Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What isn't derivative?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
In this day and age, original ideas are few and far between.
Just about every form of media draws heavy inspiration from other media.

Now, this isn't a jab or anything, but I think most people can see...
Wizard101 characters are seldom without heavy inspiration.

There's already a thread with all the easter eggs listed enmasse...
what about the original content? (story, character, etc.)

I'm having a hard time finding anything.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Mister Peanut on Jun 7, 2015 wrote:
In this day and age, original ideas are few and far between.
Just about every form of media draws heavy inspiration from other media.

Now, this isn't a jab or anything, but I think most people can see...
Wizard101 characters are seldom without heavy inspiration.

There's already a thread with all the easter eggs listed enmasse...
what about the original content? (story, character, etc.)

I'm having a hard time finding anything.
I have to agree. Original storyline is almost non-existent in today's media. I think in the case of Wizard101 it makes good sense to rehash the old standard tried and true plotlines because of the targeted demographic. Most younger users are going to lose interest fairly early on if the story is too complex and using the proven good vs. bad maxim is one method of gaining and holding their attention.
To be honest, there really are only a few available scenarios. These stories have been passed down through the ages with the only changes being their adaptation to more modern applications. Cave dweller vs. Mammoth, Heracles vs. Hydra, Gladiator vs. Lion, Sheriff vs. Outlaw, Axis vs. Allies, King Kong vs. Civilization etc. Depending on your perspective, these can all be looked upon as hunter vs. hunted or good vs. evil, but it's all about the conflict. Conflict and competition is the basis for most games so it stands to reason that the driving concept of these games should be good vs. bad.
It's unfortunate that media in general, Hollywood in particular, has to re-tell old stories. When they scrape the bottom of the barrel (The Dukes of Hazzard?! for Pete's sake) for "new" material it makes me weep. But the creative way that KI weaves pop-culture references into their story line is brilliant. The Easter Eggs are a big reason I keep coming back for more.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
TucsonWizard on Jun 8, 2015 wrote:
I have to agree. Original storyline is almost non-existent in today's media. I think in the case of Wizard101 it makes good sense to rehash the old standard tried and true plotlines because of the targeted demographic. Most younger users are going to lose interest fairly early on if the story is too complex and using the proven good vs. bad maxim is one method of gaining and holding their attention.
To be honest, there really are only a few available scenarios. These stories have been passed down through the ages with the only changes being their adaptation to more modern applications. Cave dweller vs. Mammoth, Heracles vs. Hydra, Gladiator vs. Lion, Sheriff vs. Outlaw, Axis vs. Allies, King Kong vs. Civilization etc. Depending on your perspective, these can all be looked upon as hunter vs. hunted or good vs. evil, but it's all about the conflict. Conflict and competition is the basis for most games so it stands to reason that the driving concept of these games should be good vs. bad.
It's unfortunate that media in general, Hollywood in particular, has to re-tell old stories. When they scrape the bottom of the barrel (The Dukes of Hazzard?! for Pete's sake) for "new" material it makes me weep. But the creative way that KI weaves pop-culture references into their story line is brilliant. The Easter Eggs are a big reason I keep coming back for more.
Most of the kiddos won't get most of the references <3 haha, but yeah, I agree. Nothing wrong with tried and true.

When parents or grandparents play the game with their children they get reminded of a lot of things because of all the references...
They can then share those stories with the kids. Another bonus.

Easy to forget that most kids these days never got to see most of the shows or movies we watched growing up.

Reading books isn't nearly as commonplace either among children...
At least, from my experience...

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Realistically, there are no new stories to tell. All of them have been told before over the millennia. The themes remain the same, we only change the details over time. The differences between Greek tragedy, Shakespearean Drama, Modern Fantasy and Sci-Fi are just matters of detail and modern technology added. The emotional impact and story plot never changes.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
seethe42 on Jun 8, 2015 wrote:
Realistically, there are no new stories to tell. All of them have been told before over the millennia. The themes remain the same, we only change the details over time. The differences between Greek tragedy, Shakespearean Drama, Modern Fantasy and Sci-Fi are just matters of detail and modern technology added. The emotional impact and story plot never changes.
Brilliant.