Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Random Friend Requests

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Noob Question...random friend requests... what do they mean?

Friend requests, mostly in Wizard City but other worlds too. People asking to be my friend without any prior conversation or activities. Complete 100% strangers. Often as I am running down a street or going through passageway from one street to another. Often in the bazaar. Usually from level1-15 wizards, but not uncommon for level 20-40 wizards too.

Many people are actually clicking on my mounted character as its flying by at full speed and making a friend request.

--> I am very familiar with the disable friend request option. I'm not asking how to prevent it. I want to know why it happens so often. Who are these people? What do they want?

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
Survivor
Jun 13, 2010
All they want is free Tc, i hate it to really annoys me

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
RottenHeart on Mar 1, 2013 wrote:

Friend requests, mostly in Wizard City but other worlds too. People asking to be my friend without any prior conversation or activities. Complete 100% strangers. Often as I am running down a street or going through passageway from one street to another. Often in the bazaar. Usually from level1-15 wizards, but not uncommon for level 20-40 wizards too.

Many people are actually clicking on my mounted character as its flying by at full speed and making a friend request.

--> I am very familiar with the disable friend request option. I'm not asking how to prevent it. I want to know why it happens so often. Who are these people? What do they want?
It happens to a lot of us( including myself). Most of the time it's because they want to ride on some cool mount you got or they want you to take them somewhere they can't go yet or they want a friend who will go to help them whenever they need it( like your their personal helper monkey). Anyway, those are some of the main reason that people want to be friends with random people. Oh, I almost forgot, they will also send you random friend requests when they want something from the crown shop. A person with a skyvern should be able to ride around in wizard city without getting random friend requests, right?

Erica ShadowRunner lvl 86 Balance~ over and out

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
They want to get gifted stuff or force us to help them into their Free to Play quests.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
These are people who maybe like your mount or cloths or maybe your level.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
What these individuals want is a person who is powerful. I have hit the max level and I now turn my friend requests on because how many people wish to be my friend now. They don't know anything about me in the slightest and that is what is bothersome. It seems as if they are saying, I don't care about your personality, I only care about your power and wealth. In reality, I'd rather have a friend on there that I can talk to and enjoy myself, than one who constantly asks for help or gifts.
~Shannon Skybreaker

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
IMO many of the random friend requests come from young children.

A few years ago, when my niece was eight or nine years old, she would play Wizard101. One day as I walked past the computer I seen her randomly clicking on people and sending friend requests. When I asked her why, she simply said, I want friends. In her mind, that was the way of making friends on game. I did explain to her that some people didn't like getting requests from people they don't know. My niece, being the stubborn child she is, probably didn't listen.

I have noticed many of the younger kids just want to see what is out there in the spiral. Questing is of little importance to them. They join battles because they think they are being helpful, not malicious.

Granted, there are some that are malicious. IMO, those are not the real young kids. Those are the preteen kids who may be an innocent angel at home, yet turn into a monster when dealing with faceless people.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 90 Life

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
Hannah Lifebringer on Mar 3, 2013 wrote:
IMO many of the random friend requests come from young children.

A few years ago, when my niece was eight or nine years old, she would play Wizard101. One day as I walked past the computer I seen her randomly clicking on people and sending friend requests. When I asked her why, she simply said, I want friends. In her mind, that was the way of making friends on game. I did explain to her that some people didn't like getting requests from people they don't know. My niece, being the stubborn child she is, probably didn't listen.

I have noticed many of the younger kids just want to see what is out there in the spiral. Questing is of little importance to them. They join battles because they think they are being helpful, not malicious.

Granted, there are some that are malicious. IMO, those are not the real young kids. Those are the preteen kids who may be an innocent angel at home, yet turn into a monster when dealing with faceless people.

Correct me if im wrong but are you saying that most kids don't quest on the game, instead we just want to see the game? I remember about 3 years ago, when I was a little kid, I loved questing to get to the worlds ahead and I most certainly did not ask people for random friend requests. I may have done it once or twice but it never hurt anyone. I hope you aren't saying that ALL kids are like the ones you described. I for don't act like this.

(dont let my high lvl fool you, I'm still a kid who just plays a lot)

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
They most likely want to add you for free treasure cards, gifts, or they are just stalkers.

Explorer
Feb 27, 2011
If you are a high level a lot of wizards want to be friends with you. Even level 10, level 1 always want to friend you.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
The Dream Eater Pr... on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
Correct me if im wrong but are you saying that most kids don't quest on the game, instead we just want to see the game? I remember about 3 years ago, when I was a little kid, I loved questing to get to the worlds ahead and I most certainly did not ask people for random friend requests. I may have done it once or twice but it never hurt anyone. I hope you aren't saying that ALL kids are like the ones you described. I for don't act like this.

(dont let my high lvl fool you, I'm still a kid who just plays a lot)
I did not mean to offend you or anyone else. Some kids, like my niece, don't enjoy questing, yet wants to see the game. Yet, my nephew who is younger, and more patient does the quests so he can get to higher worlds.

I also refuse to think that ALL the people who send out random friend requests are being malicious or wants something from others.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2013
Shy girl on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
If you are a high level a lot of wizards want to be friends with you. Even level 10, level 1 always want to friend you.
I agree and I think it also applies with being a member too.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 1, 2013 wrote:

I get friend requests from people out of the blue as well. Half of the time people who do request me as a friend, ask me to teleport to them to help them. Honestly, I have no problem with helping them out. The younger level people also do have less then 900 health so they often request you as a friend because you're a higher level and they look up to you as helping them out with quests.

Another reason is they either think your Wizard looks cool or is a high level. Barely, they just want gifted.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Sometimes menu chatters will friend people then ask them for help.

Also some people just want a full friends list today, and want to meet the people another time.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2011
They want to be your friend, because you are a high level, and probably cooler than they will ever be, also it may be because you have cool clothes, perhaps, or the biggest reason of all is they want you to gift them something.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
All they want is your tc Rotten! Run Rotten run! Anyways I get a lot of requests and when they ask for gifts/tc I usually delete them. I like the people I actually get to meet thank you very much. Best of luck with the friends thing Rotten.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade