Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Darkmoor/Malistaire

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 15, 2012
Been playing wizard now for 3 years. Start with my kids, and at one point was 5 of us. And I know we spend a bit to much first year, lol... But was fun... I play a MMO call Everquest for 14 years. With a Lot farming, camping, Raids for hours all week. I was done with all that farming and raiding and wizard look like a fun easy going game.

Hades made my wife and kids quit. Kids just didn't had the time to spent and i would not let them do what i did for so many years. Wife just say that was boring. Do the same thing over and over for nothing.

Now Darkmoor is out. I seen a few of last friends quit now because the farming. I am not sure how many times i have done Malistaire. I know I have now 37 gold keys just from him. and no gear yet. I understand the luck part, but is a bit ridiculous. Not a super easy place if you don't get a good team. And some times people lose connection to not come back, or other things. So to finish for at least 37 times( i know is way more them that) and haven't got any of the tier 1 gear? is not fun anymore, and i am back to raiding and farming, but way more repetitive and i see no rewards at all. At lest on a guild people know what they are doing... and gear will always drop, is just about having the ROP to win. what at this point i would.

Anyway, I am a bit frustrated, and i know a few others are... a simple thing, that could make a bit better, at the end of the dungeon, why not get a type coin( like the emote) that when you have so many you could buy the gear from a vendor? so a person with out the luck as some have, still would see there work not waste. I am not asking to be one run. But 20, or 30 runs should equal a one item?

Anyway, Thanks and sorry for the typing... english is a second lenguage

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
There's growing support for a "token system" like you have described, so we aren't forever held at the mercy of the ruthless random number gods. I hope it happens, clearly you've put in the effort, I think that's worth a reward.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
"Hades made my wife and kids quit"
"I seen a few of last friends quit now because the farming."

So don't do it. There was never any need to farm Hades. You can do it once or skip it. Same with Graveyard. Optional content is optional. I don't understand players who choose to grind, but complain about it. There are lots of other options for gear.

I like the token idea, or something like it. So at least I can count on getting something if I complete X number of runs, even if I have bad luck with drops.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I see no reason why something like this shouldn't be implemented. Other games use this with success, and there is no reason to assume it wouldn't work here.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Wolf Shadow on Dec 19, 2014 wrote:
Been playing wizard now for 3 years. Start with my kids, and at one point was 5 of us. And I know we spend a bit to much first year, lol... But was fun... I play a MMO call Everquest for 14 years. With a Lot farming, camping, Raids for hours all week. I was done with all that farming and raiding and wizard look like a fun easy going game.

Hades made my wife and kids quit. Kids just didn't had the time to spent and i would not let them do what i did for so many years. Wife just say that was boring. Do the same thing over and over for nothing.

Now Darkmoor is out. I seen a few of last friends quit now because the farming. I am not sure how many times i have done Malistaire. I know I have now 37 gold keys just from him. and no gear yet. I understand the luck part, but is a bit ridiculous. Not a super easy place if you don't get a good team. And some times people lose connection to not come back, or other things. So to finish for at least 37 times( i know is way more them that) and haven't got any of the tier 1 gear? is not fun anymore, and i am back to raiding and farming, but way more repetitive and i see no rewards at all. At lest on a guild people know what they are doing... and gear will always drop, is just about having the ROP to win. what at this point i would.

Anyway, I am a bit frustrated, and i know a few others are... a simple thing, that could make a bit better, at the end of the dungeon, why not get a type coin( like the emote) that when you have so many you could buy the gear from a vendor? so a person with out the luck as some have, still would see there work not waste. I am not asking to be one run. But 20, or 30 runs should equal a one item?

Anyway, Thanks and sorry for the typing... english is a second lenguage
You don't need to farm. You can progress in the game without the #1 best gear there is, the gear only makes it easier. I do agree though, it's unfair to have a chance of never getting anything, even if you did 10 000 runs. A token system would be great.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I was a long time Everquest player too. I minimized my gameplay over there, simply because keeping up with a guild "farm" schedule was getting too much. That is what I like about Wizard101, the hardest content is designed for four players max (not 24 or more like other MMOs). It was also depressing to see the item drop, only to lose it in an DKP system (basically someone who has been farming longer than you gets better chances on the roll). So Wizard101's farming system is much better than those MMOs.

Farming has been an integral part of Wizard101 since 2009 when the original Malistaire was available. Players who started after 2009 do not realize we ran Crown of Fire as many times as we do Darkmoor today in order to get the best robe in the game at the time. After Grizzleheim came out, players stopped farming there (and started farming the Coven).

It would seem every MMO is destined to have some sort of farming aspect, but I too love some type of token system that would finally reward you after a set amount of successful runs.

Explorer
Apr 27, 2009
Gemma Luna on Dec 19, 2014 wrote:
"Hades made my wife and kids quit"
"I seen a few of last friends quit now because the farming."

So don't do it. There was never any need to farm Hades. You can do it once or skip it. Same with Graveyard. Optional content is optional. I don't understand players who choose to grind, but complain about it. There are lots of other options for gear.

I like the token idea, or something like it. So at least I can count on getting something if I complete X number of runs, even if I have bad luck with drops.
I agree. You could've just not farmed. I gave up on waterworks after my second try. A lot of people would say that then I don't have good enough gear, but I'm now in Zafaria and soloing most things. I still sometimes go back to the waterworks when I get bored but I don't repeatedly farm it.

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
I think it would be cool if a boss chest is added at the end of the dungeons Tartarus, Waterworks, and Darkmoor that players could spend crowns in to have another chance at getting good gear from those dungeons instead of working for nothing. It can be like the chests most bosses have except that these chests give you a chance at the gear that you were aiming for! That may ease the tension of frustration, stress, and grinding of these dungeons.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2014
I'm a gear and pet freak first and foremost....

I have alot of the first tier Mal gear on my 3 level 100 wizards and only own that awesome Life wand which is cool...it would be nice to have all the best Mal gear sets...however..I've seen the stats online...for me I would mix them up like I do with all my gear for each boss fight...not just have the Mal set say be done...it has it's flaws too...

My wizards have great gear from Hades, Morganthe and Packs...to be honest I'm pretty happy with them the way they are...

btw..the level Mal 100 decks and rings are horrible...crafting and Aquila drops blow them away....

so...don't feel like youre losing out not getting drops...just research the right gear...have fun with Mal and one day when you east expect it you will get a cool piece...

Morgrim, DDS

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Waterworks gear + crafted boots is all you really need. Hades/Darkmoor gear is mostly for PvP, it's highly critical based and critical is too unstable to be really useful in PvE.