Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Things that Need to be Changed in PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 19, 2009
I've been watching and doing a lot of pvp matches lately and these are some things (in my opinion) that need to be fixed. I know a lot of you will disagree with me but here we go,

1. Jade Gear- Why this is allowed in pvp is a mystery to me. Kingsisle made reshuffle a one time spell to shorten pvp, and completely overlooked jade gear. I watched a match where an overlord storm fought a life with jade gear and couldn't even come close to killing her. The life had 79 resist for all schools and kept spamming earth so the storm never got more then 3 or 4 blades, plus the fact she spammed shields. At the end the storm ran out of cards and just fled because he didn't want to waste hours of his time playing a "waiting game" against the life.

2. Guardian Spirit- I had to kill a life 8 times until I finally defeated him and got 10 rating for an hour long match. I'm not saying Kingsisle should ban the spell from pvp, but they should make it more reasonable. First of all, I think it should have a 10 pip cost as it revives you from the dead also causing the overtime damage to disappear (if there is any), plus the fact you can use it on a teammate. Another idea would be that a guardian spirit spell can only be used once on a player each duel, instead of the 10 pip cost.

3. Balances Supernova- Not much to say about this, it's not that bad, but for such a powerful spell that can remove an aura and do about 1,000 damage for 2 pips, I think it's accuracy should be a little less (yes, even lower then 50%). I think the accuracy should be somewhere from 30% to 40% ( which with accuracy from gear would be around 50%). Because I've never actually seen a balance fizzle supernova.

4. Ices mega resist against fire and storm- As a fire, my opinion probably shouldn't be taken into consideration as much, but here it is,
it's starting to get very hard (not completely impossible) to defeat an ice for both storm and fire. I was fighting an ice commander a while back and hardly even touched him. Every time I used prism he used a tc to remove it and did the same thing with all my traps. He even used enfeeble tc when I started to have more then 3 blades. At the end he dominated me with only 200 health lost (my failure efreet). I'm hoping Kingsisle will remove the fire and storm resist from that gear to make it fairer (which will not happen anytime soon), so I ask that they at least not create any gear like this in the future.

That's it, and sorry if I made this too long (which I probably did, but it's my first time posting and I have really wanted to get this out there for a while). I'd also like to hear your opinions on this if you don't mind.

-Seth Fireblade, Promethean

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Everyone always complains about Jade gear, yet never about the folk who fiddle with their gear to have close to 200 damage boost. Jade gear isn't very powerful, and it's fairly easy to defeat someone relying on it. Matches against people wearing it are only long if you don't use the right spells. As a fire, you should probably use a heck hound in a 1v1 when facing a jade wearer. Boost up with as many blades as you can, fill up your pips, and then unleash it. In two rounds, unless they used guardian spirit, the match will be over.

Guardian spirit, ya that spell is a pain and should have similar restrictions to it as reshuffle. Other than that, it should be left as is. It's a legitimate spell in a life wizards arsenal. I hate going against someone using it, but at the same time every wizard type has spells we all hate to fight against.

I used to hate supernova too, until I just stopped using auras. Sure I don't get the nice spiffy buffs from auras anymore, but I also don't have to take the annoying hits from that spell anymore. Is it overpowered? Yeah a bit, the pip cost is too low, but it is a situational spell and very easily avoided so I see no reason to change it.

Ice wizards are supposed to have resists and health. Complaining about this would be like complaining about storm wizards doing big damage. (Which I do all the time after getting pwned by one) Unfortunately, it is all part of the game. Consider investing in some balance attack TC to help take down ice or maybe start hunting up some armor piercing gear.

You're not alone in thinking some of these things are unfair, but you also have to remember, they are probably thinking the same about some of your spells or gear. Part of PVP is figuring out how to overcome your opponent's strengths as well as your own weaknesses. Sure some folk run in, cast a few blades and then one hit kill an opponent and that is all well and good for them. But that same person will rage quit when the match starts going against them.

Survivor
Oct 13, 2010
Tatiana Winterhear... on Jun 25, 2013 wrote:
Everyone always complains about Jade gear, yet never about the folk who fiddle with their gear to have close to 200 damage boost. Jade gear isn't very powerful, and it's fairly easy to defeat someone relying on it. Matches against people wearing it are only long if you don't use the right spells. As a fire, you should probably use a heck hound in a 1v1 when facing a jade wearer. Boost up with as many blades as you can, fill up your pips, and then unleash it. In two rounds, unless they used guardian spirit, the match will be over.

Guardian spirit, ya that spell is a pain and should have similar restrictions to it as reshuffle. Other than that, it should be left as is. It's a legitimate spell in a life wizards arsenal. I hate going against someone using it, but at the same time every wizard type has spells we all hate to fight against.

I used to hate supernova too, until I just stopped using auras. Sure I don't get the nice spiffy buffs from auras anymore, but I also don't have to take the annoying hits from that spell anymore. Is it overpowered? Yeah a bit, the pip cost is too low, but it is a situational spell and very easily avoided so I see no reason to change it.

Ice wizards are supposed to have resists and health. Complaining about this would be like complaining about storm wizards doing big damage. (Which I do all the time after getting pwned by one) Unfortunately, it is all part of the game. Consider investing in some balance attack TC to help take down ice or maybe start hunting up some armor piercing gear.

You're not alone in thinking some of these things are unfair, but you also have to remember, they are probably thinking the same about some of your spells or gear. Part of PVP is figuring out how to overcome your opponent's strengths as well as your own weaknesses. Sure some folk run in, cast a few blades and then one hit kill an opponent and that is all well and good for them. But that same person will rage quit when the match starts going against them.
You seem to be overlooking the "triage" spell.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
Topher3691 on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
I've been watching and doing a lot of pvp matches lately and these are some things (in my opinion) that need to be fixed. I know a lot of you will disagree with me but here we go,

1. Jade Gear- Why this is allowed in pvp is a mystery to me. Kingsisle made reshuffle a one time spell to shorten pvp, and completely overlooked jade gear. I watched a match where an overlord storm fought a life with jade gear and couldn't even come close to killing her. The life had 79 resist for all schools and kept spamming earth so the storm never got more then 3 or 4 blades, plus the fact she spammed shields. At the end the storm ran out of cards and just fled because he didn't want to waste hours of his time playing a "waiting game" against the life.

2. Guardian Spirit- I had to kill a life 8 times until I finally defeated him and got 10 rating for an hour long match. I'm not saying Kingsisle should ban the spell from pvp, but they should make it more reasonable. First of all, I think it should have a 10 pip cost as it revives you from the dead also causing the overtime damage to disappear (if there is any), plus the fact you can use it on a teammate. Another idea would be that a guardian spirit spell can only be used once on a player each duel, instead of the 10 pip cost.

3. Balances Supernova- Not much to say about this, it's not that bad, but for such a powerful spell that can remove an aura and do about 1,000 damage for 2 pips, I think it's accuracy should be a little less (yes, even lower then 50%). I think the accuracy should be somewhere from 30% to 40% ( which with accuracy from gear would be around 50%). Because I've never actually seen a balance fizzle supernova.

4. Ices mega resist against fire and storm- As a fire, my opinion probably shouldn't be taken into consideration as much, but here it is,
it's starting to get very hard (not completely impossible) to defeat an ice for both storm and fire. I was fighting an ice commander a while back and hardly even touched him. Every time I used prism he used a tc to remove it and did the same thing with all my traps. He even used enfeeble tc when I started to have more then 3 blades. At the end he dominated me with only 200 health lost (my failure efreet). I'm hoping Kingsisle will remove the fire and storm resist from that gear to make it fairer (which will not happen anytime soon), so I ask that they at least not create any gear like this in the future.

That's it, and sorry if I made this too long (which I probably did, but it's my first time posting and I have really wanted to get this out there for a while). I'd also like to hear your opinions on this if you don't mind.

Uhm, There are no enfeeble Tc. And the thing I do when I fight ice is throw a fire bubble (Spam if you must) Put a myth dispel (Even if u aren't wearing myth mastery) and carry a shatter, Build up full pips and shatter all shields then efreet. Or Build up full pips Throw a convert and get 3 more in ur hand and then HeckHound converting over it each round, If you're worried about triage, then throw a fire elf, and the Enfeeble thing my bad, it must have have been from an item of clothing. But again he has limited use of those and his treasure cards he will run out.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
I have not done pvp since first age pvp began and about half way though quit pvp all together, I just came back to pvp and am yes having the blade, blade triton or something or other...

Supernova is a nice spell, but in teams like with storms Storm Lord is deadly, but I like supernova..cant comp lain..

Guardian Spirit, yes is a pain in the butt, I have to agree there should be a restriction on it, it can get very very annoying..XD

Now Ice, I play an Ice Wizard, and our resist is like crazy MAD, now thats why they make us the strongest resist in the game, to take the lead in battles and what not, but in pvp is very nasty LoL

Thats about it, just my 2 cents XD

Survivor
Oct 19, 2009
Ok, after reading peoples opinions I agree supernova shouldn't be changed... the other 3 still stand though.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Overall, there is nothing major that's wrong with PVP. You need to learn more about PVP so you can adapt to the environment.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
1.) Not much to say, they took the entire spell from another game. Of course it was broken.
2.) Jade gear is nasty for defense schools to take out, enough said.
3.) Super nova is 100% counter-able by not using an aura.
4.) Ices resist is still of the charts with the health. Its hard even with prisms and pierce.
5.) Reshuffle has broken ranked pvp into a passing game. who can be afk the longest and not get logged off, i want the old one back.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
I had battle with Life wizard. She was going first.
She had 76 resist, enough of damage, forest lord, may cast fairy about 1300, guardian spirit was around 1500 and Earthquake without mastery amulet rest are small stuff that annoyed me BUT casting Guardian spirit 11 times is i dont know i will say it took me a lot of time to defeat her i had 2 learned Reshuffle and 2 Tc's Reshuffle didn't had doom and gloom cause in that time that would be bad for me also didn't had infection cause didnt had room in Tc box.

That spell rocks but they should make limit of use like Reshuffle not just one they can let say use it 5 times but not like this if i didn't had Reshuffle and had tools of Myth school i would sure been defeated if in future they get any better gear then this lets say about 80% on global and using heals and guardian spirit I or someone with any good expirience in pvp it will took us all day for just 16 points at end or just takes a lot of your time.

This days i play pvp rare cause it takes all my time which i made to play this game and that is around 5 hours so i basiclly use all that time on one battle i don't complain i always say you can defeat anything but you need time for it but to play extra hours and at end you get defeat or delay cause of repeating heals is just playing "bored" match.

Maybe i just meet crazy unique wizard but after that match not much time will take to all life wiz be the same. I like pvp cause i love to express strategy thats all i can say. I know all strategy and mistakes at pvp i am just worryed about time playing one match.

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, level 90, Technomancer
" Let the force be with you all "

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
If your argument is PVP is broken then I suggest you simply stop playing. This game has been around for how many years? In that time how many changes have been made to PVP? So if it hasn't changed then it's probably not going to be in the future. And despite all it's problems there seems to be a bunch of players out there that have NO PROBLEM ADJUSTING.

This section of the boards would be so much more enjoyable if I didn't have to read everyday about how this school is overpowered, or this card is unfair and needs to be nerfed. If PVP is really that frustrating to you take your time and learn how to construct a deck and develop a strategy or DON'T PLAY!

Please stop coming here to whine about it.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Topher3691 on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:

I agree with everything except number 3. I am balance and that is insulting. 1,000 damage is only with colossal. No, the accuracy is fine, and I am sure you have seen a balance fizzle supernova, but you didn't know what spell it was so you are here complaining!

Considering balance is one of the weakest schools, with weak blades, no DOT spell, no prism for balance enemies, and you can't wand off the tower shield without losing your blade, this is one of balance's good spells.

Yeah of course it has been used against me. If you are mad about it here is an idea. DON'T CAST AURA. o:. Back to your suggestion, no the accuracy is fine. Some wizards I talked to were shocked about the accuracy thinking it should be higher. I am surprised you didn't come here to complain about storm, but when they critical insane bolt and you don't like that, I will be the first to reply.