Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Hatching, I just don;t get it...

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I have seen similar grumbling on the forums and now I have a better understanding.

At level 48 I got my school quest pet, the Wraith. Through multiple hatchings I bred a really good wraith. But my ultimate goal is to hatch a specific hybrid with another level 48 school pet.

Each time I hatch it costs me 40,000 gold. I hatch using Adult or Ancient pets that took signficant time for training, and gold to purchase snacks. I had cross bred with my adult Ghost Dragon to improve the talents. The cost in hatching alone has been well over 200,000 gold. I still haven't achieved what I want and I'm almost level 58. Time for the next school quest pet, so I no longer care. So what was the point? My pet has good talents (for a pet) but really its just a fun decoration that follows me around.

And the real kicker that makes no sense at all: I can sell these pets for only 500 gold? And whats really odd: it doesn't matter whether I'm selling an unhatched egg or an ancient pet with fantastic pedigree and talents, it still sells for 500 gold. A crumby pair of boots sells for more!

End of Grumbling.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
RottenHeart on Nov 3, 2012 wrote:
I have seen similar grumbling on the forums and now I have a better understanding.

At level 48 I got my school quest pet, the Wraith. Through multiple hatchings I bred a really good wraith. But my ultimate goal is to hatch a specific hybrid with another level 48 school pet.

Each time I hatch it costs me 40,000 gold. I hatch using Adult or Ancient pets that took signficant time for training, and gold to purchase snacks. I had cross bred with my adult Ghost Dragon to improve the talents. The cost in hatching alone has been well over 200,000 gold. I still haven't achieved what I want and I'm almost level 58. Time for the next school quest pet, so I no longer care. So what was the point? My pet has good talents (for a pet) but really its just a fun decoration that follows me around.

And the real kicker that makes no sense at all: I can sell these pets for only 500 gold? And whats really odd: it doesn't matter whether I'm selling an unhatched egg or an ancient pet with fantastic pedigree and talents, it still sells for 500 gold. A crumby pair of boots sells for more!

End of Grumbling.
Do not overlook gardening, it helps in providing gold and mega pet snacks (prickly bear cactus/couch potato) and cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time everyday. At your level, start doing artisan quests, its the WT crafted gear (if not WW gear) that will help you at your current level. Spend gold for hatching/training after equipping the proper gears so you'll really see what pet talents you need.

Archmages
R. Lionhand
F. Stardust
J. Winterbane
Brahm "finally can cast Deer Knight Spell"

Explorer
Aug 21, 2009
I myself consider that Training a Pet takes effort and dedication.

I have only focused on ONE Pet to be my main one. I do get other Pets and Train them to Adult or Ancient but is just for the fun of it and because I am able to at the moment.

I NEVER use Hatching as a way of getting New Talents. I only use it to "multiply" my Sea Dragon. As you know, the Sea Dragon is the most expensive Pet on the Crown Shop. I Hatch with other "Real Life Friends" so they can get it and they pay me with a Card or sometimes just 5 Bucks.

Training a Pet is really hard work. I do not think that School specific Pets are all that good and you should not Train those kind of Pets (IMO) unless you have maxed out Experience and there is not another World on the run. Right now, I'm Training my Sea Dragon to Mega before Azteca comes out.

Another thing is that the Talents are also randomized (Which I really dislike). People work really hard to Train their Pets and suddenly the Talent they get is not what they wanted. My Pet has amazing Talents, but I am so scared that when he reaches Mega it will get a useless Talent (I want Spell-Proof xD).

If you're gonna Train Pets, do it because you're bored and have the money. But try focusing on only ONE Pet.

That is just MY opinion. Others may disagree with me and that's ok.

Happy Training.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
yeah i hear ya with the sales thing. Wasnt greyrose just on another thread talking about economics is why hatching costs so much so wouldnt economy play a part in sales too.

I get very frustrated with pets but they do help you out so i keep grinding on. Getting to mega is the thorn for me i always stop at epic. Takes way to long and costs way to much to get to mega and end up getting a +10 pet strength out of it lol.

I feel when you get a pet to epic or mega you should be allowed to choose the talent out of available talents for that pet. You worked that hard you deserve the good talent. The way it is now is just another way of teaching kids how to gamble.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Well I am the happiest wizard in the spiral now!

I finally got my desired level 48 school pet hybrid (Reaper) I was hoping for. I just successfully re-hatched the Reaper with my Ghost Dragon to help drive out the Balance school talents it inherited. My Reaper now has pedigree of 64 (level 48 school pets have pedigree of 52) with good Death school talents.

I must admit that though it was a frustrating process the final satisfaction of having a fairly unique, cool lokking, usefull, well talented pet is nice. I can understand why school hybrid pets are rare to see: hard to hatch and they end up with off-school talents requiring further refinement.

I think i deserve a special badge!

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
RottenHeart on Nov 8, 2012 wrote:
Well I am the happiest wizard in the spiral now!

I finally got my desired level 48 school pet hybrid (Reaper) I was hoping for. I just successfully re-hatched the Reaper with my Ghost Dragon to help drive out the Balance school talents it inherited. My Reaper now has pedigree of 64 (level 48 school pets have pedigree of 52) with good Death school talents.

I must admit that though it was a frustrating process the final satisfaction of having a fairly unique, cool lokking, usefull, well talented pet is nice. I can understand why school hybrid pets are rare to see: hard to hatch and they end up with off-school talents requiring further refinement.

I think i deserve a special badge!
care to share the talents ? congrats btw

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
It's all a gamble as lastdaysgunslinger said, this is just for a bit of fun, it may have taken you a while but you had fun doing that didn't you? after all it's just a game. that's about all i have to say

have fun