Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Possible way on getting certain talents?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I'm doing a bit of an experiment on how to get a certain talent from a pet, as there doesn't seem to be any info on this. Namely, I'm trying to get the talents Storm-Giver and Storm-Shot from a Bolt Demon pet.
Using the formula Wizard101Central suggests the game uses, Storm-Giver grants you a percentage of Storm damage based on this:
(2*Strength + 2*Will + Power)/200,
Storm-Shot uses this formula:
(2*Intellect + 2*Agility + Power)/200
Following the formula for Storm-Giver, I focused on leveling up my Bolt Demon's Strength and Will, mainly for the outgoing heal to help my wizard before I looked up the formulas. What did I get? Storm-Giver.
I'm not a 100% sure, but this could mean that you could earn certain talents based on what abilities of your pet you train them in. I also had a pet normal dragon on another character with which I maxed only Strength on, and it learned Hearty (+25 Strength) when it became a Teen.
What are all your opinions on this? I'm going to test this theory further for the next few days and pump some Intellect and Agility in my Bolt Demon and see if it learns Storm-Shot.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Enigmatistry on Aug 8, 2015 wrote:
I'm doing a bit of an experiment on how to get a certain talent from a pet, as there doesn't seem to be any info on this. Namely, I'm trying to get the talents Storm-Giver and Storm-Shot from a Bolt Demon pet.
Using the formula Wizard101Central suggests the game uses, Storm-Giver grants you a percentage of Storm damage based on this:
(2*Strength + 2*Will + Power)/200,
Storm-Shot uses this formula:
(2*Intellect + 2*Agility + Power)/200
Following the formula for Storm-Giver, I focused on leveling up my Bolt Demon's Strength and Will, mainly for the outgoing heal to help my wizard before I looked up the formulas. What did I get? Storm-Giver.
I'm not a 100% sure, but this could mean that you could earn certain talents based on what abilities of your pet you train them in. I also had a pet normal dragon on another character with which I maxed only Strength on, and it learned Hearty (+25 Strength) when it became a Teen.
What are all your opinions on this? I'm going to test this theory further for the next few days and pump some Intellect and Agility in my Bolt Demon and see if it learns Storm-Shot.
All pets' talents are pre-determined at hatch. What you feed them has no bearing whatsoever on the talents they manifest. Both of the talents you want are in your pet's "possible" talent pool so they might manifest but the only way to tell for sure is to train.
The formulae you reference in your OP are related to the strength of the talents "IF" they are manifested.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
TucsonWizard on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
All pets' talents are pre-determined at hatch. What you feed them has no bearing whatsoever on the talents they manifest. Both of the talents you want are in your pet's "possible" talent pool so they might manifest but the only way to tell for sure is to train.
The formulae you reference in your OP are related to the strength of the talents "IF" they are manifested.
Yeah, I just found that out.
I managed to get my Bolt Demon to Adult by boosting his Intellect and Agility, but he ended up getting Gifted instead of Storm-Shot.