the type of person who always picks up reagents on the way to a quest, and I have nowhere near enough fossils or stone blocks. I spent one whole morning farming and got less than half of what I needed.

Maybe increase the volume of these reagents by 10-20%? We can't profit from any excess we farm anyway because the Bazaar sets the sell price artificially low.

I'd just abandon crafting since I'm not that interested in it anyway, but I've read several posts that say you NEED the crafted gear to solo the tougher bosses in Azteca, and I'm really, really tired of getting defeated by them.
Stone blocks are not rare at all and can be found all over the spiral especially in Krok.
You can always buy a transmute recipe for fossils.
Crafting isn't about going to the bazaar and trying to buy every single thing and is meant to be a challenge.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Funny too, in that stone and fossils are common in the real world.

I agree, I think the 1 in 10 drop rate for fossils from stone blocks is too low, especially since so many crafting recipes require them. In fact, just about everything I want to craft right now (Mannequins, Rugs, etc), require large numbers of fossils, so that crafting items is agonizingly slow frustrating.

Here's hoping for a better source,

Iridian ShadowWeaver

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Stone blocks aren't hard to find. If you make a circuit and realm hop you can get dozens to hundreds rather quickly. Fossils agreed, annoying to get a bazaar as they are never there, but easy to transmute.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
There are always a lot of stone blocks in Kt. And I have also noticed a lot in Azteca, all you have to do is run around and you will find them no problem. Sometimes you'll even get a fossil from stone blocks or multiple stone blocks from one pick up!

Defender
Dec 08, 2012
Well, what I CAN do for you is tell you a PERFECT location to farm Stone block from. That location is Dragonspyre Academy in Dragonspyre. In that area alone, there is 4 different spots in which Stone Block will show up. I know that Legendary Artisan quest is a real pain to get pass with all those Fossils that you need but I was able to get pass it. Although 64 fossil would equal 960 Stone Block, I would consider you to go back and forth from harvesting Stone Block in Dragonspyre Academy to stalking the Bazaar for Fossil. The Transcendent Crafter badge doesn't require Fossil so be glad of that (but it DOES require the Potent Trap TC which you can get from Cronus, Gladiator, Squid, and Hades in Aquila). So hopefully you can get pass the Legendary Artisan quest (if you want to) and move onto the Transcendent Crafter quest

Hunter WaterSmith Level 95 Transcendent Crafter (I'm hoping that they make a new level in crafting since I absolutely LOVE to craft)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010

The trick to crafting is to learn where a decent amount of the reagent you need spawn. Such as Stone Block, I collect that around the Library in DragonSprye, 2 by the Library. Once you find a spot you realm switch to collect every 60 secs.

For items not easily collected I turn to transmutes which need a card crafting table to use.

Altho I have crafted higher gear here and there I usually stick with just the level 56 helmet and robe in Wintertusk to craft and I only had to complete the Seal of the Seven Seas for that. I use my Life wizard to craft all gear and share bank it to my other wizards.

For some of us, I agree with you, crafting does loose it appeal and it does require you to take time out from regular game play so for those who don't have a lot it can become a choice of if or if not to do. It would be interesting to see if a wizard can make it though the game, mainly solo, with only in game gear, Bazaar and dropped with out farming, crafting or buying with crowns. From what I see in the game there are a lot of wizards out there trying to.

Mary

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
Delver
Jun 17, 2011

(sorry if this has already been said) get the transmute fossil recipe from Balthazar Dragonthorn (dragonspyre crafter), Avery Templeton (celestia transmute reagent vendor found in base camp), and Kimba Kalla (celestia tc recipe and transmute recipes vendor fond in the floating land).

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
prairiefalcon on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
There's also gardening: Fickle Pickles drop fossils.
Fickle Pickles are the best way to collect Fossils, I agree.

Rare collects from Blocks aren't frequent enough and I always run into other people realm-farming them, which is awkward. And I'm a pretty fast hand at bazaar with most things, but my snag rate with fossils is low, only about 1 in 4. (Actually, stone Blocks are a better deal in bazaar, and easier to buy up since people tend to sell them in bulk.)