Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

NEW! Shadow Magic

AuthorMessage
Administrator

There is another kind of magic in the Spiral, in addition to the seven primary schools and the three Astral schools – it is an underlying, reality-defining and bending magic known as Shadow Magic. Shadow Magic can only be trained by spending Training Points, and cannot be learned as a Primary School of focus.

Shadow Magic is learned from Sofia DarkSide, a wise mouse mage located in the Eclipse Tower in Moon Cliffs. You will only be able to access her after you have completed the quest "Touching Shadow" and after you defeat her, she will teach you Shadow Magic.

Shadow Magic is so powerful and so dangerous that Bartleby and Grandmother Raven told Merle Ambrose not to delve into it, and especially not teach it to his students. Shadow magic was forbidden for it touches the true essence of the Spiral. This is the forbidden knowledge that Morganthe has so long coveted.

Shadow Magic enhances the spells you cast while the Shadow Magic spell is in effect. It is unstable and difficult to control. Players will need to learn how to best manage Shadow Magic and learn how to harness its very powerful benefits.

There are 3 different Shadow Self spells. You will be awarded one of them, based on your school. The other 2 can be learned by spending Training Points at Sofia DarkSide.

Ah but there's so much more...

Shadow Pips
Shadow Magic cannot be cast with regular or power pips, but must be cast with special new Shadow Pips. You will only have a chance of receiving Shadow pips if you have trained Shadow Magic.

Backlash
All Shadow Spells run the risk of Backlash Damage. When a player casts a Shadow Damage spell, a Shadow Aura appears. That Shadow Aura will change based on the player's actions. The angrier looking the Shadow Aura, the stronger the Backlash will be once the Shadow Magic spell expires. Damage caused by Backlash ignores all resistances, shields and modifiers!

PvP
Shadow Magic can be used in all PvP, young Wizards, so this should make things very interesting....

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
The 3 spells are Shadow Seraph, Shadow Shrike, and Shadow Sentinel. These are not auras, but more like transformations in that your character now looks like a monster.

Shadow Seraph: Adds 25% incoming damage, 25% outgoing healing, Adds absorb when you heal someone.

Shadow Shrike: Adds 50% pierce, 10% damage, and -25% heal.

Shadow Sentinel: Intercepts 1 damage, adds +80 block, -10% incoming damage.

All of these have backlash with different things that increase or decrease backlash damage. (eg. like casting blades while under shrike decreases backlash damage, while casting shields or heals increases backlash damage.)

best of luck!
-Adam Seafist

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
i think it would be nice if it would last for a few more rounds.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
think about what the moon spells do and instead oh changing your deck it boost some stats for 3 turns. in my opinion unless your a pvp'er there not all that great.

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
in pve this is great, but i've got a bad feeling about pvp...

Survivor
May 18, 2012
gweedoboy on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:
think about what the moon spells do and instead oh changing your deck it boost some stats for 3 turns. in my opinion unless your a pvp'er there not all that great.
You really don't know much about shadow magic do you? they are really useful if you use them right...

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Dakota1368 on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
You really don't know much about shadow magic do you? they are really useful if you use them right...
I have gotten the shadow magic spell and none of them help me and my strategy. maybe its useful to you and your strategy but the shadow spells arnt very helpful for me.

keep in mind that just because something looks awesome and may be awesome to you doesn't mean it is to others. I got it, I thought about it, and I tried it but its just to much of a hassle for so little gain to me.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
gweedoboy on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
I have gotten the shadow magic spell and none of them help me and my strategy. maybe its useful to you and your strategy but the shadow spells arnt very helpful for me.

keep in mind that just because something looks awesome and may be awesome to you doesn't mean it is to others. I got it, I thought about it, and I tried it but its just to much of a hassle for so little gain to me.
Doesn't sound like anything I would use either and will be glad not to have to do an extra solo fight for a spell.

Tnx for the heads up. It sort of sounds like Insane Bolt, sometimes things will go well, some times they won't. I am not into defeating myself.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Shadow Sentinel needs to change. It should "like" healing and/of buffing too, since usually tanks do one or both of those. As it is it's pretty useless. No one is only going to shield. The other shadow spells are great.

Thanks for adding this!

Historian
May 06, 2009
By the way, Professor Greyrose, as the game progresses (or when Part 2 is released) will we be seeing more of Shadow Magic or will these be the only spells ever? Shadow spells that effect Accuracy, Critical, Stun Resist, and Pip Chance would be cool to see as well as other dynamics (like adding blades after attacking or a second heal after healing, or a shield after being attacked etc.) introduced. Also can we expect to see more Astral spells or does Azteca mark they're culmination?

Thank you!

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
I have reached level 94. Still no Shadow Magic. From what I have heard from others, They got Shadow Magic by level 92. Where did I go wrong?

Historian
May 06, 2009
grahambhg on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
I have reached level 94. Still no Shadow Magic. From what I have heard from others, They got Shadow Magic by level 92. Where did I go wrong?
I've found that too. I'm very close to getting to the Eclipse Tower, but I've long since turned level 95. I'm not sure if it's an imbalance of experience points, or incorrect approximations, but it's quite down the road. You know you're close though when the Moon Crown is mentioned to help the Broodmother (basically after you beat her the first time).

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
have you completed touching shadow quest?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You didn't do anything wrong. Even though the spells say minimum level 92, I ran just the story quest straight through and the experience from that alone had me maxed out at level 95 well before getting the spells. The quest experience is poorly calculated for this world. Every lvl 90 wiz will be maxed at lvl 95 before finishing the world meaning every quest completed is a waste until they release part 2.

Survivor
May 08, 2010
sorry if this isn't in the right section, I couldn't find a good section for this. but I have recently seen videos with "shadow spells" they look very cool (I shouldn't of watched the video I want them in my deck right now lol) but I want to know where you get them, and what level you have to be to get them. and again, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Survivor
May 16, 2012
teaco31 on Nov 15, 2013 wrote:
sorry if this isn't in the right section, I couldn't find a good section for this. but I have recently seen videos with "shadow spells" they look very cool (I shouldn't of watched the video I want them in my deck right now lol) but I want to know where you get them, and what level you have to be to get them. and again, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Hello Teaco31! This should be the right section since it is called shadow magic.. the place you get them is Khrysalis part 1, maybe part 2 no info on that yet :P and the level is 92-95..

Noah WildBlood - Level 44

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
gweedoboy on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:
no shadow magic is more like a aura for 3 rounds that looks like a polymorph and gives better stats then regular auras but also causes some harm

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
seethe42 on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
You didn't do anything wrong. Even though the spells say minimum level 92, I ran just the story quest straight through and the experience from that alone had me maxed out at level 95 well before getting the spells. The quest experience is poorly calculated for this world. Every lvl 90 wiz will be maxed at lvl 95 before finishing the world meaning every quest completed is a waste until they release part 2.
I was almost 95 before I even entered Khrysalis. I leveled after a couple quests. I'd love to get my spells but I really don't want to waste XP. Idk whether to go for it or just wait it out.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
xMikarax on Nov 24, 2013 wrote:
I was almost 95 before I even entered Khrysalis. I leveled after a couple quests. I'd love to get my spells but I really don't want to waste XP. Idk whether to go for it or just wait it out.
Wow did you pull a super grind. I thought they just raised level cap when khrysalis came out.
90 was cap, so you must have did what I did and saved all your old quests and turned in after level cap raised.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Oct 30, 2013 wrote:
By the way, Professor Greyrose, as the game progresses (or when Part 2 is released) will we be seeing more of Shadow Magic or will these be the only spells ever? Shadow spells that effect Accuracy, Critical, Stun Resist, and Pip Chance would be cool to see as well as other dynamics (like adding blades after attacking or a second heal after healing, or a shield after being attacked etc.) introduced. Also can we expect to see more Astral spells or does Azteca mark they're culmination?

Thank you!
i am pretty sure there will be star and sun shadow magic as someone mentioned(I forgot who) that morganith also corrupted the star and sun towers of magic.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Northlite on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:
Doesn't sound like anything I would use either and will be glad not to have to do an extra solo fight for a spell.

Tnx for the heads up. It sort of sounds like Insane Bolt, sometimes things will go well, some times they won't. I am not into defeating myself.
It's not a solo quest and it's also not a choice. It's a storyline quest and you can mark in the tower and friends can port in.

Comparing it to insane bolt is just ridiculous. Backlash happens after 3 rounds and it starts at 30% health, it goes down by 10% (for Shrike) every time you either blade or attack. The other spells have different means of reducing it, like healing for example. It's really not that much damage and it uses no traps or resists. No boosts or resists to it, so it's generally not that much.It's a straight 30% to 10% health. It also doesn't do anything to you if you kill them all before the 3 round of the spell.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2013
If they hurt you and you have better spells, what is their point?
Alexander Wintermender Level 8

Survivor
Jul 04, 2013
can anyone help me? my friend melissa pearlfinder is lvl 95 ice and wants shadow magic but doesn't know where it's at. she knows it's in the new world but she doesn't know where. i'd help her but A: i'm too low of a lvl and B: i got no membership or crowns. if anyone has info that is of use that i can give to melissa, reply me. see ya'll in the spiral!

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
blue fire elf on Dec 14, 2013 wrote:
can anyone help me? my friend melissa pearlfinder is lvl 95 ice and wants shadow magic but doesn't know where it's at. she knows it's in the new world but she doesn't know where. i'd help her but A: i'm too low of a lvl and B: i got no membership or crowns. if anyone has info that is of use that i can give to melissa, reply me. see ya'll in the spiral!
It is part of the main quest line. She will get it if she continues through KR. The trainer unlocks after Eclipse Tower.