Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stop Asking KI to Ban or Level Cap Tcs

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
Whenever I go to this section of the message boards, I always see very ignorant and not thought out posts telling Kingsisle to level cap treasure cards or "gasp" BAN them from pvp matches. First off, level capping treasure cards would completely ruin them. The point of treasure cards is to be able to use spells that either you can`t learn yet, or wizards of your school can`t ever learn. Also, Kingsisle will never ever ban treasure cards from pvp simply because they are a strategy that everyone that has access to them can use. I feel I`ve covered everything.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Monquistans78 on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
Whenever I go to this section of the message boards, I always see very ignorant and not thought out posts telling Kingsisle to level cap treasure cards or "gasp" BAN them from pvp matches. First off, level capping treasure cards would completely ruin them. The point of treasure cards is to be able to use spells that either you can`t learn yet, or wizards of your school can`t ever learn. Also, Kingsisle will never ever ban treasure cards from pvp simply because they are a strategy that everyone that has access to them can use. I feel I`ve covered everything.
Yes! I post on every single thread about banning TCs. I hate that concept. I don't think it makes any sense. They have as much right to them as you and I would have.

Thanks you for having sense,
Wolf Skullslinger

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Well said. I completely agree.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Monquistans78 on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
....B-But, do you see nothing wrong with,

A novice wizard using Efreet?

A magus wizard who can use Medusa??

A journeyman wizard using snow angel???

Treasure Cards have been abused lately. It's like the word "treasure" means nothing anymore. Perhaps not ban all treasure cards in pvp, but get rid of rank 7 spells and above.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I do see both sides of the argument, but I would agree that a level cap on treasure cards would be appropriate. Plus, there are already TC's that are banned from PvP.

Level caps would not ruin TC's, nor PvP. Being able to play spells within your level would actually be better overall for PvP. People would have to learn strategy, which is sorely lacking these days.

The point of treasure cards is to have a few extra spells/charms/wards for easy access, within and outside of your school.

What you are pointing out is that TC's are only for spells you can't learn yet from your own school, or off-school's you can never learn (at least, that's what it sounds like). I believe that's a very one-sided view of the purpose of TC's. Besides, there are off-school spells that can never be used unless you can afford a mastery amulet.

PvP isn't all about TC's. It's about strategy and how you are able to play your school.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
I do see both sides of the argument, but I would agree that a level cap on treasure cards would be appropriate. Plus, there are already TC's that are banned from PvP.

Level caps would not ruin TC's, nor PvP. Being able to play spells within your level would actually be better overall for PvP. People would have to learn strategy, which is sorely lacking these days.

The point of treasure cards is to have a few extra spells/charms/wards for easy access, within and outside of your school.

What you are pointing out is that TC's are only for spells you can't learn yet from your own school, or off-school's you can never learn (at least, that's what it sounds like). I believe that's a very one-sided view of the purpose of TC's. Besides, there are off-school spells that can never be used unless you can afford a mastery amulet.

PvP isn't all about TC's. It's about strategy and how you are able to play your school.
I don`t understand what you mean. strategy involves using ALL the tools at your disposal, including treasure cards. Plus if you do the math, low level pvp is impossible without treasure cards. I also couldn`t solo Chestor Droors with a Frost Giant treasure card. It does ruin treasure cards. What is the point of buying an Efreet treasure card if you already have one? I don`t care about the slightly more damage, I could just enchant it, anyway to do even more damage.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
KorekuEternal on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
....B-But, do you see nothing wrong with,

A novice wizard using Efreet?

A magus wizard who can use Medusa??

A journeyman wizard using snow angel???

Treasure Cards have been abused lately. It's like the word "treasure" means nothing anymore. Perhaps not ban all treasure cards in pvp, but get rid of rank 7 spells and above.
There is no such thing as "abusing" treasure cards. A novice wizard can`t use Efreet anyway so that isn`t a good example. Kingsisle is not going to ban rank 7 seven treasure cards from pvp just because of some purists, sorry.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Monquistans78 on Aug 19, 2013 wrote:
I don`t understand what you mean. strategy involves using ALL the tools at your disposal, including treasure cards. Plus if you do the math, low level pvp is impossible without treasure cards. I also couldn`t solo Chestor Droors with a Frost Giant treasure card. It does ruin treasure cards. What is the point of buying an Efreet treasure card if you already have one? I don`t care about the slightly more damage, I could just enchant it, anyway to do even more damage.
Real strategy is learning your school inside and out, knowing how to use the school's strengths and overcoming the weaknesses no matter what level you are. Real strategy is playing spells and using tools within your level.

It's not impossible for low level PvP to play or win without treasure cards. I used to do that all the time in the First Age. Unfortunately, these days, PvP has become an 'extreme' sport to where people try to 'one-up' the other, or pay-to-win with the best gear, or get the best/highest ranked TC spells they can get to win, no matter what it takes.

Good sportsmanship and fair-play have been kicked aside in PvP, and in it's place, you have rudeness, attitudes, and bullying. It doesn't create a nice atmosphere and it surely doesn't help those who are just starting PvP and don't have much of a clue how to play.

What's the point of buying an Efreet TC if you already have one? If you're Fire and have Efreet in your regular deck, it's certainly handy to have extra Efreet TC in your side deck in case you can't come up with a hit at the moment. Besides, Efreet is great as a defense move as well as an offense move.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
There is no such thing as "abusing" treasure cards. A novice wizard can`t use Efreet anyway so that isn`t a good example. Kingsisle is not going to ban rank 7 seven treasure cards from pvp just because of some purists, sorry.
Players should be using spells/charms/wards within their level. It is a form of strategy when someone uses a TC spell way above their level to win (or try to win). Is it a good strategy? Not really. Maybe to the person casting it, but in my eyes, what it really means is that player doesn't know how to PvP with real skill and strategy, but instead, relies on high level TC cards for a fast win.

It is possible for a novice wizard to use much higher school spells, like Efreet (for Fire wizards). All they have to do is wait for the pips to cast it. Not an easy task, mind you, but it is possible.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:
Real strategy is learning your school inside and out, knowing how to use the school's strengths and overcoming the weaknesses no matter what level you are. Real strategy is playing spells and using tools within your level.

It's not impossible for low level PvP to play or win without treasure cards. I used to do that all the time in the First Age. Unfortunately, these days, PvP has become an 'extreme' sport to where people try to 'one-up' the other, or pay-to-win with the best gear, or get the best/highest ranked TC spells they can get to win, no matter what it takes.

Good sportsmanship and fair-play have been kicked aside in PvP, and in it's place, you have rudeness, attitudes, and bullying. It doesn't create a nice atmosphere and it surely doesn't help those who are just starting PvP and don't have much of a clue how to play.

What's the point of buying an Efreet TC if you already have one? If you're Fire and have Efreet in your regular deck, it's certainly handy to have extra Efreet TC in your side deck in case you can't come up with a hit at the moment. Besides, Efreet is great as a defense move as well as an offense move.
I meant extremely low level pvp, like a level 1 wizard against another level 1 wizard. You can`t use Efreet as a novice (usually,) because the maximum amount of pips you can have are seven. It may not be "good sprotsmanship" and "fair play" to use treasure cards in pvp to YOU, but you can`t expect everybody to play your way.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
Players should be using spells/charms/wards within their level. It is a form of strategy when someone uses a TC spell way above their level to win (or try to win). Is it a good strategy? Not really. Maybe to the person casting it, but in my eyes, what it really means is that player doesn't know how to PvP with real skill and strategy, but instead, relies on high level TC cards for a fast win.

It is possible for a novice wizard to use much higher school spells, like Efreet (for Fire wizards). All they have to do is wait for the pips to cast it. Not an easy task, mind you, but it is possible.
You can`t say they shouldn`t be using them because they have every right to use them as you do. Again, you can`t expect everybody to play your way.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011

So basically, you're saying that my level 8 warlord should be using rank 2 spells to combat level 30+? Treasure cards are a part of the game. Without them, low levels would lose to puppet teams almost all the time. Low level warlords would be practically nonexistent, because they would not have the damaging spells that they needed to fight much higher level privates. Pvp would overall be much worse than it is now.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Monquistans78 on Aug 21, 2013 wrote:
I meant extremely low level pvp, like a level 1 wizard against another level 1 wizard. You can`t use Efreet as a novice (usually,) because the maximum amount of pips you can have are seven. It may not be "good sprotsmanship" and "fair play" to use treasure cards in pvp to YOU, but you can`t expect everybody to play your way.
Please be sure specify that if you mean level 1, that it should be stated, not assumed.

It is possible that a novice Fire wizard can get a chance at a power pip, so therefore, would be able to cast Efreet, so my previous statement is true.

No, I don't expect everyone to play my way, but I do expect people to understand good sportsmanship and fair-play, which covers many areas of game-play, not just TC's.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Monquistans78 on Aug 21, 2013 wrote:
You can`t say they shouldn`t be using them because they have every right to use them as you do. Again, you can`t expect everybody to play your way.
Actually, I can say it, as it is my opinion. If people agree with my opinion, fine, and if people don't agree, that's fine as well, it's their prerogative.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
Actually, I can say it, as it is my opinion. If people agree with my opinion, fine, and if people don't agree, that's fine as well, it's their prerogative.
When I said you couldn`t say people shouldn`t be using overleveled treasure cards, I meant you couldn`t tell people not to use them because it was just "Your opinion." In pvp, your opponent will try to win however they want to win, Not how their opponent wants them to try to win. That is why this whole business about banning or level capping treasure cards is complete and utter nonsense. The only level capped treasure cards are sun and moon spells (I was able to buy a "Mend" treasure card at level 37.)

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
Okay. Let me illustrate a scenario.

I am playing a level 33 Death, ranked Knight. I am not using TC aside from Reshuffle.
I am playing against a level 47 Myth, ranked Private.

I start off battle by playing semi-defensive, mostly blading but throwing down a shield or weakness here and there. My opponent grabs a Mythblade, a Spirit Blade, and a Feint TC on me. They use their Ice wand spell two times to break through my shields/weaknesses. I cast Vampire, in the hopes of lowering their health enough to make them heal. However, being level 47, they have 2,672 Health, and my Vampire does little damage. They cast Medusa TC, nearly killing me oneshot. While I am healing myself, they blade up and Medusa again, killing me.
What I did: Played defensively, and bladed for a hit. Attacked, and dealt decent damage.
What they did: Bladed, tanked some hits, and used a TC.

It takes no skill at all to spam 8 Pip TC's. However, due to the number of people doing this, it takes incredible skill to rank up in PvP. My opinion: A level cap on TC's, but one that applies to the level of the wizards. For example: No Rnk. 7 or higher spells unless both competing wizards are level 50 or higher. If spamming high level TC is your entire strategy ..? Come on. As I said before, it takes almost no skill at all.
This sentence is entirely my opinion, but I think any Warlord who wins all their fights with a TC doesn't deserve their rank.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
Charles the Healer on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:

I am playing a level 33 Death, ranked Knight. I am not using TC aside from Reshuffle.

I start off battle by playing semi-defensive, mostly blading but throwing down a shield or weakness here and there. My opponent grabs a Mythblade, a Spirit Blade, and a Feint TC on me. They use their Ice wand spell two times to break through my shields/weaknesses. I cast Vampire, in the hopes of lowering their health enough to make them heal. However, being level 47, they have 2,672 Health, and my Vampire does little damage. They cast Medusa TC, nearly killing me oneshot. While I am healing myself, they blade up and Medusa again, killing me.
What I did: Played defensively, and bladed for a hit. Attacked, and dealt decent damage.

It takes no skill at all to spam 8 Pip TC's. However, due to the number of people doing this, it takes incredible skill to rank up in PvP. My opinion: A level cap on TC's, but one that applies to the level of the wizards. For example: No Rnk. 7 or higher spells unless both competing wizards are level 50 or higher. If spamming high level TC is your entire strategy ..? Come on. As I said before, it takes almost no skill at all.
This sentence is entirely my opinion, but I think any Warlord who wins all their fights with a TC doesn't deserve their rank.
Ugh, I am getting tired of people saying it takes no skill to use overleveled treasure cards. "Skill" does not mean "to handicap yourself."

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
So basically, you're saying that my level 8 warlord should be using rank 2 spells to combat level 30+? Treasure cards are a part of the game. Without them, low levels would lose to puppet teams almost all the time. Low level warlords would be practically nonexistent, because they would not have the damaging spells that they needed to fight much higher level privates. Pvp would overall be much worse than it is now.
So, my question is, why are you still only a level 8? Is it because at that level in PvP, the battles are fast and you can go for an easy win?

Although the system of PvP matches leaves a lot to be desired, it's no ones problem but yours if you are only a level 8 and are fighting 30+. How to solve that? Level up to earn your spells and be able to use more types for battles instead of relying on high level TC that you haven't even earned yet.

Survivor
Nov 02, 2012

I agree with this alot, I always play it defensive, blading PvP and PvE both, I also only use TCs close to my level mainly for bosses though. (skeletal pirate, Vampire, Sandstorm ect.)

To get in a pvp match with a level 15 that uses nothing but level 50+ TCs and then to get one shotted down by the TC is just annoying and cheap tactics.

Valdus Level 23 Necomancer

Survivor
Nov 17, 2010
I agree it get on my nerves when I beat someone with a tc and there you cheater and it just how you play the game
Brandon 13
Wolf 85

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
I agree with this!

Besides, here's a good story, I was in pvp and got paired up with a grandmaster fire warlord, I was promethean balance, immediately I thought, oh no (yes grandmasters have killed me o. o) but, these weren't your average kill promethean grandmaster warlords, I knew this when he hit me with a tc efreet, 800 damage haha, so I thought, is this the guy with insane resist? NOPE! Apparently this guy only got to warlord by hitting his grandmaster opponents with tc efreet. Why would you ban tc from pvp? Whatever makes me win against warlords makes me happy.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011

Yes, actually it is in fact a strategy. Just not one you agree with

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011

No no, let me illustrate a scenario. You are a Balance level 30. You have 1600 rank, you hit up the arena. You jump in there and find yourself to be against a level 50 Warlord Myth this Myth uses Shatter (trained), Blades (trained), Shields (trained), and Weaknesses (trained). So they don't use any TC. But he/she uses Orthrus, which at level 50 IS trained. Now how am I supposed to beat that?? He/she has full Warlord gear (50-59 resist) so of course, I use infallible. After infallible I throw out enchanted savage paws. Please tell me that you can beat this person without using TC with a 20 level difference.

Yeah, thanks.
Wolf Legend

Survivor
Jun 24, 2013
Hi level 50 grandmaster I think they should really level cap tc not saying they should go to the extreme to ban them from pvp but honestly I got faced with a level 8 overlord with insane resist ok I dont know how he got commander robe if its level cap now and really could delt with that ok that I could deal with ok so I started bladeing and trapping and shield he did same he got full power pips SOMEHOW threw a snow angel then like 4 MORE ROUNDS later he wolly mammoth I was like WHAT!

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Wolf Skullslinger on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Yes, actually it is in fact a strategy. Just not one you agree with
Woo, someone finally gets what the definition of a strategy is!