Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

This Game.... The Magic is Gone...

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
OldStormWizard on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
Gee, I wonder if a new wand called "Nuclear Strike" that obliterates a world you don't want to finish is in order.

If the game was easy all the way through, Wizard101 would lose about the same amount of players due to boredom. I enjoy the harder worlds, have great friends that enjoy it as well. I develop new strategies to deal with the increase of difficulty.

The key is adaptation! Adapt to the changing environment and the harder worlds are not so tough.

Shortcuts are not the answer and usually result in dead ends!
In this thread most people are discussing the 'magic' of the game. Story-line and such. Not so much that the game is tough, although difficulty factors into some of the discussion. Almost everybody that has posted has successfully made it through Azteca, and several wizards elsewhere in the spiral.

The main issue with the difficulty is the lack of compensating rewards. Also some people call repetitive tasks that seamingly take forever 'difficult' when they actually mean 'really repetitive with no reasonable point to it.'

And of course the game is made tremendously easier by paying money. It is hard for gamers to understand why there is superior gear available instantanly for real money, rather than stuff you can get in-game. That with henchmen lead people to believe it is pay-to-win... which is true if you want to zip through in a hurry. Yes I realize KI must make money, but why isn't the really superior stuff available in-game in the form of rewards?

Example #1: For better gear should you complete crafting quests or just go to the crown shop?

Example #2: For the most cool and unusual pets should you farm for drops or go to crown shop?

Example #3: For Avalon spells is it worth spending literally months aquiring seeds and gardening, or purchase a bunch of packs?

But I belive the essence of this thread is not about difficulty, in-game rewards, or crown shop gear. Its about the feel of the game. 1st arc was fun just running around meeting people and fighting bad guys. 2nd arc turned into serious win/lose and must-beet-the-level feelings.

Survivor
Oct 04, 2008
Hey at least it isn't like toontown where they just only have events at least we know that our money is allowing new content to be produced. all im saying is that kings isle is trying to make ideas and they may have to change the board a little bit

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
WolfSunStaff on May 2, 2013 wrote:
Hey at least it isn't like toontown where they just only have events at least we know that our money is allowing new content to be produced. all im saying is that kings isle is trying to make ideas and they may have to change the board a little bit
I never played Toontown and like Rotten said I know that this post is about the magic of the game but. I heard of Toontown not being money hungry. Its just they haven't updated in years. Also the money isn't the problem, its the community. Just in my opinion.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
OldStormWizard on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
Gee, I wonder if a new wand called "Nuclear Strike" that obliterates a world you don't want to finish is in order.

If the game was easy all the way through, Wizard101 would lose about the same amount of players due to boredom. I enjoy the harder worlds, have great friends that enjoy it as well. I develop new strategies to deal with the increase of difficulty.

The key is adaptation! Adapt to the changing environment and the harder worlds are not so tough.

Shortcuts are not the answer and usually result in dead ends!
lol, if such a wand existed, i'd have gotten rid of marley, mooshu, celestia, and azteca, in that order.

fortunately, i have good friends in-game; they made azteca bearable, and are the only joy i have left. the more i think about it, the more i think that tossing both subs is a good idea.

-v.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
WolfSunStaff on May 2, 2013 wrote:
The point is, if the fun and magic is no longer there, then there is no point in continuing to play. Unless you are a "hardcore" player and don't care about fun or magic or the cost.

The fun and magic the game presented is what drew a lot of people to this game. That was lost in the second arc. I have seen a lot of players and many of them friends quit this game since CL. All the "collect" quests with the numerous "did not collect" became extremely tedious. There is no fun in that.

The crafting has gotten bad because some of the needed ingredients are almost impossible to get without hours of farming for something you may or may not get. That started with "Amber" and progressed to the Potent Trap. I don't mind farming for things but there is a point that it becomes extremely tedious and boring, making it no longer worth the effort.

New content is fine, but the average/casual player should not have to be a military tactician. There is absolutely no fun or relaxation and NO MAGIC AT THAT POINT. A little strategy yes, a challenge yes, but when the challenge jumps as it has in the second arc, then it starts losing that magic.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
I kind of feel like they just sucked 35 million people into the game and then like, got money hungry...

Survivor
Apr 10, 2010
The game has lost its focus over the years. Is it a game for people who want to just sit back and relax? Or for players that want a challenge? Is it about Wizards or random talking animals? This game just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be about.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
RottenHeart on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
In this thread most people are discussing the 'magic' of the game. Story-line and such. Not so much that the game is tough, although difficulty factors into some of the discussion. Almost everybody that has posted has successfully made it through Azteca, and several wizards elsewhere in the spiral.

The main issue with the difficulty is the lack of compensating rewards. Also some people call repetitive tasks that seamingly take forever 'difficult' when they actually mean 'really repetitive with no reasonable point to it.'

And of course the game is made tremendously easier by paying money. It is hard for gamers to understand why there is superior gear available instantanly for real money, rather than stuff you can get in-game. That with henchmen lead people to believe it is pay-to-win... which is true if you want to zip through in a hurry. Yes I realize KI must make money, but why isn't the really superior stuff available in-game in the form of rewards?

Example #1: For better gear should you complete crafting quests or just go to the crown shop?

Example #2: For the most cool and unusual pets should you farm for drops or go to crown shop?

Example #3: For Avalon spells is it worth spending literally months aquiring seeds and gardening, or purchase a bunch of packs?

But I belive the essence of this thread is not about difficulty, in-game rewards, or crown shop gear. Its about the feel of the game. 1st arc was fun just running around meeting people and fighting bad guys. 2nd arc turned into serious win/lose and must-beet-the-level feelings.
Bingo. I have a level 83, and level 83 she shall remain. I've tried Azteca, but there comes a point when you've battled 9 ice dinosaurs with more power pips their first turn than you have in 4. and receive the ever popular "did not collect" message that the magic does in fact disappear. My son is stuck in Avalon and will probably not advance-most of his friends stopped playing. I have 1-2 friends who still log on from time to time, but the rest are never online.

Our membership expires in a few months, and we will let it. All I really do is garden, and I have a little life wizard just wrapping up Marleybone, so for me, it's no big deal. We've spent a small fortune on this game, but we're done. We don't have time to battle NPC's over and over and over again for tokens or staffs or whatever else a quest requires, and we really don't have the real life money to keep buying henchmen.

On an up note, I am loving the Red Barn Farmhouse. 50+ plants all reaching elder at least twice as quickly. [Tip: craft a star chalice for your King Parsley-it's worth it.]

Hopefully, KI will bring the magic back someday, but I sense many of the folks who have been around since the beginning or close to it will no longer be online to notice.

Erin Ice Weaver and Erin Willow Glade.

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
Remember when there was actually a story line? I feel like in the new worlds we are fighting things for nothing. I remember in DS when you were fighting to find sylvia and fighting to build a dragon rider staff and fighting to ride a battle drake. That was fun. Now its kill mobs, kill a boss, next NPC. Its the same thing..every..single..time.... Remember when the only gear that you could get was school specific? That was fun. I could have 60 resist to balance and 0 to the others. That was so much fun. 10% Wild Bolts. Fun/ Notice everything that I am stating was removed like a piece of dust from KI.

Defender
Oct 24, 2010
I just hated when things gets from exciting to yawn and then you just don't wanna play it anymore -_- . But hey look on the bright side, new stuff means more adventure!

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
I used to never get frusterated at this game and want to stop playing at points because it got too annoying... Until I reached Celestia... I liked the stress free feeling of defeating everything and only getting defeated SOMETIMES because I did something stupid now I just feel like it got to the point where it is a little unfair unless you have a lot of people helping you... This game has the potential to change, I hope it does.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I think people should give the new, more skill and strategy bound gameplay another chance. Sure, for people that used to use a trap, charm, fire dragon- sorry its not as simple as it used to be :(. But i personally think if you can get past all the new features that change the game, its still your long-time friend.
I don't plan on stopping playing until i can't pay for membership anymore (probably won't happen soon :P).

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
A Balanced Life on May 5, 2013 wrote:
Remember when there was actually a story line? I feel like in the new worlds we are fighting things for nothing. I remember in DS when you were fighting to find sylvia and fighting to build a dragon rider staff and fighting to ride a battle drake. That was fun. Now its kill mobs, kill a boss, next NPC. Its the same thing..every..single..time.... Remember when the only gear that you could get was school specific? That was fun. I could have 60 resist to balance and 0 to the others. That was so much fun. 10% Wild Bolts. Fun/ Notice everything that I am stating was removed like a piece of dust from KI.
I remember it very well, but then I have 6(one almost finished) of 11 wizards in the first arc now, 3 in CL and WT, 1 in Av, and 1 in Az..

The first arc is still fun and there is a STORY LINE that does not get lost. The one in AZ (lvl 88) has not quested in a couple of months, the one in Av (lvl 76) now and then. The highest level one in CL is not moving but the other 2 will be doing all of WT.

I used to want to have at least 1 or 2 wizards ready for the newest content, but now, I don't care. My highest leveled wizards are now farming CP seeds/gardening and training pets for my lower wizards.

The second arc has lost a lot of the enjoyment along with the magic. The story line is supposed to be about Morganthe and even that is not clear, but if and when you do find it, it won't be long till you lose it again.

Not being able to pick up side quests as we go like the first arc, we now have to wait to be sent to the NPC that gives them and there are way too many side quests in Av and Az that really make no sense other than to send you to another boss or another "COLLECT".

Az has you running in circles more than any other world in the game. It has become so tedious I just don't care to finish it, but will try to get at least 1 wizard through, just may not do another.

@Supergreen824 new stuff no longer holds that sense of adventure, excitement, and definitely not magic.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
DarthyKarth on May 7, 2013 wrote:
I think people should give the new, more skill and strategy bound gameplay another chance. Sure, for people that used to use a trap, charm, fire dragon- sorry its not as simple as it used to be :(. But i personally think if you can get past all the new features that change the game, its still your long-time friend.
I don't plan on stopping playing until i can't pay for membership anymore (probably won't happen soon :P).
This discussion isn't about skill and strategy, or using traps, charms or Fire Dragon. It has to do with the immersion in the storyline, feeling the magic and the true sense that you're saving the spiral. In the first arc, the characters are interesting. You knew what was going on. It wasn't all about fight and collect. The second arc isn't as involved story-wise. You lose track of what's going on, there is no interest in the characters, and all you do is fight and collect.

This game is about magic, fun, and a sense of accomplishment - in being the wizard that saves the Spiral. Since this is a game with a story-driven base, it needs to pull you in and make you want to continue to find out what happens.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. This is why the magic is gone.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2011
When i started, it was not a bright beginning: stuck on lvl 9 without member. i got to 26 somehow when i decided to give it no more attention. When i finally got one member, i was enjoying the game: KT, MB, MS, DS. CL somehow, because i pretty like underwater feeling, but i was sensing that Wizard101 will go off limits. that happened. Zafaria was a catastrophe. But in Avalon and Azteca, Kingisle drawn their worst from their heads!

We want a pack of side worlds that are lower level based: Wysteria and Grizzleheim are the biggest refreshment happened on this game. Also they should make "Treasure Areas", a area with 3 paths (never same). one has monsters, other has nothing, third has a small sign of a correct guess (wooden chest, mist wood etc.) Common Kingisle, wake up and be creative like you were once!!!! :D

Zachary UnicornBlossom lvl 87 (currently under my own, last day now :P)
Cody GhostEyes lvl 38 sorcerer

Honor is always present

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
I do feel like its getting very hard now. In Celestia you have to kill the people 8000 times to get what you need! I do love the criticals though. Most of the bosses in Celestia, well i should say ALL of the bosses in Celestia CHEAT! Its so annoying! So it is getting harder. Can't argue with that. Also most the time all you need is a trusty healing pet. They gave a lot away because of a event! You do need Mastery Amulets now, they are useful, but I feel like they need to be bought by gold! They need to change that. Also it seems like if you say "Oh this is boring. I feel like quitting." You can come the next day or month and say "Oh I like this now!"

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
netanner on May 8, 2013 wrote:
I do feel like its getting very hard now. In Celestia you have to kill the people 8000 times to get what you need! I do love the criticals though. Most of the bosses in Celestia, well i should say ALL of the bosses in Celestia CHEAT! Its so annoying! So it is getting harder. Can't argue with that. Also most the time all you need is a trusty healing pet. They gave a lot away because of a event! You do need Mastery Amulets now, they are useful, but I feel like they need to be bought by gold! They need to change that. Also it seems like if you say "Oh this is boring. I feel like quitting." You can come the next day or month and say "Oh I like this now!"
It is getting harder but only because our wizards are not up to par with what we are facing by the time you get to AZ.

Not everyone can afford Mastery Amulets at $25 each, and, even if they could, it does not bring the fun and magic back to the game.

The "Lost Pages" event has nothing to do with the loss of the fun and magic. The first arc still has that and I don't see that part changing.

Even CL was still fun to a point and yes it did get tedious with all the collects, but the Magic was still there. No stacking of Creatures for Collect quests, but you were not sent back to fight the same creatures a dozen times either. Maybe 3 times total from different NPCs, but not like in ZF where it really got bad.

ZF was getting even more tedious and frustrating for many players with an increase of "Collects" that ended up being "Did Not Collect". Magic and Fun in ZF became lost at times, but you still got a hint of it. There was no stacking creatures for any of the Collect quests. This is what started making the game less fun. You were having to go back and fight the same creatures over and over for various collect quests.

Av was actually fun except for a high increase in Bosses. Magic could still be found, but, it was beginning to fade away. This is also where the big changes came in for picking up side quests. In the first arc, you could pick up a side quest as you traveled through each area and do it while you were in the area of the quest. Now you have to wait to be sent to a particular NPC and more than likely the same mob you just defeated for the umpteenth time. This change actually started in ZF but was not as pronounced as it is in Av and Worse in Az.

All of these changes have contributed to the game becoming less fun and Magical by the time you hit Az.

When you think you have finally finished an area and can move forward, you end up getting sent back to a previous area to fight a few more bosses or mobs. In other words, you are literally running in circles, the story line is lost, there are more boss/mob battles with nothing to gain except for a few common reagents that you can pick up during your runs though most worlds. No fun or excitement in getting those as a battle drop or quest reward.

Crafting in Az has become down right aggravating for many including me. Amber is hard enough to get and now the potent Trap is even harder for a lot of players. The drop rate is all but nil. I have a lvl 88 life that stopped running in Cloud Burst Forest in early March. I may eventually finish, but right now, I just don't feel that magic that drew me to this game. I am running Noobs in the first arc and will only go to the point the fun and magic is gone.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
DragonLady1818 on May 10, 2013 wrote:
It is getting harder but only because our wizards are not up to par with what we are facing by the time you get to AZ.

Not everyone can afford Mastery Amulets at $25 each, and, even if they could, it does not bring the fun and magic back to the game.

The "Lost Pages" event has nothing to do with the loss of the fun and magic. The first arc still has that and I don't see that part changing.

Even CL was still fun to a point and yes it did get tedious with all the collects, but the Magic was still there. No stacking of Creatures for Collect quests, but you were not sent back to fight the same creatures a dozen times either. Maybe 3 times total from different NPCs, but not like in ZF where it really got bad.

ZF was getting even more tedious and frustrating for many players with an increase of "Collects" that ended up being "Did Not Collect". Magic and Fun in ZF became lost at times, but you still got a hint of it. There was no stacking creatures for any of the Collect quests. This is what started making the game less fun. You were having to go back and fight the same creatures over and over for various collect quests.

Av was actually fun except for a high increase in Bosses. Magic could still be found, but, it was beginning to fade away. This is also where the big changes came in for picking up side quests. In the first arc, you could pick up a side quest as you traveled through each area and do it while you were in the area of the quest. Now you have to wait to be sent to a particular NPC and more than likely the same mob you just defeated for the umpteenth time. This change actually started in ZF but was not as pronounced as it is in Av and Worse in Az.

All of these changes have contributed to the game becoming less fun and Magical by the time you hit Az.

When you think you have finally finished an area and can move forward, you end up getting sent back to a previous area to fight a few more bosses or mobs. In other words, you are literally running in circles, the story line is lost, there are more boss/mob battles with nothing to gain except for a few common reagents that you can pick up during your runs though most worlds. No fun or excitement in getting those as a battle drop or quest reward.

Crafting in Az has become down right aggravating for many including me. Amber is hard enough to get and now the potent Trap is even harder for a lot of players. The drop rate is all but nil. I have a lvl 88 life that stopped running in Cloud Burst Forest in early March. I may eventually finish, but right now, I just don't feel that magic that drew me to this game. I am running Noobs in the first arc and will only go to the point the fun and magic is gone.
agreed we need better gear and stats. i think that instead of a double pip wand i would rather have tri pip chance and a wand that gives 1 tri pip at the start of a duel plus the regular pip that could be a power pip or even a tri pip if your lucky. were level 90 now we deserve it after all how long are you willing to let these mob battles get ki, 20 min avarage?
i dont even use a mastery amulet lol i prefer the one my pyromancer has witch gives him 407 health and a 35% universal trap.

i found cl to be quite interesting but a little bit tedious at times.
zafaria got annoying really fast and stayed annoying and tedious for almost the entire world(however i think ki has made those defeat and collect quest easier now).
avalon i trully enjoyed as there was plenty creativity in the quest and the enemies though we didnt get a new damage spell witch i was really hoping for.
azteca was just a bore and annoying at almost all times and half the time i was wondering, well what do i need to do this for i thought i was saving azteca from a meteor and stopping morganith.

i guess i must be extremlly lucky to have stumbled upon 2 potent traps while i was simply questing through azteca but i have found that my main problem is the turquiose as i hated all the bosses in azteca and i dont want to farm a boss ten to twenty times for 6 turquiose.

so yes i agree as well that the fun and magic is gone.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
I sadly to agree. I have a few other onlile game including pirate101, and wow. Wizard 101 was my first online game. It was a game that was like nothing else, I saw the commercials on tv but never got the game. Until a few years ago. When I got it, it was amazing. After a year or two i got to Celestia and, it did go a little down hill. I can't say the worlds since has ruined the game, because i am going to keep playing. I don't know what made it bad but if i hadnt played this game before and someone let me played Marleybone and then Celestia besides the graphics, it wouldnt seem like the same game. I think one of things is it wasnt as impressive it should get better and better but it didnt. Another thing is it is so hard to take a boss on by yourself that is double or triple your health limit. Honestly if kingsile just made a update to the game adjusting the difficulty. Now i really hope Kingsile does this because I dont want the game to go under and be forgotten. Please do this KIngsile, the ideas are amazing, but difficuly is not. I mean you have to be all technical with what your going to wear for your stats. To me that is not acceptiable!

Survivor
Apr 26, 2011
I disagree strongly When i read what you said about the game losing it's "magic" i was like Kingsisle is just trying to make the game a challenge for the wizards who feel that it is possible to do the impossible. I think Kingsisle is doing an awesome job.

RachelSpellCaster level 38

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
Malistaire Fan101 on May 12, 2013 wrote:
I disagree strongly When i read what you said about the game losing it's "magic" i was like Kingsisle is just trying to make the game a challenge for the wizards who feel that it is possible to do the impossible. I think Kingsisle is doing an awesome job.

You just proved the point of the post "the magic is gone". You are still at the point where the story line is engaging and impressive. Get to Azteca and lets see if this game is just as fun.
Personally for me the first arc was annoying. I'm not a fan of reading the story line or engaging in the game that much so I probably missed the best parts but oh well. However, I do believe that by the time of Azteca you totally loose interest and motivation to continue playing. So glad my membership expires next month and am too cheap to pay for one again.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009

for people who think that way, lower level gear and weak pet enough said.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012

Better go read the OP. This discussion is primarly comparing first arc worlds to second arc. Not sure how you can strongly disagree at level 38. (second arc worlds being discussed are Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, and Azteca.)

Celestia was defintely different, and I found some aspects frustrating. But I didn't recognize the overall shifts until I was in Zafaria. Complete lack of reasonable story and meaningless quests. Repetition Repetition Repetition Repetition. Other than greast graphics creativity was lost). I liked Avalon, but many players struggle.

Azteca introduced a whole new experience. No longer can you battle with complete strangers and expect to win. If you make a mistake, you lose. Strategy is required. Many dungeons become (argueably) impossible solo, so you need friends or henchmen (especially after Alto Alto). Personally I just wanted to sit back and let the big comet hit Azteca and be done with it. I grew no attachments to anybody there. As long as Penny Dreadful is safe in WC everything is okay.

On a few occasions Morganthe asked me to join her and I wanted to!!! She is the only exciting character in all the worlds of the second arc!!!

Happy Wizarding!

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
I remember back in Krokotopia with the puzzles and the bosses, that was the fun days. Malistare was challenging, but didn't cheat = a fun challenge cheating bosses have become mandatory= not so fun. When they brought in the cheating bosses and made them an option I am finding now more and more cheating bosses have become mandatory to move on to the next section of a world. I want to start off by saying I still love this game, but the cheating bosses have made the game less enjoyable. I love to solo the game and I love a challenge. One of the greatest things about this game is they actually listen to their players. High level bosses are a fun challenge, but there is a difference in between a challenge and cheating bosses. Removing them from the game will make it more fun again. If this continues into Azteca I don't see my self continuing in the game and spending my money here. I like to play not feel like I need to complete an annoying chore. I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way. I really hope KI considers changing some things around (removing cheating bosses). I see in the near future more and more people quitting due to this annoying feature. Towers are fun on their own, add the cheating bosses at the top is not fun.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I think difficulty in the game and "feeling the magic" are closely intertwined in W101. Its silly not to talk about one without the other. All of us felt that magic in the air when you can manage to smell the flowers by the wayside and read Malistaire's storybook in one hand while the other is keeping enemies at bay with a simple wave of the wrist. Its intoxicating to be powerful, a deadly virtual trap.

Back then, because it is an easy 1st arc, Ones "magic" rely heavily in harnessing the waterworks gear. Having It equates to an automatic win. Unfortunately, this is one of the greatest illusion if not mistake of W101.Not only did it rob the game of creativity, it also eliminated the "need" to do other key elements of the game like gardening, crafting, pet training or hatching. Why bother at all? they are time-consuming, underwhelming even boring to worry about early in the game. Malistaire can be beaten without doing any of them.

Enter 2nd arc. Still infatuated with the promise of greatness without doing much. Wizards expected to crush everything without lifting a finger. W101 evolved and change but not stubborn players. KI yielded and nerfed most the worlds bosses and reduced defeat and collect quests but we want more. We are slowly winning the game by our own cheat, a powerful no-pip required AoE spell called complaining.

Magic is always present to players with a pinch of persistence. The need to explore and satisfy ones curiosity when figuring out a cheating boss, fine tuning your deck strategy, harvesting that last amber or finally having that rare drop fm a boss you fought for the nth time is reward in itself. The real value is in the journey, not the destination. But to a faulty player who thinks otherwise & looses a lot, magic is nil. Azteca's somber ending is one of the best yet. Morganthe and Undying Malistaire's return is still unfolding. Crowns? you dont need them if you plan ahead and know what you are doing.