Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hello, My problem; I don't like fishing D:

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
Maybe Lucky Hookline has an answer for this one. Many crafting recipes now require certain types of fish, and at least several of them to craft an item. I can get everything, but the fish. Would you possibly consider creating a fish pack to purchase with some of these crafting fish included? That seems to be a reasonable trade off for people with no desire to fish. Thank you

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Crafting at higher levels requires things that cannot be bought. Fishing is a part of that. There are also regents and treasure cards that must be collected through battle or gardening. It comes down to whether you want the crafted item or spell enough to do the other activities. I don't think that should change. Making everything in the game available to buy makes things kinda boring.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2014
I think the crafting recipes should revert to the way they were before, because not all Wizards are fishermen you know!
------
Stay magical!

Tara StarDust Level 32
Anna SunWhisper Level 12

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
seethe42 on Mar 19, 2015 wrote:
Crafting at higher levels requires things that cannot be bought. Fishing is a part of that. There are also regents and treasure cards that must be collected through battle or gardening. It comes down to whether you want the crafted item or spell enough to do the other activities. I don't think that should change. Making everything in the game available to buy makes things kinda boring.
I agree with you 100%, and I think anyone who enjoys a challenge and the sense of satisfaction that comes from earning something which can't be bought would agree also.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Linking parts of a game that some players don't want to participate in, isn't really a good idea. MMO's have struggled with this problem for years. Activities in games should not be tied to other activities to succeed. If someone wants to be a fisherman, crafter, gardener, or whatever, they should be able to pursue that venue without being held ransom to some other game activity they don't wish to participate in. At the very least, other options should be allowed for success, just as the writer of this thread has suggested.

Explorer
Aug 09, 2013
Sounds fair but if these packs have like 15 fish a pack then they should be about 2500 gold (maybe even more) because a lot of us don't have very many crowns (including me.)

Jacob Blue Sword,level 22 Fire Wizard

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Intrepidatius on Mar 20, 2015 wrote:
Linking parts of a game that some players don't want to participate in, isn't really a good idea. MMO's have struggled with this problem for years. Activities in games should not be tied to other activities to succeed. If someone wants to be a fisherman, crafter, gardener, or whatever, they should be able to pursue that venue without being held ransom to some other game activity they don't wish to participate in. At the very least, other options should be allowed for success, just as the writer of this thread has suggested.
They chose to craft. It's part of the requirements of crafting. This suggestion just allows them to buy their way through and bypass the activity and crafting altogether. Part of crafting IS collecting the needed reagents whether it be from the Bazaar, collecting, gardening, fishing, trading cards... Crafting by it's nature uses other activities. It should not be completely bypassed and turned into just buying the items.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
What I love about Wizard 101, are all the choices players have. Just as you can't stop me from fishing all I want, I can't stop you from going to the bazaar or a fishing vendor to simply buy all the fish you want (subject to availability).

Many wizards simply enjoy earning crafting regents over time; while other wizards prefer being super efficient and fast in all of their crafting pursuits.

Wizard 101 is a fantastic, fun game that's continued to evolve and grow beyond what players could do when the game first came out. And when enough paying members request the same change or modification; its only a matter of time before such requests are honored. And no amount of fist waving and pumping, stamping my feet, or holding my breath until I pass out will alter this fact.

Thankfully, I'll continue to get to fish to my heart's content; and you get to do whatever it is you want (even if this means, you can readily buy fish and other crafting items at the bazaar, through some in-game vendor, or in crown shop).

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
seethe42 on Mar 20, 2015 wrote:
They chose to craft. It's part of the requirements of crafting. This suggestion just allows them to buy their way through and bypass the activity and crafting altogether. Part of crafting IS collecting the needed reagents whether it be from the Bazaar, collecting, gardening, fishing, trading cards... Crafting by it's nature uses other activities. It should not be completely bypassed and turned into just buying the items.
I didn't say I agreed that a cash option was warranted. There simply needs to be a different option available for those who don't wish to participate in certain areas of the game. Forcing someone to participate in areas of a game they dislike, doesn't make good business sense. There are plenty of other options available to fix this problem, rather than just ignore their plight.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Intrepidatius on Mar 21, 2015 wrote:
I didn't say I agreed that a cash option was warranted. There simply needs to be a different option available for those who don't wish to participate in certain areas of the game. Forcing someone to participate in areas of a game they dislike, doesn't make good business sense. There are plenty of other options available to fix this problem, rather than just ignore their plight.
No one is forcing anyone into crafting gear. Plenty of people choose not to. Making crafting into something that can be bought IS exactly what this idea proposes. Crafting is an option, you don't have to do it to succeed in the game at all. It's one bonus for doing certain activities. Just like players who choose to PvP get exclusive rewards that people who can't stand PvP cannot get.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
See, I knew there were some good ideas out there waiting to be outlined.

Yes, I see the game evolving and the all the New Worlds are great. And because I think most of us are drawn to the game with challenge in mind. But, it seemed mostly with idea of battling the bad guys, or the funny looking creatures. It seemed throughout the game there were always some things you couldn't get around. So, fighting hard bosses for drops gathering up a good number of reagents, or transmuting for those hard to get ones didn't seem so difficult for the reward. Such as in crafting the much better gear to fight these bad guys.

Gardening, for me, leaves something to be desired. I don't mind the TC's or good level snacks from them, or gold so I do some of it and over time at the top level. What seemed unfair is that I would lose a lot of energy then not be able to train my pets. So it's sort of a trade off. And, something I think fishing needs.

But the ideas everyone seemed to have, I thought were good. Make these fish available from different resources. Let people sell them at the bazaar for there overstock, keeping there rare ones or option of selling for a good price. At least I did find amber and turquoise once in great while at the Bazaar. And so, I should be able to find fish somewhere else besides standing at the pond. So, ways such as fighting to drop some of these rare fish needed to craft, should be an option as well as purchase at Bazaar, with crowns, or gold. I think it's all about options in the long run. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Intrepidatius on Mar 21, 2015 wrote:
Where do you stop though? I like some crafted items, but I don't like crafting. Waiting for timers to reset, etc, etc, can't I just buy the Grizzleheim house instead?

I like badges, but I don't like PvP, pet racing, or repeatedly fighting the same enemies over and over again to reach the tiers when I don't have relevant quests causing me to participate in duels against those enemies. Can I just buy the badges and bypass all of that?

I understand the frustration with collecting reagents and other items for crafting. But at least with fishing you have a really good chance of getting the fish you need, in a timely manner for most of them. I have one wizard that's still stuck on the Azteca crafting quest because he can't get a Potent Trap treasure card drop, and I can't trade any of the dozen or so I've gotten with my other wizards who have completed the quest already.

However even making a treasure card like that available for trade or purchase from the Bazaar (even if it has level restrictions on it like some other cards) makes more sense than being able to buy fish. Why? Because fish catches are tracked. Type, size, how many fish you've caught (of both individual species and overall catches)... all of that is tracked in your fishing log. There are no reagents, treasure cards, or other items that are tracked in the same way as fish.

Could a bypass be created to exclude bought fish from the log? I suppose. However people have spent hours over the course of days and weeks trying to land things like a Goldfin-ger, Polar Bearacuda, or Sturgeon General and someone's going to come along, buy a pack of fish, and just get one? That would make a lot of customers irate, and that doesn't make good business sense neither.

I'll be honest though, I find fishing a lot less tiresome and a lot more rewarding than sitting around at the Bazaar refreshing the list every couple of seconds hoping the rare reagent I'm looking for to craft an item suddenly becomes available, and then trying to grab it before someone else does. If anyone can tolerate Bazaar hunting, fishing should be a piece of cake.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
Jacob BlueSword on Mar 20, 2015 wrote:
Sounds fair but if these packs have like 15 fish a pack then they should be about 2500 gold (maybe even more) because a lot of us don't have very many crowns (including me.)

Jacob Blue Sword,level 22 Fire Wizard
This is kingsisle they would have 7 fish and be sold for crowns not gold were lucky we can get rides and houses for gold on pirates 101 you can't get rides for gold only houses .But still there should be a option for the crafting with fish It's not easy to get the required fish all the time. I have 6 wizards and have only been able to catch 2 cat fish between them you can't trade fish so that recipe is on hold for a while. summerblade is right there should be a better option to this problem.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
High Five Ghost on Mar 22, 2015 wrote:
Where do you stop though? I like some crafted items, but I don't like crafting. Waiting for timers to reset, etc, etc, can't I just buy the Grizzleheim house instead?

I like badges, but I don't like PvP, pet racing, or repeatedly fighting the same enemies over and over again to reach the tiers when I don't have relevant quests causing me to participate in duels against those enemies. Can I just buy the badges and bypass all of that?

I understand the frustration with collecting reagents and other items for crafting. But at least with fishing you have a really good chance of getting the fish you need, in a timely manner for most of them. I have one wizard that's still stuck on the Azteca crafting quest because he can't get a Potent Trap treasure card drop, and I can't trade any of the dozen or so I've gotten with my other wizards who have completed the quest already.

However even making a treasure card like that available for trade or purchase from the Bazaar (even if it has level restrictions on it like some other cards) makes more sense than being able to buy fish. Why? Because fish catches are tracked. Type, size, how many fish you've caught (of both individual species and overall catches)... all of that is tracked in your fishing log. There are no reagents, treasure cards, or other items that are tracked in the same way as fish.

Could a bypass be created to exclude bought fish from the log? I suppose. However people have spent hours over the course of days and weeks trying to land things like a Goldfin-ger, Polar Bearacuda, or Sturgeon General and someone's going to come along, buy a pack of fish, and just get one? That would make a lot of customers irate, and that doesn't make good business sense neither.

I'll be honest though, I find fishing a lot less tiresome and a lot more rewarding than sitting around at the Bazaar refreshing the list every couple of seconds hoping the rare reagent I'm looking for to craft an item suddenly becomes available, and then trying to grab it before someone else does. If anyone can tolerate Bazaar hunting, fishing should be a piece of cake.
Not to mention. Fish can be traded between wizards on your account by using aquariums. Unlike TC like potent.

Explorer
Feb 17, 2011
In my opinion, if you can buy everything in Wizard101 without having to work for it, then the game would be pointless. If you can't get the reagents for the crafting recipe, then it isn't meant for you to craft it, at least that's how i look at it. What you need to do is find a way to fish up the fish you need, even if it takes hours. It is not impossible to find a way to fish up the fish you need. Wizard101 has things like that so others can enjoy the game, if they make packs and get rid of fishing, it would ruin the game for fishers all around the spiral. If you want something just for yourself without thinking of others, that's what i call selfish. Wizard101 isn't about giving away free stuff, it;s about working for it. If you can't work for it one way, try another way. If you go to Duelist101.com fishing guide, you can see where the fish you need are, what school they are, their rank, and initial xp they give. I don't like some things in Wizard101 that i need, but i still find a way to do them to get the things done.

Sorry for topic hopping, but i was just typing the my thoughts out in no particular way, if it needs to be retyped so it's easier to understand, just let me know.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
Hello, I just read the new blog about jewel crafting! I always thought this would be effective when I first purchased a jewel craft table only to find it was just a housing ornament. At first, I believed jewel crafting was available with this table. "Now that's something a real wizard would be interested in doing"! I would find that fascinating. Unless, it's required to craft a certain gem with a fish.

But I'm still not going to be a fisher wizard. Maybe, when I see Malistaire sitting around the spiral with his pole in the pond, I'll consider it. Although, I've seen the posts about it not being fair having the ability to craft fish or buy, I find this a little disingenuous. You can choose to go and buy a bundle including a castle from the store, or you can choose to create and craft a home. I personally don't like building a castle with blocks, maybe some do, and they can. But it's not a requirement to do better in the game. In my opinion, fishing should not be required to craft better snacks, housing, or gear. If you like to fish, just fish and fish for gold, or maybe just because you like it. Some people like to do certain things and some don't. You can choose to craft certain gear with better stats, or you can purchase a million packs hoping for a drop of jade gear or special mount or many other such things.
But building a better mouse trap isn't always the answer, and in this case, it's fishing.

Ideally, I think Kings Isle would hope that you choose to purchase some things with money. And so, I am hoping that they will consider "all other options" for those non-wizard fisher people.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I don't agree with the cash/buying option, but there should be other avenues for quest completion open to players. It has been tried with success in several popular mmorpg's and would work here as well. Also, it does not lessen a completion requirement; it simply offers alternate methods of completing the quest. The alternate methods also require more work, but still gives people a chance to do/complete something they wish to participate in. This is in no-way a short cut. People who wish to complete the quest the original way, may continue to do so, while those who decide to take a alternate/difficult route, may have that option.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
summerblade08 on Mar 19, 2015 wrote:
Maybe Lucky Hookline has an answer for this one. Many crafting recipes now require certain types of fish, and at least several of them to craft an item. I can get everything, but the fish. Would you possibly consider creating a fish pack to purchase with some of these crafting fish included? That seems to be a reasonable trade off for people with no desire to fish. Thank you
Why don't you like fishing? Is it because you're not good at it, or you find it boring, or some other reason? I enjoy it myself, and think it was a nice addition to the game. Getting all the fish available kept me occupied until the next update came out, so I was just curious to know why you dislike it.

Wolf Windrider
Exalted and Fish Whisperer

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Intrepidatius on Mar 25, 2015 wrote:
I don't agree with the cash/buying option, but there should be other avenues for quest completion open to players. It has been tried with success in several popular mmorpg's and would work here as well. Also, it does not lessen a completion requirement; it simply offers alternate methods of completing the quest. The alternate methods also require more work, but still gives people a chance to do/complete something they wish to participate in. This is in no-way a short cut. People who wish to complete the quest the original way, may continue to do so, while those who decide to take a alternate/difficult route, may have that option.
If I understand you correctly, your suggestion is more to remove fish from crafting recipes all together?

If that's the case, I am relatively indifferent. I haven't yet found a recipe I want to craft that requires fish. If I did it wouldn't bother me because I don't mind fishing. But if they were to remove it, it also wouldn't bother me.

I agree with you that if they replace the fish component of a crafting recipe with another component that's equally challenging to obtain, a person can't really claim anybody was taking short cuts. The only place where short cuts would cause objections would be on buying fish. If it was limited to Dekois, I'm sure nobody would care. But buying some of the other extremely difficult to find fish... that would really irk some people.