Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gloves as wands

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
It is quite possible that many of you didn't know that you can cast spells without a wand/weapon/instrument equipped. Your wizard waves their hands around in a flowing arcane gesture, it is quite nice. I sometimes consider playing with an empty wand slot. Then I think about the power pip I won't have, and the wand blast spells I won't have to banish weakness, negative accuracy, or enemy wards.

I mean it makes sense, The magical implements exist to increase the wizards spell casting ability.

So yeah I want the hand waving animation, but I don't want to give up the extra pip/power pip at the start of the battle. I thought magic gloves could be a solution.

As for the wand blasts, I would be quite content to spend a training point to learn a zero cost damage spell from another school, and let it take up an actual deck spell slot. I only use such spells to dispel negative charms on myself or enemy wards anyway, it could have a base damage of one for all I care.

I have made this topic before, over a year ago, I thought I would see what the current reaction is.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2013
Well my current reaction is yaaassss i like to play without a wand sometimes when i'm bored but with gloves i would be able to quest :)

Explorer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe Some Gloves That Give 5 Major Flare Cards and 3 Major Death Charge

Crown Shop: 2,000 Crowns
Vendor: Elik SilverSteed 30,000-50,000 Gold

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
While I do like to see hand gloves &/or hand gauntlets in W101, I prefer that they should have their own gear slot, instead of as having them as wands, because, some wizards, even those in the old days, just prefer to have hand gloves & wands to look like a true wizard.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Interesting proposal, I do like it indeed.
When I first started out way back when, I thought the hand motions were very cool, but quickly caught on that wands were superior. I really do appreciate what KingsIsle has done with casting animations, my personal favourite being the sword swipe that is a result of a wand attack done with certain swords. I love it, and will often take a few KI quizzes to get enough Crowns to stitch my new, up to date wand with the style and animation of the sword.
I also like staffs and bow and arrows, so I believe this would be an interesting new addition. It is always the small details that add up to make the entire experience.

Best of luck!
~Shannon Skybreaker

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
i personally don't like the idea of gloves because i love to have wands

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
annaxh on Oct 10, 2015 wrote:
i personally don't like the idea of gloves because i love to have wands
These would basically be like a substitute for you normal wand. It's been done in the past, like with bow and arrows and swords. It would just be for certain wizards who would prefer the look of it. Or, that's how I see the original post.

Best of luck!
Shannon Skybreaker

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Shannon Skybreaker on Oct 11, 2015 wrote:
These would basically be like a substitute for you normal wand. It's been done in the past, like with bow and arrows and swords. It would just be for certain wizards who would prefer the look of it. Or, that's how I see the original post.

Best of luck!
Shannon Skybreaker
exactly, or not even gloves, if the devs don't like making a glove mesh and textures. Just some excuse to use the weaponless animation with the game play benefits of having the bonus pips and wand blasts

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Zebulous Newt on Oct 15, 2015 wrote:
exactly, or not even gloves, if the devs don't like making a glove mesh and textures. Just some excuse to use the weaponless animation with the game play benefits of having the bonus pips and wand blasts
I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to make gloves (the top gear set from Barkingham has gloves, be they attached to the robe as it were)

I think the gloves (at least the initial ones) would look much like the ones from the royal guard armor set and come in the current range of basic colors with no stats like the recently added jewel crafters bundle wands so they have the option of being cosmetic only. (would make for a lot of "the gloves are off" jokes)

Given the nature of these gloves they could probably be sold for a price similar to wigs which seems feasible for a statless pair of gloves used soley for stitching, and they could also be random drops from dungeons also like wigs.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
Perhaps you could go into the middle of the duel circle and fire blasts from your hand, or lasers from your eyes.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
BionicMyth on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
Perhaps you could go into the middle of the duel circle and fire blasts from your hand, or lasers from your eyes.
lol, except I just wanted the default wand-less animation...

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Zebulous Newt on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
lol, except I just wanted the default wand-less animation...
I like the idea of hand gestures but if you think about it, having the ability to shoot beams from your eyes could be pretty cool too! I had a visual of something like Marvel's Cyclops flipping up his dark glasses to deliver a blast of energy.