Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance, in General.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 14, 2013
Hi guys!
So today, I was mainly bored and began browsing the Wizard101 message boards randomly. Whilst doing so, I stumbled over a huge lump of topics about which school is the best, and which school is worst.
Being honest, a large amount of people said either myth or storm was worst, and also balance; which I thought, personally, was definitely wrong.
First off, yes, I'm a level 39 (currently) and I don't know everything yet, I'm not a level 100. But I know the basics, and somewhat more. So please, don't judge me. xD
Anyway, over the past year or so, I've begun to look into the other schools. So far, I've tried out all of them apart from ice, life and storm. If I had to choose one school instead of balance, it'd be fire. Mainly because of the way they spread out their attacks, and well... Fire is just generally a really cool concept. But in the end of the day, I'm always more happier with balance. Yes, being honest here, at a few times I have fallen bored from balance - but only because I sometimes get stuck.
Okay. Listen up all those people who don't think balance is a good school.
The reason that many people think balance isn't that good is because it's complicated. Whilst all the other schools have their own main 'idea' to follow up on, balance is flexible, and fits itself basically anywhere.
That's what makes balance complicated. Many people don't know how to cope with it. For instance, I feel it's better to make your main wizard a balance one, rather than try make it your 'just another wizard because I'm bored'. This is because if you make your first (and main) wizard a balance one, you'll actually put effort into understanding it, rather than just finding it 'too difficult' and ditching it.
But that's just my opinion. I hope you guys understand, and if you're also a balance wizard and agree with me, then awesome! Much appreciated. xD If you're someone who doesn't think balance is a good school, I really hope this has kind of cleared it up for you.
Another thing people say is that past level 30 you don't really get any good spells. Whilst it's kind of true, many skilled balance wizards (usually levels 70 to 100) use their old spells and make them good. In the end of the day, it's what balance is for. For instance, I have a level 100 balance friend, and he uses the simple sandstorm but uses little tactics (blades, traps, critical, etc.) to make it do shocking damage.
So yeah! Whatever your thoughts are, please comment them down below. See you in the spiral!
Alexis Winterblood, level 39

P.S. Balance is awesome ;w;

Survivor
Jan 26, 2011
I COMPLETELY agree with you. Balance can be tough at times, but a pack of balance is very dangerous. Sometimes I am like " Ok i am bored right now, OH HEY look! its another balance" I have been looking for other balance posts that say that others like you understand me and I found one!

Thank you so much,

Melissa GoldenGem 41

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
no school is inherently good or bad~ it depends on your play-style.

me, i'm a storm girl, through and through; go big or go home, that's how i roll. but my first wizard was balance, and it took me a lot longer to 1) bond with the character and 2) play her effectively. in fact, i was level 60 before i really started to enjoy the school, having learned to make the most of what resources i did have.

if you play balance first, all the other schools will be super-easy by comparison.

the only one i really don't care for is myth, and my grandmaster conjurer is my least-played character. maybe that will change when he hits level 60, but i'm not optimistic.

-von

exalted
trans
grand
magus

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
I agreed with you. doesn't have any true strength or weakness, it's flexible. So say, this person has played with let's say 3 other schools that are not Balance. I'm NOT saying they are bad, just more straightforward. Like has to do damage, has to heal etc. So this person comes up with a "straightforward" way of using Balance, but because Balance is more flexible, you can invent other strategies. So I think when people's morale is shattered they're too bored to find other ways to use Balance and go to another school. If you want a guide on Balance, check out "Mercenaries for Hire: Dedicated to helping you conquer the Spiral". They have a guide for every school, ranging from gear, to spell deck, to training points. As Arthur Wethersfield once said:

"Notice how they all claimed to be the best school? They are, in a way."

Survivor
Jun 14, 2013
EmmaAinRI on May 17, 2015 wrote:
I COMPLETELY agree with you. Balance can be tough at times, but a pack of balance is very dangerous. Sometimes I am like " Ok i am bored right now, OH HEY look! its another balance" I have been looking for other balance posts that say that others like you understand me and I found one!

Thank you so much,

Melissa GoldenGem 41
Aw that's awesome! I'm glad that you agree o; I feel like balance, at many times, is underestimated - but a good balance wizard would know otherwise. xD

P.S. No problem!

Survivor
May 15, 2015
EmmaAinRI on May 17, 2015 wrote:

Thank you so much,

Melissa GoldenGem 41
uh yeah definatley I used to have a level hmm 60 somethin balance. Your right. Balance is flexible and yes, sometimes it does get boring. But in the end it is a great school

Kane Ashbane lvl 10 (im not a noob)

Kane Stormcrafter lvl 5

p.s. i started a new account

Survivor
Jan 26, 2011
WisdomKeeper01 on May 18, 2015 wrote:
uh yeah definatley I used to have a level hmm 60 somethin balance. Your right. Balance is flexible and yes, sometimes it does get boring. But in the end it is a great school

Kane Ashbane lvl 10 (im not a noob)

Kane Stormcrafter lvl 5

p.s. i started a new account
That is true i have seen a Youtube video showing all balance spells at max. I got to 42 a night or 2 ago and did a happy dance. :sighs: only 58 levels left! P.S. Try finding me in Mooshu!

- Melissa GoldenGem Level 42

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
I've deduced that balance is a least favorite school because it takes more thought and skill than many of the other schools.
I do not mean to say that the other schools are easy to play, I only mean to say that when it comes to skill requirement balance takes the lions share.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2014
I guess you can tell by my forum name that I love balance . Balance is the last word in helping others if that's what you enjoy about the game . I never find that boring and it seems everybody wants to be my friend .
It's the school that can turn a good hitter into a GREAT hitter with all the blades they offer and it's the one the hitters want to have on their team if they want to try for the "one in a million badge" .
, if set up right , makes a good healer's helper or trap setter too . A welcome addition to any serious team .

On top of everything else balance is a pretty heavy damage dealer in their own right if they maximize their resources .

Level 100 and loving it .

Survivor
Jun 14, 2013
Thanks guys! I really love reading everything you guys have to say about balance and it's definitely reassuring to have other balance peeps out there kind of formed into a group. I mean, there's a lot of great things about balance out there that I feel is overlooked. So yeah, thanks guys!

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
My very first wizard was balance and it was a blast! It's like I was mean to be with this school, I was puzzled at first why every other school had a building, then I found out that our main school was in another world, then I knew we were special.

My next school was fire and it's so awesome! Probably because dragons are my favorite mythical creature, but balance will always be my all time favorite school!

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
At level 39 you are enjoying the extreme power of the judgement spell, one of the best spells in the game for younger wizards. As you advance into higher levels, other schools will obtain more powerful attacks that eventually reduce judgement from outstanding to mediocre. What you will find is balance has a serious lack of damage modifiers, especially blades. Most schools have at least a 35% school blade, balance's is only 25%. Other schools can take advantage of the balance elemental and spirit blades, balance gets those for free but they are nearly useless as they don't affect balance damage. And other schools can buy treasure card blades at the Krokotopia library, no vendor in the game sells balance blade treasure cards. By the time you get to Avalon, where most bosses have over 10,000 health, doing enough damage with balance to take them down gets very difficult compared to other schools, you simply can't do as much damage.

Balance can be fun, but at higher levels you will gradually have to give up solo play and accept a role as support, casting extra blades and healing spells for other people in groups.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
DanTheTerrible on Jul 30, 2015 wrote:
At level 39 you are enjoying the extreme power of the judgement spell, one of the best spells in the game for younger wizards. As you advance into higher levels, other schools will obtain more powerful attacks that eventually reduce judgement from outstanding to mediocre. What you will find is balance has a serious lack of damage modifiers, especially blades. Most schools have at least a 35% school blade, balance's is only 25%. Other schools can take advantage of the balance elemental and spirit blades, balance gets those for free but they are nearly useless as they don't affect balance damage. And other schools can buy treasure card blades at the Krokotopia library, no vendor in the game sells balance blade treasure cards. By the time you get to Avalon, where most bosses have over 10,000 health, doing enough damage with balance to take them down gets very difficult compared to other schools, you simply can't do as much damage.

Balance can be fun, but at higher levels you will gradually have to give up solo play and accept a role as support, casting extra blades and healing spells for other people in groups.
I disagree 100%. I soloed my Balance wizard all the way up to Morganthe in Khrysalis. You can do plenty of damage on your own. Balance is a great support school, of course, but it can easily stand up alone as well. As for blades, they are only 5% lower than Storm's and there are no shields for Balance.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
My first wizard was balance. I have a total of 11 wizards. And i agree with you, balance is one of my favorite schools. My main balance is exalted with all the darkmoor gear and an awesome polar cat that has balance dealer and balance critical, along with some other talents. Also, affixing jewels can add balance damage. My balance is OP and criticals 99% of the time.