Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life is Useless as a Healing Class

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 05, 2010
If you're not a life wizard you probably won't understand this, but life is near useless at higher levels as a healing class.

Let me tell you why, pets.

Pets are out competing us when it comes to healing. Why? Because if someone with a good pet gets hit with a stormzilla, their pet will spam 2 faries, 2 sprites, and a Unicorn right after being hit.

The pet healing madness needs to be stopped and the pet healing needs to be dramatically reduced, the healing rates are just ridiculous.

So my idea is to reduce the amount of healing pets can do per round.

For instance, sprite is a rank 1 spell, every spell pets cast needs a cooldown thats equal to R + 1, where R is the rank. So for instance, a pet can only cast a sprite every 2nd turn at most, so there is 1 round where the owner won't be healed. Of course, your pet can heal every 2nd round but that's only the maximum amount of healing, your pet can still heal on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, etc round.

Same applies for Unicorn, your pet can only cast unicorn every 4 rounds at most, fairy can only be cast every 3 rounds, smokescreen can only be cast every 2 rounds.

Basically its to avoid heal spamming, pets heal spamming will be unfair especially at lower levels. If you're level 5 fighting another level 5 and your opponent's pet is using fairy or sprite every 2 or 3 hits it will be extremely unfair at these levels.

I'd like to address high level pets being used on low levels later, but this is not the thread.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Dogempire on Sep 2, 2013 wrote:
If you're not a life wizard you probably won't understand this, but life is near useless at higher levels as a healing class.

Pets are out competing us when it comes to healing. Why? Because if someone with a good pet gets hit with a stormzilla, their pet will spam 2 faries, 2 sprites, and a Unicorn right after being hit.

The pet healing madness needs to be stopped and the pet healing needs to be dramatically reduced, the healing rates are just ridiculous.

For instance, sprite is a rank 1 spell, every spell pets cast needs a cooldown thats equal to R + 1, where R is the rank. So for instance, a pet can only cast a sprite every 2nd turn at most, so there is 1 round where the owner won't be healed. Of course, your pet can heal every 2nd round but that's only the maximum amount of healing, your pet can still heal on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, etc round.

Same applies for Unicorn, your pet can only cast unicorn every 4 rounds at most, fairy can only be cast every 3 rounds, smokescreen can only be cast every 2 rounds.

Basically its to avoid heal spamming, pets heal spamming will be unfair especially at lower levels. If you're level 5 fighting another level 5 and your opponent's pet is using fairy or sprite every 2 or 3 hits it will be extremely unfair at these levels.

I'd like to address high level pets being used on low levels later, but this is not the thread.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Life is not only a healing school, so why complain that you don't have to just stand around and heal people?

Leave the pets that people have spent countless hour and funds on alone, and start using Life as a 'regular' wizard. There are many of us who play in this fashion all along anyway.

Historian
May 28, 2009
Pets don't heal that often. So it isn't very possible to always count on pet heals to stay alive. It is supposed to be able to solo the game so the pet heals are to be if you are not from life school.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
i am sorry we need healing pets some life wizards just don't heal you (once i have been defeated the battle was ending that round he was near full health and he healed himself) plus their not always around i would rather rely on my pet then a life wiz and i don't want healing pets to leave

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
My life heals like a madman. He currently has an outgoing heal of 142%. I haven't seen the pet <or player> that can even come close to competing with him. I am afraid I will have to disagree with your analysis.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010

Sorry I disagree, pets can spam heals many times, but it won't be the same as a life casting dyrad at full pips when I took half an hour to get them under 1000 health. That is just one example of many.

But! If it makes you feel better, I put my feet down at may cast satyr, can you believe some people are begging for it on the message boards? Next it will be may cast dryad at full pips then I am going to faint.

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
Making a good pet is no easy task to start with. It takes a ridiculous amount of hatchings just to get a decent pet (i'd say at least 10) when you first start out with a poor pet, since no one will really hatch with you. As you get a better pet and more people want to hatch, you start training your pet high until it fails at ancient or epic. Its a very long process, we're not talking weeks, we're talking many months. Good pets are hard to make, thus, they are well worth it. So I couldn't agree more.

I'm a lvl 90 , and I run tartarus a lot as a 3 man team to speed through it, and we couldn't survive to the slightest, let alone do it quickly, without a life there. I run it with my storm and my friends which are balance and life, perfect trio together. Pets don't heal too often depending on the ability ( fairy triggers the most since it is triggered after any spell by any person is casted, sprite is only triggered when someone has been attacked, and so on), and even so, a 600 heal from a fairy every 2 rounds doesn't do anything in tartarus or other high level bosses. I love my pet, don't get me wrong as a storm its saved me many many times, but life wizards rock. Not to mention i've seen some life wizards cast some nasty attacks when a heal isnt needed, new tartarus armor gives everyone awesome criticals.
- Adam Seafist lvl 90

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Leave the healing pets alone in PvE especially. What ever is done in PvP I don't care, but I do care when it effects my pets in PvE.

I will also use whatever level pets on whatever level of wizard I choose to. I do not PvP and with all the stuff that goes on there at this time, there is no way I will return to the Arena. Yes I used to PvP but not anymore.

Life wizards are not obsolete or useless. I happen to have a level 90 and a level 54 life wizard on separate accounts. I would not create them if they were useless. Pets don't always heal their owner and not all pets have more than one MC Heal. My main life (lvl 90) Has a mega pet that only has one MC heal and if that is nerfed or the others I am training to have only one MC heal gets nerfed, i would stop with pets and gardening altogether if not the game.

My life wizards are busy making sure my team stays healthy regardless of what the pets cast. Many times I am near defeat unless my pet casts a heal or another friend gives me a heal to make sure I am able to continue. I heal myself after everyone else is taken care of and not before. NEVER fully rely on a Pet to keep you in good health.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
critical blizzard on Sep 3, 2013 wrote:
i am sorry we need healing pets some life wizards just don't heal you (once i have been defeated the battle was ending that round he was near full health and he healed himself) plus their not always around i would rather rely on my pet then a life wiz and i don't want healing pets to leave
I'm a life wizard and if i can help it, I don't heal anyone. If here about to die, of course I will, but otherwise I'm too busy trying to kill whoever it is I'm fighting.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2011

I think there's a balance for pets. Most of the time, in PvP, at level 5 or so, not many people have pets that can heal. That's either because they can't train a pet that high, couldn't afford to hatch, or just low pedigree. But for the pets actually healing, the game probably made the spells in tiers for pets. The higher the tier, the less likely it is to cast. Also pets that know at least fairy and sprite can be pretty rare.

Blake FireGem