Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crit, Crit Block, and You!

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello, Wizards! I wanted to take a moment and address some concerns and answer some questions on the crit and crit block changes.

First of all, I just want to start with this – crit block is just not working on Test right now. It displays incorrectly, and it’s calculating incorrectly. This is compounding the issues right now and making things feel completely off. We’re aware of this and working on it.

As per the other changes… yes, we realize that overhauling a system that’s been around since 2010 is a big change. We don’t take this lightly. We’re focused on making battles more fun, exciting, and fast paced with Polaris and the Spiral beyond. We realized the old crit system is absolutely working against us in that regard a while ago and have been tinkering with a solution for a while. How many times do you crit… and it’s blocked? Unless you pump up your crit really high, I’m guessing this happens to you ALL THE TIME (it does to me), and it just slows down combat. That is the opposite of what we all want.

We knew we had to make a change. We’re doing this in the spirit that Wizard101 will continue to grow and thrive and there will be meaningful progression and travel through many worlds, for many, many years to come. And that’s why we rolled out the new crit and crit block system.

As for what we’re looking to improve for our next update to Test - we want to smooth out this adjustment over ALL LEVELS of crit and crit block. With the first set of changes (what's on Test now), we wanted to see if we could start the changes at level 101 – new story arc, new chapter, it seemed like a good time. However, we quickly realized the drop in power at 101 was not what we intended out of this. Duly noted. We need to make the change from level 50 on, so there will be no weird drop offs in power anymore. With the next set of changes, the journey from 100 to 101 should once again be a GOOD thing to undertake.

Another thing we’re still considering is that new system % displays much different than the old system. You will probably notice your % go down on your character sheet, but the effectiveness for most people won’t change all that much. For example, a 45% crit on the new system will land you more critical hits than 75% on the old system, but to see your crit drop that far is sticker shock, we know. To this end, we’re considering changing the display to better reflect that, but that may not happen with our next update to Test. Stay tuned. We’ll let you know.

We’ve also tested these changes in PVP internally, and think it will lead to a more balanced and improved experience overall. However, we want to hear from you about how these new changes feel in the dueling arena once they're on Test.

At the end of the school day, our goal is by the time this goes Live, once we get the kinks worked out, we think most everyone will be pleased with the new crit and crit block changes. We’ll get you some info on the next update notes, and I’ll be happy to answer general questions on the system (I teach pyromancy, not math). Hold on for the next update, and once that’s on Test, we’re ready for all the constructive comments you can throw at us!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Professor Falmea on Nov 3, 2015 wrote:
Hello, Wizards! I wanted to take a moment and address some concerns and answer some questions on the crit and crit block changes.

First of all, I just want to start with this – crit block is just not working on Test right now. It displays incorrectly, and it’s calculating incorrectly. This is compounding the issues right now and making things feel completely off. We’re aware of this and working on it.

As per the other changes… yes, we realize that overhauling a system that’s been around since 2010 is a big change. We don’t take this lightly. We’re focused on making battles more fun, exciting, and fast paced with Polaris and the Spiral beyond. We realized the old crit system is absolutely working against us in that regard a while ago and have been tinkering with a solution for a while. How many times do you crit… and it’s blocked? Unless you pump up your crit really high, I’m guessing this happens to you ALL THE TIME (it does to me), and it just slows down combat. That is the opposite of what we all want.

We knew we had to make a change. We’re doing this in the spirit that Wizard101 will continue to grow and thrive and there will be meaningful progression and travel through many worlds, for many, many years to come. And that’s why we rolled out the new crit and crit block system.

As for what we’re looking to improve for our next update to Test - we want to smooth out this adjustment over ALL LEVELS of crit and crit block. With the first set of changes (what's on Test now), we wanted to see if we could start the changes at level 101 – new story arc, new chapter, it seemed like a good time. However, we quickly realized the drop in power at 101 was not what we intended out of this. Duly noted. We need to make the change from level 50 on, so there will be no weird drop offs in power anymore. With the next set of changes, the journey from 100 to 101 should once again be a GOOD thing to undertake.

Another thing we’re still considering is that new system % displays much different than the old system. You will probably notice your % go down on your character sheet, but the effectiveness for most people won’t change all that much. For example, a 45% crit on the new system will land you more critical hits than 75% on the old system, but to see your crit drop that far is sticker shock, we know. To this end, we’re considering changing the display to better reflect that, but that may not happen with our next update to Test. Stay tuned. We’ll let you know.

We’ve also tested these changes in PVP internally, and think it will lead to a more balanced and improved experience overall. However, we want to hear from you about how these new changes feel in the dueling arena once they're on Test.

At the end of the school day, our goal is by the time this goes Live, once we get the kinks worked out, we think most everyone will be pleased with the new crit and crit block changes. We’ll get you some info on the next update notes, and I’ll be happy to answer general questions on the system (I teach pyromancy, not math). Hold on for the next update, and once that’s on Test, we’re ready for all the constructive comments you can throw at us!
Thanks for that info, Professor Falmea.

At least we know that this may ease up complaints many have been giving out. Glad to know.

Even if it takes long enough to even extend the schedule to sort that out, I won't mind. If it's to be, so be it. Doing it, if it comes to this, will make it worth the extra time needed to have it refined completely. Better to do it with the quality of content than to have it rushed.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Appreciate the input, and glad to know what many of us thought was a glitch, IS in fact a glitch. You have my continued patience and this has been relayed to a wizard101 social network group I admin. You released 2 new parts of the critical system; changed crit/block, and a new way of calculating per monster. The second is a welcome addition to the game, and the first, like many of us thought, was a bug.

happy hunting, and let us know if you need any more exterminators for this bug :)

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
So, it is safe to assume that the enemies we face will also be affected by this calculation?

Survivor
May 12, 2009
This still does nothing to help healing on critical life wizard. This is a huge Nerf to us no matter how you look at it. It's too bad, we already have bad selection in gear if we want to be a straight healer already and now this. Defiantly not happy with the changes that are coming.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2012
Professor,
My main concern is if I will crit more often with the underlying gear/stats staying the same that means bosses will also crit more.
It seems to me you are trying to go for a block nerf. I just don't think that is cool.

Also I try to decrease variance in my game play I don't see increased variance as a good thing.

Thanks for trying to make the game better. Please consider the above points in your analysis.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
I had to read this a few times to try to understand what this new change means exactly. If I understand this correctly we wont critical anywhere as much as we used to but IF we do if wont be blocked as often? So how does this work for block if someone criticals on us whether it be from a mob or a player? I realise they wanted to improve the full critical system but I am not too sure if this is the answer I will wait until they adjust the display as well then play some test and see what this new system means for me and my wizards.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I eagerly await more details on this new system. We knew years ago that the current system would eventually cause problems(Prediction thread) and I am glad to see that for once instead of a band-aid solution you are making actual systemic changes for the betterment of the game. I can't wait to critique the new system when more details are available and it works as intended.

Administrator
PaigeGoldenspear on Nov 3, 2015 wrote:
So, it is safe to assume that the enemies we face will also be affected by this calculation?
Yes. The system is changing for everyone. Enemies will face the same circumstances.

Administrator
Renix3 on Nov 3, 2015 wrote:
This still does nothing to help healing on critical life wizard. This is a huge Nerf to us no matter how you look at it. It's too bad, we already have bad selection in gear if we want to be a straight healer already and now this. Defiantly not happy with the changes that are coming.
We're aware of this - and are looking into some possible solutions. Stay tuned for future test updates!

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Thank goodness that block is a bug, and yes that sticker shock really sucker punched me, for lack of a better metaphor. Going from 90 crit to 30 crit was nuts and that 1 percent block made me stare at the screen for a full ten minutes while i rubbed my eyes and questioned reality.

I'll still be running through polaris just to see what to expect, and I cant wait to see how all this is going to work out. Im still going to have to get used to the changes once they hit live but I'll cross that when we get there.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
While it can be a lot of fun to deal critical damage to something, it's not really so fun to be on the receiving end of critical hits. Just the other day, one of my balance wizards had to restart one of those solo fights for astral magic in Azteca because they got hit by a critical hit that dealt half their health in damage before being able to heal. When you've been in a long battle with something, that can be quite frustrating.

The possibility to be critical hit regardless of your block takes a bit of security away from players that sought out more consistency. In the game's current state on live, it takes a great deal of block to be able to block everything thrown at you. I'm concerned that changes will either lessen the value of block to not make it very worthwhile, or otherwise really limit equipment choices just to have enough block to survive critical onslaughts. Most the new equipment I saw on test that has high block is missing so much from other stats as to make the choice to use them rather questionable.

On the subject of critical healing, I may have a less popular opinion on this, but I really don't mind if the chance of that goes down. There's nothing that counter balances critical heals, and the potential of 2500+ fairy heals every round is more than a bit crazy. I'd really like to see heals move into higher pip costing heals in the future. For a while now it's been too easy to get back to full health with few pips, and it often takes other extremes to have to work around that. (such as bosses that use extra cheats to curb some of the health flow, or deal really high damage with the assumption it will be healed off quickly)

If stats are being rebalanced, may I also suggest strong consideration into adding a stat cap at 75% for universal resistance? Still be able to get as much school specific resist as you want, but too much universal resist breaks the game. 75% is high enough that it would let people keep using existing tanky gear to great effect.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2013

Can the new crit system just be a pvp thing?

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
We're aware of this - and are looking into some possible solutions. Stay tuned for future test updates!
I hope they are some good, and fast solutions, or there will be a lot of (healing) life wizards retiring from frustration.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Regardless Of the changes mentioned I tried Farming Halfang as I usually do to get gold for things I noticed I really Dont critical hardly as much as I do On live. This new system reduces the critical chance dramatically. I have a 61% chance to critical. I criticaled 3/10 times I did Halfang. I do not see that as a good change for farming and bosses. I raised my critical in order to critical more. If critical will remain like this then no point in adding so much critical and just go for damage.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
KI needs to take into account that any changes/updates to the higher level aspects of the game are being felt by the 'more advanced in years' player base. My kids will probably never reach end-game content unless this game stays viable for several more years. Players at 'elder game' levels tend to notice problems a lot more and are also more able to give constructive feedback.

The new way crit/block is calculated is honestly the way it should have always been calculated, in my opinion. How quickly the crit/block ratings have skyrocketed is a mistake, so I'm glad it's being addressed.

My next point may seem off topic, but it isn't just hear me out.

Pvp and pve need to be looked at as two separate games in some regards. As far as gearing goes, there simply needs to be more stat options; some gear leaning towards pve (like higher crit values but maybe less pierce) and others leaning towards pvp (higher block and pierce, for example). This way players who don't do any pvp have gear sets they can focus on, and people who do both pve and pvp or just pvp can get what they're looking for. The crit/block system would work just fine in pve and pvp this way.

In my opinion, instituting the Token system so many of us have been asking for is a must if you want to keep your 'elder game' alive. On the pvp side, do away with rank requirements for gear except for cosmetic items. Give us some cool new looks to stitch, but the stat items should have just a flat token exchange rate. And give a variety of stat options. On the pve side the main 'gearing up' dungeons should have a vendor outside that works just like the arena ticket system, again with a variety of stat options.

However you decide to implement crit/block, just give us gearing options so we can tailor our stats and work with the system the way we prefer.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
@Mrflint, they are giving us gear options, just look at some of the drops available from Rasputin. You just have to work for them, just as you had to work for Malistaire's set.

I do think this change was necessary, and if done meticulously correctly and with extreme tact and skill, will place the 101 franchise on a much longer trajectory.

That said, we as stakeholders have had our confidence shaken and we're a tough crowd.

(No pressure. Really!)

Survivor
Dec 08, 2008
Here in Test Realm, many new items are following a new way to provide stats: For example, robes carrying block while hats and boots offering critical. Many of these new items grant huge amounts of block or critical (such as athames/robes with over 100 block).

It seems these new items were introduced to support the new calculation of crit/block above lvl 100 by boosting our stats in great amounts, so my question: Will these items keep their stats? Or will them be reduced to be closer to previous gear?

Overall I'm glad to hear feedback is reaching you guys. Though I don't like the intend to reduce the effectiveness of our block. Random factor is something players do -not- enjoy... pets, drops, critical does not need more "variety", we need to have effective means of countering all mechanisms in-game. Even if the chances are lower, a successful crit can turn the tide of nearly any duel, no matter how much strategy we put into it... and it seems that's the direction we're heading to.

Besides, if block becomes too ineffective, players will simply give up their defensive gear to have only critical... which brings us back to the issue this update intends to solve.

~R

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
crunkatog on Nov 4, 2015 wrote:
@Mrflint, they are giving us gear options, just look at some of the drops available from Rasputin. You just have to work for them, just as you had to work for Malistaire's set.

I do think this change was necessary, and if done meticulously correctly and with extreme tact and skill, will place the 101 franchise on a much longer trajectory.

That said, we as stakeholders have had our confidence shaken and we're a tough crowd.

(No pressure. Really!)
No, we don't 'just have to work for them.' A purely random drop system is a disaster. My death character has never received a single piece of tier one gear from Malistaire. Never. Does this mean I haven't 'worked' for it? I've gone through Darkmoor way more often than most players and only have one character with a full set of Malistair gear. I've actually worked more than most with nothing to show for it. I refuse to go into Darkmoor again except to get the shadow spells for my other characters.

More stat options on gear is a life-saver for KI, I'm happy to hear it. But if the only way to acquire that gear is through Mr. Random, then it really doesn't matter.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
I am not sure still how I feel about this new system having wizards from all schools I have learned not to rely on criritcal , but please hear me out. If I am just fighting in the streets against mobs I want to have at least a 2/3 chance i wlll critical and a 1/3 chance to block and set all my wizards to meet that. Most mobs will block me in live around 30% of the time,In bosses i will want more block a least a 1/2 chance to block and my criticals will be blocked around 80% of the time. It is frustrating in test that not only do I critical less around 1/4 times but when I do critical 95% of the time it will be blocked but mobs will critical around 1/3 times i only block around 1/40 of them. With the revisions to the system still being applied I am still hopeful that my chance to critical or block will not be severely reduced compared to the current system.

Survivor
May 12, 2012

I love the idea of new and balance system in pvp. Honestly I don't think critical was ever a problem with Polaris. I have soloed it with no critical or block. The only problem where it lies is in pvp. That's just my view.

On the other note. Maybe the critical chance shouldn't be as low? With all the pierce introduced with the game-resistance is about useless. All that matter is now health and pure damage. As an exalted life pvper, without critical heals, life is doomed. We won't be able to heal as much as we used to. I also like critical heals in pve. I am usually the healer and critical heal save the day a lot. If the percentage is reduced. It will be a lot tougher for healers like myself who uses critical as advantage.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2014
I'm happy to hear that you guys are taking a deeper look into the system as I'm not a fan of how it's running in test at all. You were right to say it was a major shock to our system after plenty of us have farmed or are still farming for top gear. I can't wait to hear more details on this, thank you for listening to our concerns!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i was in test for only a few minutes the other night, got hit by about 200 enemy criticals, and didn't block a single one... with 325 crit block. i'm sure i echo the sentiments of many, but to say that it completely sucker-punched me was an understatement.

ravino makes a good point, in that this new meta renders defensive stats unnecessary and therefore exacerbates the issue that the new system was intended to resolve, as wizards with defensive builds (which is most of pve) will suffer. i'm glad to hear that this is being investigated, since i haven't been happy at all with the current system in test.

i *might* quest a bit in polaris when it goes live~ it's a beautiful world (french revolution with russians?) in terms of art and design, though i said the exact same thing about darkmoor... i want to love it; i really do. but, as the owner of 3 (soon to be 4) exalted wizards, i am dreading what lies ahead.

-von
exalted and (almost)

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
Ravino Nightingale on Nov 4, 2015 wrote:
Here in Test Realm, many new items are following a new way to provide stats: For example, robes carrying block while hats and boots offering critical. Many of these new items grant huge amounts of block or critical (such as athames/robes with over 100 block).

It seems these new items were introduced to support the new calculation of crit/block above lvl 100 by boosting our stats in great amounts, so my question: Will these items keep their stats? Or will them be reduced to be closer to previous gear?

Overall I'm glad to hear feedback is reaching you guys. Though I don't like the intend to reduce the effectiveness of our block. Random factor is something players do -not- enjoy... pets, drops, critical does not need more "variety", we need to have effective means of countering all mechanisms in-game. Even if the chances are lower, a successful crit can turn the tide of nearly any duel, no matter how much strategy we put into it... and it seems that's the direction we're heading to.

Besides, if block becomes too ineffective, players will simply give up their defensive gear to have only critical... which brings us back to the issue this update intends to solve.

~R
I have seen drops giving better block or ciritcal BUT at what I would regard a very high cost to all other stats, I want to be able to gain a balanced set up where i can critical a fair amount of times and block enough hits and still kill the boss or minion I dont want to have to rely on just ONE aspect to carry me through, when aquila was introduced focussing one one thing became the norm for example my storm i had less resist and block so i could critical more, with darkmoor I was able to be more balanced and still be effective as the main hitter so I saw it as a massive improvement in gameplay.This new system what are my real choices? Forgo critical and block to focus soley on resist and damage or give up resistance and damage and focus on critical or block? I would prefer a decent amount of each not this high amount of one or another approach. i would love a wizard world where the more balanced set up was the BEST choice.

The other thing I am wondering is now with this being made a sweeping change from 50+ how does that affect those in Waterworks gear or Aquila gear? What about crowns gear or bundle gear? have they all lost their usefulness in this new system? Are the block boots for lower levels even worth crafting anymore? Are Ki going to adjust gear from lvl 50 to reflect the changes? Along with many other questions this new system poses I am at a loss to see where the benefits lie other than the chance to LAND a critical on an opponent.I still need more clarification is needed to how this system works and where it is better than the current system.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
There has been many new topics made on this new system its easy to get bogged down, and for the most part no real clarification on it either. this has led to many of us becoming extremely upset about it all.When a totally new system is introduced to replace an old one it should be clear what the differences are and how it impacts on the average player. Take the introduction of pet jewels earlier this year, that was the first big change to pets in a very long time yet it was easy enough to see what possible benefits they could give to pets and that it didnt make existing pets obsolete. Yes although it did cause quite a fuss when introduced al in all it was a good thing. this new critical system though is a different story, it is highly unclear how it effects newer wizards who are still questing to get to 100. How does making a new wizard and questing to 100 compare to how existing wizards who gave already done so? Having a new system will affect the players experience from how it would of been under the old system. What Kings Isle has to do is fully explain the implications of this new system and how and where it is any better than the current one for everyone it effects. it also needs to assure us that gear obtained like Waterworks, Hades etc will be as effective in the new system is they were in the old system. From the little understanding I have it feels like any future wizards I make will have a harder time questing through to the end of KH than those of mine who have already done so. I hope Kings Isle will take note and respond accordingly.They have said some of the initial results when reaching 101 were not intended and they are looking to fix it which is good, but I still have no real idea of what their intentions actually were.