Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice, Over Powered or Not?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 22, 2011
I see how Mammoth stuns, and how Lord of Winter makes you lose three pips, and how they got a Steal heal over rounds. Ice is super overpowered, and I think people are starting to realize. Now, I am a huge Ice fan, but fighting Ice people is a pain in the neck. I need all the wizards in the game to help me on this one :{D

Wolf- 75 Death
Allan NightDreamer- 8 Ice

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
They make a big sacrifice for the power they have. Here are some of the sacrifices they have made: For level 48 spells, they have a mini storm lord for 10 more accuracy, Mammoth isn't that great of a spell, 80% accuracy but same damage as life, Lord isn't too good. Overpowered? Nope. With the pierce they just gave us, Ice is not too good but a formidable force indeed.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
I started as ice, and I agree. At high levels their resist is very high and if they want to, can hit like a storm wizard, they can also reach immunity to 2 schools while still having 50 universal resist.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Ice has to buff a lot to get a decent hit. It's hard to find gear with accuracy, critical and critical block. Power pips are so-so. Damage for most Ice averages in the 30's, which is far less than any other school. Without decent extra accuracy, Ice fizzles quite a bit. Mammoth is pretty much a waste of good pips, it's better to hit with smaller pip spells.

It's all about learning the school inside and out. Learn what works and what doesn't. Making the big hits like Fire and Storm takes a LOT of time and buffing, which is one of the reasons Ice has great health and resistance.

Over-powered? Nope. Not even close.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
General Jack Squat on Aug 6, 2013 wrote:
I see how Mammoth stuns, and how Lord of Winter makes you lose three pips, and how they got a Steal heal over rounds. Ice is super overpowered, and I think people are starting to realize. Now, I am a huge Ice fan, but fighting Ice people is a pain in the neck. I need all the wizards in the game to help me on this one :{D

Wolf- 75 Death
Allan NightDreamer- 8 Ice
No no no. Ice is not overpowered. 80% accuracy plus weak at the beginning. Just what ya need at a low level. Sure, at higher levels it begins to be a little OP, but it still has weak spots. If ya think about it, aren't all schools overpowered???
Balance can blade.
Death can heal and attack.
Life can heal.
Myth can pierce shields, earthquake, minions.
Ice has some resistance. A lot.
Fire has damage over time spells.
Storm hits really high.
-Molly level 72

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Molly the Balance ... on Aug 8, 2013 wrote:
No no no. Ice is not overpowered. 80% accuracy plus weak at the beginning. Just what ya need at a low level. Sure, at higher levels it begins to be a little OP, but it still has weak spots. If ya think about it, aren't all schools overpowered???
Balance can blade.
Death can heal and attack.
Life can heal.
Myth can pierce shields, earthquake, minions.
Ice has some resistance. A lot.
Fire has damage over time spells.
Storm hits really high.
-Molly level 72
Thank you Molly! I appreciate your logic! I woudl also like to say that immunity is hard to get. You need a specialized pet (typically with fire-ward, storm-ward, proof, defy, and a heal, unless you want more resist to one of them) wear the Heartsteel athame, craft gear, get jade or similar resist boots (with 15+). All in all, it isn't easy, oh also you have to farm for that resist ring.

Wolf Skullslinger, Yes I am an Ice player (I don't have immunity).

Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
The only thing good I would say about ice is that they're good for tanking.

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
I have watched ice pvp 1v1 videos and I can see how hard it is to attack ice. But let's not talk about pvp that's another story ... I don't really think is over the roof with power but I mean ice is meant for high resists and high health ... Which makes it harder for them to attack. Sure they can now have immunity to and and I think that's nuts and they shouldn't even be allowed to have that but .... Ok anyway with all that resist they need to focus more on damage. My lvl 90 friend only has 40 damage exact. That's exactly as much damage my 48 wizard has (with sky iron hasta of course) . Soooo ice is only op with with resist and in the next update with the final world of the second arc ... If ice gets more gear with more resists .. And yet gets immunity to more schools ... We got a big problem ..

Ok ok ok I admit it ice is op BUT only in resist . Which is why they have taunts . So the creatures will focus their attack on them since they can take tons of damage.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Any gear higher than the crafted Avalon set has much lower universal resist for Ice. KI keeps adding resist for Fire and Storm, but lowers the rest of the resist. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in their minds when they think of this stuff.

What people focus on is the resistance to Fire and Storm. They don't look at the rest of the resistance, which may not be the best. Ice has the lowest damage boost and one of the lowest base damage on spells. It's difficult to find accuracy boosts on gear, power pips aren't that great, healing in/out is not easy to get on gear, critical boost is generally between 137-167, critical block isn't easy to get unless you have a nice wand with a ton of block on it.

Sure, Ice has high health, however, if an Ice wants to increase their damage, power pips, resistance, healing, critical, accuracy, and block ....... their health and other stats are going to seriously suffer depending on mixing and matching gear.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I'm a level 90 and I'm no where near op.

Question for everyone... Have you ever heard of Pierce? >_>

Survivor
Jan 10, 2010
We aren't overpowered. Everyone moans about our resist, but nobody moans about Storm's damage.

We are a defensive school. That is our perk, we sacrifice a lot, especially power pips, damage and critical rating... and block.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2013
I am a ice wizard myself and it is amazing with all the defense.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2012
Think about it this way, if they took away ice wizards health, resist and defenses, what do they have? Be honest here, the spells arent that great at all. Also no one complains about storm being op with attacks, why? Because they're not, damage is what they do. Ice wizards have a hard time with damage. Defense is thir strength.

Defender
Oct 21, 2010
AluraStormCaster on Aug 27, 2013 wrote:
Think about it this way, if they took away ice wizards health, resist and defenses, what do they have? Be honest here, the spells arent that great at all. Also no one complains about storm being op with attacks, why? Because they're not, damage is what they do. Ice wizards have a hard time with damage. Defense is thir strength.
AluraStormCaster is right, while we have excellent defense, we have really low attacks, and its hard to find good gear to improve things like that, simply because Ice is the defense school. Op? I don't think so.

-See Ya In The Spiral!!

Julia DragonLeaf