Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pvp so broken at exalted

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 07, 2009
Kingisle got to notice that pvp is broken and unfair, i mean pretty much everyone would agree with me there. Let me start off with exalted pvp, the two most overpowered schools right now are fire and balance. The schools are supposed to be equal or close to equal as possible but those two schools have it much easier pvp wise. All kingsisle would have to do to make it more equal would be to make fire beetle 3 pips instead of 2 and loremaster either five pips or take out the weakness, preferably keep it four pips and take out the weakness. This would balance the game out so much at exalted and its just minor changes. Seems like everytime kingisles add in a something they dont want to take it out even though its broken. Pvp is s getting more luck based and thats kinda alright but whats not alright is another school having an advantage over a differant school right off the bat. I know there have been many topics like this but whats so infuriating is that they wont even bother to make two simple changes. All the proof i need is to just look at the leader boards and see the loads of level 100 balance and fires.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Nectarananas on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
Kingisle got to notice that pvp is broken and unfair, i mean pretty much everyone would agree with me there. Let me start off with exalted pvp, the two most overpowered schools right now are fire and balance. The schools are supposed to be equal or close to equal as possible but those two schools have it much easier pvp wise. All kingsisle would have to do to make it more equal would be to make fire beetle 3 pips instead of 2 and loremaster either five pips or take out the weakness, preferably keep it four pips and take out the weakness. This would balance the game out so much at exalted and its just minor changes. Seems like everytime kingisles add in a something they dont want to take it out even though its broken. Pvp is s getting more luck based and thats kinda alright but whats not alright is another school having an advantage over a differant school right off the bat. I know there have been many topics like this but whats so infuriating is that they wont even bother to make two simple changes. All the proof i need is to just look at the leader boards and see the loads of level 100 balance and fires.
Where I will completely agree that PVP is broken, especially at Exalted, I will disagree with Balance and Fire being the top two schools. I strongly feel that the top two schools are Fire and Life. Why, because Balance has
lost alot, in the the jewel release and Darkmoor release.

Loremaster is no longer a major player, it's accuracy -35% is almost worthless, with the +18% that everyone
has added. That plus the Darkmoor gear, has killed the effectivness of LoreMaster.
Also Mana Burn is no where need as effective when your opponent doesn't need to build
pips. Now they can hit and do major damage with three power pips. Mana Burn is useless
when hitting an opponent with 3 pips.

So where I agree that Balance may still be considered at the bottom of the top teir, that's about it.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Though Balance is strong, you could almost say it's a half tier one half tier two school because of Ice, Life and Fire. The new meta is a strict bladestack, Infallible/Shrike then Shadow Enhanced Spell combo, and it usually takes only 2 blades. Unlike all other schools, Balance and Storm are incapable of pulling this off. Balance relies very heavily on critical and needs to critical to compete with any school. Also since Elucidate TC is very common, Shadow Enhanced Spells greatly surpass a basic Loremaster.

Balance also has another problem no school has, and that's the ability of having your heals stolen. The popularity of Snow Drift jewels, in my opinion, throws Balance to the ground. Not only will Balance wizards not be able to use Availing Hands safely, they have the potential threat of not only Ice, but any wizard their face holding the card.

You have the right approach of Exalted PvP being completely broken, but no 2 schools lead that factor. Every school, and every recent update KI's given since Tartarus, has contributed to that, not just 2 schools getting new spells.

Survivor
Dec 07, 2009
I still stick to what i said and say that the top two schools are balance and fire

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
@PvPKing and Veracity

While Fire has undoubtedly replaced Balance as the new King of PvP Balance is still solidly Top Tier. I would place it in a tie with Life. The reason Nectar and yourselves see it differently is because Nectar plays the Myth school-the lowest tier school in this meta. Balance is still an exceptional school against the lower tiers simply due to it's mechanics. Lore is still significant as a 1300 damage spell that leaves a debuff and mana burn is still effective against myth due to it's dependence on high pip spells and it's relatively weaker shadow enhanced spell. One Gaze to Lore or even a critical Gaze completely wipes out storm and death is hamstrung by it's inability to heal without giving up it's blade stack.

On the flip side balance struggles against other top tiers for several reasons. Fire has enough power to defeat balance before it can get established in most cases and balance as a school that relies on hit barrages rather than blade stacking is virtually helpless against a good life since life can easily crit heal through most of balance's damage utility(mana burn and lore) and even recover handily from gaze.Couple this with the fact that Life has GS for cases of random critical and that mana burn is ineffective agains hungry caterpillar and life/ice is one of the sets that balance struggles against.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
PvP King on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
Though Balance is strong, you could almost say it's a half tier one half tier two school because of Ice, Life and Fire. The new meta is a strict bladestack, Infallible/Shrike then Shadow Enhanced Spell combo, and it usually takes only 2 blades. Unlike all other schools, Balance and Storm are incapable of pulling this off. Balance relies very heavily on critical and needs to critical to compete with any school. Also since Elucidate TC is very common, Shadow Enhanced Spells greatly surpass a basic Loremaster.

Balance also has another problem no school has, and that's the ability of having your heals stolen. The popularity of Snow Drift jewels, in my opinion, throws Balance to the ground. Not only will Balance wizards not be able to use Availing Hands safely, they have the potential threat of not only Ice, but any wizard their face holding the card.

You have the right approach of Exalted PvP being completely broken, but no 2 schools lead that factor. Every school, and every recent update KI's given since Tartarus, has contributed to that, not just 2 schools getting new spells.
It's these kind of constant changes in high level PvP, that really make it not worth It anymore.
Balance lost enough, and then they just keep piling it on, without any real thought it seems.
When everyone was having a good time in the Level 50 group, they had to mess with that too.
Do the people coming up with this stuff even understand the PVP side of the game, I wonder?

Anyway, it won't matter to me anymore after this weekend, I will be turning my last account over
to my youngest brother, who doesn't pvp. Good luck to all that stick it out and hope for a change
that I doubt will ever show.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Nectarananas on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
I still stick to what i said and say that the top two schools are balance and fire
Doesn't really matter what you stick too.
Fire and Life are way too overpowered currently.
Those 2 schools are top it's a fact and everyone knows it.
Nicholas Star

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
@PvPKing and Veracity

While Fire has undoubtedly replaced Balance as the new King of PvP Balance is still solidly Top Tier. I would place it in a tie with Life. The reason Nectar and yourselves see it differently is because Nectar plays the Myth school-the lowest tier school in this meta. Balance is still an exceptional school against the lower tiers simply due to it's mechanics. Lore is still significant as a 1300 damage spell that leaves a debuff and mana burn is still effective against myth due to it's dependence on high pip spells and it's relatively weaker shadow enhanced spell. One Gaze to Lore or even a critical Gaze completely wipes out storm and death is hamstrung by it's inability to heal without giving up it's blade stack.

On the flip side balance struggles against other top tiers for several reasons. Fire has enough power to defeat balance before it can get established in most cases and balance as a school that relies on hit barrages rather than blade stacking is virtually helpless against a good life since life can easily crit heal through most of balance's damage utility(mana burn and lore) and even recover handily from gaze.Couple this with the fact that Life has GS for cases of random critical and that mana burn is ineffective agains hungry caterpillar and life/ice is one of the sets that balance struggles against.
Yes, I agree, Balance is good against low tier schools, but I'd say it's more tied with Ice than Life. Ice, like Balance, struggles against several schools and does well against many others. For example, an Ice wizard can be especially good against a Storm, Balance, Death, and Myth, but Fire and Life always seem to get the better of Ice wizards. In comparison to Balance, Ice does not have any heals and is stuck with using 5 pip attacks. However, Balance is in a position in which healing is a threat to itself, since Snow Drift jewels are highly present among the higher ranks. This pins Balance down to a bladeless, heal-less, and low shield percentage state, in which Balance needs a given critical from the RNG to compete well. Still, since the RNG does exist, Balance does fairly well against Myth, Storm, and Death, while struggling harshly against Ice, Life and Fire, especially if they use the Snow Drift Sapphire. I'd say if Balance were to get even one nerf, its competitiveness would go down lower than any other school's been at.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
PvP King on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:

or shift for people doing overtime damage!

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
PvP King on Jun 13, 2015 wrote:
Yes, I agree, Balance is good against low tier schools, but I'd say it's more tied with Ice than Life. Ice, like Balance, struggles against several schools and does well against many others. For example, an Ice wizard can be especially good against a Storm, Balance, Death, and Myth, but Fire and Life always seem to get the better of Ice wizards. In comparison to Balance, Ice does not have any heals and is stuck with using 5 pip attacks. However, Balance is in a position in which healing is a threat to itself, since Snow Drift jewels are highly present among the higher ranks. This pins Balance down to a bladeless, heal-less, and low shield percentage state, in which Balance needs a given critical from the RNG to compete well. Still, since the RNG does exist, Balance does fairly well against Myth, Storm, and Death, while struggling harshly against Ice, Life and Fire, especially if they use the Snow Drift Sapphire. I'd say if Balance were to get even one nerf, its competitiveness would go down lower than any other school's been at.
don't forgot ice have immunity (now terror's hoard pack) now can get shadow enchanced treasure card but sad can't sell them but trade but don't forget about double dispel too as well

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
JustinFrostHunter on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
don't forgot ice have immunity (now terror's hoard pack) now can get shadow enchanced treasure card but sad can't sell them but trade but don't forget about double dispel too as well
Ice doesn't have immunity.

Explorer
May 15, 2009
Death is definitely the #1 top tier school in the current meta. With all the best utility spells like Animate, Steal Health, Beguile, and Dark Pact. Also with the best attacks like Ghoul, Banshee, and Skeletal Pirate. Necromancers are almost unbeatable in the arena. >

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
I dont think it is broken, it is just that people don't know how to cope with clever player strategies so they pout about the system being broken. I agree to an extent sometimes exalted pvp can be based on luck, like whoever goes first at that level has a huge advantage over the other player but that just makes it all the more fun to compete in PvP. All the schools are equal, you just need to know how to fight with strategies effectively to win with your school. Skill is key don't complain if you cannot best another players strategy, make your own strategy better so you can fight your next match with better technique then you had before so you can win.

Mason Greenbane
Exalted
PvP Warlord

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
DarkWIZard98x on Jun 23, 2015 wrote:
I dont think it is broken, it is just that people don't know how to cope with clever player strategies so they pout about the system being broken. I agree to an extent sometimes exalted pvp can be based on luck, like whoever goes first at that level has a huge advantage over the other player but that just makes it all the more fun to compete in PvP. All the schools are equal, you just need to know how to fight with strategies effectively to win with your school. Skill is key don't complain if you cannot best another players strategy, make your own strategy better so you can fight your next match with better technique then you had before so you can win.

Mason Greenbane
Exalted
PvP Warlord
No, Exalt PvP is extremely broken and some schools have phenomenal advantages over others. Skill is not key, critical, luck with drops, and getting lucky is, or else people like me would never lose.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009

Mason Greenbane
Exalted
PvP Warlord
You are wrong. This is not a matter of opinion. Specific examples of unfair matches, exploiting the system, unbalanced schools, turn-based advantages,etc. have been listed numerous times. To be considered a good, fair, balanced pvp system, it would have to be be balanced and fair in every match, and that is far from the case. You certainly have the option of enjoying and participating in pvp in its current incarnation, but to suggest it is not broken, has no basis, or merit.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2012
you got that right word for word. Thing is, people don't even have to be max lvl to use the shadow enchanted spells. if the wizard is a level 95 fire, they can use squall if the wizard know shadow magic. Its not right what so ever. and now the third arc in pvp is coming. its just not right. Question is, will it get worse, and how? .

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010

Mason Greenbane
Exalted
PvP Warlord
DarkWizard98,

Did you read any articles on Duelist lately? Did you read the article on Balance vs Storm?
They point it out very clearly, a Storm cannot defeat a Balance, unless it gets very lucky.
This is exactly what Eric Stormbringer has been complaining about for a year or more.

This is even worst for wizards like Myth at the upper levels. Not all schools are equal as you
stated above. Schools right now are very unbalanced, that is why each school has been
broken into tier. Why do you think Fire at level 100 is on such a fast rise in the boards?

Your idea may have been true back at level 60 when schools were (closer to being) balanced.
That was before critical showed up, because that is when things started to change.
Today, at level 100, no one can say that PvP is Balanced, no one can say that you need to
just change your strategy to correct the problem. Skill plays into the match far, far less at level
100. The shadow pips plays into the match far more than skill, technique or strategy.

If you posted this back in the days of Celestia, I would not have replied. Posting your comments
today, at level 100 is something that I cannot agree with.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
KI does not care, guys. We have to face it. There have literally been hundreds of great posts and threads here and on wizard101central on how to improve pvp. None of it is happening (I take that back, getting rid of names in the queue was one good thing, though they need to get rid of the colors which still give an idea of the players' school). Maybe KI has looked at what players are generating the most revenue and it isn't the PVP players. The basic mechanism of a turn-based game causes a huge problem in pvp all by itself.

My family's expires the first week of August. I have been debating renewing it or not and decided to check out pvp again. After going first 30% of the time after three days and having my stats mean nothing (kept fizzing with 115% accuracy, crit and block not performing, etc) I wondered how I had ever questioned what my decision would be. My kids and I actually leave GRUMPY.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Veracity8 on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
DarkWizard98,

Did you read any articles on Duelist lately? Did you read the article on Balance vs Storm?
They point it out very clearly, a Storm cannot defeat a Balance, unless it gets very lucky.
This is exactly what Eric Stormbringer has been complaining about for a year or more.

This is even worst for wizards like Myth at the upper levels. Not all schools are equal as you
stated above. Schools right now are very unbalanced, that is why each school has been
broken into tier. Why do you think Fire at level 100 is on such a fast rise in the boards?

Your idea may have been true back at level 60 when schools were (closer to being) balanced.
That was before critical showed up, because that is when things started to change.
Today, at level 100, no one can say that PvP is Balanced, no one can say that you need to
just change your strategy to correct the problem. Skill plays into the match far, far less at level
100. The shadow pips plays into the match far more than skill, technique or strategy.

If you posted this back in the days of Celestia, I would not have replied. Posting your comments
today, at level 100 is something that I cannot agree with.
I feel like the block rating update in test realm fixed things up pretty well critical-wise. The one thing I'm really interested in is seeing how KI can balance armor pierce and resist once again, while hopefully banning Shadow Enhanced Spells from PvP as many people have asked since the release of Darkmoor.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
PvP King on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
Ice doesn't have immunity.
ice does have immunity!

i am ice wizard (have immunity for all school) but not all in one gear!

dozen set of immunity

call mine immunity gear for each school!

storm gear (call it storm resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity
ice gear (call it ice resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity
fire gear (call it fire resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity
myth gear (call it myth resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity
life gear (call it life resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity
death gear (call it death resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity
balance gear (call it balance resist gear for mine ice wizard) means: Immunity

ultra gear (call it ultra resist gear for mine ice wizard) get allot resist from this one (best one get extra ===>resist

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
JustinFrostHunter on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
ice does have immunity!

dozen set of immunity

ultra gear (call it ultra resist gear for mine ice wizard) get allot resist from this one (best one get extra ===>resist
So, your gonna wear that gear into a 1v1 match, not knowing who your going to face?

Well Fire can have immunity to Fire, and I have faced a Balance that has 117% resist to Balance.
The point is, when you have solid specs on a Ice, he has terrible Critical and terrible Critical Block.
He has weak damage, and weak damage spells, and his resist is well below what it use to be for
Storm and fire at level 100. I had 80 resist to Fire and 75 Resist to Storm, back when I was a Level
70 or 80 Ice. Now it's 65, and I've dropped to a second tier school, from a Tier 1.

The odds of me beating a life or Fire is pretty slim, and if I hit a Balance that is all critical I got a slim
chance there too.

I got a chance against a Death, Storm, or Myth, if I can damage them fast enough.

The whole point is that Ice had dropped a lot, and for no reason at all. They have unbalanced Ice,
Death, Myth and Storm. They have given an incredible advantage to Life and Fire.
Why have an imbalance at Level 100, especially in 1v1 where most of the players are.
Why have most quit doing 3v3 or 4v4? Why do so few do 2v2 now? Why do you see Ice dropping
from pvp? Why, because the game is unbalanced again, and ice got the short end of the stick.

Storm has a questionable heal, but it's a storm heal. Life and Balance have their heals.
Death has a solid heal, even if it's locked into a setup. Even Fire has Power Link and can do a
critical heal. They can all wear the Morgan Amulet, but Ice can't. Again, the short end of the stick.

KI should fix this before the next world, and there is no reason why they shouldn't.
PVP should be balanced, and Ice, Myth, Death, and storm should get what they need before
they have to level up again. How hard is it for them to change the Gear specs on a Wizard?
How hard is it for them to add a few spells?

If they balance the game at this point, then they can try to keep it balanced, making the game
much more enjoyable for those that still play. Now's the Time.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
JustinFrostHunter on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
ice does have immunity!

dozen set of immunity

Any school can get immunity to any school, which is a very bad way to enter ranked PvP. In competitive PvP, you already lose so much once you're immune (damage, critical rating, power pip chance, armor pierce, accuracy sometimes block rating) that it isn't even worth being immune. Though increased resistances from Khrysalis rings do help, it still isn't enough simply having more resist to survive in this kind of meta, as for most wizards, the average armor pierce is already higher than their own universal resist.