Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 11-16-12

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi Wizards! It's been an exciting week - the Azteca update has hit Live servers and we're thrilled to share it with everyone! In other news, another week has come to a close and it's time for Feedback Friday. That's pretty exciting too!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Here in Austin, we're all a-buzz with the Circuit of the Americas - the first F1 race in the U.S. in 5 years is happening this weekend just on the other side of town from the KingsIsle Offices. It's all very exciting! In Ravenwood, one of our favorite spectator sports is PvP. So, inquiring minds want to know: do you spectate PvP matches? If so, how could we improve your spectating experience? If not, what could we do to make you interested in spectating?

Due to the holiday next week, we will be spending time with our families for the Thanksgiving break starting Thursday, so this Feedback Friday will run for 2 weeks. We'll put up a new topic for discussion on Nov. 30th. Have a wonderful weekend, and a happy Thanksgiving for those Wizards who celebrate!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Well you could have a players level displayed on the menu when browsing PVP matches, so we dont wast time scanning them. You could also show matches that have been created but do not yet help all the players.

In actual matches there could be an interactable object in each arena that lets us look at the match through the camera the people fighting see it through. moving your character would disengage so you could go back to watching the old fasoned way. I reccomend making it look like one of those coin operated pairs of binoculars, only you wouldnt have to pay.

To name something a little more specific, spectators in the Avalon themed arena appear too far away from the duel circle and could miss a lot while walking there, so you should simply have them be right outside the "fence" when they come in.

Speaking of looking at PVP, could you make it so people cant see our PVP history by clicking on us. I'm worried people might be judging me by the number of matches I've lost.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
I do on occasion spectate PvP, however not as much as I used to. WAYYYYYYY back when the game first came out everyone just ran into a battle circle and the duel began (yeah, I've been playing that long.), and everyone was free to run around and watch it. While I love the not-so-new PvP system the problem I run into is that I can't really get a good view of the action.

I think it would make the experience better if players were allowed to get closer to the duel, of if something like a sigil were placed around the spectator's area that would let us view the battle as if we were actually participating in it our selves.

That just this wizards oppinion though.

- Eric EmeraldLeaf

Explorer
Jul 23, 2012
I would like to see matches like when you are in them. For example, ice whyren spell looks better when in the battle with the close ups if the spikes and stuff. Also, i would want to see the health of the people. It would also be cool if you could see the next spell being cast by people, but that could cause problems in pvp (and there are plenty now) with people spying on the other team and telling their friends team or their team(if they had multiple accounts).

Administrator
To those of you who feel it necessary to attack Professor Falmea about PvP, note that your post was not approved.
As we have repeatedly stated we are well aware of that state of PvP in our game and are assessing what changes we will be making in the future. This is not the forum for that discussion at this time.

We're open to hearing what you have to say and having a discussion about it, but we have a policy of not responding to people who take a malicious approach to conversation. If you'd like to try again with a kinder approach, feel free to post another message.

community@wizard101.com
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I have never just watched a match, and have only participated a few times on my Ice wizard. PvP does not interest me at all. sorry!

Survivor
Aug 18, 2010
I agree with the general idea of making some sort of a sigil so that we can see the game as if we were actually in it... outside it's really hard to see exactly what charms and wards are being put up and such, not to mention the animations are not as cool looking (like the previous example of the Ice Wyvern spell).

Survivor
Aug 18, 2010
Sorry, about having two posts, but I just remembered something else. One time (I forget why), I was messing around on the Wizard101 UK site, and I realized that they have a top 100 (or something like that) PvP list. I loved it and I don't understand why we don't have it over here. Then people could have favorite wizards and possibly even watch scheduled matches (like the tournaments on Wizard101Central). Right now the only way for a wizard to get famous is on Youtube.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
Just want to add a couple of thing i left out in my earlier post.

The "Ranked Match" PvP system is very confusing and quite frankly frustrating! I think touching it up a bit would be a great benefit! I just don't understand the point behind making it differ so much from the "Practice Match" interface, I enjoy that because it is simple and effective.

Maybe I'm missing a problem Kingsise is trying to fix? I'm not sure what is up with it. A little explaining and some insight to the point of it might help me out.

- Eric EmeraldLeaf.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
I don't really PvP much as i am always busy questing. but i don't have many complaints other than it would be nice to get a close up to the action for better viewing, spectating can get a bit boring not being able to see the health or the damage and it'd be nice seeing the animations up close.

Thanks.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2011
Hi Prof. Falmea, thx for this question!

I am a regular in PvP, and tend to spectate many matches during the week. Generally I have no issues when it comes to watching from the stands...it's a fun scene to watch and be a part of.

One thing that comes to mind: sometimes matches can end very suddently (either because of the type of spells being used, or because people flee/disconnect) and it can be difficult to determine who the winner was. It might be nice if spectators could see some sort of graphic indicating which side won the match. Not sure what specifically this could be, but just some sort of effect that let's people in the stands know the victor.

Also, the more hall monitors the better! That has been, by far, one of my favorite additions to the game...the monitors really demonstrate how serious KI is about keeping the atmosphere safe and friendly for all players. I'm not sure the number of monitors currently in PvP, and if it's possible to increase that number, but they're a welcome presence, and it would be nice to see as many monitors as possible keeping an eye on PvP matches. I see inappropriate language fairly often (arena is a competitive environment and obviously leads to short tempers), so more monitors would be great, if that is possible. If not, I'll just continue to use the report button.

Thx again, your dedication to PvP is much appreciated.

IriG

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
When I'm in a watching mood, I need to do 3 things:
1) Choose an interesting game
2) Get a feel for the equipment / school / deck setup for both sides
3) See the actual card play unfold as both sides react to the changing damage and pip situation.

When choosing an interesting game
- I like to see how balanced the opponents are. If you could see win-from-1st and win-from-2nd stats on each side, this would help.
- I often will look for "known" teams, especially if the duel is a puppet duel against some of the very solid, pure mid-level teams. I've seen huge crowds at the "Knights that Say NI" duels, where you will often get exciting games, with good play, in difficult situations.

Getting a feel for the "gear"
- Learning / seeing the pet talents is huge from a self improvement point-of-view. Sure, lots of SPUD pets rule the arena, but it's interesting to see alternative pet configurations and how that influences the deck setup.
- Frankly, the wizard gear setups are boring now, given all the emphasis on resistance, critical block, and healing boost. Nowadays, It's more the surprise factor of "OMG what crown pack" gives you the new shiny, uber-wand or gear item.

Seeing the actual card play
- I'd really like to have a view that kept the countdown view through the entire round and added the actual card that was queued for each wizard -- think about the view someone has when they are beguiled. I can actually see the other team's card selection.
- I'd also like to see the card discarded, for both main deck and TCs. It's often just as important what was discarded, as it is what actually was finally played.

JM2C,
- DerHund

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
DerHundErste on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
When I'm in a watching mood, I need to do 3 things:
1) Choose an interesting game
2) Get a feel for the equipment / school / deck setup for both sides
3) See the actual card play unfold as both sides react to the changing damage and pip situation.

When choosing an interesting game
- I like to see how balanced the opponents are. If you could see win-from-1st and win-from-2nd stats on each side, this would help.
- I often will look for "known" teams, especially if the duel is a puppet duel against some of the very solid, pure mid-level teams. I've seen huge crowds at the "Knights that Say NI" duels, where you will often get exciting games, with good play, in difficult situations.

Getting a feel for the "gear"
- Learning / seeing the pet talents is huge from a self improvement point-of-view. Sure, lots of SPUD pets rule the arena, but it's interesting to see alternative pet configurations and how that influences the deck setup.
- Frankly, the wizard gear setups are boring now, given all the emphasis on resistance, critical block, and healing boost. Nowadays, It's more the surprise factor of "OMG what crown pack" gives you the new shiny, uber-wand or gear item.

Seeing the actual card play
- I'd really like to have a view that kept the countdown view through the entire round and added the actual card that was queued for each wizard -- think about the view someone has when they are beguiled. I can actually see the other team's card selection.
- I'd also like to see the card discarded, for both main deck and TCs. It's often just as important what was discarded, as it is what actually was finally played.

JM2C,
- DerHund
I don't agree at all with spectators being able to see what card is played or discarded.
This would be abused tremendously. Why would you, as a spectator, need to know what I'm playing and discarding? So you can warn your friend what card I'm casting against him?
I'm sorry this is not a good idea, and frankly, it's no one's business but mine what card I play.
If you wanna watch, then watch. But pvpers don't need an audience of deck police taking note on their every move.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Eric the Red on Nov 19, 2012 wrote:
I don't agree at all with spectators being able to see what card is played or discarded.
This would be abused tremendously. Why would you, as a spectator, need to know what I'm playing and discarding? So you can warn your friend what card I'm casting against him?
I'm sorry this is not a good idea, and frankly, it's no one's business but mine what card I play.
If you wanna watch, then watch. But pvpers don't need an audience of deck police taking note on their every move.
I agree with this~ it's hostile, and conducive to cheating, which would only add to the growing list of problems with PvP.

Back on topic~ I don't PvP anymore, but I'll watch the occasional match if my friends invite me to do so (and even when they don't, I enjoy lurking on the sidelines!)

Explorer
Oct 01, 2010
Maybe if we had something that would give us the experience that would make us feel like we were in the battle ourselves. It would be like some sort of scope you could look through, and you could hear the special effects and music of the battle. You would also see the changing angle too. So maybe a scope stand could be placed for the spectators.

Explorer
Jul 23, 2012
I would like to have an announcer like at professional sports telling when people cast something. For example "Boris casted storm lord." But it could get annoying so there would have to be a turn off feature.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
Eric the Red on Nov 19, 2012 wrote:
It could be used if there was a time delay lag, like in sports. :)

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Professor Falmea on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:
Hi Wizards! It's been an exciting week - the Azteca update has hit Live servers and we're thrilled to share it with everyone! In other news, another week has come to a close and it's time for Feedback Friday. That's pretty exciting too!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Here in Austin, we're all a-buzz with the Circuit of the Americas - the first F1 race in the U.S. in 5 years is happening this weekend just on the other side of town from the KingsIsle Offices. It's all very exciting! In Ravenwood, one of our favorite spectator sports is PvP. So, inquiring minds want to know: do you spectate PvP matches? If so, how could we improve your spectating experience? If not, what could we do to make you interested in spectating?

Due to the holiday next week, we will be spending time with our families for the Thanksgiving break starting Thursday, so this Feedback Friday will run for 2 weeks. We'll put up a new topic for discussion on Nov. 30th. Have a wonderful weekend, and a happy Thanksgiving for those Wizards who celebrate!
Add binoculars to the bleachers. The way they would work, is you go up to them and press "X" or click on the binoculars. After you do, you view the battle just like you were in the battle. You see everyone's health points at the top or bottom, but you can't see the spells they choose. When the wizards cast, you see the zoom on the wizard casting (like the people battling do). Then you see the spell cast, along with its normal animation in the battle. You can press "esc" or click an "X" to exit anytime and multiple people can use a set of binoculars. I get so sick of when you can't see certain spells casting.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
Scarlet M4H on Nov 21, 2012 wrote:
It could be used if there was a time delay lag, like in sports. :)
Other PvP games have this kind of "Tournament View" with a time delay. Make the delay a turn or two, so that even if someone is sitting in the same room with two different accounts they will gain nothing. On the positive side, this would help those who want to learn how to duel and would add a nice flavor to watching a duel between two skilled players.

The actual gear could be shown at the end of the duel, in click-thru detail windows for the selected wizard.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
There should be a sit down button while you watch PVP. You dont watch sports while standing up, so why should we stand up while watching matches.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2009
Professor Falmea on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:

I don't do pvp because when people find out that I am life they try to get rid of me as soon as possible as a group ( this happens in group pvp duels). My attacks are not very strong compare to the other schools. I have never seen life do 20,000 damage or something within that range like a storm person would do for example.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
I think it would help while spectating pvp matches to see the players life above their head and how much a spell damage does when they get attacked.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2009
Wizard101 will forever and always be the best :D

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback folks! We've been tossing around some of these ideas but definitely have some new ideas to discuss for the future. And yes, this feedback was simply on the SPECTATOR system, not PVP in general - there are a LOT of other threads for that, so thanks to all of you who stuck to the topic.

New Feedback Friday coming up in moments!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea