Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lower levels deserve access to crafted spells.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
I could care less about the correct definition argument. I do care about the game and fairness though. The current setup is unfair to low level crafters and should be changed. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Well said. There is a difference in "requirement" vs. "road-block" as Mental clearly illustrated, but you have an excellent point. The bigger issue is certainly that low-level crafters are being slighted, even though they met the same requirements as crafters who simply participated in pve progression. You are are correct. It is wrong no matter how anyone defines it.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
seethe42 on Nov 19, 2015 wrote:
You didn't look very hard. The prerequisite quests for Drum a Little Drum (the Legendary Artisan quest) are completion of The Seven Seas Show (Grandmaster Artisan) and To Market, To Market (in the opening story quest line in Zafaria). It's incidental that you must be level 55 to begin Zafaria. The fact that you must be 55 to begin a required prerequisite for the Crafting level makes it a requirement. It's no different than college course requirements. A math course might list Pre-Calc as a requirement but not list Algebra. You must complete Algebra to take the Pre-Calc course, therefore Algebra is also a defacto requirement even though it's not listed. It's understood.
"A "requirement" is something that is clearly defined/written, while a "road-block" is simply something that prevents access, and is not defined. "

I clearly listed the criteria for being a requirement. It has to be clearly written, not understood. By your own argument you have just proven yourself wrong. This is something I deal with on a daily basis. The argument can be re-worded as many times as you like, but the answer is still the same.

Defender
May 23, 2009
Pumpkin Wizard on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
In your analogy with the sword smith I have realized something, when you say
A child can pick up and use a sword, only a master sword smith after years of training can MAKE one.
but there is something you don't realize, the children picking up the swords are the people that use treasure cards in pvp, but there are kids that DO have the spells learned in their spell books and those are the ones with money to buy packs or high level people to boost them through lore master. So I feel like if kingsisle made it so lower levels could craft in Zafaria it would create an alternate route in which wizards who don't have crowns or high level friends willing to do loremaster can learn their spells. this will balance out pvp, I got a loremaster spell on my level 10 and I know that some people doing PvP at my level don't have it within their power to gain them. Yes I know team up exists but usually when I did team up with loremaster rather then doing it with friends people left when they saw my level because they thought I would drag down the team. So you do have to have good friends to help you get those spells. I know there are wizards out there doing PvP wishing they could have a loremaster spell just like I do, and frankly I think they deserve a way to get their own, this way is crafting.
Thanks for clarifying your point. This reminds me years ago when my death was around level 20 at the time and I got the crafted deer knight spell and the handsome fomori just a few packs later as permanent drops from knight's lore. I simply thought it was just a lucky moment. Particularly, had I not gotten deer knight at the time, I would eventually craft it anyway as I have craft crafted spells with my other wizards (after fulfilling the requirements.) Personally, I don't think the crafting requirements should be changed (the more challenge the better.) Unless you have a different idea to how lower level wizards "who don't have have crowns" etc. by your conditions can access these spells not related to crafting.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mental Void on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
"A "requirement" is something that is clearly defined/written, while a "road-block" is simply something that prevents access, and is not defined. "

I clearly listed the criteria for being a requirement. It has to be clearly written, not understood. By your own argument you have just proven yourself wrong. This is something I deal with on a daily basis. The argument can be re-worded as many times as you like, but the answer is still the same.
This is a completely false assumption on your part though. A requirement for a requirement IS a defacto requirement and is clearly written. You must be 16 to have a valid driver's license, therefore anything requiring a valid driver's license also requires you to be 16 without specifically stating the age requirement. It's not rewording anything, it's stating the facts.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Pumpkin Wizard on Nov 10, 2015 wrote:
Ok I recently had a character who leveled up all the way to Dragonspyre in crafting. Then recently (I understand this post is a bit late) I found out you need to complete the Zafaria crafting quest. My character is level seven and I want the spells to PvP with at level 15 so it is not possible for me to level. Low levels crafting Higher Ranked spells is not cheap, I know from experience it is a lot of hard work, in fact I found it harder because you don't have creatures that drop higher rank reagents available to you. It took a lot of time (and some crowns) to get my character to Dragonspyre crafting. I believe you should remove the side quest not allowing people to talk the the lion (forgot his name) that gives the quest for the crafting badge. If you have done that quest you know it is a struggle, so it shouldn't matter what level you are, if you put in the hard work to get to that point you deserve the spel, weather your level 7 or level 100. As long as you collected all those fossils and sunstone you deserve the badge, so please Kingsisle change this.
Just open card packs in the Crowns Shop if you're not satisfied. You might get the spell you want.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2011
eSnowFrost on Nov 22, 2015 wrote:
Just open card packs in the Crowns Shop if you're not satisfied. You might get the spell you want.
I understand that you are able to do this but kingsisle should allow players without crowns to be able to get the spells too! This would make wizard less of a pay-to-win game which I am sure everyone agrees would make the community happy.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Pumpkin Wizard on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
I understand that you are able to do this but kingsisle should allow players without crowns to be able to get the spells too! This would make wizard less of a pay-to-win game which I am sure everyone agrees would make the community happy.
Kingsisle allows players without Crowns the ability to get the spells. Simply proceed through normal channels... that is, complete the requirements (some would incorrectly refer to these as "unfair roadblocks") to reach the correct level to be able to craft the spells. Or you can make repeated trips to the Loremaster with the hope of getting the spell you want. Or you can use TCs. You don't have to spend a dime.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
TucsonWizard on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
Kingsisle allows players without Crowns the ability to get the spells. Simply proceed through normal channels... that is, complete the requirements (some would incorrectly refer to these as "unfair roadblocks") to reach the correct level to be able to craft the spells. Or you can make repeated trips to the Loremaster with the hope of getting the spell you want. Or you can use TCs. You don't have to spend a dime.
You are wrong. Pointing out that an "unfair roadblock" exists in the game, when crafters have met the exact same requirements, but are unable to craft the spell due an undefined condition, is not incorrect. Toss opinions about as often as you like, but this is based on fact, not opinion.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Intrepidatius on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
You are wrong. Pointing out that an "unfair roadblock" exists in the game, when crafters have met the exact same requirements, but are unable to craft the spell due an undefined condition, is not incorrect. Toss opinions about as often as you like, but this is based on fact, not opinion.
Fact: in order to craft the spells in question one must achieve the title of Legendary Artisan.
Fact: in order to gain the title, one must complete the prerequisite tasks, gain the lesser crafting levels, and have access to the necessary areas.
Fact: if you haven't done all of the above then you haven't "met the exact same requirements".
Fact, not opinion. If people would use the energy it takes whining about how "unfair" things are and channel it into actually playing the game, like everyone before them has, they'd be much closer to gaining what it is they want in the first place. The undefined condition argument is moot. An undefined condition in this case would be something like.... oh yeah, we forgot to mention that in order to craft these spells you have to have in your possession Nimrod's Boots of Never-ending Springiness. And you can only get those during Halloween week and only on a Wednesday. That would be an "unfair roadblock" because, one, it would be unexpected and two, it may or may not be immediately doable. But that's not the case. Everything necessary to complete the requirements to craft these spells is clearly laid out. The level requirement is indicated right there on the spell recipe. Seethe summed it up perfectly with his mathematics analogy. In order to take a math course, Pre-Calculus might be a requirement. The fact that Algebra is required prior to taking Pre-Calculus is not specifically mentioned because it's part of the normal progression. You don't go right from crawling to running a marathon... somewhere in the middle you have to learn to walk.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
If you want the spells, then level up through pve progression to earn your right to craft them. I DO NOT believe that baby wizards, especially those in pvp, should have access to anything above what they should have at their level. If you want them so bad, then get the TC, farm Loremaster, or open packs.

If you find it hard to pvp at your level because you don't have special stuff because you didn't earn it, then LEVEL UP. This game is about the pve progression, not pvp. All of my wizards are First Age warlords or commanders. I refused to pvp in Second Age or Third Age, because of players like you that want something they, honestly, don't deserve to get, instead of actually learning how to use their school skills.

I earned all my spells by crafting at the appropriate pve progression in the game, so why can't you?

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 16, 2015 wrote:
If you want the spells, then level up through pve progression to earn your right to craft them. I DO NOT believe that baby wizards, especially those in pvp, should have access to anything above what they should have at their level. If you want them so bad, then get the TC, farm Loremaster, or open packs.

If you find it hard to pvp at your level because you don't have special stuff because you didn't earn it, then LEVEL UP. This game is about the pve progression, not pvp. All of my wizards are First Age warlords or commanders. I refused to pvp in Second Age or Third Age, because of players like you that want something they, honestly, don't deserve to get, instead of actually learning how to use their school skills.

I earned all my spells by crafting at the appropriate pve progression in the game, so why can't you?
Your post makes no sense. This is about someone who has earned the right to craft the spells. They have met the requirements defined by KI. There is nothing listed in crafting as a requirement of pve progression. It is simply a road block in the way, not a requirement. Also having pve tied to crafting is in itself a bad judgement call. Other games are getting away from this as well. Next time try and understand the point of the post before you argue on a topic you clearly don't understand.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
TucsonWizard on Dec 15, 2015 wrote:
Fact: in order to craft the spells in question one must achieve the title of Legendary Artisan.
Fact: in order to gain the title, one must complete the prerequisite tasks, gain the lesser crafting levels, and have access to the necessary areas.
Fact: if you haven't done all of the above then you haven't "met the exact same requirements".
Fact, not opinion. If people would use the energy it takes whining about how "unfair" things are and channel it into actually playing the game, like everyone before them has, they'd be much closer to gaining what it is they want in the first place. The undefined condition argument is moot. An undefined condition in this case would be something like.... oh yeah, we forgot to mention that in order to craft these spells you have to have in your possession Nimrod's Boots of Never-ending Springiness. And you can only get those during Halloween week and only on a Wednesday. That would be an "unfair roadblock" because, one, it would be unexpected and two, it may or may not be immediately doable. But that's not the case. Everything necessary to complete the requirements to craft these spells is clearly laid out. The level requirement is indicated right there on the spell recipe. Seethe summed it up perfectly with his mathematics analogy. In order to take a math course, Pre-Calculus might be a requirement. The fact that Algebra is required prior to taking Pre-Calculus is not specifically mentioned because it's part of the normal progression. You don't go right from crawling to running a marathon... somewhere in the middle you have to learn to walk.
You are wrong. You are trying to make up a requirement where none exists to advance your weak argument. You can choose to like, or not like the subject all you want, but to continue arguing over something that has been clearly defined, makes you look foolish. Try another weak rebuttal, but I will not respond to any more nonsense from you on this post. Have a Merry Christmas though :)

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Intrepidatius on Dec 17, 2015 wrote:
You are wrong. You are trying to make up a requirement where none exists to advance your weak argument. You can choose to like, or not like the subject all you want, but to continue arguing over something that has been clearly defined, makes you look foolish. Try another weak rebuttal, but I will not respond to any more nonsense from you on this post. Have a Merry Christmas though :)
This is not a case of anyone being right or wrong... it's simply a matter of how things work within the parameters of the game mechanic. Because I see things for what they are does not make me wrong any more than seeing phantom "roadblocks" makes you right. The rules are the rules. You choose to think the rules are unfair. I see them as a perfectly acceptable method of maintaining balance in the game. It's as simple as that. But I appreciate that you have an opinion no matter how illogical and single-minded it might be.
Merry Christmas to you as well!
And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all other residents of the Spiral!

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
I have already addressed this issue, but it's apparent I wasn't thorough enough from some of the responses. Allow me to illustrate better. We live in a very complex society, and to make it work we are defined by very exacting rules, definitions, laws, etc. A good example that relates to this thread is the term "requirement". When it comes to terms such as the aforementioned, the government, Fortune 500 companies, military, private contractors, judicial system, etc. use a very rigid system of standards that define any action they take, or do not take. A perfect example of this would be requirement. A requirement has to be clearly defined, and not inferred, understood, associated with, etc. It is also not to be confused with a pre-req which you and some others referred to. Though they are similar, they are not the same. So following this definition, unless it clearly states that crafting is tied to pve progress, then it is NOT a requirement. It would have to be defined as something else. And even a pre-req would not qualify either unless its specifically mentioned as part of the pre-req. Kudos to you, and others who tried to use this as an example, it shows you are thinking and intelligent. As I stated in my earlier post, it may very well be stated as a requirement, but I didn't find a reference.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Mental Void on Dec 17, 2015 wrote:
I have already addressed this issue, but it's apparent I wasn't thorough enough from some of the responses. Allow me to illustrate better. We live in a very complex society, and to make it work we are defined by very exacting rules, definitions, laws, etc. A good example that relates to this thread is the term "requirement". When it comes to terms such as the aforementioned, the government, Fortune 500 companies, military, private contractors, judicial system, etc. use a very rigid system of standards that define any action they take, or do not take. A perfect example of this would be requirement. A requirement has to be clearly defined, and not inferred, understood, associated with, etc. It is also not to be confused with a pre-req which you and some others referred to. Though they are similar, they are not the same. So following this definition, unless it clearly states that crafting is tied to pve progress, then it is NOT a requirement. It would have to be defined as something else. And even a pre-req would not qualify either unless its specifically mentioned as part of the pre-req. Kudos to you, and others who tried to use this as an example, it shows you are thinking and intelligent. As I stated in my earlier post, it may very well be stated as a requirement, but I didn't find a reference.
Thanks for posting this. Trying to explain logic and facts to people is becoming progressively harder each day. It's obvious some simply argue because they don't want to admit being wrong, and that doesn't even bother me. The really disturbing thing is these same people often confound and confuse the issue, causing a host of other problems for the games health.

Explorer
Dec 09, 2011
Hmm I think that the crafted spells should stay where they are.

Though what if other crafting spells were introduced

But, to make things fair I would like them to be lower pip weaker hit spells but can still help with fights (For lower badge uses)

Maybe they could add new crafting spells for everytime the player unlocks the badge.

Starting off with 2 pips for Wizard City. 2 pips for krokotopia. 3 pips for Marleybone. 4 pips for mooshu. And another 4 pips in dragonspyre. (For each spell)

One for every school.

But you can only craft them once you completed the badge quest.

That way it shows how far you went with crafting, packs, and/or farming.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
A prerequisite by definition is a requirement. A requirement that is needed to fill another requirement is also required by default. You are the one trying change the definition and narrowly define it. Job listings do not specifically state that you must have the legal right to be employed, ie. Citizenship or Work Permit, it is still a requirement for employment. Understood requirements are still requirements. You will not see any job listing that specifically require a Social Security number, but it's a requirement for every job in the US. Your narrowed interpretation doesn't alter reality. Prerequisite quests are required at all levels of crafting. They are all activated by completing certain milestone quests. Even the very first crafting quest requires PvE interaction, you must be level 2 to gain access.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Intrepidatius on Dec 17, 2015 wrote:
Your post makes no sense. This is about someone who has earned the right to craft the spells. They have met the requirements defined by KI. There is nothing listed in crafting as a requirement of pve progression. It is simply a road block in the way, not a requirement. Also having pve tied to crafting is in itself a bad judgement call. Other games are getting away from this as well. Next time try and understand the point of the post before you argue on a topic you clearly don't understand.
Then you didn't understand the original post. He wants it for extreme low-level pvp, nothing else. I still stand by my post. Pvper's will do anything to get extra in the game they may not actually need or deserve.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Believe me I'm aware of government contracts. I also work with them on a weekly basis and I know how convoluted they can be. I won't get into another argument about requirements and prerequisites because really that's not the issue here.
There is one primary point that renders this entire conversation moot and that is that this game, since its inception, is based on PvE. The questing and the combat that goes along with it are the backbone of the game. PvP was introduced somewhere around 2013 if I'm not mistaken and it, as well as everything else that's been added... Gardening, Fishing, Crafting, Pets (and everything associated with them) etc. are all in the same category... they're basically hobbies. Games within the game. They can be used to boost performance in the questing aspect of the game but they aren't a primary activity except for a select few folks who choose to dedicate their time to one or all of them. To change the rules of the game to accommodate the desires of the hobbyists is not the way to go about it. I understand that PvPers are passionate about what they do. I get it. I don't understand the allure, but I still get that it's something lots of people like to do. But the rules, requirements, prerequisites, however you prefer to reference them, have always been there. And everyone before us has been able to exist within the parameters of these rules. If things were reversed... if this game started out as a PvP game and PvE was added later as something different to do then I could understand the OPs complaint.
Take away all of these "hobbies" and the PvE aspect of the game can still be played. Take away the PvE and everything else would eventually die out. PvP might linger for a while but without a means to acquire new gear or level up or get new spells everything else would be senseless. We'd end up with nothing but a bunch of people sitting around the Commons pond on their giant mounts berating low levels... wait, we already have that.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
seethe42 on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
A prerequisite by definition is a requirement. A requirement that is needed to fill another requirement is also required by default. You are the one trying change the definition and narrowly define it. Job listings do not specifically state that you must have the legal right to be employed, ie. Citizenship or Work Permit, it is still a requirement for employment. Understood requirements are still requirements. You will not see any job listing that specifically require a Social Security number, but it's a requirement for every job in the US. Your narrowed interpretation doesn't alter reality. Prerequisite quests are required at all levels of crafting. They are all activated by completing certain milestone quests. Even the very first crafting quest requires PvE interaction, you must be level 2 to gain access.
I deal with these on a daily basis. I am defining the legal term for "requirement". It is the legal description of what is criteria, and what is not. It is obvious from your remarks, that you are using simple logic, and perhaps a dictionary term to define your point. You are trying to justify your remarks, and it doesn't work. Unless it is defined exactly as I have stated, it is NOT a requirement. Check with an attorney if you know one and let them enlighten you, since you seem oblivious to facts and criteria. Tuscon at least made a valid point, the definition is pretty much moot, since KI allows it anyway. They have just used a weak method of enforcing criteria is all. Your argument in this matter has no merit though, as your comments suggest you have no real knowledge, or dealings with this type of issue.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mental Void on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
I deal with these on a daily basis. I am defining the legal term for "requirement". It is the legal description of what is criteria, and what is not. It is obvious from your remarks, that you are using simple logic, and perhaps a dictionary term to define your point. You are trying to justify your remarks, and it doesn't work. Unless it is defined exactly as I have stated, it is NOT a requirement. Check with an attorney if you know one and let them enlighten you, since you seem oblivious to facts and criteria. Tuscon at least made a valid point, the definition is pretty much moot, since KI allows it anyway. They have just used a weak method of enforcing criteria is all. Your argument in this matter has no merit though, as your comments suggest you have no real knowledge, or dealings with this type of issue.
This is not a question of law, legality or government contracts. It doesn't require the legal definition to parse the meaning of "requirement" for a family game. You seem to skip right over the fact that this is a game and it sets the rules and requirements, not government lawyers. Your argument would have merit if we were discussing government contract law, but we are not. We are discussing the simple logic of a game's requirements and that simple logic does have merit in this type of issue.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
my whole take on this:

Would it be better for the players if we could craft the spells sooner? Yup

Do I feel that it is fair crafting a Rank 5 spell around the time we can get rank 9 spells? Nope

Will it change? Most likely not

SHOULD it change? This is the whole debate

Do I even USE those spells? Nope

Would I LIKE to craft them sooner? Sure

Is it a ROADBLOCK? Only if you feel you're being treated unfairly

Is it a REQUIREMENT? Absolutely

Can Loremaster spells be found other ways? yes

Is this a crafting issue or a failure to win at PvP issue? Failure to win at PvP

Should the crafting level be changed due to the OP not being able to win at PvP? NOPE you CHOOSE to play PvP. It's not the primary reason for the game. I'm sorry, but this should NOT be catered to. You either play within the rules and requirements they set down, or you dont play that aspect. Asking KI to nerf part of the game, to again cater to PvP, is part of the problem with why PvP is so broken. Maybe if they didnt have to nerf everything for you guys, PvP wouldnt be so broken. I wish PvP was NEVER programmed into the game. it effects, and mucks up too much of the game for such a MINOR aspect

Survivor
Oct 09, 2011
Just to clear up something that was said in one of the posts.
PVP started with the update of April 2009.
The spiral was not even a year old when it began.
I would think this to mean that Kingsisle had every intention for the game to include PVP

Survivor
Aug 25, 2011
dayerider on Dec 23, 2015 wrote:
my whole take on this:

Would it be better for the players if we could craft the spells sooner? Yup

Do I feel that it is fair crafting a Rank 5 spell around the time we can get rank 9 spells? Nope

Will it change? Most likely not

SHOULD it change? This is the whole debate

Do I even USE those spells? Nope

Would I LIKE to craft them sooner? Sure

Is it a ROADBLOCK? Only if you feel you're being treated unfairly

Is it a REQUIREMENT? Absolutely

Can Loremaster spells be found other ways? yes

Is this a crafting issue or a failure to win at PvP issue? Failure to win at PvP

Should the crafting level be changed due to the OP not being able to win at PvP? NOPE you CHOOSE to play PvP. It's not the primary reason for the game. I'm sorry, but this should NOT be catered to. You either play within the rules and requirements they set down, or you dont play that aspect. Asking KI to nerf part of the game, to again cater to PvP, is part of the problem with why PvP is so broken. Maybe if they didnt have to nerf everything for you guys, PvP wouldnt be so broken. I wish PvP was NEVER programmed into the game. it effects, and mucks up too much of the game for such a MINOR aspect
to be entirely fair, honestly I would make a death character, work very hard on him to beat zafaria crafting, and then quest with deer knight to help me get through worlds, this does not only have to do with pvp. I am suggesting that they separate content instead of linking it all together. The amount of work put into crafting should have the same result. A level 50 with loremaster? There are tons of them, most of them have hours upon hours to spend on the game, what if you are a casual player? Of course you could get lucky and get the spell on your second try or something like that, but for most casual players crafting is the much more viable option. I am requesting that you unthread crafting from the story line so other players who don't have as much time to play the game can try out these elements too. I don't think this is much to ask for and I also think it makes a lot of sense.

~Pumpkin