Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

why do I fizzle at 100%

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello KI,

I have three wizard, and I am very familiar with accuracy. I want to know, why do I fizzle if my accuracy is at 100 %?
I have seen this over a dozen times. I add my accuracy to the spell's accuracy and I fizzle??
Here are some examples:
My Storm wizard has an accuracy rating of 31% I would cast one of my storm spells that have 70%
the total comes to 101% right?? Why do I fizzle. And no, I did not have any negative accuracy charms on me, like smoke screen, black mantle, etc...
I see this much more with my fire wizard at level 20. I would get the accuracy elixir for 15% and a fire elixir for another 15% after I had enough pips to cast firezilla, Which is 70%, with the total accuracy at 100% I would fizzle? I notice this happens much more when you reach level 12. I do have a theory, I think that KI wants us to pay more attention to our accuracy as we go up in levels. So it is slightly lowered to give us a hint/nudge? To make us pay attention to it? IDK. I do know this does happen. So please shed some light on this. Thank You,

Mark Dragonleaf L60 Storm
Mark Dawndust L60 Balance
Mark Shadowleaf L20 fire

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
stormkraker on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Hello KI,

I have three wizard, and I am very familiar with accuracy. I want to know, why do I fizzle if my accuracy is at 100 %?
I have seen this over a dozen times. I add my accuracy to the spell's accuracy and I fizzle??
Here are some examples:
My Storm wizard has an accuracy rating of 31% I would cast one of my storm spells that have 70%
the total comes to 101% right?? Why do I fizzle. And no, I did not have any negative accuracy charms on me, like smoke screen, black mantle, etc...
I see this much more with my fire wizard at level 20. I would get the accuracy elixir for 15% and a fire elixir for another 15% after I had enough pips to cast firezilla, Which is 70%, with the total accuracy at 100% I would fizzle? I notice this happens much more when you reach level 12. I do have a theory, I think that KI wants us to pay more attention to our accuracy as we go up in levels. So it is slightly lowered to give us a hint/nudge? To make us pay attention to it? IDK. I do know this does happen. So please shed some light on this. Thank You,

Mark Shadowleaf L20 fire
Please move this to Halston's Laboratory. This has nothing to do with pets.

Anyway, I have no idea how you are fizzling.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I believe that no matter how high your accuracy, it will never be above 99% in the game. So 100% accuracy is not really 100%. Not sure where I learned that but I had the same issue once upon a time. Maybe I got the info from Wizard Central.

Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
I dunno what your problem is about because my accuracy is at 105% (I'm life) and I have never fizzled once.

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello KI,

I have three wizard, and I am very familiar with accuracy. I want to know, why do I fizzle if my accuracy is at or over 100% ?
I have seen this about a dozen times. I add my accuracy to the spell's accuracy and I fizzle??
Here are some examples:
I see this much more with my fire wizard at level 20. I would get the accuracy elixir for 15% and a fire elixir for another 15% after I had enough pips to cast firezilla, Which is 70%, with the total accuracy at 100% I would fizzle? I notice this happens much more when you reach level 12. I do have a theory, I think that KI wants us to pay more attention to our accuracy as we go up in levels. So it is slightly lowered to give us a hint/nudge? To make us pay attention to it? IDK. I do know this does happen. So please shed some light on this. I also just read that accuracy never reaches 100%, it is at 99% max. Thank You,

Mark Shadowleaf L20 fire

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
KI made it so you can always fizzle. You have a 99.9% of not fizzling, and a 0.1% chance of doing so.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
I have never noticed this, but if what you say is true, then maybe accuracy is not added but multiplied. So for example the 30 or 31% in your examples is multiplied by the card accuracy and then added (i.e. 70% * 30% = 21% then 70% + 21% = 91%) . In this case you still have a 9% or about 1/10 chance of getting a fizz. In this scenario it is possible to exceed 100% but you need more boosts (i.e. +50% on a 70% card would give 105%). It could also be a boost in how much chance of getting a fizz is removed (i.e. 70% leaves 30% left so remove 30% * 30% or 9% from the fizz chance leaving an accuracy of 79%), but it doesn't seem likely that is the case. however if it is the case then you couldn't ever get over 100%.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
Thats interesting. Its never happened with me, but maybe the game is programmed so there's always a chance of a fizzle. To me, when I have like 90% accuracy its feels only like 50%. Could it maybe just be the game?

-Rachel SilverBlossom

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
stormkraker on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Hello KI,

Here are some examples:

Mark Shadowleaf L20 fire
It's KI math... You may have 100% accuracy, but KI math only ever reaches 99.99999%; therefore, there is always a chance that you will fizzle, no matter what your accuracy is.

My storm wizard has 101% accuracy and has not fizzled since level 50 . Most times, she is even successful when accuracy debuffs like black mantle or smokescreen are in play. But, if it makes you feel better, my balance wizard is a whole other story... she has 92% accuracy and, ever since the release of Khrysalis, still fizzles consecutively, sometimes 4 or 5 times back to back.

I wish they would fix this, so that 100 is 100%, end of.

-von
promethean something or other

Survivor
Jul 04, 2013
maybe one reason you fizzle at 100% is because you probably have an auto fizzle like quench or dissapate. that's just my guess. but maybe why a spell fizzles is because there is a better card on top of your deck, but that doesn't happen all the time. like me for example, i was in combat and went to use sunbird, it fizzled, and the next card was firezilla.

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
has anyone thought that maybe it doesn't add the percentage, but takes the percent of the card accuracy percent, like storm spells are 70% and your 31% boost is actually 31% of 70%. but I don't know for sure

I don't know how KI does there formulas and stuff but it still a thought.

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
blue fire elf on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
maybe one reason you fizzle at 100% is because you probably have an auto fizzle like quench or dissapate. that's just my guess. but maybe why a spell fizzles is because there is a better card on top of your deck, but that doesn't happen all the time. like me for example, i was in combat and went to use sunbird, it fizzled, and the next card was firezilla.
Ok, thank you for your effort in your answer. But I clearly stated that I DID not have ANY negative accuracy spells on me. No I did not have any spells on me at the time. I think The other answers that I have been reading makes sense. The theory that we never reach 100 percent. And as far as your sunbird fizzling leading to your firezilla, it would have lead to it no matter what. There is no program algorithm that makes your lower spell fizzle for a better one. I am stating this from experience, That I can guarantee. Thank You.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
This has happened to me, maybe once, I think. I'm pretty sure that there is always a chance of fizzle, no matter how many accuracy shields you have on you. I know some bosses cheat, so they could remove your accuracy no matter if you do have Elixir, or spells for it or not.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Too many people experience this kind of fizzling as an unexpected and bad surprise. Either the accuracy system should be revised, or Diego should mention in a tutorial somewhere that fizzles are always possible.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
eh, My death wizard had 101% accuracy in death spells for quite a while. From that point onward I have never fizzled without a negative accuracy or null spell on my character. Currently my death accuracy is even higher. Again, I have not fizzled for months. Maybe you just need to get over 100%?

I will tell you that there is an algorithm that counts the number of consecutive fizzles. You should never have more than three fizzles in a row. I do mean casting attack spells back to back, without passing or casting another type of spell in between, no blades, wand spells, or healing, ect. There is a thread in the forums somewhere that quotes a developer on that. However the post is more than a year old, I don't know if it still exists. Try searching for it if you care.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Blah, I replied to your other thread, in the commons. The moment I reached 101% accuracy I stopped fizzling in death. It has been months since I have fizzled without having a negative accuracy or null charm applied to my character. My Death accuracy is currently even higher now. Try go get over 100% and see what happens. I would hate to think that elemental schools have an inherent fizzle in their spells.

I also have over 100% in power pip chance, I have never generated a normal pip since.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
It doesnt matter how much accuracy you have everyone fizzles......it happens to every wizard My accuracy on my level 94 is 7% and i barely fizzle I have had times when i have fizzled back to back it is gets very annoying but i dont fizzle much at all. Everyone fizzles atleast once during their wizard life..if a person say they never fizzled thats a bluff...Cause each wizard has fizzled especially when just starting out and you have no accuracy at all fizzles happen much more.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2010
hmm did yo have a um whats it called ... smoke screen on you

abigail

also known as abigail ice :) :) :) good luck finding out wt happened!

also know as: abigail i

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
abigal202 on Dec 29, 2013 wrote:
hmm did yo have a um whats it called ... smoke screen on you

abigail

also known as abigail ice :) :) :) good luck finding out wt happened!

also know as: abigail i
Thank You Abigail,

As always I appreciate all your responses.
However, for the third time, I DID NOT HAVE ANY NEGATIVE ACCURACY SPELLS ON ME. I have clearly stated this in my original message. No Smoke Screen, No black mantle etc.
I have come to the conclusion that you only reach 99% or 99.9% accuracy.

Thank You.
Mark Dragonleaf