Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hard to Understand..

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
We all know this text chat thing and stuff when I say Sorry, I don't have Text chat they continue to talk in text chat They don't know that I can't see what there saying they probably think I just can't respond I find this really annoying.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Turnip78 on Apr 7, 2013 wrote:
We all know this text chat thing and stuff when I say Sorry, I don't have Text chat they continue to talk in text chat They don't know that I can't see what there saying they probably think I just can't respond I find this really annoying.
what's hard to understand is this post.

have you been muted? from what i understand, that's the only way for non-chat players to see what text-chatters are saying (correct me if i'm wrong, guys), so that's no one else's fault.

OR

are you a menu-chatter (meaning under 13), who only sees "..." when those around you are talking? in that case, it's not their fault, either. and, unless they are talking to you, it's not really your business either.

the menu-chat system needs a lot of fixing, because there are a number of options in the phrase-book that don't have responses, and therefore hinder communication. a good friend of mine in-game is a menu-chatter, and i can't always communicate with her properly because the option i would need to reply to her doesn't exist. so it's possible that (assuming these other players are even talking to you) there isn't a menu-chat reply they can use.

-von
promethean sorceress & necromancer

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Remember, a lot of text chatters are children (many who shouldn't have text chat in the first place). They probably aren't aware that you are unable to see what they type, except in Menu Chat.

However, depending where you are - like the Commons - many wizards there are not very nice to Menu chatters, so it's a good thing you can't see what they type.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Its actually pretty obvious if someone has menu chat or text chat, although when I am in a hurry sometimes I forget.

If you are in a battle group and you are the only menu chat then people will generally continue to text chat amongst themselves, especially if they are established friends. Menu chat is just to limiting and tough to use effectively if you don't use it regularly.

Other than saying basic stuff like "hello", and "thanks" its really tough to communicate thoughts or ideas using the menu chat system. Sometimes if a menu chat player does something the others don't understand or like the others can get pretty frustrated just because they can't explain. And people who just menu chat 'no... no.... no... ' all the time because they don't like whats going on really aren't communicating effectively either.

I think people who play with menu chat are severely limited when trying to play ooperatively with others. In the higher level worlds (Celestia and beyond) many open chat players simply won't play with them because of the difficulties. Unfair but true.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not sure if it is a choice, but there should be something you can post that states: I don't have text chat and cannot see text chat. Please use menu chat only."

Explorer
Apr 28, 2012
Yes, in my menu chat days the same happened to me. When i got text, I could swear i saw people saying stuff like: "Yes, I know you are menu chat XD!" They are just teasing you, don't let it bother ya. Just ignore it. :)